Virscan update for AVG2012

I have been advised that updating to the 2012 release of AVG requires
that Virscan.ini be updated. Using Notepad, the following AVG
location line should replace the existing line, with the directory
information suitably updated for your installation:

CmdLine=C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\Avgscana.exe /SCAN /ARC
"%f"

Please note that the program executable has also changed from
Avgscanx.exe to Avgscana.exe

Martin

0
Martin

On 9/22/2011 3:15 PM, Martin Ireland wrote:
> I have been advised that updating to the 2012 release of AVG requires
> that Virscan.ini be updated. Using Notepad, the following AVG
> location line should replace the existing line, with the directory
> information suitably updated for your installation:
>
> CmdLine=C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\Avgscana.exe /SCAN /ARC
> "%f"
>
> Please note that the program executable has also changed from
> Avgscanx.exe to Avgscana.exe
>
> Martin

I am suspicious about anything that pops up like this.  Where did the
information come from?  Why do you think it is reliable?

Bill

0
Bill
9/22/2011 8:40:40 PM
On 9/22/2011 4:40 PM, Bill McCray wrote:
> On 9/22/2011 3:15 PM, Martin Ireland wrote:
>> I have been advised that updating to the 2012 release of AVG requires
>> that Virscan.ini be updated. Using Notepad, the following AVG
>> location line should replace the existing line, with the directory
>> information suitably updated for your installation:
>>
>> CmdLine=C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\Avgscana.exe /SCAN /ARC
>> "%f"
>>
>> Please note that the program executable has also changed from
>> Avgscanx.exe to Avgscana.exe
>>
>> Martin
>>

> I am suspicious about anything that pops up like this. Where did the
> information come from? Why do you think it is reliable?

After a bit of exploring on the AVG site, I see a FAQ that says the
AVGSCANA is for 64-bit computers, AVGSCANX is for others.  It appears
that the advice is correct if you have a 64-bit computer.

Bill

0
Bill
9/22/2011 8:51:50 PM
On 9/22/2011 4:51 PM, Bill McCray wrote:
> On 9/22/2011 4:40 PM, Bill McCray wrote:
>> On 9/22/2011 3:15 PM, Martin Ireland wrote:
>>> I have been advised that updating to the 2012 release of AVG requires
>>> that Virscan.ini be updated. Using Notepad, the following AVG
>>> location line should replace the existing line, with the directory
>>> information suitably updated for your installation:
>>>
>>> CmdLine=C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\Avgscana.exe /SCAN /ARC
>>> "%f"
>>>
>>> Please note that the program executable has also changed from
>>> Avgscanx.exe to Avgscana.exe
>>>
>>> Martin
>>>

>> I am suspicious about anything that pops up like this. Where did the
>> information come from? Why do you think it is reliable?
>
> After a bit of exploring on the AVG site, I see a FAQ that says the
> AVGSCANA is for 64-bit computers, AVGSCANX is for others. It appears
> that the advice is correct if you have a 64-bit computer.

It says:

You can use the AVG scanner with 3rd party program scanning options.
There is a difference based on your system architecture. If you use a 32
bit system (x86) you need to use avgscanx.exe file for the scanning. For
64 bit systems (x64) you should use the avgscana.exe file.

Usually it is necessary to use the /scan parameter with the path of the
file location. We also recommend using other parameters, e.g.:

     /HEUR - Use heuristic analysis
     /ARC - Scan archives
     /CLEAN - Clean automatically

You can access the complete list of parameters by starting the
avgscan?.exe with the /HELP parameter or in FAQ 3604.

