USB Portable 3.0/2.0 reliability

I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign
net cafes.

The idea of NOT needing a separate power supply appeals to me, but I
wonder if the portable USB drives are less reliable than using an
internal drive with a usb adapter and separate power supply? Also you
have heat problems with these portable drives that are less of a
problem with a bare internal drive I am thinking.

What factors govern this? How do the newer usb 3.0 portable drives
compare to the earlier ones? Most of the reviews on these portable usb
drives are pretty dismal-lots of complaints. Some recommend just going
with an internal drive and using an adapter. How does reliability vary
when you get beyond 1TB and up?

Also if the portable usb drive fails for some reason connected to it's
interface, I think maybe you will have a hard time removing them and
using them without their internal usb circuit boards??

Solid state drives are OUT due to their increased costs/small sizes.

What's your take on this? Thanks.

0
Anonymous
5/12/2011 11:33:51 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

Anonymous wrote

> I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign net cafes.

> The idea of NOT needing a separate power supply appeals to me,
> but I wonder if the portable USB drives are less reliable than using
> an internal drive with a usb adapter and separate power supply?

Nope except in the sense that you can find that the USB port you are plugging
the drive into isnt always capable of supplying the current it needs.

> Also you have heat problems with these portable drives that
> are less of a problem with a bare internal drive I am thinking.

Yes, but the 2.5" portable drives dont have any particular heat problem.

Bare drives are fine for your house if you dont have
cats or kids, but not great for net cafes.

> What factors govern this? How do the newer usb
> 3.0 portable drives compare to the earlier ones?

Like with any bleeding edge technology, there is quite a bit of bleeding.

And bleeding that you cant necessarily do anything much about
when the driver on the system you are using the portable drive
on needs a driver update to handle USB3 reliably.

> Most of the reviews on these portable usb
> drives are pretty dismal-lots of complaints.

Thats what you always get with the bleeding edge of technology.

> Some recommend just going with an internal drive and using an adapter.

Yes, thats what I do myself. Not very suitable for net cafes tho.

> How does reliability vary when you get beyond 1TB and up?

The most obvious problem is that there arent that many of those
done with 2.5" drives, so you cant port power the ones that use
a 3.5" drive and you have a heat problem with those too.

> Also if the portable usb drive fails for some reason connected to
> it's interface, I think maybe you will have a hard time removing
> them and using them without their internal usb circuit boards??

No, you can always remove the drive and use it as an internal.

> Solid state drives are OUT due to their increased costs/small sizes.

> What's your take on this?

That the net cafe use means that you are a lot better off with
2.5" drives for their portability and being able to power them
from the USB port at least part of the time. You need a drive that
can use external power for when the USB power isnt adequate.

Clearly with the smaller drives, you increase the chance of the USB
power being enough to power the drive, so a pair of say 500GB drives
can make more sense than a single 1TB drive with net cafe use.

I wouldnt consider 3.5" drives for net cafe use.

0
Rod
5/13/2011 12:56:08 AM
On Fri, 13 May 2011 01:33:51 +0200 (CEST), Anonymous
<nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:

>I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign
>net cafes.
>
>The idea of NOT needing a separate power supply appeals to me, but I
>wonder if the portable USB drives are less reliable than using an
>internal drive with a usb adapter and separate power supply? Also you
>have heat problems with these portable drives that are less of a
>problem with a bare internal drive I am thinking.
>
>What factors govern this? How do the newer usb 3.0 portable drives
>compare to the earlier ones? Most of the reviews on these portable usb
>drives are pretty dismal-lots of complaints. Some recommend just going
>with an internal drive and using an adapter. How does reliability vary
>when you get beyond 1TB and up?
>
>Also if the portable usb drive fails for some reason connected to it's
>interface, I think maybe you will have a hard time removing them and
>using them without their internal usb circuit boards??
>
>Solid state drives are OUT due to their increased costs/small sizes.
>
>What's your take on this? Thanks.

Shop around, find a USB box you like, and go with it. Most
of the power converters today handle 120/240, so it does not
matter which voltage--the box gets the right power. Verify
by checking the markings on the power adaptor. Then get plug
adaptors for the countries where you are going. They are
sold by many companies--shop around.

