Message count limits

I've been using Pegasus since 1996-- don't ask me what version it was
back then, but it was the 16-bit.  But fortunately each upgrade has
seamlessly upgraded all the emails in all the folders that I saved (to
their credit).  Believe it or not, I have saved a good portion of my
emails in that entire time. I have many folders, some with hundreds, and
even a couple with 1000+, of messages. So my question is, does Pegasus
have any limits as far as the number of emails that can be kept in a
folder, or overall total?  Do I need to worry that I may someday hit
some limit?  I am currently at v4.52, but can upgrade if need be.
0
Brianm

On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:10:26 -0500, Brianm
<idontthinkso@spammersdie.com> wrote:

>I have many folders, some with hundreds, and
>even a couple with 1000+, of messages. So my question is, does Pegasus
>have any limits as far as the number of emails that can be kept in a
>folder, or overall total?  Do I need to worry that I may someday hit
>some limit?  I am currently at v4.52, but can upgrade if need be.

I have one folder with over 8000 messages, so you don't need to worry
until (at least) you reach that number...

--
To reply by e-mail please replace the underscore with a dot.
0
On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:10:26 -0500, Brianm
<idontthinkso@spammersdie.com> wrote:

>I have many folders, some with hundreds, and
>even a couple with 1000+, of messages. So my question is, does Pegasus
>have any limits as far as the number of emails that can be kept in a
>folder, or overall total?  Do I need to worry that I may someday hit
>some limit?  I am currently at v4.52, but can upgrade if need be.

I have one folder with over 8000 messages, so you don't need to worry
until (at least) you reach that size...

--
To reply by email please remove .no.spam
0
Rui S� wrote on 18 apr 2013 in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:10:26 -0500, Brianm
> <idontthinkso@spammersdie.com> wrote:
>
>>I have many folders, some with hundreds, and
>>even a couple with 1000+, of messages. So my question is, does Pegasus
>>have any limits as far as the number of emails that can be kept in a
>>folder, or overall total?  Do I need to worry that I may someday hit
>>some limit?  I am currently at v4.52, but can upgrade if need be.
>
> I have one folder with over 8000 messages, so you don't need to worry
> until (at least) you reach that size...

That would depend on the "real" size.

if those 8000 messages each have 10 Mb of jpgs,
things will become nasty indeed.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
<exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> wrote:

>Rui S� wrote on 18 apr 2013 in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:
>
>> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 18:10:26 -0500, Brianm
>> <idontthinkso@spammersdie.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I have many folders, some with hundreds, and
>>>even a couple with 1000+, of messages. So my question is, does Pegasus
>>>have any limits as far as the number of emails that can be kept in a
>>>folder, or overall total?  Do I need to worry that I may someday hit
>>>some limit?  I am currently at v4.52, but can upgrade if need be.
>>
>> I have one folder with over 8000 messages, so you don't need to worry
>> until (at least) you reach that size...
>
>That would depend on the "real" size.
>
>if those 8000 messages each have 10 Mb of jpgs,
>things will become nasty indeed.

I remove most attachments (either delete or save and keep them
elsewhere) before archiving mails, so they're largely text-only.

This particular folder has about 160 MB and keeps 10+ years of mails
from my bank, so the average message size is ~20 KB.

And it's still quite usable! I feel it also depends a lot on your
hardware: RAM size and, to a lesser extent, if you have an SSD or the
HDD's speed/fragmentation.

--
To reply by email please remove .no.spam from the supplied address
0
On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 01:41:12 +0100, Rui S� <rui_sa@mail.ru.no.spam> wrote:

>On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 09:40:50 +0200, "Evertjan."
><exxjxw.hannivoort@inter.nl.net> wrote:
>
>>Rui S� wrote on 18 apr 2013 in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

>>> I have one folder with over 8000 messages, so you don't need to worry
>>> until (at least) you reach that size...
>>
>>That would depend on the "real" size.
>>
>>if those 8000 messages each have 10 Mb of jpgs,
>>things will become nasty indeed.
>
>I remove most attachments (either delete or save and keep them
>elsewhere) before archiving mails, so they're largely text-only.
>
>This particular folder has about 160 MB and keeps 10+ years of mails
>from my bank, so the average message size is ~20 KB.
>
>And it's still quite usable! I feel it also depends a lot on your
>hardware: RAM size and, to a lesser extent, if you have an SSD or the
>HDD's speed/fragmentation.

