More crashes with IERenderer?

I haven't made a real study of this, but Pegasus has been crashing on
me a lot lately, seemingly when dealing with HTML messages. Sometimes
when I download an HTML message, Pegasus will hang or crash when trying
to sort it into a folder. Sometimes if I'm paging through messages in a
folder too quickly and I go past one or more HTML messages, Pegasus
hangs or crashes. Sometimes just displaying an HTML message will cause
the same symptoms. The "crash" usually involves Pegasus just shutting
down suddenly, and a DOS window comes up briefly saying something like
"program too big to fit into memory." This all seems to happen more
frequently since I installed the most recent version of IERenderer.
2.4.2.1. This has been happening on two different computers. I've
disabled IERenderer and gone back to BearHTML for now and I haven't had
any crashes since.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar, or is it just me?
0
Nil

Nil wrote:

> I installed the most recent version of IERenderer.
> 2.4.2.1.

Maybe try the latest version.

$ sigcheck -a -h -i -q -r IERenderer.dll
E:\Program Files\PMail\Programs\IERenderer\IERenderer.dll:
        Verified:       Untrusted Root
        Signing date:   20:51 2011-04-03
        Publisher:      Micha's Midnight Manufacture
        Product:        Pegasus Mail HTML Renderer
        Version:        2.4.2.5
        File version:   2.4.2.5
        Strong Name:    Unsigned
        Original Name:  IERenderer.dll
        Internal Name:  IERenderer
        Copyright:      � Michael in der Wiesche 2009 - 2011
        Comments:       n/a
        MD5:    f1ea9c8c6320bb8a1821fe8598d6586c
        SHA1:   11815653c8525e5f0434ed92216405433df709cf
        SHA256: 244f6dd5b39f8f87e160eb9298804675e04dd5848041cbae601c4327ceef7c12

$
0
Guy
4/5/2011 8:56:41 PM
Guy wrote:

> Nil wrote:
>
>> I installed the most recent version of IERenderer.
>> 2.4.2.1.
>>

> Maybe try the latest version.

$ curl -Os http://idw-doc.homepage.t-online.de/PMUtils/IERenderer.zip
* About to connect() to idw-doc.homepage.t-online.de port 80 (#0)
*   Trying 80.150.6.138... connected
* Connected to idw-doc.homepage.t-online.de (80.150.6.138) port 80 (#0)
> GET /PMUtils/IERenderer.zip HTTP/1.1
> Host: idw-doc.homepage.t-online.de
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
< Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:01:51 GMT
< Server: Apache/2.0.64 (Debian) JETServ/2.2.25 CM4all-JailCGI/1.4.3 mod_apreq2-20051231/2.6.0
<
{ [data not shown]
* Connection #0 to host idw-doc.homepage.t-online.de left intact
* Closing connection #0

$ unzip IERenderer.zip -diered
Archive:  IERenderer.zip
  inflating: iered/History.htm
  inflating: iered/IERenderer.exe

$ sigcheck -a -h -i -q -r iered\IERenderer.exe
T:\Test\iered\iered\IERenderer.exe:
        Verified:       Untrusted Root
        Signing date:   20:40 2011-04-05
        Publisher:      Micha's Midnight Manufacture
        Product:        Pegasus Mail HTML Renderer
        Version:        2.4.2.6
        File version:   2.0.0.3 - 02/2011
        Strong Name:    Unsigned
        Original Name:  n/a
        Internal Name:  n/a
        Copyright:      � Michael in der Wiesche 2009 - 2011

        Comments:       This installation was built with Inno Setup.
        MD5:    450b8e1fd45747b7f30e4ca4248d884c
        SHA1:   53f8c273c0343a4f1066cd4ba73a2e845545645b
        SHA256: 01cfabb8dc6a0ddedb59202c85ebf6d5e05a87df734c2443c11f9356ec5a70fa

$
0
Guy
4/5/2011 9:03:37 PM
On 05 Apr 2011, Guy <Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote in
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> Nil wrote:
>
>> I installed the most recent version of IERenderer.
>> 2.4.2.1.
>
> Maybe try the latest version.

I'd like to, but I can't find it.

Using the "Download current version" link on the About box, I get "No
new version available."

