Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

0
David
5/3/2006 4:27:15 PM
comp.pc.hardware.storage 8701 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

David D. <dadu@spamme.fr> wrote

> Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

Few are.

> A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

Presumably someone is getting rid of DVD readers that
are pretty useless now with DVD writers so cheap now.

0
Rod
5/3/2006 6:25:30 PM
David D. wrote:

> Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?
>
> A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

Mainly to allow copying from one to the other.  At one time saving wear and
tear on the writer was considered desirable due to their high cost, but
with prices today that's not really an issue anymore.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Previously David D. <dadu@spamme.fr> wrote:

> Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?

> A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

Sounds like a misconfiguration to me. Maybe supported by
a bogus marketing argument. Or mabe somebody bought too
many readers and is getting rid of them this way.

Arno
0
Arno
5/4/2006 4:38:20 PM
"Arno Wagner" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:4buovsF13lu7mU2@individual.net...
> Previously David D. <dadu@spamme.fr> wrote:
>
> > Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?
>
> > A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?
>
> Sounds like a misconfiguration to me. Maybe supported by
> a bogus marketing argument. Or mabe somebody bought too
> many readers and is getting rid of them this way.

Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?

0
Mr
5/4/2006 4:51:20 PM
On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:27:15 +0200, David D. <dadu@spamme.fr> wrote:

>Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?
>
>A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?

I use both on my main PC.  The reader is much better than the writer
at reading marginal or damaged disks (like aging burned disks or
scratched disks), and is faster as well, so I use it for ripping CDs
and DVDs.

That said, it would be easy enough to get by with just a burner, if it
was good at reading marginal disks, and the rest of the PCs around the
home all have single drives.

max

0
max
5/5/2006 1:58:31 AM
Mr Bilderberg wrote:

>Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
>Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?

No.  Why would I want to do that?  If I want to watch a DVD I either
buy or rent it.  Imagine that.

0
chrisv
5/5/2006 12:49:11 PM
On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:51:20 -0700, "Mr Bilderberg"
<ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
>Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?

Still can do that with just one burner and no extra drive of any kind.
With decent DVD burners under $100 (under $50 for cheap models), the
issue of wear is meaningless anyway.

Pop in the original disc, rip to HD, shrink it, burn to blank.
Ripping and shrinking on the fly from DVD to DVD burner is very slow
and can be tedious if there's a coaster and no final ISO image on the
hard drive.
too late.    - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
Spam block in place, no emil reply is expected at all.
0
Impmon
5/6/2006 11:36:56 AM
"Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message news:5d2p52dg31nimv3oceslb17pn464ro1rur@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:51:20 -0700, "Mr Bilderberg"
> <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
> >Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?
>
> Still can do that with just one burner and no extra drive of any kind.
> With decent DVD burners under $100 (under $50 for cheap models), the
> issue of wear is meaningless anyway.
>
> Pop in the original disc, rip to HD, shrink it, burn to blank.
> Ripping and shrinking on the fly from DVD to DVD burner is very slow
> and can be tedious if there's a coaster and no final ISO image on the
> hard drive.
> --
I don't know of any that shrink on the fly.

DVD shrink creates an ISO and burns it. The advantage of ROM plus burner
is you don't have to swap the disc an hour or two after you started.

0
Eric
5/6/2006 12:57:25 PM
Eric Gisin <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Impmon" <impmon@digi.mon> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:51:20 -0700, "Mr Bilderberg"
>> <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
>>> Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?
>>
>> Still can do that with just one burner and no extra drive of any
>> kind. With decent DVD burners under $100 (under $50 for cheap
>> models), the issue of wear is meaningless anyway.
>>
>> Pop in the original disc, rip to HD, shrink it, burn to blank.
>> Ripping and shrinking on the fly from DVD to DVD burner is very slow
>> and can be tedious if there's a coaster and no final ISO image on the
>> hard drive.
>> --

> I don't know of any that shrink on the fly.

> DVD shrink creates an ISO and burns it. The advantage of ROM plus
> burner is you don't have to swap the disc an hour or two after you started.

