Lost message folder structure!

I had a normal shutdown of my computer but now when I rebooted and
brought Pegasus Mail (4.61 under Win7 64-bit) up, I seem to have my
stored emails, but the folders are gone. Yikes! What did I likely do
wrong and what can I do to remedy this? Thanks.

        Dilip
0
Dilip

On 11 Apr 2011, Dilip <barman@jhu.edu> wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-
mail.ms-windows:

> I had a normal shutdown of my computer but now when I rebooted and
> brought Pegasus Mail (4.61 under Win7 64-bit) up, I seem to have my
> stored emails, but the folders are gone. Yikes! What did I likely do
> wrong and what can I do to remedy this? Thanks.

The folder files are probably still there.

Close down Pegasus. Find the file HIERARCH.PM, located in your Home
Mailbox Location. Rename it, as a backup in case you need it again.
When you restart Pegasus, a new one will be recreated - your folders
should now be visible, although the subfolders tree structure will have
to be recreated.
0
Nil
4/12/2011 3:50:01 AM
Thanks, Nil, for the response. I should have said that folders were
there but subfolders were not - and that's still the case after
renaming HIERARCH.PM and restarting Pegasus. Why did the tree
structure go away and how can I recreate it? I do have backups but if
I restore to a backup, I'll lose all the mail that came in since that
backup. Thanks.

         Dilip

On Apr 11, 11:50=A0pm, Nil <redno...@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:
> On 11 Apr 2011, Dilip <bar...@jhu.edu> wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-
> mail.ms-windows:
>
> > I had a normal shutdown of my computer but now when I rebooted and
> > brought Pegasus Mail (4.61 under Win7 64-bit) up, I seem to have my
> > stored emails, but the folders are gone. Yikes! What did I likely do
> > wrong and what can I do to remedy this? Thanks.
>
> The folder files are probably still there.
>
> Close down Pegasus. Find the file HIERARCH.PM, located in your Home
> Mailbox Location. Rename it, as a backup in case you need it again.
> When you restart Pegasus, a new one will be recreated - your folders
> should now be visible, although the subfolders tree structure will have
> to be recreated.

0
Dilip
4/12/2011 4:54:58 AM
On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:54:58 -0700 (PDT), Dilip <barman@jhu.edu> wrote:

>Thanks, Nil, for the response. I should have said that folders were
>there but subfolders were not - and that's still the case after
>renaming HIERARCH.PM and restarting Pegasus. Why did the tree
>structure go away and how can I recreate it? I do have backups but if
>I restore to a backup, I'll lose all the mail that came in since that
>backup. Thanks.

HIERARCH.PM sometimes gets corrupted. It's wise to back it up occasionally,
especially after changing your folder structure.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:  http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm

        Dilip

On Apr 12, 2:56=A0am, Steve Hayes <hayes...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:54:58 -0700 (PDT), Dilip <bar...@jhu.edu> wrote:
> >Thanks, Nil, for the response. I should have said that folders were
> >there but subfolders were not - and that's still the case after
> >renaming HIERARCH.PM and restarting Pegasus. Why did the tree
> >structure go away and how can I recreate it? I do have backups but if
> >I restore to a backup, I'll lose all the mail that came in since that
> >backup. Thanks.
>
> HIERARCH.PM sometimes gets corrupted. It's wise to back it up occasionall=
y,
> especially after changing your folder structure.
>
> --
> Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
> Web: =A0http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
> Blog:http://methodius.blogspot.com
> E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop=
 uk

0
Dilip
4/12/2011 7:29:58 AM
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:29:58 -0700 (PDT), Dilip <barman@jhu.edu> wrote:

>Thanks. If I restore a version of this file that is a few days or a
>week or so old, will I only lose any new subfolders I created since
>this backup?

Yes.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:  http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
Steve
4/12/2011 11:16:47 AM
Thanks. Nothing else, such as new messages or address book entries,
would be lost then? I can certainly restore an older HIERARCH file -
should I restore other state files, too?

   Dilip

On Apr 12, 7:16=A0am, Steve Hayes <hayes...@telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 00:29:58 -0700 (PDT), Dilip <bar...@jhu.edu> wrote:
> >Thanks. If I restore a version of this file that is a few days or a
> >week or so old, will I only lose any new subfolders I created since
> >this backup?
>
> Yes.
>
> --
> Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
> Web: =A0http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
> Blog:http://methodius.blogspot.com
> E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop=
 uk

0
Dilip
4/12/2011 2:41:52 PM
On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 07:41:52 -0700 (PDT), Dilip <barman@jhu.edu> wrote:

>Thanks. Nothing else, such as new messages or address book entries,
>would be lost then? I can certainly restore an older HIERARCH file -
>should I restore other state files, too?