I can find no download link on the main Pegasus Mail site. I would
expect to find it in the Pegasus Add-Ons area, along with BearHTML, but
no.

Googling "ierenderer pegasus" gets me no apparent download site.

Can you point me in a better direction?
0
Nil
4/5/2011 9:37:02 PM
On 05 Apr 2011, Guy <Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote in
comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> http://idw-doc.homepage.t-online.de/PMUtils/IERenderer.zip

OK, I got it from that link. We'll see if that helps.

I'm still annoyed that the update link doesn't work and that it's
impossible to find on the official PMail site.
0
Nil
4/5/2011 10:06:23 PM
At 06 Apr 2011, 00:06, Nil wrote:

> OK, I got it from that link. We'll see if that helps.
>
> I'm still annoyed that the update link doesn't work and that
> it's impossible to find on the official PMail site.

I also got a lot of crashes when working with HTML messages since
I upgraded the renderer to 2.4.2.1/2.4.2.5. Pegasus simply died
without any error (but no DOS-window). The 2.4.2.0 version worked
for me.

Then I disabled IERenderer and updated Bearhtml to 4.6.5, but then
I got the same crash when I tried to copy something from the
preview-window.

In the meantime I've removed all bear* and *renderer* files from
the Pegasus folder and anything seems to work as expected. Seems
that TER does the job very well.

BTW, the latest IERenderer can also be found here:

http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/community_add-
ons_for_pegasus_mail/default.aspx

It's in the "Community Downloads" section instead of "Add-Ons"
(where Bearhtml can be found).
0
RSo
4/6/2011 7:59:25 AM
On 06 Apr 2011, RSo <rso@x-privat.org> wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-
mail.ms-windows:

> I also got a lot of crashes when working with HTML messages since
> I upgraded the renderer to 2.4.2.1/2.4.2.5. Pegasus simply died
> without any error (but no DOS-window). The 2.4.2.0 version worked
> for me.

I updated to 2.4.2.6 yesterday... and Pegasus just crashed again.

> Then I disabled IERenderer and updated Bearhtml to 4.6.5, but then
> I got the same crash when I tried to copy something from the
> preview-window.

I just went back to the most recent BearHTML. I don't recall it ever
crashing, but time may tell.

> BTW, the latest IERenderer can also be found here:
>
> http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/community_add-
> ons_for_pegasus_mail/default.aspx
>
> It's in the "Community Downloads" section instead of "Add-Ons"
> (where Bearhtml can be found).

Thanks. I'll bookmark mark that, in case I start feeling lucky. In the
meantime, I'll avoid IERenderer.

0
Nil
4/6/2011 3:55:39 PM
Am 06.04.2011, 09:59 Uhr, schrieb RSo <rso@x-privat.org>:

> I also got a lot of crashes when working with HTML messages since
> I upgraded the renderer to 2.4.2.1/2.4.2.5. Pegasus simply died
> without any error (but no DOS-window). The 2.4.2.0 version worked
> for me.
>
> Then I disabled IERenderer and updated Bearhtml to 4.6.5, but then
> I got the same crash when I tried to copy something from the
> preview-window.

I really wonder why you seem to think that complaining "to the unknown"
will help in any way? Both Martin Irland's (BearHtml) and my (IEREnderer)
addresses should be easily available to everyone being interested in
getting things fixed - and this could especially be helpful in case you
can duplicate any of these crashes under certain circumstances.
Additionally it would be very helpful if crash dumps could be provided
using the MiniDump extension
(<http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/community_add-ons_for_pegasus_mail/entry12763.aspx>)
- plus we might be able to negotiate some more tests for further
investigation.

> In the meantime I've removed all bear* and *renderer* files from
> the Pegasus folder and anything seems to work as expected. Seems
> that TER does the job very well.

Just as a reminder of why BearHtml was introduced in the first place, and
adding IERenderer was actually done for similar reasons (from the "What's
new" section of version 4.31 in Pegasus Mail's online help):

"Pegasus Mail now has a completely new HTML renderer that does a
dramatically better job of displaying HTML data, and which is vastly more
robust than the renderer used in previous versions of the program."

After all rendering HTML is an extremely complex task, and may I remind of
how often *all* the popular browsers out on the web are fixed and updated
(no matter who provides them)?

