Problem deleting mails

When I have deleted e-mails I get this message:

Data error encountered in folder

Folder name: Whatever

File name:  FOLxxxxx.PMM

Pegasus Mail has encountered a consistency problem in the folder whose
details are shown above. The error encountered was as follows:

** Probable invalid offset in index record.

If the error message starts with the characters '**', then it may be
possible to recover from the error by reindexing the folder.
Right-click the folder in the folder list and choose the 'Reindex
folder' command to attempt this operation.

Reindexing a folder may cause deleted messages to be recovered and may
result in some flag indications (such as whether or not a reply has
been sent for a message) being lost. We recommend you backup the
folder file (see above) before attempting this operation.

-----------

When I reindex the folders all deleted messages are recovered,
deleting them again produces the same problem again etc. etc. This is
a very annoying bug and a reason for me to dump Pegasus, as it's
impossible to delete mails. I use v. 4.31 and don't recall
encountering this problem in previous versions. Is there a remedy?

Yrrah
0
Yrrah

Yrrah <Yrrah.YrrahYrrah.Yrrah@hotmail.com> wrote in

> When I reindex the folders all deleted messages are recovered,
> deleting them again produces the same problem again etc. etc. This is
> a very annoying bug and a reason for me to dump Pegasus, as it's
> impossible to delete mails. I use v. 4.31 and don't recall
> encountering this problem in previous versions. Is there a remedy?

Most likely the folder that Pegasus Mail is complaining about is the
folder that you're using to contain your deleted messages, not the
folder from which you're deleting the messages.  You may double-check
this by right-clicking on your "deleted messages" folder in the folder
tree list and choosing "Folder Properties" from the popup menu -- the
folder's file name should be the same as what is shown in the error
message.

Once you've identified the folder that is really the problem, you have
two options:

1.  if you want to continue saving the messages in this folder, then
you may create a new folder, move all of the good messages from the bad
folder into this new folder, delete the bad folder, and rename the new
folder with the same name as the old, bad, deleted folder.  You may
also need to reset any filtering rules that point to this folder.

2.  if the folder that is bad actually is your deleted messages folder,
you can just delete it -- the folder will be re-created the next time
you try and delete a message.

Cheers
GRB

0
Greg
4/3/2006 11:24:46 PM
On 03 Apr 2006, Yrrah <Yrrah.YrrahYrrah.Yrrah@hotmail.com> wrote in

> When I reindex the folders all deleted messages are recovered,
> deleting them again produces the same problem again etc. etc. This
> is a very annoying bug and a reason for me to dump Pegasus, as
> it's impossible to delete mails. I use v. 4.31 and don't recall
> encountering this problem in previous versions. Is there a remedy?

Create a new folder. Move the messages you want to keep into it. Delete
the old folder. Rename to new folder to the old name, if you want. Make
sure any filters that reference that folder still work.
0
Nil
4/4/2006 12:51:23 AM
On Mon, 03 Apr 2006 19:51:23 -0500, Nil
<rednoise+news@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

> On 03 Apr 2006, Yrrah <Yrrah.YrrahYrrah.Yrrah@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
> > When I reindex the folders all deleted messages are recovered,
> > deleting them again produces the same problem again etc. etc. This
> > is a very annoying bug and a reason for me to dump Pegasus, as
> > it's impossible to delete mails. I use v. 4.31 and don't recall
> > encountering this problem in previous versions. Is there a remedy?
>
> Create a new folder. Move the messages you want to keep into it. Delete
> the old folder. Rename to new folder to the old name, if you want. Make
> sure any filters that reference that folder still work.

Why wouyld one want to re-index a folder unless ther was some problem
associted with it?  It certainly is not a normal operation.

But, if you want to re-index one, first compress it.  This will rewrite the
file, removong any deleted messages.  Then they won't come back when
re-indexing.  You may still convert some/all messages to "unread" status,
however.
0
Jay
4/4/2006 3:08:25 AM
The only reliable way to delete the deleted messages folder is to
access the file in the mail directory and delete it from there. In my
case it is far and away the biggest file, currently 18 mb so easily
detected.
Unless regularly done, this means there is a significant overhead as
most spam and deleted messages are more than a few lines of text.
I suppose you could set options for deleted messages not to persist
and folder not to persist between sessions but I occasionally hit the
wrong key...........
Incidentally somobody said ctrl+del will delele  permanently but I
find that does not work with "block" deletions!
0
yajnyaj
4/4/2006 7:03:45 AM
yajnyaj@2eyesnet.net.au wrote in news:44321781.1400283300
@news.m.iinet.net:

> The only reliable way to delete the deleted messages folder is to
> access the file in the mail directory and delete it from there.

