Help! Help! Help!

My daughter has a Dell 2300 that is coincidentally 1 month past the
warranty.  It will start up and shut off within 1 minute.  It doesn't
matter if I boot from hard drive, floppy, go into safe mode, or go to
setup screen.  I don't know how to try to isolate the problem. (Mother
board, power supply etc.)  Any suggestions?
0
sogs
1/28/2004 6:19:56 PM
comp.pc.hardware.systems 787 articles. 1 followers. rubioxzhimarcelovpa is leader. Post Follow

sogs wrote:

> My daughter has a Dell 2300 that is coincidentally 1 month past the
> warranty.  It will start up and shut off within 1 minute.  It doesn't
> matter if I boot from hard drive, floppy, go into safe mode, or go to
> setup screen.  I don't know how to try to isolate the problem. (Mother
> board, power supply etc.)  Any suggestions?

Sounds like overheating.  If it were mine, I'd open the case and clean
it -- particularly the fans and filters; and make sure the fans all
spin when the power is on.  But it is easy to do damage, by bumping
cables and cards, and by static; if you're not comfortable, take to
a PC shop and have them clean it out.
--
Cheers, Bob

0
Bob
1/28/2004 10:12:45 PM
sogs wrote:

> My daughter has a Dell 2300 that is coincidentally 1 month past the
> warranty.  It will start up and shut off within 1 minute.  It doesn't
> matter if I boot from hard drive, floppy, go into safe mode, or go to
> setup screen.  I don't know how to try to isolate the problem. (Mother
> board, power supply etc.)  Any suggestions?

sounds like a dead cpu fan. Open the case and see if it is still spinning.
Or else it's a dying power supply unit.

0
Species
1/29/2004 12:58:35 PM
Bothe fans in the rear are spinning.  I'm going to look inside to see
what's up.  I'm betting on the power supply.