Filtering IMAP mail

Hello all,

At  work I have a POP3 account for external mail and
an IMAP (Exchange) account for internal, and I  want
letters  from the latter account automatically go to
my main mailbox, to which the POP3  account  is  at-
tached.

I can't seem to find a suitable kind of rule:

  a.  New  mail  rules  are only applied to the "New
      mail" folder.

  b.  General rulesets are triggered only manually.

  c.  POP3 rules don't work with IMAP.

Can Pegasus be configured to automatically move  new
mail  from an IMAP "New Mail" folder to its own "New
Mail" folder?

Anton
0
Anton

Anton Shepelev wrote:

> Can Pegasus be configured to automatically move  new
> mail  from an IMAP "New Mail" folder to its own "New
> Mail" folder?

Not as you desire.
0
Guy
1/30/2012 4:47:19 PM
On article <20120130172930.5a8eb8b7.anton.txt@g{oogle}mail.com>, Anton Shepelev
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> At  work I have a POP3 account for external mail and
> an IMAP (Exchange) account for internal, and I  want
> letters  from the latter account automatically go to
> my main mailbox, to which the POP3  account  is  at-
> tached.
>
> I can't seem to find a suitable kind of rule:
>
>   a.  New  mail  rules  are only applied to the "New
>       mail" folder.
>
>   b.  General rulesets are triggered only manually.
>
>   c.  POP3 rules don't work with IMAP.
>
> Can Pegasus be configured to automatically move  new
> mail  from an IMAP "New Mail" folder to its own "New
> Mail" folder?
>
> Anton

It seems to me what you are describing is more a POP3 behavior, not IMAP. The
IMAP protocol is meant to keep all your messages AT server. On the other hand,
the POP3 protocol is meant to download all messages from server (moving, as you
said) to your local HD. Apples and oranges.

Maybe what you want is a POP3 download of "unread mail only", so you'd have all
messages at your local mailbox (for fast access) and at remote server (for
extra safety/backup).

--
Kind regards,
Euler German

Please, reply preferably to the list.
Due to spam I'm filtering-out GoogleGroups. Sorry. :(
0
Euler
1/30/2012 5:23:10 PM
Euler German:

> It  seems  to me what you are describing is more a
> POP3 behavior, not  IMAP.  The  IMAP  protocol  is
> meant  to keep all your messages AT server. On the
> other hand, the POP3 protocol is meant to download
> all  messages from server (moving, as you said) to
> your local HD. Apples and oranges.

Excactly.  But at work I am already  given  an  IMAP
account  for inside mail and POP3 account for exter-
nal mail; and I want mail both the sources to be di-
rected  to the same local mailbox where it'd be fil-
tered and stored in a single hierarchy  of  folders.
I  don't  like  having to go to two locations -- the
regular and IMAP's "New Mail folders -- to read  all
new mail.

I  don't  care about deleting or leaving mail on the
IMAP server, because I only need to access  it  from
my work and I backup all my local mail anyway.

I  have  been able to set up Sylpheed to behave this
way, thanks to its rules being triggered whenever  a
new  message  arrives,  irregardless  of the account
type.

Pegasus exit and entry rules are good if you  follow
the  workflow  they  are  intended for: read all new
mail while it's in the "New Mail" folder, then leave
the  folder  and cause them to be filtered according
to the on-exit rules.

Thanks for the response,
Anton
0
Anton
1/31/2012 8:37:03 AM
Guy:

> > Can  Pegasus be configured to automatically move
> > new mail  from an IMAP "New Mail" folder to  its
> > own "New Mail" folder?
>
> Not as you desire.

OK.   And  now  I got a futher question: do the "New
mail" filtering rules work only if the user  "opens"
the  New mail folder by double-clicking on it?  I am
working in Preview mode, where  a  single  click  is
enough  to show a folder's contents, yet no fitering
rules attached to the folder are executed upon  this
event.

Anton
0
Anton
2/1/2012 4:12:00 PM
Anton Shepelev wrote on 01 feb 2012 in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> Guy:
>
>> > Can  Pegasus be configured to automatically move
>> > new mail  from an IMAP "New Mail" folder to  its
>> > own "New Mail" folder?
>>
>> Not as you desire.
>
> OK.   And  now  I got a futher question:

On usenet, you should not change the subject of a thread.
Start a new one.

> do the "New
> mail" filtering rules work only if the user  "opens"
> the  New mail folder by double-clicking on it?

