IBM PS/2 L40 SX

Hi

I placed a post on the newsgroup a while back about an IBM PS/2 L40 SX.
The IBM PS/2 L40 SX I have has a very old power connector and this one did
not have a power supply
I have managed to charge the battery but couldn't get the thing working.
I have converted an old Amiga 1200 Power supply that I had lying around, it
has outputs of +12v -12v +5v and Gnd, so I connected the ground and +12v to
the IBM and it powered up, but won't boot.

It runs through what seems a short mem test and then beeps twice before
powering off.

After reading a bit it seems that in order to boot this machine you need to
boot it from a reference diskette.
I downloaded the Reference Diskette and tried again but apart from the IBM
trying to read the disk it still wouldn't boot.

Any ideas?

Regards

Bill H

--
"It's best to know what your looking for before you start"

E Mail bill_harveyspam@t-online.de
Remove spam to mail
Home Page http://bill_harvey.bei.t-online.de/home%20page.htm

0
Bill
1/13/2004 6:48:44 PM
comp.pc.hardware.systems 787 articles. 1 followers. rubioxzhimarcelovpa is leader. Post Follow

This reference says that the beep code is
system board failure.
http://bioscentral.com/beepcodes/ibmbeep.htm

"Bill Harvey" <bill_harvs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I placed a post on the newsgroup a while back about an IBM PS/2 L40
SX.
> The IBM PS/2 L40 SX I have has a very old power connector and this
one did
> not have a power supply
> I have managed to charge the battery but couldn't get the thing
working.
> I have converted an old Amiga 1200 Power supply that I had lying
around, it
> has outputs of +12v -12v +5v and Gnd, so I connected the ground and
+12v to
> the IBM and it powered up, but won't boot.
>
> It runs through what seems a short mem test and then beeps twice
before
> powering off.
>
> After reading a bit it seems that in order to boot this machine you
need to
> boot it from a reference diskette.
> I downloaded the Reference Diskette and tried again but apart from
the IBM
> trying to read the disk it still wouldn't boot.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Regards
>
> Bill H
>

> --
> "It's best to know what your looking for before you start"
>
> E Mail bill_harveyspam@t-online.de
> Remove spam to mail
> Home Page http://bill_harvey.bei.t-online.de/home%20page.htm

0