Using Pegasus Mail from multiple computers; archiving mail folders

I currently use Pegasus Mail for Windows (XP Professional) from my
laptop. I put the mail in a root directory c:\Mail. I am thinking of
adding a desktop computer and using my existing laptop much less
frequently; I would copy over c:\Mail to a drive on the desktop that
could be shared, say d:\Mail, and have a few questions:

* I know I'd have to edit pmail.ini to point to d:\Mail .

* When I am local and able to access d:\Mail, there should be no
problem as long as I have only one client open at a time, I believe.
But say that I am remote, perhaps on a trip, and want to use Pegasus
Mail on my laptop without access to the shared drive. Would my only
option be to first copy the master d:\Mail over to the laptop's c:\Mail
and reset pmail.ini on the laptop; and copy c:\Mail to the shared
d:\Mail when I return?  Is there a simpler solution?

On another note, is there a good solution to archiving old mail
folders? Thanks!

    Dilip

0
barman

On 23 Feb 2006 10:23:09 -0800, barman@jhu.edu wrote:

> I currently use Pegasus Mail for Windows (XP Professional) from my
> laptop. I put the mail in a root directory c:\Mail. I am thinking of
> adding a desktop computer and using my existing laptop much less
> frequently; I would copy over c:\Mail to a drive on the desktop that
> could be shared, say d:\Mail, and have a few questions:
>
> * I know I'd have to edit pmail.ini to point to d:\Mail .
>
> * When I am local and able to access d:\Mail, there should be no
> problem as long as I have only one client open at a time, I believe.
> But say that I am remote, perhaps on a trip, and want to use Pegasus
> Mail on my laptop without access to the shared drive. Would my only
> option be to first copy the master d:\Mail over to the laptop's c:\Mail
> and reset pmail.ini on the laptop; and copy c:\Mail to the shared
> d:\Mail when I return?  Is there a simpler solution?
>
> On another note, is there a good solution to archiving old mail
> folders? Thanks!
>
>     Dilip

I would recommend using the same drive/directory on each system -- C:\Pmail,
for example.  That way, when you can copy the entire directory (plus
subdirectories) from laptop to desktop and vice versa without having to
change the .ini or .cfg files.

I do this, using XXCOPY to do the copies, immediately before I take the
laptop on the road, and immediately upon my return.  Works like a charm!

Regarding archiving old email -- I created a second mailbox called "Archived
Folders" on another partition on my desktop, and just move messages there
when I want to clear old ones out of the active/default mailbox.  I just
mirrored the folder setup to keep old messages filed in the same manner as
new ones.  It doesn't have to be located on another partition -- I just did
this to help manage segregate active and passive data on separate
partitions.

One thing I also do [it's awkward, but that is part of the charm in using
Pegasus  :-)  ]  is to rename all the folders' file names (both .pmi and
..pmm files) to somthing similar to the "friendly names" that I gave then
when I created them).  Pegasus will pick them up the next time it is opened,
based on Pegasus' "unique ID" for each folder, which does not change during
this renaming exercize.

<soapbox>
One more item for the "wish list" -- when creating folders, use the name
provided by the user, rather than the "FOLD1234" type of random number that
Pegasus currently uses.
</soapbox>
0
Jay
2/23/2006 11:14:37 PM
On 23 Feb 2006 10:23:09 -0800, barman@jhu.edu wrote:

>I currently use Pegasus Mail for Windows (XP Professional) from my
>laptop. I put the mail in a root directory c:\Mail. I am thinking of
>adding a desktop computer and using my existing laptop much less
>frequently; I would copy over c:\Mail to a drive on the desktop that
>could be shared, say d:\Mail, and have a few questions:

Do a Google search for message ID
Xns9770A4A16B202fritzfriicom@216.168.3.50

The subject line was Mobile Installations and actually discussed
similar to what you are asking.

The thread was on this group recently.

Geoff Lane

0
Geoff

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Archiving mail messages outside Pegasus Mail?
I have a message folder in Pmail 4.31 with around 500 mail messages including file attachmentsrelated to a work project that has finished some weeks ago. What would be the best way to archive the messages in the folder? Schould I leave the folder in the folder tree and hope that the Pmail message hierarchy system will not be corrupted, or is there a way to put all the messages, with attachments included, out from Pmail and store them to a CD-ROM, and they can then be restored, if needed, for some reason later? I don't need the folder in the folder tree any longer, but I have to sav...