> BTW, the latest IERenderer can also be found here:
>
> http://community.pmail.com/files/folders/community_add-
> ons_for_pegasus_mail/default.aspx

Not to mention that this URL is posted every once in a while to this
newsgroup when announcing more important updates ...

And for a final note:

1. The update link should work more reliably in recent versions of
IERenderer.

2. I'm already working on the crashes currently seen, but it could still
be helpful if anyone can provide duplicatable scenarios.

					Michael

--
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> I really wonder why you seem to think that complaining "to the
> unknown"  will help in any way?

And I wonder why you think berating those who are having the problem is
at all helpful?

> "Pegasus Mail now has a completely new HTML renderer that does a
> dramatically better job of displaying HTML data, and which is
> vastly more  robust than the renderer used in previous versions of
> the program."

Well, apparently it's NOT "vastly more robust", since it crashes
frequently.

> 1. The update link should work more reliably in recent versions of
>  IERenderer.

Good. The update worked for me up until a couple of versions ago, but
not lately.

> 2. I'm already working on the crashes currently seen, but it could
> still  be helpful if anyone can provide duplicatable scenarios.

I haven't been able to make it happen on demand. The behavior is
sporadic. And it may have caused me to lose some mail this morning -
Pegasus showed that it was downloading about 10 messages, then it
crashed while trying to move some of them into folders. When I
restarted Pegasus, I could find no sign of those 10 messages.
0
Nil
4/6/2011 5:33:56 PM
Am 06.04.2011, 19:33 Uhr, schrieb Nil <rednoise@removethiscomcast.net>:

> I haven't been able to make it happen on demand. The behavior is
> sporadic. And it may have caused me to lose some mail this morning -
> Pegasus showed that it was downloading about 10 messages, then it
> crashed while trying to move some of them into folders. When I
> restarted Pegasus, I could find no sign of those 10 messages.

Where did you try to move them from (new mail or "regular" folder)?
Reindexing the latter might help if applicable.

					Michael

--
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
S/MIME Fingerprint: 26 5c a3 60 02 c6 e3 8a 75 70 d5 6a 67 ff d3 8d b0 b5
5e 5b
0
Michael
4/6/2011 6:35:02 PM
On 06 Apr 2011, "Michael in der Wiesche" <---idw.doc---@t-online.de>
wrote in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> Where did you try to move them from (new mail or "regular"
> folder)?  Reindexing the latter might help if applicable.

It's my assumtion that the crash occurred while new messages were being
automatically routed to various folders by my filters. Pegasus crashed
while this was in process, so I couldn't tell what messages were the
problems or what folders they were going to.
0
Nil
4/6/2011 7:16:36 PM
At 06 Apr 2011, 19:13, Michael in der Wiesche wrote:

> I really wonder why you seem to think that complaining "to the
> unknown" will help in any way?

Sorry, can't remember where I asked for help.

My system works well without any external renderers (no crashes
when copying, no "Clipboard cannot be opened" messages, ...).

I've also always removed Bearhtml from older Pegasus versions and
never had any problems with HTML.

>> In the meantime I've removed all bear* and *renderer* files
>> from the Pegasus folder and anything seems to work as expected.
>> Seems that TER does the job very well.
>
> Just as a reminder of why BearHtml was introduced in the first
> place, and  adding IERenderer was actually done for similar
> reasons (from the "What's  new" section of version 4.31 in
> Pegasus Mail's online help):
>
> "Pegasus Mail now has a completely new HTML renderer that does a
> dramatically better job of displaying HTML data, and which is
> vastly more robust than the renderer used in previous versions
> of the program."

Maybe that IERenderer is "more robust" than Bearhtml. I prefer
"really robust".

> After all rendering HTML is an extremely complex task, and may I
> remind of  how often *all* the popular browsers out on the web
> are fixed and updated (no matter who provides them)?

It's possible that my incoming messages are not too much
formatted, so that I do not see any reason for external renderers
at the moment(as long as they cause problems).
0
RSo
4/7/2011 6:51:32 AM
Am 07.04.2011, 08:51 Uhr, schrieb RSo <rso@x-privat.org>:

> At 06 Apr 2011, 19:13, Michael in der Wiesche wrote:

>> I really wonder why you seem to think that complaining "to the
>> unknown" will help in any way?
>
> Sorry, can't remember where I asked for help.