0
Gerald
5/13/2011 2:39:00 PM
"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote in

> Anonymous wrote
>
>> I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3
>> world foreign net cafes.
>
>> The idea of NOT needing a separate power supply appeals to
>> me, but I wonder if the portable USB drives are less
>> reliable than using an internal drive with a usb adapter
>> and separate power supply?
>
> Nope except in the sense that you can find that the USB
> port you are plugging the drive into isnt always capable of
> supplying the current it needs.
>
>> Also you have heat problems with these portable drives
>> that are less of a problem with a bare internal drive I am
>> thinking.
>
> Yes, but the 2.5" portable drives dont have any particular
> heat problem.
>
> Bare drives are fine for your house if you dont have
> cats or kids, but not great for net cafes.

<snip>

Why do you think 3.5 drives are not suitable for net cafes?
Would a 3.5 drive at 5000 rpm and lower cache be more reliable
than one at 7000 rpm and larger cache?
I wonder also for cafe use if it is a good idea to use a surge
protector for power to any separately powered drive.
Are 2.5 drives more inherently more reliable and why? Thanks.
0
Henry
5/13/2011 11:51:51 PM
For sure use a surge protector at cafes. If you can get near a socket to
use. I use a little Trip Lite on my netbook.

One might think that the laptop hard drives may take travelling better,
being meant for laptops, while the desktop drives are meant to be
stationary all their lives.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at
spam@uce.gov
Thanks, robots.
0
Ed
5/14/2011 12:39:55 AM
Henry wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.speed.aaa@gmail.com> wrote
>> Anonymous wrote

>>> I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive
>>> for use in 3 world foreign net cafes.

>>> The idea of NOT needing a separate power supply appeals to
>>> me, but I wonder if the portable USB drives are less
>>> reliable than using an internal drive with a usb adapter
>>> and separate power supply?

>> Nope except in the sense that you can find that the USB
>> port you are plugging the drive into isnt always capable of
>> supplying the current it needs.

>>> Also you have heat problems with these portable drives that
>>> are less of a problem with a bare internal drive I am thinking.

>> Yes, but the 2.5" portable drives dont have any particular heat problem.

>> Bare drives are fine for your house if you dont have
>> cats or kids, but not great for net cafes.

> Why do you think 3.5 drives are not suitable for net cafes?

They cant be port powered, 2.5" drives are designed to be more rugged
because they are used in laptops, and small enough to put in your pocket.

It would be much more of a nuisance to always have to use external power.
With 2.5" drives, they should at least sometimes work fine port powered.

> Would a 3.5 drive at 5000 rpm and lower cache be
> more reliable than one at 7000 rpm and larger cache?

The cache size doesnt affect reliability.

The rotation rate likely doesnt have much effect because its no
rotating when you are carrying it around to the net cafes etc.

> I wonder also for cafe use if it is a good idea to use a surge
> protector for power to any separately powered drive.

Yes, particularly if you are talking about the 3rd world like the OP.

> Are 2.5 drives more inherently more reliable

Yes.

> and why?

Because they most get used in laptops and are designed
to tolerate the sort of physical treatment a laptop often
gets. They are much more rugged shock wise etc.

0
Rod
5/14/2011 1:21:57 AM
It is also possible to find external USB boxes built for 2.5 drives that
have 2 USB connectors to get around the issues when the drive needs more
than a single USB port supplies. Sorry that I can't give a link but they
were available at Frys in the US.

0
edfair
5/14/2011 2:41:50 AM
edfair wrote:

> It is also possible to find external USB boxes built for 2.5 drives
> that have 2 USB connectors to get around the issues when the
> drive needs more than a single USB port supplies.

Its more usual to use a cable with two USB
connectors on the non drive end for that situation.

> Sorry that I can't give a link but they were available at Frys in the US.

0
Rod
5/15/2011 4:59:41 PM
In article <6ffe93fd12eeb10c9179dfe9db046a67@remailer.paranoici.org>,
Anonymous  <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote:
>I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign
>net cafes.

If this was my problem, I would certainly use a small drive that derives
its power from its USB cable. I would not even consider dealing with an
external power supply and power cables.

I have had good results with Toshiba drives.

I have had BAD results with a drive that used the USB 2.0 "micro" cable
port. I could tap this drive VERY gently with my finger, and cause a
computer to disconnect. Reliably. With Windows systems. With a Macintosh
iMac system.

From reading user reviews on Amazon.com, I have come to believe that
this is a common problem, even with Toshiba drives. I have read plenty
of complaints involving USB 3.0 cable port as well. I don't know much
about the different cable types for USB 3.0 (mini? micro?) but I would
certainly educate myself if I had a need for USB 3.0.

I use Toshiba drives with USB 2.0 "mini" cable ports all the time. No
issues.