No.

There are 2 types of new mail filtering rules, on opening and on closing
the New Mail window.

> I am
> working in Preview mode, where  a  single  click  is
> enough  to show a folder's contents,

No. you do not see the New Mail window then.

> yet no fitering
> rules attached to the folder are executed upon  this
> event.

Indeed. There are no filtering rules attached to the preview folder. It
isn't even a folder in it's own right, just a mode.

Use the New Mail window if you want to use those rules,
that's the way it works, methinks.

I am not absolutly sure, as since like many a long time pmail user I do
not use the preview mode.  Preview mode makes Pmail to a kind of
Thunderbird where you never know what happens or just happend.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
<exjxw.hannivoort@interxnl.net>:

> Indeed. There are no filtering rules attached to the preview folder. It
> isn't even a folder in it's own right, just a mode.

Wrong: On open rules are executed in preview mode as well (whenever you
select the new mail folder in the folder tree), only on close rules aren't.

					Michael

--
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> Am 01.02.2012, 19:38 Uhr, schrieb Evertjan.
> <exjxw.hannivoort@interxnl.net>:
>
>> Indeed. There are no filtering rules attached to the preview folder.
>> It isn't even a folder in it's own right, just a mode.
>
> Wrong: On open rules are executed in preview mode as well (whenever
> you  select the new mail folder in the folder tree), only on close
> rules aren't.

See, you left out quoting my explicit uncertancy.
[Still, rules cannot be attached to a mode, methinks,
but that's just semantics]

Are you sure about select [meaning "open"?] ?
What about new mail arriving after when the folder is open,
is't that filtered too?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

> On  usenet, you should not change the subject of a
> thread.  Start a new one.

I thought my other question to be a natural continu-
ation  of  the  thread  because on-exit and on-entry
rules can also be attached to IMAP folders via  gen-
eral rulesets.

> Anton Shepelev:
>
> > I  am  working  in  Preview mode, where a single
> > click is enough to show a folder's contents,
>
> No. you do not see the New Mail window then.

There is no seprate New Mail window in Preview mode,
but the contents of the New Mail folder are shown in
the upper right corner instead, and this functional-
ity replaces the Open operation of the Classic view,
except for the on-close rues, which  it  does't  not
trigger.

> Indeed.  There  are no filtering rules attached to
> the preview folder. It isn't even a folder in it's
> own right, just a mode.

What  is the preview folder?  A hierarchical list of
folders is present in both Preview and Classic views
in  a  window called "the folder view".  The folders
there are the same regardless of which mode is used.

> I am not absolutly sure, as since like many a long
> time  pmail  user  I  do not use the preview mode.
> Preview mode makes Pmail to a kind of  Thunderbird
> where you never know what happens or just happend.

Do  you  mean rules applied silently without the us-
er's first reading new mail, as it is with Pegasus's
on-exit rules?

> Michael in der Wiesche:
>
> > Wrong:  On  open  rules  are executed in preview
> > mode as well (whenever you  select the new  mail
> > folder  in the folder tree), only on close rules
> > aren't.
>
> [...]
> Are you sure  about  select  [meaning  "open"?]  ?
> What about new mail arriving after when the folder
> is open, is't that filtered too?

Michael  is correct here, but using  on-entry  rules
for  this purpose will make me have to click on IMAP
folder thereby having the new mail filtered and then
cycle through individual locations it was moved to.

I  agree  that for serious use only the Classic mode
is suitable.

Anton
0
Anton
2/2/2012 9:55:08 AM
Anton Shepelev wrote on 02 feb 2012 in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

>> Indeed.  There  are no filtering rules attached to
>> the preview folder. It isn't even a folder in it's
>> own right, just a mode.
>
> What  is the preview folder?  A hierarchical list of
> folders is present in both Preview and Classic views
> in  a  window called "the folder view".  The folders
> there are the same regardless of which mode is used.

As I said, there isn't a preview-folder.
A window is not a folder,
but can show the contents of a pmail-folder.
A mode is a way something is done.

The subsection of the folders-window in it's preview mode,
can show the contents of a pmail-folder,
but I seem to have been wrong about what it does filter-wize.

>> I am not absolutly sure, as since like many a long
>> time  pmail  user  I  do not use the preview mode.
>> Preview mode makes Pmail to a kind of  Thunderbird
>> where you never know what happens or just happend.
>
> Do  you  mean

I don't exactly know wht happens in Thunderbird,
it feels strange to a pmailer.