What happens when you select the deleted messages folder in the PMail
folder tree list and click on the "Delete" button on the folder list
window's tool bar (the fourth button from the left)?  This has always
worked for me to delete a Pegasus Mail folder.

> Incidentally somobody said ctrl+del will delele  permanently but I
> find that does not work with "block" deletions!

Works for me, both with contiguous and with non-contiguous selections of
messages, in either Preview mode or in classic list mode.  Could you
provide more detailed information and a description of what you're doing?
Perhaps that will help us figure out why it isn't working for you.

Cheers
GRB

0
Greg
4/4/2006 11:30:06 PM
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 18:30:06 -0500, "Greg R. Broderick"
<terto@oynpxubyvb.qlaqaf.bet> wrote:

>yajnyaj@2eyesnet.net.au wrote in news:44321781.1400283300
>@news.m.iinet.net:
>
>> The only reliable way to delete the deleted messages folder is to
>> access the file in the mail directory and delete it from there.
>
>What happens when you select the deleted messages folder in the PMail
>folder tree list and click on the "Delete" button on the folder list
>window's tool bar (the fourth button from the left)?  This has always
>worked for me to delete a Pegasus Mail folder.
The deleted messages folder diappears and won't come back when I
delete more messages.

>> Incidentally somobody said ctrl+del will delele  permanently but I
>> find that does not work with "block" deletions!
>
>Works for me, both with contiguous and with non-contiguous selections of
>messages, in either Preview mode or in classic list mode.  Could you
>provide more detailed information and a description of what you're doing?
>Perhaps that will help us figure out why it isn't working for you.
>
>Cheers
>GRB

0
yajnyaj
4/8/2006 5:34:01 AM
On 08 Apr 2006, yajnyaj@2eyesnet.net.au wrote in

> The deleted messages folder diappears and won't come back when I
> delete more messages.

Several people, including me, have suggested that you adjust the
"Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes" and "Deleted
messages' folder persists between sessions" settings, but I've never
seen you acknowledge doing so. Did you?

0
Nil
4/8/2006 12:26:41 PM
I certainly did.
I made sure that both options were ticked. They still are.
I tried creating a new deleted messages folder but it doesn't work.
So I will just have to be very sure that I press the correct keys in
future. 'Course I could move messages for deletion to the new folder,
and review the contents on a regular basis before deleting them!!
Jim C
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 07:26:41 -0500, Nil
<rednoise+news@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

>On 08 Apr 2006, yajnyaj@2eyesnet.net.au wrote in
>
>> The deleted messages folder diappears and won't come back when I
>> delete more messages.
>
>Several people, including me, have suggested that you adjust the
>"Preserve deleted messages until Pegasus Mail closes" and "Deleted
>messages' folder persists between sessions" settings, but I've never
>seen you acknowledge doing so. Did you?

0
yajnyaj
4/9/2006 1:26:36 PM
On 09 Apr 2006, yajnyaj@2eyesnet.net.au wrote in

> I certainly did.
> I made sure that both options were ticked. They still are.
> I tried creating a new deleted messages folder but it doesn't work.
> So I will just have to be very sure that I press the correct keys in
> future. 'Course I could move messages for deletion to the new folder,
> and review the contents on a regular basis before deleting them!!

Have you tried this?

When Pegasus is closed, navigate to your new home mail directory and
rename HIERARCH.PM to HIERARCH.OLD or some such. When you restart
Pegasus, you will see all your folders in flat form, IOW, you will lose
your tray structure and you'll have to recreate it.