I am looking forward to feedback to this post. I am interested in other
folks experience with USB port types.
--
David Arnstein                       (00)
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com          {{   }}
> Anonymous  <nobody@remailer.paranoici.org> wrote

>> I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign
>> net cafes.

> If this was my problem, I would certainly use a small drive that
> derives its power from its USB cable. I would not even consider
> dealing with an external power supply and power cables.

> I have had good results with Toshiba drives.

> I have had BAD results with a drive that used the USB 2.0 "micro"
> cable port. I could tap this drive VERY gently with my finger, and
> cause a computer to disconnect. Reliably. With Windows systems. With
> a Macintosh iMac system.

> From reading user reviews on Amazon.com, I have come to believe that
> this is a common problem, even with Toshiba drives. I have read plenty
> of complaints involving USB 3.0 cable port as well. I don't know much
> about the different cable types for USB 3.0 (mini? micro?) but I would
> certainly educate myself if I had a need for USB 3.0.

> I use Toshiba drives with USB 2.0 "mini" cable ports all the time. No issues.

> I am looking forward to feedback to this post. I am interested in
> other folks experience with USB port types.

I only use standard USB connectors and never have any problems.

I use bare Samsung drives in a hard drive docking station most of the time, but not always.

0
Rod
5/26/2011 11:27:52 PM
David Arnstein <arnstein@panix.com> wrote:

> I have had BAD results with a drive that used the USB 2.0 "micro" cable
> port. I could tap this drive VERY gently with my finger, and cause a
> computer to disconnect. Reliably. With Windows systems. With a Macintosh
> iMac system.
>
> From reading user reviews on Amazon.com, I have come to believe that
> this is a common problem, even with Toshiba drives. I have read plenty
> of complaints involving USB 3.0 cable port as well. I don't know much
> about the different cable types for USB 3.0 (mini? micro?) but I would
> certainly educate myself if I had a need for USB 3.0.
>
> I use Toshiba drives with USB 2.0 "mini" cable ports all the time. No
> issues.
>
> I am looking forward to feedback to this post. I am interested in other
> folks experience with USB port types.

Good experiences here with Western Digital HP SimpleSave 1TB
2.5" USB 3.0. Cables sit firmly. Drive runs host-powered and even
does not come with a Y-cable.

Gives about 50 MiB/sec write speed on large files under Linux
with USB 3.0 and LUKS encryption.

I had severe instabilities on newer Dell notebooks with several
different external drives using USB 2.0, including this HP
product. But I think that's not related to the disk but probably
more to the USB system and its drivers. Hopefully this will
become better with newer kernel versions.
0
Lasse
6/15/2011 7:06:46 PM
In article <4p7l0q.ae.19.1@news.alt.net>,
Lasse Kliemann  <lasse-usenet-2011@mail.plastictree.net> wrote:
>Good experiences here with Western Digital HP SimpleSave 1TB
>2.5" USB 3.0. Cables sit firmly. Drive runs host-powered and even
>does not come with a Y-cable.

It does look like a nice drive. I think it uses a mini USB connector
rather than a micro USB connector. What do you think? After a quick
google, I was only able to find a line drawing. No detailed photo.
--
David Arnstein                       (00)
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com          {{   }}
David Arnstein <arnstein@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <4p7l0q.ae.19.1@news.alt.net>,
> Lasse Kliemann  <lasse-usenet-2011@mail.plastictree.net> wrote:
>>Good experiences here with Western Digital HP SimpleSave 1TB
>>2.5" USB 3.0. Cables sit firmly. Drive runs host-powered and even
>>does not come with a Y-cable.
>
> It does look like a nice drive. I think it uses a mini USB connector
> rather than a micro USB connector. What do you think? After a quick
> google, I was only able to find a line drawing. No detailed photo.

The plug is slightly less than 2mm thick, so it's micro.

I'm not sure there are any mini connectors for USB 3.0 out there
at all.
0
Lasse

Good, reliable 2 or 4 bay USB 3.0 disk dock; and USB 3.0 hub
Disk dock: 2 or 4 bays. USB 3.0. (RAID is not a requirement) Hub: 7 - 10 USB 3.0 with ext. power supply. -- "Quotation, n: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another." -Ambrose Bierce ...

if time = 3 seconds, how do i set the values of the time steps 0,0.1,0.2,0.3,0.5,1.0,1.5,2.0,3.0,5.0 to -9999 from time =3 seconds
Hi &nbsp; I have 18 inputs (arrays) which contain certain statistics and if time&nbsp;&nbsp;= 3 seconds, set the values of time step 5.0 to -9999.0. &nbsp; I was wondering if there is an efficient way to do this without using a lot of case statements? &nbsp; Thank you. Hello AdrianT, it's not really clear to me what you want to do... I suspect: you have an array containing values and you want to output them with a fixed timing of 3 seconds: you should use a for loop autoindexing trough your array and sending the value to your indicator/output/whatever. Put a "wa...