> rules applied silently without the us-
> er's first reading new mail,
> as it is with Pegasus's on-exit rules?

Do you mean the pegasus "on open"-filter-rules?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

> As I said, there isn't a preview-folder.  A window
> is not a folder, but can show the  contents  of  a
> pmail-folder.  A mode is a way something is done.

Got it.

> > > I  am not absolutly sure, as since like many a
> > > long time pmail user I do not use the  preview
> > > mode.   Preview  mode makes Pmail to a kind of
> > > Thunderbird where you never know what  happens
> > > or just happend.
> >
> > Do  you  mean rules applied silently without the
> > user's first reading new mail, as it is with Pe-
> > gasus's on-exit rules?
>
> Do you mean the pegasus "on open"-filter-rules?

I  was  just  asking  what it was you didn't like in
Thunderbird and what you meant by  "you  never  know
what  happens or just happend".  I suggested that in
TB rules worked silently  without  the  user  seeing
them work.

I  have  switched to Classic mode and my new problem
is that pressing CTRL-L in a folder window does  not
close  it  and, therefore, does not trigger on-close
rules, so I have to close the folder window with the
mouse.  Is there a hotkey for that?

Anton
0
Anton
2/2/2012 4:16:43 PM
Am 01.02.2012, 19:51 Uhr, schrieb Evertjan.
<exjxw.hannivoort@interxnl.net>:

> See, you left out quoting my explicit uncertancy.

Next time I'll do a full quote ...

					Michael

--
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
S/MIME Fingerprint: 26 5c a3 60 02 c6 e3 8a 75 70 d5 6a 67 ff d3 8d b0 b5
5e 5b
0
Michael
2/2/2012 4:29:48 PM
On article <20120131123703.b9918bc85f6ceed808ab21f9@g{oogle}mail.com>, Anton
Shepelev wrote:

> Euler German:
>
> > It  seems  to me what you are describing is more a
> > POP3 behavior, not  IMAP.  The  IMAP  protocol  is
> > meant  to keep all your messages AT server. On the
> > other hand, the POP3 protocol is meant to download
> > all  messages from server (moving, as you said) to
> > your local HD. Apples and oranges.
>
> Excactly.  But at work I am already  given  an  IMAP
> account  for inside mail and POP3 account for exter-
> nal mail; and I want mail both the sources to be di-
> rected  to the same local mailbox where it'd be fil-
> tered and stored in a single hierarchy  of  folders.
> I  don't  like  having to go to two locations -- the
> regular and IMAP's "New Mail folders -- to read  all
> new mail.
>
> I  don't  care about deleting or leaving mail on the
> IMAP server, because I only need to access  it  from
> my work and I backup all my local mail anyway.

You'll need to mark it somewhat, say like read.

> I  have  been able to set up Sylpheed to behave this
> way, thanks to its rules being triggered whenever  a
> new  message  arrives,  irregardless  of the account
> type.
>
> Pegasus exit and entry rules are good if you  follow
> the  workflow  they  are  intended for: read all new
> mail while it's in the "New Mail" folder, then leave
> the  folder  and cause them to be filtered according
> to the on-exit rules.

I'd use an "on close rule" attached to the IMAP folder. The rule should look
for any unread messages; if found, mark them as read and them copy (not move)
it to your local New Mail folder as it would do if you were using a POP3
protocol.

You'll have to open your IMAP folder manually.

> Thanks for the response,
> Anton

YW.

--
Kind regards,
Euler German

Please, reply preferably to the list.
Due to spam I'm filtering-out GoogleGroups. Sorry. :(
0
Euler
2/2/2012 7:29:28 PM
Anton Shepelev wrote on 02 feb 2012 in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> I  have  switched to Classic mode

Well done. David Harris calls it the list-mode, btw.

> and my new problem
> is that pressing CTRL-L in a folder window does  not
> close  it  and, therefore, does not trigger on-close
> rules, so I have to close the folder window with the
> mouse.  Is there a hotkey for that?

The standard windows shortcut of closing a sub-window is ctrl-F4,
which wordks fine on folder-windows including the New mail folder-window.
[while alt-F4 standardly closes a programme.]

ctrl-L is for opening the "Folders"-window, it seems,
which has no rules [in the list-mode].