These are examples of the AVG scanner configuration in some popular
applications:

     GetRight
     Tools -> GetRight Configuration -> Advanced -> When Done
     Virus Scanner program to use:
     "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgscanx.exe" /heur /clean /arc
/scan="%FILE%"
     (on 64 bit system, use folder Program FIles(x86) and avgscana.exe
instead)
     WinRAR
     Tools -> Scan archive for viruses
     Virus scanner name:
     C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgscanx.exe
     (on 64 bit system, use folder Program FIles(x86) and avgscana.exe
instead)
     Virus scanner parameters:
     /scan=%f /ext=* /arc /clean
     Miranda IM
     Options -> Events -> File Transfer
     Command line:
     "C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgscanx.exe" /scan=%f /ext=* /arc /clean
     (on 64 bit system, use folder Program FIles(x86) and avgscana.exe
instead)
     Windows Live Messenger
     Due to the Windows Live Messenger feature, the above mentioned
parameters cannot be used. However your computer is still protected by
residential parts of AVG.

Note:
If you installed AVG to a folder other than the default one, it is
necessary to change the path to the file avgscan?.exe. Please bear in
mind that the specific parameters depend on the given application. In
this case you should ask the provider of the software for the necessary
information.
0
Bill

I use Pegasus Mail to filter E-mail and block spam for FREE, all spam.pnp updates posted here!
I was using Pegasus Mail in the 90's and recently decided to look at it again. The author's web site is http://www.pmail.com and he has continued its development into something incredibly useful. Most amazing of all is that he keeps it free by only selling the documentation.. Anyway, in addition to its neat automatic spam content filter, you can create and utilize custom filters which will in fact filter everything and do so on the server side, if you tell it to. I figured it all out in one night using the HELP INDEX included with Pegasus Mail. The filter file I...

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

Set up of Pegasus Mail for Windows-Intranet
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I ama bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sys...

Configuring windows withiin Pegasus Mail
On Pegasus Mail 4.12a (version of Jun 19 2003) on Windows 2000 Pro, I used to get 3 windows: - list of messages in New Mail folder - list of folders - window onto whatever message was selected in first window Now I only get first two windows. If I unselect save desktop in Tools>Options>Basic Settings then I only get the first window (although ctrl-L gets me the second) and if I select it I get the first two (provided they were showing on my last session). How do I get all three and have them show up when I enter Pegasus? On 22 Dec 2003 08:30:49 -0800, ggrothendieck@v...

Pegasus Mail and Windows administrator privileges
Hi Group I have used Pegasus Mail under Win98 since several years and I'm happy with it. Now I have a new WinXP machine and want to reinstall. I have the following problem: I tried Pegasus v421c. It seems it only works if the user has the Windows administrator privileges (XP Home Edition SP2). Is this the normal behavior ? I am quite surprised with this. Thanks a lot. I am running WinPmail 4.21 with restricted user privileges on Windows 2000 and as a main user with Windows XP Pro without having any problems and changing any settings. I think, it would be most important,...

Windows Live SMTP access with Pegasus Mail
As of today, Windows Live Hotmail allows free Hotmail account access via SMTP. The server information is: smtp.live.com:587 The MS clients (Outlook (prior to 2007), Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and Windows Live Mail) reportedly work by setting the client to use SSL. I have tested this with MS Outlook Express 6, and it works. MS Outlook 2007 reportedly works using TLS. I have not tested this, because I don't have a copy of MS Outlook 2007. Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.19, and SeaMonkey 1.1.14 both also work, using TLS. However, setting 'smtp.live.com:587' with START...

Updating a window from a modaldialog window
Is it possible to update a control in a window from a modaldialog window while the modaldialog window is open and has focus? The modaldialog window is generating some data and I want to show status, e.g. page 1, page 2, page 3 etc. in a statusfield in the parent window. IVer@tda.no ...

Setting up Pegasus Mail for Windows for intranet use only
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I am a bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sy...

How to update window after wxGrid is updated?
Hi. I'm starting to learn wxPython and for an exercise I'm writing a simple CSV file viewer. I just read in the CSV file and create a wx.Grid with the data. I'm using Python 2.3.2 with wxPython 2.4.2.4. Everything runs fine under linux, but when I try the same code on a Win XP machine, I have a window, but the frame the grid is in isn't seen until I do a minimize/maximize on the window. Besides that, it seems to run fine. I tried to do a self.Refresh(True, self.grid.GetRect()), but that didn't help. Here is the code: #!/bin/env python """ Python script...

