David posts updated News on P-Mail and Mercury

http://www.pmail.com/devnews.htm

"For Pegasus Mail: The recent revelations about the unprecedented intrusion by security
services into material that most normal people would rightly believe to be private has
affected me enormously - I have found the whole "breach of faith" aspect of the saga
incredibly upsetting. As a result, I have made a conscious decision to redirect my current
work efforts in Pegasus Mail towards increased security and privacy. I am now adding
strong encryption facilities to the program, with the particular aim of making them so
easy to use that there will be no reason not to do so. The new Contact Manager, already a
pivotal feature for version 5, becomes even more important when seen in this light: I have
now found and implemented a fully-encrypted version of the SQL database I use for the
Contact Manager, meaning that even if someone steals your contact file, it will be useless
to them. I have also heavily beefed-up the provisions for storing encryption-related
settings and certificates in the Contact Manager. In time, I will also support encrypted
folder formats in the program, and we will finally have a truly secure mail client. Other
work in Pegasus Mail has involved completely replacing the spelling checker with a full
multi-lingual version based on the same spelling checker as used in OpenOffice and Libre
Office, completely rewriting the program's TCP/IP module to use OpenSSL and fixing a host
of small bugs. We hope to have an early edition of Pegasus Mail v5 available at least for
public preview early in the New Year.
Finally, on a personal note, I feel I have to apologize for communicating poorly. It's
kind of ironic that I got into this field because I was passionate about making it
possible and easy for people to communicate with each other, but that I'm not actually
that good at doing it myself. For the most part, it's simply a case of burn-out - I've
been handling too much mail for too many years (nearly twenty-five years, in the case of
Pegasus Mail), and I've reached a point where I rapidly become overwhelmed by even quite
modest volume. This doesn't mean that my commitment to my community is any the less, though:
I remain totally and utterly devoted to providing tools that fit the needs of my people,
and to ensuring that they remain as relevant and capable as it is in my power to make
them."

--
Dave
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

0
David

I use Pegasus Mail to filter E-mail and block spam for FREE, all spam.pnp updates posted here!
I was using Pegasus Mail in the 90's and recently decided to look at it again. The author's web site is http://www.pmail.com and he has continued its development into something incredibly useful. Most amazing of all is that he keeps it free by only selling the documentation.. Anyway, in addition to its neat automatic spam content filter, you can create and utilize custom filters which will in fact filter everything and do so on the server side, if you tell it to. I figured it all out in one night using the HELP INDEX included with Pegasus Mail. The filter file I...

From David Harris: Pegasus Mail and Mercury live again.
[posted today to the PMail mailing lists by David Harris] This is necessarily a very long message - I apologize for that now. If you don't want to read it in its entirety, then here is an executive summary: * In response to overwhelming feedback, I have decided to restart development of Pegasus Mail and Mercury. * Pegasus Mail will probably become "donationware" with a regular reminder to donate (you can select the period - 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 1 year). There will be no obligation to donate. Sites will be able to pay a small amou...

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

Mercury Mail Mailing List
I'm trying to set up a mailing list with Mercury /32 v4 and I'm having problems. I hope this is the right place to seek help. To the best of my knowledge, I created the list correctly. I added a couple of accounts to the subscription list. However, when I send a message to the list, it never gets distributed, and the sending account gets a bounce back email stating that "the user doesn't exist". So.. my questions are: 1. Does the mailing list address have to exist as a user account in Mercury? During my trouble-shooting, I thought that it might, so I cre...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Pegasus Mail freezes when sending mail
Hello, We have Pegasus Mail version 4.41 set up on a Windows Network. The programs are run in workstation mode so that they are running the executables off the network. We are using a roaming profile. We have one particular computer that intermittently freezes up when sending mail. This workstation is a Windows XP Professional SP2 machine. The program becomes unresponsive (eternal hourglass), and even manually ending the program from task manager won't work. The person using this workstation tells me it seems to happen more when replying to messsages from a user than when ...

Setting up domain mail with mercury mail
Hi, I'm trying to set up Mercury Mail Transport to receive mail from a pop3 account for my domain and locally distribute to individual users. This seems to be fairly easy to set up but I've got a few questions about how this works. Does the Mercury POP3 client delete messages from the POP3 server when it collects them? Is it possible to have it leave the mail on the domain server but delete mail that is a specified number of days old? If so, how do I set it up this way? I didn't see any options for leaving or deleting mail in the client configuration window... Thanks...

Old News (New Post Without Mail Follow-up): Worm Hits Windows-based ATM's
http://news.com.com/2100-7349_3-5117285.html?tag=nefd_top I'm actually going to go and check with my bank to find out what they're using for their ATM...anyone have any info on Citibank ATM's and what OS they use? Diebold made the mistake of moving away from OS/2 over to Windows XP Embedded and look where it got them. All because the customer is uninformed of exactly what problems Windows brings to a financial institution. If Citibank is using Diebold/Windows ATM's, then I am going to seek another bank. Windows really is bad for the economy. Update: I contacted Citibank a...

Check Mail returns no mail when in fact there is mail
On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer (which connects directly to the DSL without utilizing the wireless connection). I can send mail from the laptop just fine using Eudora. I get no error...

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Problem running Pegasus mail across a P-2-P network
When I try to launch my Pegasus mail program from my portable, the splash screen flashes on and then nothing happens. I have a home network including my desktop under Win2000 running across a Linksys 54 Mb wireless connection and a portable (Win XP with a *wired* connection) with my mail storage folder on the desktop and the Pegasus PMail folders on drive C: on both. After much fruitless faffing around with pmail.cfg and pmail.ini I discovered that Pegasus ran OK if I first started Explorer and had opened the mapped, shared 'Mail' folder. A late look at the mapped ...

Web resources about - David posts updated News on P-Mail and Mercury - comp.pegasus-mail.windows

File:Updated DYK query.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This file contains additional information, probably added from the digital camera or scanner used to create or digitize it.If the file has been ...

Aiken Standard - Local News Updated throughout the Day
Your Source for local news in Aiken, South Carolina. Visit our site for recent updates, video, breaking news, and much more.

Attention, Facebook Camera Users: Make Sure You Have Updated To Version 1.1.2
Users of Facebook’s Camera iOS application might want to make sure they have updated to version 1.1.2, as Facebook confirmed a bug in older versions ...

→ Apple Bug Reporter updated for the first time since 1875
Now my bugs can get ignored for months and then hastily and unhelpfully closed in a much nicer-looking interface.

Crony Capitalism on Steroids from GE to Solyndra (UPDATED) - Facebook
Sarah Palin hat eine Notiz mit dem Titel Crony Capitalism on Steroids from GE to Solyndra (UPDATED) geschrieben. Du kannst den vollständigen ...

Graph API v2.1 and updated iOS and Android SDKs
**Graph API v2.1 and updated iOS and Android SDKs**

UPDATED: Facebook’s PTAT disappearance was a coding flaw
There were rumors swirling earlier that Facebook would scrap the popular people talking about this (PTAT) metric, and several people noticed ...

Alan Rickman Dead At 69 (Updated)
His roles included "Truly, Madly, Deeply," "Love Actually," and the Harry Potter films, in which he played Dark Arts teacher Severus Snape. ...

Weather Geek Report: Tracking Friday's Major Winter Storm (UPDATED)
More than a foot of snow is possible from West Virginia to Virginia and Maryland.

NPR One for iOS updated with CarPlay support, bug fixes
The NPR One app for iOS has been updated today with support for Apple’s in-car infotainment system CarPlay. The update bumps the app to version ...