One thing I wanted to do was use AWK to remove unneeded headers from saved
mail, so I would save it to a database. I would like to keep just the To,
from, Date and Subject lines, and possibly key words.

But some mail nowadays is unreadable when saved.

--
Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa
Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com
Am 16.04.2013, 01:10 Uhr, schrieb Brianm <idontthinkso@spammersdie.com>:

> I've been using Pegasus since 1996-- don't ask me what version it was
> back then, but it was the 16-bit.  But fortunately each upgrade has
> seamlessly upgraded all the emails in all the folders that I saved (to
> their credit).  Believe it or not, I have saved a good portion of my
> emails in that entire time. I have many folders, some with hundreds, and
> even a couple with 1000+, of messages. So my question is, does Pegasus
> have any limits as far as the number of emails that can be kept in a
> folder, or overall total?  Do I need to worry that I may someday hit
> some limit?  I am currently at v4.52, but can upgrade if need be.

There is certainly a size limit for the (folder) files storing emails:
Pegasus Mail cannot deal with folder files (extension PMM) larger than 2
GB.

					Michael

--
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Pegasus Mail Messages being filtered by addresseess Mail Systems
Hello, since a couple of months, and more for some addressees, I have experienced a problem: when I send them a message written with Pegasus Mail it is rejected by the target system... but not when I send it with Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird... that whas happening a few years ago and Pegasus Mail drop during a few months its proudily X-Mailer keyword... would it be possible to do it again???, or is there any "back door option" for instructing Pegasus MAil not to sign its messages with this keyword?? Kind regards, ...

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

Sizing the new mail message window
I recently reinstalled v4.41 on a new hard drive, mostly successfully. However, I have yet to discover how to adjust the size of the new mail message window. Is there an obvious place in Tools - Options - etc. that I'm overlooking? The default window is too small for me and I would like to make it larger. Any suggestions? TIA Jesse Jesse Blount vient de nous annoncer : > I recently reinstalled v4.41 on a new hard drive, mostly successfully. > However, I have yet to discover how to adjust the size of the new mail > message window. Is there an obviou...

Mail.app: Unread message count
I access my mail account using three mail clients - Mail.app under Panther, Thunderbird under XP and (rarely) IMP via the web. I've noticed that when I've accessed my account (Courier IMAP server) using Thunderbird, when I next access via Mail.app it often says there are unread messages. These messages don't appear in any maibox I can find, but the only way to persuade Mail they don't exist is to mark my inbox has having been read. I do have a large number of folders, but the only one that might automatically get populated is my Spam folder, and I don't think Mail includes...

Configuring windows withiin Pegasus Mail
On Pegasus Mail 4.12a (version of Jun 19 2003) on Windows 2000 Pro, I used to get 3 windows: - list of messages in New Mail folder - list of folders - window onto whatever message was selected in first window Now I only get first two windows. If I unselect save desktop in Tools>Options>Basic Settings then I only get the first window (although ctrl-L gets me the second) and if I select it I get the first two (provided they were showing on my last session). How do I get all three and have them show up when I enter Pegasus? On 22 Dec 2003 08:30:49 -0800, ggrothendieck@v...

Set up of Pegasus Mail for Windows-Intranet
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I ama bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sys...

Saving Pegasus Mail Messages and Configurations
Hello! Anyone know of a relatively easy way to save Pegasus mail, and all accumulated mail and addresses as well as all the existing configuration settings. I'm asking because I want to wipe a PC and do a fresh install of the OS, but I have to be able to restore Pegasus Mail to exactly the way it was before the pc was wiped... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Chris -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-...

