Install SATA or IDE Hard Drive into IBM xSeries 330

Hello,
I've recently acquired an IBM xSeries 330 1U server equipped with the
hotswap SCSI backplane. Instead of SCSI, I would like to install SATA or
PATA IDE Hard Drives because of their greater capacity and availability.
The catch is that the 330 doesn't have any 4-pin molex power conectors,
as the SCSI backplane is powered from the motherboard.

Looking through the documents on IBM's support site, I found a reference
to a part# 06P6238 "Cable, hard disk drive 4-pin power." Unfortunately,
I cannot find a description of what this part does. Is it a cable that
attaches to the SCSI power output on the motherboard and provides a
4-pin molex for IDE hard drives?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Brett Simison
0
Brett
9/26/2006 12:55:01 PM
comp.pc.hardware.systems 787 articles. 1 followers. rubioxzhimarcelovpa is leader. Post Follow

How to get Your ATA and SATA hard drives work together on your PC with windows XP with and IDE connection!
IT WORKED FOR ME. HOPE IT WILL FOR YOU. How to get Your ATA and SATA hard drives work together on your PC with windows XP! 1. Install your SATA hard drive on your motherboard using an SATA adaptor. 2. Start windows normally. Right click on my computer 3. Left click on manage. 4. On left, small window, right click on disk management. If you see your new disk, then the computer recognize it but it is not functional yet on you pc 5. Close all windows 6. Go back and open every thing again all the way to #4 7. If you see your new disk on top right small window, right click on it. ...

How to get Your ATA and SATA hard drives work together on your PC with windows XP havin and IDE connection!
How to get Your ATA and SATA hard drives work together on your PC with windows XP! THIS WORKED FOR MR. YOU CAN TRY IT. HOPE IT WILL HELP. 1. Install your SATA hard drive on your motherboard using an SATA adaptor. 2. Start windows normally. Right click on my computer 3. Left click on manage. 4. On left, small window, right click on disk management. If you see your new disk, then the computer recognize it but it is not functional yet on you pc 5. Close all windows 6. Go back and open every thing again all the way to #4 7. If you see your new disk on top right small window, right ...

transfer data from ide drive to new computer with SATA hard drive.
I am interested in purchasing a new gateway #GT5412 desktop computer which comes with a SATA hard drive. My present computer has IDE drives. Are there connections on computers with SATA drives to hook up with an IDE drive so that transfer can take place? best, Aaron One way to do this would be to buy an empty external hard drive case with USB cable, install your old hard drive, and have at it. Another way would be to connect both computers via Ethernet. If they are both connected to an Ethernet router or switch, it is very simple. If they are to be connected directly to one another, ...

want to install old hard drive on newe pc as secondary drive
My brother is sending me his pc. It has Win XP installed as it's operating system. It also has a slot for a secondary IDE. I am currently using a pc with Win 98. And was wondering what the step by steps are on installing my old hard drive on the newer pc? Does the operating system have to be installed? Please be as specific as possible. Oh and he did reformat the drive for me, also. Thanx in advance, Deb magoo2u <dfoley2318@aol-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message news:428f9aba$1_3@alt.athenanews.com... > My brother is sending me his pc. It has Win XP in...

Installed new hard drive, OS X installer doesn't see hard drive when selecting "destination".
....but it does see it when I open Disk Utility. The hard drive doesn't show on the OS X installation step, "Select a destination volume where you want to install the Mac OS X software". Does the drive need to be initialized or something? Some info I found said that a message would come up telling me if it had to be initialized but that didn't happen. I see no option to initialize with the OS X installer disc. It's odd that the installer won't tell me what it needs before I can install on the new drive. Thanks! Jim G4 PowerBook in article 4671E5AF.F1447950...

Mac IDE drives vs PC IDE drives
Do Mac IDE drives follow the same electrical standards as the PC IDE drives? I want to transfer data from an old Performa 637CD to a slot loading iMac running OS 9.1. Since the Performa has no way to directly network to the iMac, I am thinking of pulling the drive and putting it in my external USB drive case. Then I just hook the drive to the iMac and transfer the data. I have done this a lot when pulling drives from old PC's...I just drop the drive in the case and hook it to another PC and I can get the data without problem. Any reason that it won't work on these Mac's? &qu...

install SATA Hard Drive
I know how to install the ATA Hard Drive, How to install the SATA Hard Drive? eg. the device name for ATA is /dev/hda, hdb,hdc... ...