I just took your post as kind of a "summary" of what I wanted to reply to,
it wasn't meant to be a personal reply.

>> After all rendering HTML is an extremely complex task, and may I
>> remind of  how often *all* the popular browsers out on the web
>> are fixed and updated (no matter who provides them)?
>
> It's possible that my incoming messages are not too much
> formatted, so that I do not see any reason for external renderers
> at the moment(as long as they cause problems).

I don't think there'll ever by a version of Pegasus Mail which will not
encounter at least some issues with HTML messages (I agree that it
shouldn't crash, though), not only because of the aforementioned
complexity but also because of the variety of email applications  out on
the web with various degrees of standards compliance. And, after all, even
standards are changing in due course ...

					Michael

--
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
S/MIME Fingerprint: 26 5c a3 60 02 c6 e3 8a 75 70 d5 6a 67 ff d3 8d b0 b5
5e 5b
0
Michael

Pegasus Mail Crash
I had a worrying crash today with my Pegasus v4.12a Had to do with a spam email that contained a GIF image. Crashed occurred in TER32.dll. Pegasus completely failed. Anyone else? davep@NOSPAMukonline.co.uk (Dave Philips) wrote: > I had a worrying crash today with my Pegasus v4.12a > > Had to do with a spam email that contained a GIF image. Crashed > occurred in TER32.dll. Pegasus completely failed. > > Anyone else? Not unusual. Some badly formatted HTML makes Pegasus crash. See the last paragraph of this article: <http://kbase.pmail.gen....

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

Some mails involves pegasus crash
Hello Some mails with gifs involves Pegasus crash (I don't know the english version of M$ communicate). This, after IMAP problems, seems to be the second BUG in the new Pmail veersion (4.21c at w2k PL). Non of these problems has been reprted for pmail 4.12. Mike Michal <brunowozUSUNTO@o2.pl> wrote: > Some mails with gifs involves Pegasus crash (I don't know the > english version of M$ communicate). This, after IMAP problems, > seems to be the second BUG in the new Pmail veersion (4.21c at > w2k PL). Non of these problems has been reprted for pmail 4.1...

Pegasus Mail crashes each startup
I have Pegasus Mail ver. 4.21c on a Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows XP Home Edition. I have used Pegasus Mail for the better part of 10 years. Each time I start Pegasus, I *immediately* get the message, "Pegasus Mail for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close." After searching this newsgroup, I have moved ALL of my new mail (filetype *.CNM) out of the mail directory, and have also renamed HIERARCH.PM so that Pegasus cannot recognize it. I *still* get the error message each time on start-up, and cannot run Pegasus at all. What do I try next? This happe...

Pegasus Mail Crashes
This may not be the answer to all of the questions here regarding Pegasus Mail and a sudden shutdown in Windows XP (Pro) but here's what I found after two frustrating days. The symptoms were that Pegasus would open normally, load all folders and restore the desktop to the normal condition. Without warning, Pegasus would shut down and when restarted, it acted as if it was shut down abnormally (which I suppose it was). This happened within first few minutes of Pegasus being run and always immediately after checking mail. The solution was to run a program that repairs the WINSOCK...

Pegasus mail crash on exit
Almost every time I close Pegasus, I get an error. 'WINPM-32 caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 018f:bff76843.' I didn't discover a pattern in the occurence of the error, but if I perform following actions rahter quickly, I'm sure I get it: mail check (pop3) message preview program exit. Has someone a solution ? I use pmail 4.21b on W98SE (and had the same problem in 4.21a). Thanks in advance, Peter. > Almost every time I close Pegasus, I get an error. > > 'WINPM-32 caused an invalid page fault in > module KER...

send mail step crashes on windows
I develop on Mac.... I have Windows on Paralles for testing, but I'm not very knowledgable about windows. One of my clients are all mac users except for one windows user. They have a mix of FM 8.5 and 9. We have a script with a send mail script step. It works fine for all the mac users, but about 50% of the time makes the windows user crash. Does anybody have any suggestions to remedy this problem? thanks, Greg On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:37:36 -0700, Greg Dember <greg@artocratic.com> wrote: >I develop on Mac.... I have Windows on Paralles for testing, but I'm not >v...