Pegasus Mail and Windows administrator privileges
Hi Group I have used Pegasus Mail under Win98 since several years and I'm happy with it. Now I have a new WinXP machine and want to reinstall. I have the following problem: I tried Pegasus v421c. It seems it only works if the user has the Windows administrator privileges (XP Home Edition SP2). Is this the normal behavior ? I am quite surprised with this. Thanks a lot. I am running WinPmail 4.21 with restricted user privileges on Windows 2000 and as a main user with Windows XP Pro without having any problems and changing any settings. I think, it would be most important,...

groupwise access of pegasus mail messages
is there a way to have a groupwise client access the CNM files generated by pegasus mail netware-mode messages...? In comp.mail.pegasus-mail.misc on Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:11:02 -0500, "Jeff McNabney" <jm@ksk.ca> wrote: >is there a way to have a groupwise client access the CNM files generated by >pegasus mail netware-mode messages...? Nope, You can create a filter rule in WinPMail to forward all mail to a groupwise account though. -- Han van den Bogaerde - jaabogae@caiw.nl Member of the Pegasus Mail Support Group My own Pegasus Mail related web...

Count Messages in Message Queue
Hi, I have developed an application in C on IBM AIX 5.2. Its using multiple Message Queues to share data between different processes. I am using following functions to send/receive messages into/from message queues: int msgget(key_t, int); ssize_t msgrcv(int, void *, size_t, long int, int); int msgsnd(int, const void *, size_t, int); Now I want to calculate number of messages in each message queue at a specific time. So which function should I use? There is a function named "mq_getattr" to get queue attributes. Can this help out? Thanks in anticipation. Regards, A...

Setting up Pegasus Mail for Windows for intranet use only
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I am a bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sy...

Limit Outbound Mail Count by Client --- Possible??
This morning one of my users exceeded the size limit on their .pst file in Outlook 2002 and Outlook could not delete any emails including those in the out box. The result was that every minute Outlook sent the undeleted out box email to my Linux server running sendmail and that in turn sent the email to the relay server I use for forwarding. The first I knew about was when after about 500 emails the relay server started rejecting emails for exceeding the daily quota that the domain is allowed to forward. My question is, is there a way of configuring sendmail so that after "X&...

Web resources about - Message count limits - comp.pegasus-mail.windows

Message - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A message is a discrete unit of communication intended by the source for consumption by some recipient or group of recipients. A message may ...

Malcolm Turnbull has two very different messages on the state of our US alliance
In the republic debate, Australia is not truly debating its independence from Britain. It's not an argument we're having over the influence of ...

New WA road safety message
The WA State Government is using a hashtag as a way of reaching out to a younger demographic, along with a message to stay safe on the road during ...

Apple releases second OS X 10.11.4 beta with Live Photos in Messages, secure Notes, more
The second OS X 10.11.4 beta preview is now available via the Mac App Store for testing. The first version of this El Capitan beta added new ...

Ghostery to Test Ad-Blocker Appeal Messages
Like Luke Skywalker, Forbes has given new hope to publishers staring down the dark side of their particular universe: ad blocking. It did it ...

5 Awesome Direct Messages
Let’s be honest: Direct Messages (DMs) on Twitter are not usually part of a brand’s marketing strategy. At least, not in a successful way. As ...

C.J. Anderson reveals Tom Brady's uplifting message after AFC title game
Tom Brady apparently had nothing but nice things to say to C.J. Anderson, even after the Patriots lost to the Broncos.

Michael Caine’s message to ‘non-white actors’: ‘Be patient, of course it will come’
In the year 2000, Michael Caine won his second Oscar for Best Supporting Actor in Cider House Rules , a role which… if we’re being fair, doesn’t ...

Leilani Münter & Team Light Up State Capital With Powerful Solar Messages
Last week, Leilani Münter took a fast-paced trip through the heart of California to raise awareness of the debate currently underway at the California ...

This chart is sending a scary message
The yield curve is near its flattest level since the financial crisis — a recessionary warning to some.