[ANN] gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3, gettext_rails-2.0.3
Hi, Ruby-GetText-Package-2.0.3 and the families (gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3 and gettext_rails-2.0.3) are now available. Ruby-GetText-Package is the library/tools for message localization. * gettext - Message localization libraries and tools for all kind of apps/libs. * gettext_activerecord - ActiveRecord Localization * gettext_rails - Rails support with gettext. Changes ------- == gettext-2.0.3, gettext_activerecord-2.0.3, gettext_rails-2.0.3 * Fixed dependencies [Reported by Hans de Graaff] (NOTE) * Rails-2.3.1 and earlier aren't supported. Website ------- ...

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0
Recently; i found myself over at Best Buy and Found a Toshiba Hard Drive,= =20 1 Tb for $99 and i thought; 'That is too good to be true.' and also; Toshiba ??? Would they betray me ? So i bought it. And i did get it to work a little bit, which would suggest that the USB 3.0= cable that came with it, Would work with my MacBook and its USB 2.0 Vulvas= ,=20 but it didn't work very well. The Plug was 'Wiggly' And the Cable that came= with it was like 4 inches long, and it is Very Difficult to find an Extens= ion Cable for this sort of thing. i wanted to just dr...

To 3.0.2 or not to 3.0.2?
I discovered some remaining cmp() in 3.0.1, 38 minutes after Benjamin fixed them. :) Unfortunately, that means porting setuptools to 3.0.1 will be a bit difficult. So my question is: Will there be a 3.0.2 with those fixes, or should I add workaround code for 3.0.1? -- Lennart Regebro: Pythonista, Barista, Notsotrista. http://regebro.wordpress.com/ +33 661 58 14 64 ...

Convert USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 Crazy?
Sounds useless, since most USB 3.0 devices are backward compatible. But ap= parently there's enough slop in the spec so that at least my 3.0 HD won't w= ork with my Netgear WNDR4000 N700 router's USB 2.0 port, and I can't mount = it as a network drive on my Macbook Pro Retina. You'd expect that the comp= atibility is achieved by some part of the doohickies ignoring the 3.0 conne= ctions and shuffling control signals to their 2.0 counterparts. In any cas= e, the Netgear's not smart enough to do that or something. Ideally, what I'd like is to have my USB 3...

akismet 0.1.2, cgiutils 0.3.5, pathutils 0.2.3
Hello All, A new release and two updates. New akismet.py 0.1.2 ================ Python Interface to the Akismet API Version 0.1.2 4th December 2005 http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/modules.shtml#akismet `Akismet <http://www.akismet.com>`_ is a web service for recognising spam comments. It promises to be almost 100% effective at catching comment spam. They say that currently 81% of all comments submitted to them are spam. It's designed to work with the `Wordpress Blog Tool <http://wordpress.org/>`_, but it's not restricted to that - so this is a Python interface to th...

akismet 0.1.2, cgiutils 0.3.5, pathutils 0.2.3
Hello All, A new release and two updates. New akismet.py 0.1.2 ================ Python Interface to the Akismet API Version 0.1.2 4th December 2005 http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/modules.shtml#akismet `Akismet <http://www.akismet.com>`_ is a web service for recognising spam comments. It promises to be almost 100% effective at catching comment spam. They say that currently 81% of all comments submitted to them are spam. It's designed to work with the `Wordpress Blog Tool <http://wordpress.org/>`_, but it's not restricted to that - so this is a Pyth...

Re: 9.3.0
> thanks for your time and help, mark. Does the nameserver have to be edns > aware to do successful zone transfers with bind 9.3.0? no. > Do I have to > list all non-ends master servers in my named.conf to be able to do > zone-transfer successfully. No. The server in question is broken. It is sending malformed answers. > Ladislav > > Mark Andrews wrote: > >>12-Oct-2004 10:12:07.323 zone emirsal.com/IN: refresh: failure trying > >>master 213.42.49.107#53 (source 0.0.0.0#0): unexpected end of input > >> > &g...

