Win 7 and Pegasus - pauses

I've been a long-time Pegasus user (since 2.x) and have always loved
it. Can't imagine using anything else. Always ran perfectly on
everything from Win 3.1 onwards until I upgraded to 64-bit Win 7 a few
months back.

Since then I find it sometimes pauses before opening a message, and
often takes a while to display the folder tree again after closing a
message. Still usable but annoying if you're in a hurry. Has anyone
else seen similar behaviour?

I'm unsure whether it's an issue between the OS and Pegasus or if it
might be a display driver issue. I was recenly talking to a friend in
Canada who was a Eudora user and who has just upgraded and is trying
Pegasus and she is also reporting slowness.

Any known issues or indications of a likely improvement in ver 5?

TIA

Bill Marshall
0
Bill

On 09 Jan 2012, Bill Marshall <bill.marshall@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote
in comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows:

> I've been a long-time Pegasus user (since 2.x) and have always
> loved it. Can't imagine using anything else. Always ran perfectly
> on everything from Win 3.1 onwards until I upgraded to 64-bit Win
> 7 a few months back.
>
> Since then I find it sometimes pauses before opening a message,
> and often takes a while to display the folder tree again after
> closing a message. Still usable but annoying if you're in a hurry.
> Has anyone else seen similar behaviour?
>
> I'm unsure whether it's an issue between the OS and Pegasus or if
> it might be a display driver issue. I was recenly talking to a
> friend in Canada who was a Eudora user and who has just upgraded
> and is trying Pegasus and she is also reporting slowness.
>
> Any known issues or indications of a likely improvement in ver 5?

This sounds to me like the long-standing (like, decades long) issue
with Pegasus and certain printer drivers. In some situations,
especially if your default printer is a network printer, Pegasus is
VERY VERY slow to open messages. Apparently, Pegasus needs access to
the driver in order to display message text. Doesn't make good sense to
me, and the issue has caused problems for a lot of people for a long
time.

In my case, my main printer is a Epson USB inkjet printer hanging off
another computer on my LAN. When that is selected as Windows default
printer on my main computer, every message takes several seconds to
open up

The workaround is set your default printer to something else. You might
install a Text Only printer - I use CutePDF Writer, a print-to-PDF
pseudo-printer, and it avoids the slowdown.

If that's not your problem, I don't what it could be.
0
Nil
1/10/2012 6:36:27 AM
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 01:36:27 -0500, Nil
<rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote:

>This sounds to me like the long-standing (like, decades long) issue
>with Pegasus and certain printer drivers. In some situations,
>especially if your default printer is a network printer, Pegasus is
>VERY VERY slow to open messages. Apparently, Pegasus needs access to
>the driver in order to display message text. Doesn't make good sense to
>me, and the issue has caused problems for a lot of people for a long
>time.
>
>In my case, my main printer is a Epson USB inkjet printer hanging off
>another computer on my LAN. When that is selected as Windows default
>printer on my main computer, every message takes several seconds to
>open up
>
>The workaround is set your default printer to something else. You might
>install a Text Only printer - I use CutePDF Writer, a print-to-PDF
>pseudo-printer, and it avoids the slowdown.
>
>If that's not your problem, I don't what it could be.

Many thanks for reminding me of that - I had quite forgotten it but
remember now reading about it many years ago. I do indeed have a
network printer installed as default on my current setup; a venerable
but still reliable HP Laserjet 5P. I'll try changing it to a local
setting and see what happens.

Much obliged

Bill Marshall
0
Bill

PGP Extension for Pegasus Mail 6.2.7.0 [required for Pegasus Mail 4.5] released
Version 6.2.7.0 / 6-2009 (13.06.2009): ATTENTION: This update is required for the extension to work properly = with Pegasus Mail v4.5! The most important change is a new send option ("all in one message") = which may be selected via the entries beginning with "***" in the encryption dialog. Some minor adjustments to PGP 9.7 - 9.10, a new option for displaying the local time on Pegasus Mail's status bar and a way for synchronizing the system time with a timeserver are included as well. Additionally the following bugs have been fixed amongst others: - E...