Pretty minor effect now with the burn being so fast now.

0
Rod
5/6/2006 6:46:53 PM
Previously Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:51:20 -0700, "Mr Bilderberg"
> <ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
>>Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?

> Still can do that with just one burner and no extra drive of any kind.
> With decent DVD burners under $100 (under $50 for cheap models), the
> issue of wear is meaningless anyway.

> Pop in the original disc, rip to HD, shrink it, burn to blank.
> Ripping and shrinking on the fly from DVD to DVD burner is very slow
> and can be tedious if there's a coaster and no final ISO image on the
> hard drive.

Well, that is about what I expect. Though I don't think that this
operation is "modern computing" except for a very small group
of people.

Arno
0
Arno
5/6/2006 10:41:48 PM
Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

>On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:51:20 -0700, "Mr Bilderberg"
><ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
>>Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?
>
>Still can do that with just one burner and no extra drive of any kind.
>With decent DVD burners under $100 (under $50 for cheap models), the
>issue of wear is meaningless anyway.
>
>Pop in the original disc, rip to HD, shrink it, burn to blank.

And if you want to go DVD to DVD direct then a reader & writer is
faster. No?

>Ripping and shrinking on the fly from DVD to DVD burner is very slow
>and can be tedious if there's a coaster and no final ISO image on the
>hard drive.

0
DonLogan
5/7/2006 2:51:35 AM
max <maxicon13@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:27:15 +0200, David D. <dadu@spamme.fr> wrote:
>>
>>Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?
>>
>>A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?
>
>I use both on my main PC.  The reader is much better than the writer
>at reading marginal or damaged disks (like aging burned disks or
>scratched disks), and is faster as well, so I use it for ripping CDs
>and DVDs.
>
>That said, it would be easy enough to get by with just a burner, if it
>was good at reading marginal disks, and the rest of the PCs around the
>home all have single drives.
>
>max

The problem, i believe, is not the read step, but the write step. I
think that there is lots of read/write error checking that occurs
between source & speakers, and I don't have to worry about it.

How does your reader error rate manifest itself?

What i need to know is that my digital source file was written, with
great accuracy, to the target.   So enters "different brands of burn
media".

And the ability to test the output.

duh

0
DonLogan
5/7/2006 3:01:46 AM
Previously DonLogan <xxx@> wrote:
> Impmon <impmon@digi.mon> wrote:

>>On Thu, 4 May 2006 09:51:20 -0700, "Mr Bilderberg"
>><ericgisin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Linux Trolls just don't get modern computing.
>>>Never ripped, (shrunk), and burned a DVD?
>>
>>Still can do that with just one burner and no extra drive of any kind.
>>With decent DVD burners under $100 (under $50 for cheap models), the
>>issue of wear is meaningless anyway.
>>
>>Pop in the original disc, rip to HD, shrink it, burn to blank.

> And if you want to go DVD to DVD direct then a reader & writer is
> faster. No?

>>Ripping and shrinking on the fly from DVD to DVD burner is very slow
>>and can be tedious if there's a coaster and no final ISO image on the
>>hard drive.

0
Arno
5/7/2006 3:42:45 AM
On Sat, 06 May 2006 23:01:46 -0400, DonLogan <xxx@> wrote:

>max <maxicon13@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 03 May 2006 18:27:15 +0200, David D. <dadu@spamme.fr> wrote:
>>>
>>>Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ?
>>>
>>>A DVD writer is also able to read DVD discs, so why two drives ?
>>
>>I use both on my main PC.  The reader is much better than the writer
>>at reading marginal or damaged disks (like aging burned disks or
>>scratched disks), and is faster as well, so I use it for ripping CDs
>>and DVDs.
>>
>>That said, it would be easy enough to get by with just a burner, if it
>>was good at reading marginal disks, and the rest of the PCs around the
>>home all have single drives.
>>
>>max
>
>The problem, i believe, is not the read step, but the write step. I
>think that there is lots of read/write error checking that occurs
>between source & speakers, and I don't have to worry about it.

