merging Pegasus mail folders from two PCs?

I had a glitch on my desktop a while back ("windows protection
error"), and instead of fixing it, abandoned my desktop for the laptop
for three months. Now I've got the desktop working again, and need to
merge three months' worth of mail from the laptop with the several
years' worth on the desktop.

Is there a way to do it?

I'm running version 4.02 on the desktop and version 4.01 on the
laptop.

Achim

axethetax
0
lohsea

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 04:10:47 GMT, lohsea@3web.nettax (Achim Nolcken
Lohse) wrote:

Don't have much of an answer, but some experience to share.

I would also like to combine or be able to archive mail by moving
between folders on other drives. I have followed the suggestion on the
pegasus web site FAQ page but with little success in fact it was a bit
of a disaster.

You can easily connect to another mail box by using the 'add mail box
to list' option in the folders menu. But I have found that this is
only useful if you want temporary access to another mail box. I found
that after adding a mailbox and moving email across to it and then
removing the mail box, my hierarchy file got completely screwed up. to
the point that I had to edit the file to get back to a usable system.

My question is, is there a better way of working with folders and
archiving messages.

<snip>

>I had a glitch on my desktop a while back ("windows protection
>error"), and instead of fixing it, abandoned my desktop for the laptop
>for three months. Now I've got the desktop working again, and need to
>merge three months' worth of mail from the laptop with the several
>years' worth on the desktop.
>
>Is there a way to do it?
>
>I'm running version 4.02 on the desktop and version 4.01 on the
>laptop.

<snip>
0
nospan
9/19/2003 9:55:11 AM
Lohse) wrote:

>I had a glitch on my desktop a while back ("windows protection
>error"), and instead of fixing it, abandoned my desktop for the laptop
>for three months. Now I've got the desktop working again, and need to
>merge three months' worth of mail from the laptop with the several
>years' worth on the desktop.
>
>Is there a way to do it?
>
>I'm running version 4.02 on the desktop and version 4.01 on the
>laptop.
>

>Achim
>

>axethetax

I recently went through the whole rigmarole of recovering old backups
of my Pegasus e-mail.  I'd saved my mail folder on an external drive,
sometimes by itself, sometimes as a general backup of the entire
drive.

Turns out Pegasus doesn't like mail folders with identical names so
adding an old mailbox to current copy of Pegasus didn't work.  I also
had a lot of PM$ files in the all of my backed up mailboxes.  The FAQ
told me they were basically garbage.  And I found ancient INI files
that I'd been dragging around from version to version because I didn't
know any better.

My solution was to zip up my current mail folder including its
hierarch.pm file.  Then I deleted all the files in the current mailbox
folder and replaced them with the files from the an archived mailbox
folder.  Next, I deleted hierarch.pm and started Pegasus.

Pegasus rebuilt the hierarch.pm for the mailbox.  Now I could see all
my old folders and their contents just as they were when I'd archived
them.

From the folders menu I added a new mailbox.  You have to created the
folder on the disk yourself.  Pegasus won't do it for you.  I gave
mine a name like PA2002AUG06 which stood for Pegasus Archive and the
date the old folder was backed up.

This new mailbox was added to the folder list with its own new mail
folder.  I selected the new mailbox and started adding folders to it
that matched the folders in the mailbox above it.  To give the each a
unique name I started each folder's name with PA2002AUG06_ s i.e.
PA2002AUG06_Copies to Self, PA2002AUG06_Deleted Messages,
PA2002AUG06_Clients, etc.

Once I had uniquely named duplicates of all my folders created I
simply moved the mail from the old folders to the new ones.  Even mail
in the New Mail folder can be moved to the new mailbox.  You could
copy instead, but it's not necessary because the current mailbox is
just temporary.  Don't bother with trays.  I don't think they'll
transfer because they're maintained in the hierarch.pm file which will
be discarded later.

After all the e-mail was moved I right clicked on the new mailbox and
disconnected it from the current mailbox.  Looking in the PA2002AUG06
folder on the disk you'll see nothing but PMI and PMM files.  No
hierarch.pm nor any INI files.