#if 0?0?0:0:0
The following 4-lines source fragment test.c (fourth line empty) #if 0?0?0:0:0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} cause: test.c(1) : fatal error C1017: invalid integer constant expression when compiled by cl.exe aka "Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 15.00.30729.01 for 80x86". On the other hand this compile and runs fine. #if 0?(0?0:0):0 #endif int main(void){return 0?0?0:0:0;} Did I hit a but it this compiler's preprocessor? Francois Grieu On 3/30/2010 12:47 PM, Francois Grieu wrote: > The following 4-lines source fr...

USB 3.0 Hub treatment of USB 2.0 connections.
My old USB 2.0 hub (7 port with external power) had been getting increasingly flaky over time with various devices dropping out and re-connecting (printer, keyboard wireless receiver and so on) so I bought a new one. An Anker 7 port USB 3.0 with ext. p/s. I had no USB 3.0 peripherals when I first hooked it up. When looking at system profiler there were no USB 3.0 devices - not even the hub - showing. Fastest interface was shown as 480 Mb/s. Today I received a couple USB 3.0 docks and after initially hooking them straight to the Mac, I tried, as an experiment, passing the...

update Oracle from 10.2.0.2.0 to 10.2.0.2.0
Where can I get the software for 10g 10.2.0.2.0. for Windows XP 32 bit. Thank you very much. "keekee" <moongeegee@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news: f3b21ed0-12fd-4812-b9da-60cf59d508b9@i9g2000yqi.googlegroups.com... | Where can I get the software for 10g 10.2.0.2.0. for Windows XP 32 | bit. | Thank you very much. On Metalink (My Oracle Support). https://support.oracle.com/CSP/ui/flash.html Regards Michel ...

0,0 not 0,0
hi all, i have 2 drawings - ground floor and first floor. when i do an ID on a point on the grid i get the same readings for both drawings however, when i xref one into the other or both into a new drawing they come in in different locations. i've checked they're both using world UCS and the same units. any ideas? i thought with autocad 0,0 was always 0,0? cheers rob "Coro, Rob" <RE-Coro@bdp.co.uk> schrieb: >hi all, > >i have 2 drawings - ground floor and first floor. when i do an ID on a >point on the grid i get the same readings for bo...

(= 0/0 0/0)
Hi, shouldn't > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL or > (= 0/0 0/0) => T instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different from 1/0, which is the non-existent number n such that 1 x n = 0. The actual result of that expression depends of what you think 0/0 is. I personally feel that 0/0 is any number n such that 0 x n = 0, that is all numbers. hal9@cyberspace.org (Hal Niner) writes: > Hi, > > shouldn't > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => NIL > > or > > > (= 0/0 0/0) => T > > instead of giving out division by zero? 0/0 is different fro...

Web resources about - USB Portable 3.0/2.0 reliability - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Reliability - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode - Facebook
Facebook Engineering hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Under the Hood: Hadoop Distributed Filesystem reliability with Namenode and Avatarnode geschrieben. ...

Social Network Downtime Study Shows Facebook’s Reliability Improved as 2008 Progressed
Pingdom has just published the results of their Social Network Downtime in 2008 study, and here are the results: Facebook’s uptime was 99.92% ...

Twitter Blog: Reliability
Twitter Blog Reliability 3103269194557815235 Wednesday, July 21, 2010 When you can’t update your profile photo, send a Tweet, or even sign on ...

Perth lawyer questions reliability of WA Police speed cameras
A PERTH lawyer has questioned the reliability of WA Police speed cameras, claiming the laser speed measuring devices are not “infallible pieces ...

Emirates concerned over A380 superjumbo reliability
... the biggest customer for Airbus' A380 superjumbo, said Sunday it still has confidence in the jetliner despite some concerns about its reliability. ...

24 Hours of Le Mans proves speed helps, but reliability wins
Brian Harper delivers his sleep-deprived musings from the track at 2 a.m.

Sprint Corp (NYSE:S) got a first place ranking for network reliability and call Performance
Sprint Corp (NYSE:S) announced that its San Antonio network shares a first-place ranking for network reliability and call performance, and was ...

BlackBerry PRIV’s first Android software update includes Camera, performance and reliability improvements ...
BlackBerry announced this morning that it's pushing the first major software update to its new Android customers. The recently launched BlackBerry ...

Apple releases iOS 6.1.1 for iPhone 4S to address cellular performance and reliability bugs
... mobile meeting management software. Apple says that the iOS 6.1.1 update addresses the previously discussed cellular performance and reliability ...