I've got a long history of chasing deteriorating CDR burns, and some
with DVD burns.  The initial burn is good, the verification is good,
but the disk starts to have errors after a period of time - 6 months,
a year, two years, whatever.

This is a well-documented effect now, and I was one of the early
"alarmists" on this.

I have quite an assortment of CDRs made over the years, on a wide
variety of media and burners, that were unreadable until I got my
current DVD reader (LiteOn 163).  These same disks are unreadable on
my various Plextors, NECs, Teacs, etc.

While the initial write conditions are critical (medium, burner, and
speed), the ability to read disks that have problems is important to
some of us.

>How does your reader error rate manifest itself?

Failed reads and slow reads, getting worse at the outside of the disk.

>What i need to know is that my digital source file was written, with
>great accuracy, to the target.   So enters "different brands of burn
>media".

A post-burn compare will accomplish much of this, of course, but will
not tell you how your media will hold up over the next X years
(whatever's important to you).

There's really no way to test this except to wait.  Lifetime testing
has serious flaws when extrapolated to real-world results, and dye and
reflective layer formulas are constantly changing on OEM disks.  I'm
sure you're aware that brand names mean absolutely nothing.

I see some correlation between brands that fail compare after a
full-speed burn and brands that deteriorate sooner, but it's not super
strong, as many brands considered good back in the day are in my
unreadable pile.

My current best results come from media I've tested on my specific
systems, burned at half the max burner speed, and verified after burn.
This isn't a guarantee, but it has improved the odds a good bit for
me.

>And the ability to test the output.
>
>duh

If it's important to you, you should think about recopying regularly,
or re-verifying to see how the data integrity is holding up.

We all make our tradeoffs between risk and effort, of course.  YMMV,
as always.

max

0
max

FS:FEAR (PC-DVD)Directors Cut,Myst5 (PC-DVD) Limited Edition,Call of Duty 2 (PC)
Selling: *Fear:Director�s Cut Edition (PC-DVD) *Myst 5 End of Ages Limited Edition (PC)(PC-DVD) *Call of Duty 2 (PC) *Serious Sam 2 (PC) *Cabela�s Big Game Hunter 2006 (PC) *Half Life 2 (PC) �all DVDs,CDs and all materials in boxes are as they came originally:mint. Opened boxes,but everything that was in the game boxes is there now,everything in new-condition,CDs/DVDs are flawless��no scratches on CDs or DVDs whatsoever. Fear is brand new,and probably the most original FPS ever. VERY scary game. Director�s Edition includes comic book and extra DVDs with extra content and com...

How to connect a notebook dvd drive to a desktop pc?
Hi everyone. I'd like to connect a Compaq GDR-8081N notebook dvd drive to my desktop pc via the usual ide bus. I just don't know how :-) The connector on the back of the dvd drive looks a little like this (looking at the back of the drive). __________________________________ / \ | --------------------------------- | \__________________________________/ It's a male connector jutting out of the case. The bar in the middle has 34 connection point on top and 34 on the bottom. All I found were adaptors from 44 pins to 40 pins for AT-Bus HDDs. A...

Question on DVD drives -- how to determine if it can write a DVD as storage drive
My system can play DVD's wihtout problems. However, I'm completely at sea in trying to determine if the drive can write a DVD blank as a storage device. Drive will easily create a CD-ROM using the NERO software. Is there a quick-and-easy way of determining if the drive is DVD RW-capable? The front door of the drive does have the DVD symbol with R/RW below it. This looks like a good sign but I'd like to be sure before I cough up the cash for a spindle of DVD blanks. Alternate question: if I use a DVD blank in a drive that is capable of only writing CD-ROM's, i...

media center says it cannot detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive properly?
Last week I just bought a Toshiba A105-S4284 with xp media center 2002 pre-installed and what I am trying to do is watch/edit/make dvd's of the home movies I dubbed on my Magnavox dvd recorder/vcr mwr 20v6 (from vcr to dvd-r) on this laptop, but media center says it cannot detect a video dvd in the dvd rom drive when the dvd is in the drive properly? The dvd works fine when I play it on my tv.The movies were originally recorded on an RCA CC6364 400X Digital Zoom AutoShot Camcorder and i put the little square video tape into a vcr converter and dubbed them onto dvd-r blank disc. Am I using...