Next I exited Pegasus, deleted the contents of the current mailbox
folder and unzipped the  copy of the current mailbox I'd saved in the
beginning.  I restart Pegasus and it comes up with all of my folders,
trays and mail just like they were when I started.  I add a new
mailbox, PA2002AUG06 and all of my archived mail from last August is
there.  If I want I can move mail from there to the current mailbox's
folders.

Sometimes when doing this with several backups at once Pegasus gets
confused.  Adding too many mailboxes will blow it away.  Sometimes
disconnecting a mailbox messes up the folder names of the current
mailbox.   This is transient.  Restarting Pegasus usually fixes it.
Some times reattaching a mailbox doesn't seem to work.  It comes up
with only its new mail folder.  Don't panic, just restart Pegasus.
Worst case, blow away hierarch.pm and restart Pegasus.  You'll lose
any trays when Pegasus rebuilds it, but all the folders and mail will
be there.

Tom Haas.

0
Thomas

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

Using Pegasus Mail from multiple computers; archiving mail folders
I currently use Pegasus Mail for Windows (XP Professional) from my laptop. I put the mail in a root directory c:\Mail. I am thinking of adding a desktop computer and using my existing laptop much less frequently; I would copy over c:\Mail to a drive on the desktop that could be shared, say d:\Mail, and have a few questions: * I know I'd have to edit pmail.ini to point to d:\Mail . * When I am local and able to access d:\Mail, there should be no problem as long as I have only one client open at a time, I believe. But say that I am remote, perhaps on a trip, and want to use Pegas...

PGP Extension for Pegasus Mail 6.2.7.0 [required for Pegasus Mail 4.5] released
Version 6.2.7.0 / 6-2009 (13.06.2009): ATTENTION: This update is required for the extension to work properly = with Pegasus Mail v4.5! The most important change is a new send option ("all in one message") = which may be selected via the entries beginning with "***" in the encryption dialog. Some minor adjustments to PGP 9.7 - 9.10, a new option for displaying the local time on Pegasus Mail's status bar and a way for synchronizing the system time with a timeserver are included as well. Additionally the following bugs have been fixed amongst others: - E...

How do I import/transfer old mail folders to Pegasus V4 in Windows XP??
All my correspondence is in my mail folders in an old version of Pegasus. I got a new pc running Windows XP and installed the old hard drive containing all my files as a second drive, but I can't find out how to transfer or import my mail folders into Pegasus V4. Suggestions appreciated. I have recently gone thru the same exercise. Though my older version of Pegasus was not markedly older. I would think twice - or more - about doing this starting with a '3' version of Pegasus for example! In my case, I have Pegasus in C:\Prgram Files & the actual mail data on m...

Pegasus Mail freezes when sending mail
Hello, We have Pegasus Mail version 4.41 set up on a Windows Network. The programs are run in workstation mode so that they are running the executables off the network. We are using a roaming profile. We have one particular computer that intermittently freezes up when sending mail. This workstation is a Windows XP Professional SP2 machine. The program becomes unresponsive (eternal hourglass), and even manually ending the program from task manager won't work. The person using this workstation tells me it seems to happen more when replying to messsages from a user than when ...

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Archive a Pegasus mail folder
I have a few mail folders which I wish to keep the mail therein somewhere else as it's clogging up the system but need to keep the mails. - one folder has 821 in it - somw tih large attachements.... Is there a way of archiving certain folders somewhere else (copy the actual pmail files), so I can "free" pegasus of these but copy them back in if I need to? Using PM4.12a advTHANKSance 3ff727b7.1422250@169.100.100.5, Tym <no_spam@ictis.net>: > I have a few mail folders which I wish to keep the mail therein > somewhere else as it's clogging up t...

Pegasus Mail Messages being filtered by addresseess Mail Systems
Hello, since a couple of months, and more for some addressees, I have experienced a problem: when I send them a message written with Pegasus Mail it is rejected by the target system... but not when I send it with Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird... that whas happening a few years ago and Pegasus Mail drop during a few months its proudily X-Mailer keyword... would it be possible to do it again???, or is there any "back door option" for instructing Pegasus MAil not to sign its messages with this keyword?? Kind regards, ...