I've heard of other problems with mail folders that didn't work right
after the upgrade, and this fixed them.
0
Nil
4/9/2006 6:09:04 PM
Did that - I now have 2 deleted messages folders - the "deleted" one
has returned! With 101 messages, some going back to February. I shall
delete one and see what happens.
Jin C

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 13:09:04 -0500, Nil
<rednoise+news@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

>On 09 Apr 2006, yajnyaj@2eyesnet.net.au wrote in
>
>> I certainly did.
>> I made sure that both options were ticked. They still are.
>> I tried creating a new deleted messages folder but it doesn't work.
>> So I will just have to be very sure that I press the correct keys in
>> future. 'Course I could move messages for deletion to the new folder,
>> and review the contents on a regular basis before deleting them!!
>
>Have you tried this?
>
>When Pegasus is closed, navigate to your new home mail directory and
>rename HIERARCH.PM to HIERARCH.OLD or some such. When you restart
>Pegasus, you will see all your folders in flat form, IOW, you will lose
>your tray structure and you'll have to recreate it.
>
>I've heard of other problems with mail folders that didn't work right
>after the upgrade, and this fixed them.

0
yajnyaj

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM ...

problem to delete a mail in Mail
Hello i'm using Mail 1.2.5 i have a problem with a mail... when i select it, Mail is searching for something and it never stops... so i have to shut down Mail :( how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... thanks FabienM "FabienM" <FabienM@badadress.fr> writes: > how can i configure Mail so that it won't display the content of the mail ? > that way i think i will be able to delete the mail... double-click on the bar which seperates the list of messages from the body ...

Mail.app deletes mail when deleting account
In Mail.app, in Preferences, in the Accounts panel, there is a list of accounts. I had a POP account there I no longer in use. I used the Remove button to delete the old account. But I didn't mean for it to delete all mail that had been recieved earlier into that email address. Yet that seems to be what happened. At least I can't find the mail anywhere in any of my mailboxes or in my_home/Library/Mail. There were a number of messages organized into various folders. Now they are gone. These mail messages were not sitting on a server, they were on my Mac. Is Mail supposed to do ...

Odd problem MAIL and DECW$MAIL (sequential MAIL.MAI)
Alpha VMS 8.3 (ok, in fairness, this is after a disk problem, but bear with me !) My DECW$MAIL profile has 5 drawers. 3 of them point to other user's MAIL.MAI files. This worked fine for some time. Now, one of those user's mail files behaves badly. DOuble clicking on that drawer yields NOTHING. Right Click on the folder followed by "open in new window" crashes DEC$WINDOWS. From character cell mail, I can set file USRDIR:[user]MAIL.MAI and then perform DIR, read, and even delete with success. HOWEVER, DELETE takes a long time to complete but does complete. I can send...

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

Mail 2.1, two PBG4s, synchronizing mail and mail problems
Here's the sitch: PBG4 w/broken screen, running an external (duh) Samsung monitor. This is my shop PB, it's currently masquerading as an immobile desktop. PBG4 all fixy-fix. Mostly keep at home, but also on the road. LaCie 320GB external Firewire drive. backup at shop (used Migration Assistant to copy the shop PB's system (10.4.7), apps, and docs to the FireWire drive) Two mail accounts -- one on each PB -- both of which accounts dump into Mail 2.1, on both PBs. With me so far? *I'm* already lost... Problem one: Is there a way -- besides signing up with .Mac -- that I ca...

Problem with mails from mailing lists
The details: A DMZ server with a real domain name and ip. Distro is Debian unstable, Sendmail version is 8.13.4 and kernel is 2.6.10. Server is also MX for the domain. All mail for the domain goes to 1 user and fetchmail POP3's the mail to the internal Exchange 2003 server. The config files: /etc/mail/sendmail.mc define(`_USE_ETC_MAIL_')dnl include(`/usr/share/sendmail/cf/m4/cf.m4')dnl VERSIONID(`$Id: sendmail.mc, v 8.12.11-5 2004-04-22 15:43:34 cowboy Exp $') OSTYPE(`debian')dnl DOMAIN(`debian-mta')dnl LOCAL_CONFIG FEATURE(`access_db',`hash -T<TMPF> /etc/...

Deleted mail being queued and mailed
I'm using 5.1 and have just started having trouble after reading a message and hitting the trash can, the trashed message is queued for mailing and it's not being deleted. Paul Rumpty <snotzalot@delphiforums.com> wrote: > I'm using 5.1 and have just started having trouble after reading a message > and hitting the trash can, the trashed message is queued for mailing and > it's not being deleted. Are you saying that supposedly deleted received messages are being queued as outgoing messages instead of going to the trash? Or are you talking a...