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

> Am 01.02.2012, 19:51 Uhr, schrieb Evertjan.
> <exjxw.hannivoort@interxnl.net>:
>
>> See, you left out quoting my explicit uncertancy.
>
> Next time I'll do a full quote ...

You are exagerating.

Critisizing a statement without quoting the uncertency-clause is another
matter.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

> I'd  use  an  "on close rule" attached to the IMAP
> folder. The rule should look for any  unread  mes-
> sages;  if  found, mark them as read and them copy
> (not move) it to your local New Mail folder as  it
> would do if you were using a POP3 protocol.
>
> You'll have to open your IMAP folder manually.

Yes,  it  is probably the best solution for Pegasus.
Thank you.

Anton
0
Anton
2/3/2012 11:54:56 AM
Evertjan.:

> The  standard  windows  shortcut of closing a sub-
> window is ctrl-F4, which wordks  fine  on  folder-
> windows  including  the  New  mail  folder-window.
> [while alt-F4 standardly closes a programme.]

I didn't know this standard shortcut and it  is  not
mentioned in the manual.

Anton
0
Anton
2/3/2012 12:24:03 PM
Am 03.02.2012, 13:24 Uhr, schrieb :

> I didn't know this standard shortcut and it  is  not
> mentioned in the manual.

It's a Windows standard (for so-called MDI applications with internal
child windows), not only Pegasus Mail, hence not mentioned in the manual.

					Michael

--
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
S/MIME Fingerprint: 26 5c a3 60 02 c6 e3 8a 75 70 d5 6a 67 ff d3 8d b0 b5
5e 5b
0
Michael
2/3/2012 1:29:33 PM
Michael in der Wiesche wrote on 03 feb 2012 in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-
windows:

> Am 03.02.2012, 13:24 Uhr, schrieb :
>
>> I didn't know this standard shortcut and it  is  not
>> mentioned in the manual.
>
> It's a Windows standard (for so-called MDI applications with internal
> child windows), not only Pegasus Mail, hence not mentioned in the manual.

"internal child windows".
Damn, that's the word!

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

> It's  a Windows standard (for so-called MDI appli-
> cations with internal  child  windows),  not  only
> Pegasus Mail, hence not mentioned in the manual.

Quite  fair, but I still think that mentioning these
hotkeys wouldn't hurt because under section

       Getting Started -> Interface Basics ->
       Windows

other standard combinations like CTRL-V  and  CTRL-C
are already described.

Anton
0
Anton

Pegasus Mail Messages being filtered by addresseess Mail Systems
Hello, since a couple of months, and more for some addressees, I have experienced a problem: when I send them a message written with Pegasus Mail it is rejected by the target system... but not when I send it with Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird... that whas happening a few years ago and Pegasus Mail drop during a few months its proudily X-Mailer keyword... would it be possible to do it again???, or is there any "back door option" for instructing Pegasus MAil not to sign its messages with this keyword?? Kind regards, ...

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

I use Pegasus Mail to filter E-mail and block spam for FREE, all spam.pnp updates posted here!
I was using Pegasus Mail in the 90's and recently decided to look at it again. The author's web site is http://www.pmail.com and he has continued its development into something incredibly useful. Most amazing of all is that he keeps it free by only selling the documentation.. Anyway, in addition to its neat automatic spam content filter, you can create and utilize custom filters which will in fact filter everything and do so on the server side, if you tell it to. I figured it all out in one night using the HELP INDEX included with Pegasus Mail. The filter file I...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Pegasus Mail freezes when sending mail
Hello, We have Pegasus Mail version 4.41 set up on a Windows Network. The programs are run in workstation mode so that they are running the executables off the network. We are using a roaming profile. We have one particular computer that intermittently freezes up when sending mail. This workstation is a Windows XP Professional SP2 machine. The program becomes unresponsive (eternal hourglass), and even manually ending the program from task manager won't work. The person using this workstation tells me it seems to happen more when replying to messsages from a user than when ...

Mail junk mail filtering problem
I just started emailing photos from my cell phone to my home email address, but I'm finding that they all end up in the Junk folder. I added the email address to my Address Book. I have the preference set to exempt emails with sender from my Address Book. The Trust junk mail headers set by my ISP is off. I even have a rule that changes the color for all people that are in my Address Book. So these emails arrive color coded as being a known address, the from field actually shows my name from my address book, but still they keep showing up in my Junk email box. I've clicked Not J...