Drive multiple DVD burners from PC?
Is it possible to connect multiple DVD burners to a PC to make a small, low-cost DVD duplicator (legit)? I gather one can put multiple IDE controllers into a PC, but from a recent discussion on building RAID systems I gather there could be a problem with throughput. Would hanging drives off USB-IDE controller cables be a better approach? On the s/w side would one use growisofs or cdrecord to write to the drives? ...

To DVD or not to DVD
Just thought I would take the thread out of a link to a review of an adventure game. Why can't game makers supply both DVD and CD formats in the same box? I have only ever seen this once - I think it was The Pandora Directive? Anyway, it was one of the Tex Murphy adventures. After reading about the differences between the DVD and CD versions of Schizm, I thought I would buy the DVD version. Never turned up in the stores here in Australia. Had they put both into the box, it would have been an instant sale. This would allow users to take their time to migrate to DVD. J...

PC to PC
Hello all I have connect licensed. I wondered, is it possible to submit a sas job to remotely run on another pc version of sas (not a server version), or is a server license needed? Thanks Robert Hi Robert It is possible. Here are the things you do: On the remote PC you should have SAS connect spawner service running. Following are the steps on remote pc: 1. Include the following entry in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services file: spawner 4016/tcp #SAS UNINX Spawner 2. Start service by running the following command: c:\program files\sas\8.2\utilities\bin\sastcpd ...

PC to PC
Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC attached.Originally the set up was for the RPC and 1 PC to be on line and also for the RPC to make use of the PCs printer capabilities.The 2nd PC is my daughters and she would like to make use of the Epson photocolour printer without having to shift everything around.But I can't seem to get the 2 PCs talking to one another.Any ideas please? Dave. In article <42f977b64e.daveandsylvia@daveandsylvia.plus.com>, dave <dave@daveandsylvia.plus.com> wrote: > Hi, I have a router to which I have 2 PCs and a RPC ...

CD/DVD romdrives for Risc PC
Has anyone the Pioneer DVD-A06S working on a Risc PC with RISC OS 4.39 ? Because my Kenwood 72x has gone haywire after lots of years working 100%. Kind Regards, WebMaster RISC OS SpaceCenter -- http://www.riscos.datawave.nl - The Website for RISC OS Users ONLY !!!!! ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ _ | _ \_ _/ __|/ __/ _ \/ __| / __|_ __ __ _ __ ___ / __|___ _ _| |_ ___ _ _ | /| |\__ \ (_| (_) \__ \ \__ \ '_ \/ _` / _/ -_) (__/ -_) ' \ _/ -_) '_| |_|_\___|___/\___\___/|___/ |___/ .__/\__,_\__\___|\___\___|_||_\__\___|_| ...

My DVD Drive wont read DVD-RW or DVD+RW
Hi Chaps... Sorry if this is a bit of a long winded post... I have an Acer Aspire 1670 Lap Top fitted with a Pioneer DVD drive model DVR-K14RA. This drive is compatible with DVD-R/RW and DVD +R/RW. My problem is this.. When I load a DVD-RW that has a file on it into the computer and go to My Computer in Windows XP it shows that there is a DVD in the PC but doesnt show how much free space is on it. I use an NIT DVD maker programme to burn onto the DVD-RW. Even odder is that if I keep the disc in the PC it will show that it has a file on it when I view the drive in my computer. If...

Possible to burn to a PC-based DVD drive?
I am a recent "switcher" and so far love my Mac mini. Unfortunately I didn't get the Superdrive as I didn't realize I would like the mini so much that I would be using it as my main computer. I've figured out how to access shared files on my networked Windows PC via smb. Is it possible to be able to burn DVD's from my Mac using the burner in my PC? I was able to set the DVD burner on the PC to be "shared" but haven't tried anything else yet with it. TIA mark Forgot to mention - there's probably a way to export the content as a disk image on...