I suggest you back up your \pmail\mail\yourname directory

Then restore the last good HIERARCH.PM file and see what happens,

You might have to recreate some folders and move the messages there agaqin,
but you probably wouldn't need to do it all from scratch.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Web:  http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/stevesig.htm
Blog: http://methodius.blogspot.com
Steve
4/12/2011 4:46:43 PM
On 12 Apr 2011, Dilip <barman@jhu.edu> wrote in
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> Thanks, Nil, for the response. I should have said that folders
> were there but subfolders were not - and that's still the case
> after renaming HIERARCH.PM and restarting Pegasus. Why did the
> tree structure go away and how can I recreate it? I do have
> backups but if I restore to a backup, I'll lose all the mail that
> came in since that backup. Thanks.

HEIRARCH.PM must have become corrupt. It can happens occasionally
(although I don't think it's ever happened to me in the many years I've
been using Pegasus. It's good to have a backup.

You can drag 'n drop the folder names around in the folder list to
recreate the folder/subfolder structure.
0
Nil
4/12/2011 5:21:48 PM
Nil wrote on 12 apr 2011 in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> On 12 Apr 2011, Dilip <barman@jhu.edu> wrote in
> comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:
>
>> Thanks, Nil, for the response. I should have said that folders
>> were there but subfolders were not - and that's still the case
>> after renaming HIERARCH.PM and restarting Pegasus. Why did the
>> tree structure go away and how can I recreate it? I do have
>> backups but if I restore to a backup, I'll lose all the mail that
>> came in since that backup. Thanks.
>
> HEIRARCH.PM must have become corrupt. It can happens occasionally
> (although I don't think it's ever happened to me in the many years I've
> been using Pegasus. It's good to have a backup.
>
> You can drag 'n drop the folder names around in the folder list to
> recreate the folder/subfolder structure.

Storing a printscreen jpg of the folders window will help you recreate the
subfolder structure in the case of a new HIERARCH.PM.

That way you do not introduce any possible structural failure
as jet hidden in a HIERARCH.PM backup. This is a good precausion
as long as we do not know what causes this failure.

In the long years of pm overhere,
I think I had 3 HIERARCH.PM failures,
all years ago.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Message lost after moving to New Mail folder
I have found that if I move messages from some folder to the New Mail folder, that message will be deleted upon exiting Pegasus (4.21a, WinXP). I searched this NG for mention of this problem. One message suggested an indexing problem, but searching the CNM files did not find the missing messages. This error can be replicated -- by me, anyway. Suggestions welcome. Paul Havemann wrote: > I have found that if I move messages from some folder to the New Mail > folder, that message will be deleted upon exiting Pegasus (4.21a, > WinXP). > > I searched this NG for m...

Mail being lost when moving from folder to folder?
I have two accounts used in Eudora, one a pop account, another a IMAP. Both are on the same server and on my LAN. Essentially, the IMAP account is where I move SPAM mail not caught by my mail server to have it learn as spam. I was running the Beta version (can't recall the version number, and I just installed the non-beta, so I can no longer check), but the issue which happened at least twice was I would highlight a number of messages in my POP account inbox, then drag one (essentially draggign them all) to my IMAP inbox. Not all the messages would be moved, so I figured it didn...

How do I import/transfer old mail folders to Pegasus V4 in Windows XP??
All my correspondence is in my mail folders in an old version of Pegasus. I got a new pc running Windows XP and installed the old hard drive containing all my files as a second drive, but I can't find out how to transfer or import my mail folders into Pegasus V4. Suggestions appreciated. I have recently gone thru the same exercise. Though my older version of Pegasus was not markedly older. I would think twice - or more - about doing this starting with a '3' version of Pegasus for example! In my case, I have Pegasus in C:\Prgram Files & the actual mail data on m...

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Locking up Windows User when accessing outlook exchange server with java mail class / Windows Nutzer gespeert nach dem Versuch auf OutlookExchange Folder zuzugreifen mit der java.mail class
{English} Hello, we have an exchange server here and I am pulling out the messages from the outlook folder to my database. That works fine. But there are some strange things happening. After a couple of times of testing the connection and opening the Store and the Folder, getting the messages, closing the Folder and closing the Store, my windows / outlook user gets locked. And I don't know why!!! Is it possible that i shouldn't have outlook started in the background? Beacause with the java.mail class I open the Folder in READ_WRITE mode that this interfears with outlook? Thx for ...

Pegasus Mail Messages being filtered by addresseess Mail Systems
Hello, since a couple of months, and more for some addressees, I have experienced a problem: when I send them a message written with Pegasus Mail it is rejected by the target system... but not when I send it with Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird... that whas happening a few years ago and Pegasus Mail drop during a few months its proudily X-Mailer keyword... would it be possible to do it again???, or is there any "back door option" for instructing Pegasus MAil not to sign its messages with this keyword?? Kind regards, ...

Using Pegasus Mail from multiple computers; archiving mail folders
I currently use Pegasus Mail for Windows (XP Professional) from my laptop. I put the mail in a root directory c:\Mail. I am thinking of adding a desktop computer and using my existing laptop much less frequently; I would copy over c:\Mail to a drive on the desktop that could be shared, say d:\Mail, and have a few questions: * I know I'd have to edit pmail.ini to point to d:\Mail . * When I am local and able to access d:\Mail, there should be no problem as long as I have only one client open at a time, I believe. But say that I am remote, perhaps on a trip, and want to use Pegas...

