urls don't work: shell.dll 'missing'

Suddenly clicking on urls in mail messages don't work. Double-clicking
the green underlined link or using the right-click menu option 'open
in web-browser' results in an error message saying "couldn't find
SHELL.DLL", and then another one saying that it couldn't run a 16-bit
windows program, giving the path to urlproxy.exe, which I guess is
part of pegasus mail, and saying it couldn't run it or one of its
components. After that the program freezes.

I did a search for shell.dll and it appears to be right there in
C:\WINNT\system .  I tried installing the latest version (I think we
were running 4.12 before), but that didn't help, perhaps not
surprisingly.

Any ideas?

|Andrew Tarr | arc@stuff.gen.nz	|  http://arc.stuff.gen.nz
|GPG Public Key:- http://arc.stuff.gen.nz/andrew.gpg
|_____
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not
some strangeness in the proportions"
--Francis Bacon
|~~~~~

0
Andrew

Andrew <arc@stuff.gen.nz> wrote in news:85654qpl1e.fsf@stuff.gen.nz:

> Suddenly clicking on urls in mail messages don't work. Double-clicking
> the green underlined link or using the right-click menu option 'open
> in web-browser' results in an error message saying "couldn't find
> SHELL.DLL", and then another one saying that it couldn't run a 16-bit
> windows program, giving the path to urlproxy.exe, which I guess is
> part of pegasus mail, and saying it couldn't run it or one of its
> components. After that the program freezes.
>
> I did a search for shell.dll and it appears to be right there in
> C:\WINNT\system .  I tried installing the latest version (I think we
> were running 4.12 before), but that didn't help, perhaps not
> surprisingly.
>
> Any ideas?

Information that would be helpful:

1.  version of Pegasus Mail that you're presently using.
2.  version of Windows that you're presently using
3.  browser(s) that you're presently using

To the best of my recollection, URLPROXY.EXE hasn't been necessary since
the days of Win 3.1.

Recommendations to start with:

Try the following settings on the "Hyperlinks" page of the Tools::Options
dialog box:

Find Browser Automatically: ON
Use URLPROXY.EXE: OFF
Web browser commandline: <empty>
Use the nonstandard URLs expected by Internet Explorer: OFF

I've found these settings, on Win 2000 Pro, Win XP Pro, with Internet
Explorer and Firefox, have worked satisfactorily.

Cheers
GRB

Greg R. Broderick                 [rot13] terto@oynpxubyvb.qlaqaf.bet
                                  [rot13] tnalzrqr@fcrnxrnfl.arg
A. Top posters.
Greg

Web resources about - urls don't work: shell.dll 'missing' - comp.pegasus-mail.windows