Configuring windows withiin Pegasus Mail
On Pegasus Mail 4.12a (version of Jun 19 2003) on Windows 2000 Pro, I used to get 3 windows: - list of messages in New Mail folder - list of folders - window onto whatever message was selected in first window Now I only get first two windows. If I unselect save desktop in Tools>Options>Basic Settings then I only get the first window (although ctrl-L gets me the second) and if I select it I get the first two (provided they were showing on my last session). How do I get all three and have them show up when I enter Pegasus? On 22 Dec 2003 08:30:49 -0800, ggrothendieck@v...

Pegasus Mail and Windows administrator privileges
Hi Group I have used Pegasus Mail under Win98 since several years and I'm happy with it. Now I have a new WinXP machine and want to reinstall. I have the following problem: I tried Pegasus v421c. It seems it only works if the user has the Windows administrator privileges (XP Home Edition SP2). Is this the normal behavior ? I am quite surprised with this. Thanks a lot. I am running WinPmail 4.21 with restricted user privileges on Windows 2000 and as a main user with Windows XP Pro without having any problems and changing any settings. I think, it would be most important,...

Importing existing mail from Outlook2002 or Eudora 6 to Pegasus-mail?
Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to have access to my mail archives? Best Regards Jan Erik Frithjofsen On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 08:35:11 GMT, Jan Erik Frithjofsen <jefrithjofsen@rocketmail.com> wrote: > Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to keep my old mail-client to > have access to my mail archives? > > Best Regards > Jan Erik Frithjofsen > If you are using Outlook2002 with MsExchange and therefore Windows Messaging (aka MAPI) then I have a utility (PM2MSM32) you may be interested in. To migrate Eudora messages,...

Set up of Pegasus Mail for Windows-Intranet
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I ama bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sys...

Locking up Windows User when accessing outlook exchange server with java mail class / Windows Nutzer gespeert nach dem Versuch auf OutlookExchange Folder zuzugreifen mit der java.mail class
{English} Hello, we have an exchange server here and I am pulling out the messages from the outlook folder to my database. That works fine. But there are some strange things happening. After a couple of times of testing the connection and opening the Store and the Folder, getting the messages, closing the Folder and closing the Store, my windows / outlook user gets locked. And I don't know why!!! Is it possible that i shouldn't have outlook started in the background? Beacause with the java.mail class I open the Folder in READ_WRITE mode that this interfears with outlook? Thx for ...

Web resources about - merging Pegasus mail folders from two PCs? - comp.pegasus-mail.windows

Help:Merging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A merger is a non-automated process by which the content of two pages is united on one page. Reasons to merge a page include: unnecessary duplication ...

Facebook merging Precise Interests & Broad Categories in Power Editor
Some Power Editor users are being notified Facebook’s latest ad simplification change, merging Precise Interests and Broad Categories . Andrea ...

Merging Spiral Galaxies - simulating visual appearance - YouTube
This video shows a computer simulation of the appearance of two merging spiral galaxies as they would appear through a telescope, including absorption ...

Merging cultural institutions would be disastrous, say former directors
Merging the back-office functions of the major national cultural institutions would be disastrous and doomed to fail, say two former institution ...

You gotta keep ‘em separated: Google not merging Chrome OS and Android
Google has announced that it intends to keep its Chrome OS and Android platforms separate, despite the two platforms now being managed by the ...

Merging of Tuscan provinces reopens old wounds
Merging of Tuscan provinces reopens old wounds

Nintendo merging handheld and console divisions on February 16
New ¥30bn Kyoto facility will allow R&D collaboration and tech sharing

Merging Maritime provinces pushed by senators
Three Conservative senators are asking Canadians to seriously mull over the idea of merging the three Maritime provinces.

Alberta Drivers Are Bad At Merging, Stopping And Driving In The Proper Lane
Does Alberta have the worst drivers in Canada? It's hard to say. While this study says "Yes, Alberta drivers are the rudest in the nation," ...

CMA magazine and CAmagazine merging in January
Feature 1 CMA magazine and CAmagazine have wrapped their runs. To reflect the merger of associated trade groups, a new chartered accountant ...