Mail.app Q: How to delete account without deleting mail
The last time I deleted (or de-activated) an email account in Mail, as I recall, it deleted the associated emails as well. Is there a way to retain the emails (both sent and received) in my Inbox/Sent folders? Thanks again all, Rog On 2006-10-21 09:56:07 -0400, Roger <roger@roger.net> said: > The last time I deleted (or de-activated) an email account in Mail, as > I recall, it deleted the associated emails as well. Is there a way to > retain the emails (both sent and received) in my Inbox/Sent folders? > Thanks again all, > Rog I would think that you coud save th...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Delete mail from POP server in Mail?
Subject says it: is there away to force Mail to mark a mail for deletion *on the server* the same way I can do in Eudora? That is, without wiping it completely from the local mailbox. This is the way I handle mail marked [**SPAM**] at work. My filter takes 3 actions: Junk, mark as read, and delete from server. Very efficient - I can salvage false positives, andI can check my mail from home without getting all the spam there too. I also regularly mark "real" messages for deletion when I don't want to read them again at home. In the process of switching from Eudora to Mail, thi...

Mail automatically deleting junk mail
On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as soon as she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents. I can't find anything in the preferences that would be causing this. Any suggestions? Thanks! In article <timmcn-52B943.23120425102006@news.iphouse.com>, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote: > On my wife's iBook, Mail is automatically deleting junk mail as soon as > she clicks on the Junk Mail folder to check the contents. I can't find > anything in the preferences that would be causing this. Any > suggestio...

Yahoo mail problems
Hi, Noted that others have had problems with Yahoo mail. I sometimes simply do not receive emails - I am told they are sent, but I check my inbox, bulk and trash folder and they are nowhere to be found. This, though rarely, seems to happen with email sent from Latvian addresses - with .lv extension. Perhaps there might be some built in blocking in Yahoo mail? Funny thing is it is not constant - sometimes mail from an address will be delivered, and sometimes it won't. I see nothing in my filters that would cause the messages to fail to be delivered. I am even a paying user (yahoo mail p...

Mail junk mail filtering problem
I just started emailing photos from my cell phone to my home email address, but I'm finding that they all end up in the Junk folder. I added the email address to my Address Book. I have the preference set to exempt emails with sender from my Address Book. The Trust junk mail headers set by my ISP is off. I even have a rule that changes the color for all people that are in my Address Book. So these emails arrive color coded as being a known address, the from field actually shows my name from my address book, but still they keep showing up in my Junk email box. I've clicked Not J...

Web resources about - Problem deleting mails - comp.pegasus-mail.windows

Deleting Online Predators Act of 2006 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( DOPA ) is a bill ( H.R. 5319 ) brought before the United States House of Representatives on May 9, 2006 by Republican Pennsylvania Representative ...

Are You Deleting Facebook Messages Or Unknowingly Saving Them?
You might find yourself, on occasion, the recipient or sender of hostile or just plain weird Facebook messages . And you likely delete these ...

Deleting your Facebook page is foolish
... brag, trailing closely behind that fantastically annoying “I don’t even have a TV , never mind watch the drivel!” Let’s lay it out: deleting ...

AdWords Campaign Experiments: Applying or deleting your experimental changes - YouTube
To improve your AdWords experience, we're testing a new tool that helps you optimize your account. AdWords Campaign Experiments, or ACE, does ...

Deleting abusive online content a 'near impossible' task
POSTING offensive, harassing, intimidating or defamatory content online takes mere seconds, but getting it removed can take what feels like a ...

Paleo advocate Pete Evans accused of deleting critical posts on Facebook
Is Paleo Pete Evans is open to dietary debate? Some say he's not.

Microsoft on the threshold of deleting 'appalling' Windows 8 software
MICROSOFT plans to cut its losses on Windows 8, the latest version of the software that runs the majority of the world's computers, jettisoning ...

How to get iOS 8 without deleting everything on your phone
If you've tried downloading iOS 8, or know anyone who has already done so, you're probably familiar with the biggest complaint: The download ...

Deleting gun data breaks law, info czar says
Information Commissioner Suzanne Legault told a Commons committee Tuesday that a federal bill to destroy all the records in the long-gun registry ...

Jason Kenney under fire for praising ‘perfect, unaccented English’, deleting tweet
Canada's Minister for Multiculturalism, Jason Kenney, caused an upset Monday after praising an 11-year-old Iraqi refugee who "already speaks ...