How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003?
How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003? We cannot read email by Pegasus in Windows after copy the email folder from Netware Server. Server information: The Mercury (NLM version 1.48) The Mercury (Win32 version 4.01a) ...

PGP Extension for Pegasus Mail 6.2.7.0 [required for Pegasus Mail 4.5] released
Version 6.2.7.0 / 6-2009 (13.06.2009): ATTENTION: This update is required for the extension to work properly = with Pegasus Mail v4.5! The most important change is a new send option ("all in one message") = which may be selected via the entries beginning with "***" in the encryption dialog. Some minor adjustments to PGP 9.7 - 9.10, a new option for displaying the local time on Pegasus Mail's status bar and a way for synchronizing the system time with a timeserver are included as well. Additionally the following bugs have been fixed amongst others: - E...

How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003?
How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003? We cannot read email by Pegasus in Windows after copy the email folder from Netware Server. Server information: The Mercury (NLM version 1.48) The Mercury (Win32 version 4.01a) ...

Setting up Pegasus Mail for Windows for intranet use only #2
Hello, I continue to have difficulties in setting up Pegasus Mail for use on a Microsoft Windows based network. I initially set up the software on a machine running Windows 98SE. The version I'm installing is 4.41a. It was my understanding that I can share the drive where Pegasus Mail (E:\PMAIL) is installed and simply have other workstations run this copy of the software without installing a separate version on any of the workstations. I do not want to have any Internet e-mail addresses (i.e. mike@mgi.com), but simply users like mike, jo, frank, chris, etc. I could not ...

Pegasus Mail for Windows reading PM Dos version mailboxes
Hello, We are considering going from the DOS based Pegasus Mail (we have version 3.4) to the Windows version of PM. Our mailboxes are currently stored on a Netware 3.12 server. There are about 10-15 mailboxes. Are there any issues that might be involved in converting or using both the DOS and Windows versions simultaneously? Two the two versions use the same mailbox format? TIA Mike McWhinney elja, Inc. On 2 Feb 2006 15:41:18 -0800, eljainc@sbcglobal.net <eljainc@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > stored on a Netware 3.12 server. There are about 10-15 mailboxes. Are > t...

Web resources about - Virscan update for AVG2012 - comp.pegasus-mail.windows

VirScan Study: Viral Antibody Blood Test Research Showed Some Shocking Results
A remarkable viral antibody test known as “VirScan” has been created, but the research demonstrating the test’s capabilities showed some surprising ...

Meet The Blood Test VirScan That Can Reveal Every Virus You've Ever Been Infected With
Scientists have come up with an incredibly cheap blood test that can detect every virus that has ever infected you. VirScan can screen a person ...

Ruchira Dhoke
Jump to Navigation AU EDITION - Monday, June 22, 2015 As of 1:22 AM AEST Subscribe AU Edition Australia Edition China Edition India Edition Italy ...

One drop of blood reveals every virus you've had
Using less than a drop of blood, a new test can reveal nearly every virus a person has ever been exposed to, scientists report.

Superintendent won't say if he'll drop cheering charges
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — The Mississippi school superintendent who pressed charges against people for cheering at a high school graduation says ...

New technique promises to reveal a person’s history of viral infections
But it under-reports many viruses and only works on ones we know about.

Dancho Danchev's Blog - Mind Streams of Information Security Knowledge
According to a blog post at PandaLabs , a massive and very persistent blackhat SEO campaign exclusively hijacking " hot BBC and CNN news " related ...

The VirScan Can Reveal Viral History with One Drop of Blood
The VirScan, developed at Brigham and Women's Hospital, can reveal your entire viral history with one drop of blood.

This revolutionary technology uses a drop of blood and $25 to tell you all the viruses you've ever had ...
... The hospital Elledge hails from, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, recently applied for a patent on the test, which the researchers named VirScan. ...

Blood Test Can Detect Every Virus You’ve Ever Had
With a drop of blood, a new technology called VirScan can identify all of the viruses that a person has been exposed to over the course of their ...