Moving Inbox Mail Message to a folder called Urgent Messages
I am using Eudora 6. When I have a message in my INBOX, I want to move it to a folder called Urgent Messages. I click on the Message and I move it to the folder icon called URGENT MESSAGES just like I would do in Outlook. However, the message does NOT move. It stays in the inbox. Any suggestions? Thank you. On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 19:40:45 -0500, "fkissam" <fkissam@bellsouth.net> wrote: >I am using Eudora 6. > >When I have a message in my INBOX, I want to move it to a folder called >Urgent Messages. I click on the Message and I move it to the...

Mail - 10.11
All messages (inbox, sent) were lost at first blush. Invoking Time Machine causes Mail to crash and TM to exit. A "rebuild" fixed it (inbox and sent for that account). Alan Browne <alan.browne@freelunchvideotron.ca> wrote: > All messages (inbox, sent) were lost at first blush. > > Invoking Time Machine causes Mail to crash and TM to exit. > > A "rebuild" fixed it (inbox and sent for that account). This was due to the previous PGP plugin crash? -- E-mail sent to this address may be devoured by my ravenous SPAM filter. I often igno...

LOST MAIL MESSAGES
Please help me locate mail messages My Broser is: Internet Explorer ver:6.0.2800.1106IC My Mail Program is: Outlook Express ver: 6.00.2800.1106 [ftp] I use an independent ISP [not Microsoft etc.] Problem: when I opened outlook express the Microsft page came up with a question: Is Outlook Express your default mail server? When I answered "yes" the mail page came up as a new page; NOT showing my old mail nmessages etc. I reset my information so my mail would link to my ISP server mail service. [I do not know how this info was lost!] This got my mail service working correctly except - I...

Lost mail folders
Hi: I have Pegasus Mail 4.12a running on several workstations. This evening I had to reinstall PM on one of those workstations. Now, the new mail folder is populated with the new messages; however, none of the folders this user created are showing up. Any ideas would be much appreciated! ...

Lost Mail Messages
While working with some techie with AppleCare trying to fix a mail problem, my wife was told to delete her mail inbox. All messages were lost (or disappeared). Duh! Does anyone know which file they may be stored in or where they may be, and how to access it? In article <kzIrc.26703$KE6.25093@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>, Allan <aabier@earthlink.net> wrote: > While working with some techie with AppleCare trying to fix a mail > problem, my wife was told to delete her mail inbox. All messages were > lost (or disappeared). Duh! Does anyone know which file they ma...

New mail folder / Main mail folder annoyances
I use Pegasus mail 4.21c. Since Pegasus has a seperate "New Mail" folder, I end up having to search some mail in the "New Mail" folder and some mail in the "Main" folder. Not all of the "New Mail" mail can make it to the Main folder. Is there any way of JUST having a Main folder? I just want the newer mail on top of the older one... not two folders. Also, the New Mail folder takes a long time to load, while the Main folder (with much more mail) loads very quickly... So I want to avoid the New Mail folder altogether. Is this corrected in 4....

Web resources about - Lost message folder structure! - comp.pegasus-mail.windows

Tree structure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A tree structure is a way of representing the hierarchical nature of a structure in a graphical form. It is named a "tree structure" because ...

Mosquito Hill fire: Structures lost as scrub burns on Fleurieu Peninsula - AdelaideNow Search Search
HOMES were threatened on Thursday as a bushfire raged through scrub on the Fleurieu Peninsula.

WA fires: Perth Hills fire downgraded, at least two structures destroyed
... eastern suburbs has been downgraded to an advice alert level after threatening lives and homes on Monday and destroying at least two structures. ...

IPG's MullenLowe Introduces Network Structure and Rebranding
Following the merger of Interpublic Group of Cos.shops Mullen and Lowe to create MullenLowe, the bigger shop is now reorganizing as an integrated ...

COWI Strengthens Structure in North America
Three well-known specialized bridge, tunnel and marine engineering consultants have combined to drive the growth of COWI in North America. Effective ...

Agile Frameworks: Structure, Structure, Structure
As I read through Tom Grant’s article on Agile Frameworks, one word kept jumping out at me: structure! People like frameworks because they provide ...

Hitman's release structure changed, now fully episodic
"What exactly is the new Hitman going to be?" That's a question that has been on players' minds for a long time now. Looking in from the outside, ...

Barcelona's Foresight May Usurp Real Madrid as La Liga Moves Towards EPL Structure
BARCELONA, SPAIN - JANUARY 09: Neymar Santos Jr of FC Barcelona controls the ball during the La Liga match between FC Barcelona and Granada CF ...

Response to Paris Attacks Points to Weaknesses in French Police Structure
Accounts from survivors, officials and experts reveal that the terrorists operated for substantial periods with little hindrance, and that France’s ...

Response to Paris Attacks Points to Weaknesses in French Police Structure
PARIS — Since the devastating Nov. 13 attacks in Paris , the French police have offered only a fragmentary outline of their response and of how ...