Installing a new SATA hard drive
Hi. Sorry if this question is an obvious one but I'm fairly new to this. I want to install a new larger SATA hard drive, my motherboard supports this although at the moment it has an ATA hard drive. I want to use the SATA as the master and the old drive as a slave. Because my Win XP installation is old and cluttered I plan to install the new drive, format it and install a fresh XP on it before transferring my files from the old drive to the new one. Once this is done I will reformat the old drive for use as a back up. Can I use ATA and SATA in the same system? Will it be pos...

ATA and SATA hard drive in same PC
Hi everyone I have a problem with my hard drives. I have a DELL Dimension 4550 series with these: OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation System Model Dimension 4550 System Type X86-based PC Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2524 Mhz BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 4/22/2003 SMBIOS Version 2.3 Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS System Director...

SATA-II hard drive or IDE?
My motherboard doesn't have SATA support so I would have to get a controller for it (I think they're like $50). Would doing this be worth it for the increase in speed of SATA-II drives or should I just get an IDE drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Superdude wrote: >My motherboard doesn't have SATA support so I would have to get a >controller for it (I think they're like $50). Would doing this be >worth it for the increase in speed of SATA-II drives or should I just >get an IDE drive? Any help would be greatly appreciated. > > Some SA...

HOW2 install the port -> OPENOFFICE to a hard drive other than the installation drive ?
I ran out of disk space and have now installed another drive just so I can run Open Office 1.1.2 under FreeBSD 5.3. As I understand it...the source is stored under /usr/ports/distfiles and the port Makefile is under /usr/ports/editors/openoffice-1.1. I'm designating my extra hard drive as /hd. How should this be accomplished so that I don't run into permission problems, etc., i.e. so that the installation can locate it's requirements as it proceeds ? Thank you, Courtney Courtney Thomas <ccthomas@joimail.com> writes: >I ran out of disk space and have now...

IDE hard-drive into new SATA controller
I just bought a Dell which came with a SATA hard-drive. I want to put my old IDE hard drive into it as a secondary drive, but the connections don't match. Do I need to get a simple IDE-SATA converter (like the one at http://www.computervideogear.com/sata/serial-ata-ide-converter.htm) and just plug it in, or are things more complicated than that? Thanks newrealityseries@aol.com, 4/27/2006, 12:49:36 PM, <1146156576.581151.233780@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> wrote: > I just bought a Dell which came with a SATA hard-drive. I want to put > my old IDE hard drive into it...

dual-boot install with SATA + IDE drives
I'm building a new PC with an Intel 875P chipset that will have: -a pair of SATA drives (either RAID 0 or RAID 1, not sure yet!) on which Windows XP will be installed as the primary OS; - a parallel IDE drive on which I'll install RedHat 9 (for now, and Fedora Core, probably, later) in a dual-boot configuration, with grub as master boot loader; this will be master on the 1st IDE channel; - a CD-RW and a DVD+/-RW on two of the other IDE locations--either one as slave on the 1st IDE channel and the other as master on the 2nd IDE channel, or else the pair onthe 2nd IDE chan...

Web resources about - Install SATA or IDE Hard Drive into IBM xSeries 330 - comp.pc.hardware.systems

Facebook Asks Users To Install Messenger For Windows
Just days after officially rolling out Messenger for Windows , Facebook has begun prompting people to install the application. Some Facebook ...

New ways to reach the right people with mobile app install ads
Since we launched mobile app install ads six months ago, we have added several new features to improve the product for users and developers. ...

Facebook Director of Product Management Doug Purdy discusses Parse, Mobile App Install Ads
... discussed about mobile app discovery difficulties faced by developers. He discussed how developers can use the platform to drive app installations ...

Study: Pre-Roll Ads Dramatically Increasing Ad Block Installs
... study and surveyed 9,000 people. Active users of ad blockers, including mobile, and those who are aware of ad blockers but have not yet installed ...

Google: Cardboard Apps Surpass 25 Million Installs on Google Play
... 2015. According to Google, there are more than 1,000 Cardboard-supported apps on Google Play, with the No. 1 Cardboard app (based on installs, ...

How 'fake' video downloads can install malware
It’s been a common Windows malware trick for years: you download some dubious video, it claims it won’t play unless you install a "codec", but ...

How to install iOS 9.3 and get Night Shift on your iPhone without a developer account
... as earth-shattering either, but there's little question that they have users excited. And as has been the case in the past, you can install ...

SoloPower Systems Installs Ultra Lightweight Solar PV System In South Africa
... atop a factory rooftop in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, as the first stage of a two-phase project. This is [&hellip SoloPower Systems Installs ...