Archive a Pegasus mail folder
I have a few mail folders which I wish to keep the mail therein somewhere else as it's clogging up the system but need to keep the mails. - one folder has 821 in it - somw tih large attachements.... Is there a way of archiving certain folders somewhere else (copy the actual pmail files), so I can "free" pegasus of these but copy them back in if I need to? Using PM4.12a advTHANKSance 3ff727b7.1422250@169.100.100.5, Tym <no_spam@ictis.net>: > I have a few mail folders which I wish to keep the mail therein > somewhere else as it's clogging up t...

Pegasus Mail freezes when sending mail
Hello, We have Pegasus Mail version 4.41 set up on a Windows Network. The programs are run in workstation mode so that they are running the executables off the network. We are using a roaming profile. We have one particular computer that intermittently freezes up when sending mail. This workstation is a Windows XP Professional SP2 machine. The program becomes unresponsive (eternal hourglass), and even manually ending the program from task manager won't work. The person using this workstation tells me it seems to happen more when replying to messsages from a user than when ...

PGP Extension for Pegasus Mail 6.2.7.0 [required for Pegasus Mail 4.5] released
Version 6.2.7.0 / 6-2009 (13.06.2009): ATTENTION: This update is required for the extension to work properly = with Pegasus Mail v4.5! The most important change is a new send option ("all in one message") = which may be selected via the entries beginning with "***" in the encryption dialog. Some minor adjustments to PGP 9.7 - 9.10, a new option for displaying the local time on Pegasus Mail's status bar and a way for synchronizing the system time with a timeserver are included as well. Additionally the following bugs have been fixed amongst others: - E...

I use Pegasus Mail to filter E-mail and block spam for FREE, all spam.pnp updates posted here!
I was using Pegasus Mail in the 90's and recently decided to look at it again. The author's web site is http://www.pmail.com and he has continued its development into something incredibly useful. Most amazing of all is that he keeps it free by only selling the documentation.. Anyway, in addition to its neat automatic spam content filter, you can create and utilize custom filters which will in fact filter everything and do so on the server side, if you tell it to. I figured it all out in one night using the HELP INDEX included with Pegasus Mail. The filter file I...

Mail and imported mail in mail app

Using Mail::IMAPClient and Mail::Folder together
I want to manipulate mail messages between IMAP servers and local folders. I have got Mail::IMAPClient working nicely and now want to start on the local mail folders. The Mail::Folder module uses a Mail::Internet object to hold the mail messages it appends to and gets from folders. How can I easily move messages between what's returned by IMAPClient's get_body and get_header methods and Mail::Internet's append methods? -- Chris Green ...

Setting up Pegasus Mail for Windows for intranet use only
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I am a bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sy...

Pegasus Mail Messages being filtered by addresseess Mail Systems
Hello, since a couple of months, and more for some addressees, I have experienced a problem: when I send them a message written with Pegasus Mail it is rejected by the target system... but not when I send it with Outlook Express or Mozilla Thunderbird... that whas happening a few years ago and Pegasus Mail drop during a few months its proudily X-Mailer keyword... would it be possible to do it again???, or is there any "back door option" for instructing Pegasus MAil not to sign its messages with this keyword?? Kind regards, ...

Archiving mail from mail.app
I need to save just every mail I receive and be able to search the archive. Mail.app's search capabilities are pathetic at best. I've searched around and found some AppleScript's that do some manner of import into FileMaker database, but they are limited in file size and capability to deal with attachments. I currently create new mailboxes with old mail to keep the mailbox from growing too huge, but am still stuck with poor search features. Otherwise, I am quite happy with Mail.app (Jaguar) and prefer to keep it. Does anyone have practical solutions for dealing with large ...

Setting up Pegasus Mail for Windows for intranet use only #2
Hello, I continue to have difficulties in setting up Pegasus Mail for use on a Microsoft Windows based network. I initially set up the software on a machine running Windows 98SE. The version I'm installing is 4.41a. It was my understanding that I can share the drive where Pegasus Mail (E:\PMAIL) is installed and simply have other workstations run this copy of the software without installing a separate version on any of the workstations. I do not want to have any Internet e-mail addresses (i.e. mike@mgi.com), but simply users like mike, jo, frank, chris, etc. I could not ...

Web resources about - Using Pegasus Mail from multiple computers; archiving mail folders - comp.pegasus-mail.windows