Filtering IMAP Mail.
Hi Is there a simple utility that will check my email accounts and filter the IMAP mail based on some simple rules. IE: USER (A) if header = ***** then move to USER (A)/IMAP_FOLDER1 if subject = **** then move to USER (A)/IMAP_FOLDER2 Is this possible ?? My mail server is running on Windows.] Thanks On Thu, 20 Sep 2007, jerryyang_la1@yahoo.com wrote: > Is there a simple utility that will check my email accounts and filter > the IMAP mail based on some simple rules. Any good IMAP client can do as you ask. Check the documentation for your IMAP client. Note that I said a "g...

IMAP mail filtering
After converting pretty much all my accounts from POP to IMAP I started thinking about mail filtering. Using Eudora's filtering it seems that there's a lot of unnecessary net traffic going on. When it checks for mail, initially everything is downloaded to the local inbox, then filtered locally into custom mail folders and finally sent back to the server into the appropriate mailbox there, including any attachments. Is that how it works? If so, it would be much more efficient to filter on the server side. I've tried that for posts from a mailing list, setting...

Check Mail returns no mail when in fact there is mail
On my laptop which connects to an SBC DSL internet connection via a wireless network in our home, both Eudora 6.2 and 7.0 (I downloaded 7.0 in hopes it would fix this problem) checks for mail, retrieves none and tells me I have no new mail. In fact, there is mail which I can retrieve through a browser on the laptop or on our desktop computer. I have all account settings set identical to the Eudora program on our desktop computer (which connects directly to the DSL without utilizing the wireless connection). I can send mail from the laptop just fine using Eudora. I get no error...

My mail get filtered by AOL mail server
Hello, I'm using my mail server for many month now without any problem. But When I try to send a mail to an aol user, my mail get filtered out. I have sendmail with a static IP address and a domain name. Does anyone can tell me what I have to do do get my mail through. Thanks Franck On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:32:59 +0200 Franck wrote: > I'm using my mail server for many month now without any problem. But > When I try to send a mail to an aol user, my mail get filtered out. I > have sendmail with a static IP address and a domain name. > Does anyone can tell me what I h...

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Tiger Mail junk mail filtering performance
With Tiger, I just moved from Entrourage to Mail. One thing I am disappointed in is junk mail filtering. Entourage seemed to catch about 95% of the junk mail I received, while Mail seems to catch no more than 50% of it. This seems remarkably poor performance. Are other's seeing similar results? Suggestions? Geoff In article <1115833758.883338.138490@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>, geoff.fitch@gmail.com wrote: > With Tiger, I just moved from Entrourage to Mail. One thing I am > disappointed in is junk mail filtering. Entourage seemed to catch about > 95% of the junk mail...

Web resources about - Filtering IMAP mail - comp.pegasus-mail.windows

Ad filtering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ad filtering or ad blocking is removing or altering advertising content in a webpage . Advertising can exist in a variety of forms including ...

Facebook Adds Filtering To Messages, Tests Paid Service
Facebook released an update to its messaging system on Thursday , adding a filtering system and introducing a paid service for U.S. users who ...

Facebook reveals mobile-inspired News Feed with more options for filtering content and giving users ways ...
... Recent and Top Stories into a single feed with Top Stories indicated as such with a blue icon in the corner. However, it de-emphasized filtering ...

Filtering mentions - Twitter Blogs
As part of our product development process, we regularly reach out to our partners to better understand what would improve the Twitter experience. ...

ibisMail Free - Filtering Mail on the App Store on iTunes
Get ibisMail Free - Filtering Mail on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Google AdSense Category Filtering - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Details at searchengineland.com/google-adsense-testing-category-filt...

Two-year trial of motorcycle lane filtering launched on Canberra's roads
Motorcycle riders will be allowed to move through stationary or slow moving traffic on Canberra's roads as part of a two-year trial set to get ...

Motorbikes 'filtering' between traffic a safer way for Canberra's roads
Road users in the ACT may soon have to become used to motorcyclists legally lane filtering as a potential trial looms.&#160;

Yandex launches public DNS service with malicious URL filtering - Internet-based applications and services ...
Russian Web search firm Yandex launched a public DNS (Domain Name System) resolution service on Thursday that leverages the company's existing ...

The Filter Is Dead: Australian Government Dumps Controversial Filtering Project [Updated]
Almost three years ago now, Senator Stephen Conroy stepped up to the plate to deliver a bold new vision. A vision of a filtered, “safer” i... ...