Set up of Pegasus Mail for Windows-Intranet
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I ama bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sys...

Configuring windows withiin Pegasus Mail
On Pegasus Mail 4.12a (version of Jun 19 2003) on Windows 2000 Pro, I used to get 3 windows: - list of messages in New Mail folder - list of folders - window onto whatever message was selected in first window Now I only get first two windows. If I unselect save desktop in Tools>Options>Basic Settings then I only get the first window (although ctrl-L gets me the second) and if I select it I get the first two (provided they were showing on my last session). How do I get all three and have them show up when I enter Pegasus? On 22 Dec 2003 08:30:49 -0800, ggrothendieck@v...

Installing Pegasus Mail after a system crash
The hard disc with my WinXP system running Pegasus Mail 4.2.1b crashed a few days ago. I have a new hard disc and am rebuilding my system. I copied over a backup copy of my \Mail file (used to be d:\Mail and is now c:\Mail) and my Pegasus Mail directory (used to be d:\binary\Pegasus Mail and is now the same but on c:). Then I installed the new 4.2.1c code over the Pegasus Mail directory. Perhaps because the mail location has switched from D: to C:, when I launch Pegasus, I get a quick banner and then it quits with no further information. What do I have to do to get Pegasus running a...

Pegasus crashs once unread mail is touced
Hi, since a couple of days PMAIL crashes nearly reproducable once an unread mail (marked as unread) is touched (e.g. attempt to open or to copy to another folder). I really don't have any idea how to fix this problem. Upgrading to the actual Pegasus did not help. Thanks, MH On 26 Jul 2006, "hahn@ira.uka.de" <hahn@ira.uka.de> wrote in news:1153956369.237834.200980@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com: > since a couple of days PMAIL crashes nearly reproducable once an > unread mail (marked as unread) is touched (e.g. attempt to open or > to copy to an...

Pegasus Mail and Windows administrator privileges
Hi Group I have used Pegasus Mail under Win98 since several years and I'm happy with it. Now I have a new WinXP machine and want to reinstall. I have the following problem: I tried Pegasus v421c. It seems it only works if the user has the Windows administrator privileges (XP Home Edition SP2). Is this the normal behavior ? I am quite surprised with this. Thanks a lot. I am running WinPmail 4.21 with restricted user privileges on Windows 2000 and as a main user with Windows XP Pro without having any problems and changing any settings. I think, it would be most important,...

Pegasus Mail crashes when used on a VPN
Hi, I have an office setup that works just fine with a mail server, and user mailboxes are setup as folders on the server so that each user can logon anywhere on the LAN and see their email with pegasus (4.21c). Have just setup a VPN into this office which works fine - can open folders etc. I am logged in remotely as one of the users, and can open pegasus mail OK and see all the existing mails. I can also move mail around OK. When I try to retrieve mail from the server (on the LAN), or send (direct to the ISPs smtp server), pegasus just crashes. It obviously doesn't do t...

WAR PLAN PACIFIC ... Windows 7 ... Crash - Crash
Hmmm. New laptop with Win7. Can't get it running. Just blows up with "War=20 Plan Pacific Has Stopped Working." Tried seemingly everything. Compatibility, XP, VIsta, etc. No joy. Just blows up every time. --=20 Giftzwerg *** "Copenhagen climate summit: 1,200 limos, 140 private planes and caviar wedges. If they were really worried about global warming they=92d be doing this by Skype. But they live in a culture of entitlement. Energy conservation and carbon limits, like taxes, are for the little people." - G...

WAR PLAN PACIFIC ... Windows 7 ... Crash - Crash
Hmmm. New laptop with Win7. Can't get it running. Just blows up with "War=20 Plan Pacific Has Stopped Working." Tried seemingly everything. Compatibility, XP, VIsta, etc. No joy. Just blows up every time. --=20 Giftzwerg *** "Copenhagen climate summit: 1,200 limos, 140 private planes and caviar wedges. If they were really worried about global warming they=92d be doing this by Skype. But they live in a culture of entitlement. Energy conservation and carbon limits, like taxes, are for the little people." - G...

Web resources about - More crashes with IERenderer? - comp.pegasus-mail.windows