FS(PC):And Then There Were None,Indigo Prophecy and MYST 5 LE (DVD-PC)
As of this moment,I�m selling these within the U.S. only,please (for various reasons). I may change my mind in the future. Also,unless I�ve dealt with you previously,I must receive funds first prior to sending game(s). Myst 5 End of Ages Limited Edition (PC-DVD) Agatha Christie�s And Then There Were None (PC) Indigo Prophecy (PC) �all DVDs,CDs and all materials in boxes are as they came originally:mint.No copies. Opened boxes,but everything that was in the game boxes is there now,everything in new-condition,CDs/DVDs are flawless��no scratches on CDs or DVDs whatsoever. *...

Why no boot DVD from DVD drive?
My problem: I cannot boot a liveDVD (or any other bootable DVD) from my Sony Vaio P4 box, despite it having a both a DVD and CD-ROM player and with the AwardBIOS 2.3 configed to boot from the DVD player. Why? Live and bootable CDs boot, no problem, from either disc player. But, DVDs, nada. It's not the DVDs, which are burned from .iso via K3B. Not even factory burned DVDs will boot. Settings on Award boot for this drive are: Secondary Master DW-U12A Type Auto PIO Mode 4 UltraDMA Mode 2 spec according to latest lshw: *-firmware descripti...

FS(US):Myst 5 LE(DVD),Indigo Prophecy(PC),And Then There Were None (PC):great prices!
Selling U.S. ONLY (customs is a HUGE hassle sending outside of US. Sorry,folks.) Also,unless I�ve dealt with you previously,I must receive funds first prior to sending game(s). Myst 5 End of Ages Limited Edition (PC-DVD) Agatha Christie�s And Then There Were None (PC) Indigo Prophecy (PC) �all DVDs,CDs and all materials in boxes are as they came originally:mint.No copies. Opened boxes,but everything that was in the game boxes is there now,everything in new-condition,CDs/DVDs are flawless��no scratches on CDs or DVDs whatsoever. ***Myst 5 LE is brand new,large box,containi...

Web resources about - Why are desktop PC sold with DVD writer and Dvd reader drives ? - comp.pc.hardware.storage

Active Desktop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Windows 95 or NT 4.0 with Internet Explorer 4.0, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 Active Desktop was a feature ...

How to put Android on your desktop with Remix OS
Remix OS, which came out recently, is a killer Android variant that brings a slick desktop-style interface to Android. Now, you can install it ...

AMD Announces A10-7890K APU and Upgrades Desktop Platforms
AMD plans to improve performance of its desktop computing platforms by launching a new accelerated processing unit as well as another generation ...

New Remote Desktop client could almost make me a Continuum believer
Remote desktop on the phone screen. (credit: Microsoft) One of Windows 10 Mobile's truly distinctive and unusual features is Continuum . If ...

KillEmAll 5 instantly closes everything on your Windows desktop
... maybe to close all open browser windows if you’ve got a malicious popup but is also a handy timesaver whenever you need to clear your desktop ...

This $79 desktop computer comes preloaded with a huge chunk of the Internet
Tiny, affordable computers are a dime a dozen in 2016, but each has its own unique draw. There's a PC the size of a power adapter from Quanta, ...

Pushbullet Brings Picture Messages (MMS) From Desktop and Improved SMS Reliability
... (Android, Windows, Chrome extension), sending picture messages should be just as easy doing it on any other messaging service. On a desktop, ...

Ubuntu Linux tablet will turn into a makeshift desktop
Want to use your mobile device as a desktop, but would rather not go the Windows route? BQ might have just what you're looking for. The Spanish ...

Solus Operating System 1.0 Provides New Linux Desktop Experience
A feature of the Solus Project's new Linux distribution is the new Budgie desktop environment. Here's what else Solus Operating System 1.0 offers. ...

Why Desktop UX Still Has Something To Teach Mobile
New technologies may usurp old ones nearly every year, but many of us still reach for our old-school laptops. That's no accident. My wife was ...