PGP Extension for Pegasus Mail 6.2.7.2 [Win 7 and PGP 10 adjustments] released
Version 6.2.7.2 / 03-2010 (06.03.2010): This Version provides mainly adjustments for using it on Windows 7 = systems, the most important one fixing the display and printing of formatted text which don't depend on modules outside of Pegasus Mail anymore. = Additionally it's been adjusted to the inconsistent version handling of the PGP = interface in version 9.12 and been tested with PGP 10: successful so far ... Download from: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/download.htm> Michael --=20 PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http:/...

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

Pegasus and Windows 7
Is there a trick to force Windows 7 to use Pegasus when you invoke a web browser's "Send Link" function? Pegasus is set up as Window's default system mailer, and I've invoked Pegasus's own "Enable as the default handler for mailto: URLs" option. Yet, Firefox still brings up Windows Live Mail. It all works the way I want on my XP and Vista computers. Nil <rednoise@REMOVETHIScomcast.net> wrote: > Is there a trick to force Windows 7 to use Pegasus when you > invoke a web browser's "Send Link" function? Pegasus is set u...

Pegasus Mail and Windows administrator privileges
Hi Group I have used Pegasus Mail under Win98 since several years and I'm happy with it. Now I have a new WinXP machine and want to reinstall. I have the following problem: I tried Pegasus v421c. It seems it only works if the user has the Windows administrator privileges (XP Home Edition SP2). Is this the normal behavior ? I am quite surprised with this. Thanks a lot. I am running WinPmail 4.21 with restricted user privileges on Windows 2000 and as a main user with Windows XP Pro without having any problems and changing any settings. I think, it would be most important,...

Set up of Pegasus Mail for Windows-Intranet
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I ama bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sys...

Configuring windows withiin Pegasus Mail
On Pegasus Mail 4.12a (version of Jun 19 2003) on Windows 2000 Pro, I used to get 3 windows: - list of messages in New Mail folder - list of folders - window onto whatever message was selected in first window Now I only get first two windows. If I unselect save desktop in Tools>Options>Basic Settings then I only get the first window (although ctrl-L gets me the second) and if I select it I get the first two (provided they were showing on my last session). How do I get all three and have them show up when I enter Pegasus? On 22 Dec 2003 08:30:49 -0800, ggrothendieck@v...

Setting up Pegasus Mail for Windows for intranet use only
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I am a bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sy...

Guide to Pegasus Mail Addons List #7
Last-Updated: 4 April 2004 Posting-Frequency: Every Two Months Version: 2.4.6 URL: ftp://ftp.demon.co.uk/pub/ibmpc/dos/apps/pmail/pmail-addons.txt Pegasus Mail - Programs to Make a Good Program Even Better ========================================================== Compiled by Michael Bernardi This document is for those who need to use PMAIL in a slightly non standard environment. ie NOT just in Native Netware, MHS or via Mercury or Charon, or who want to add something to the standard installation. It attempts to list every program that can be used with any of the current versi...

Windows Live SMTP access with Pegasus Mail
As of today, Windows Live Hotmail allows free Hotmail account access via SMTP. The server information is: smtp.live.com:587 The MS clients (Outlook (prior to 2007), Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and Windows Live Mail) reportedly work by setting the client to use SSL. I have tested this with MS Outlook Express 6, and it works. MS Outlook 2007 reportedly works using TLS. I have not tested this, because I don't have a copy of MS Outlook 2007. Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.19, and SeaMonkey 1.1.14 both also work, using TLS. However, setting 'smtp.live.com:587' with START...

Pointer to Guide to Pegasus Mail Addons List #7
Last-Updated: 30 June 2003 Posting-Frequency: Weekly Version: 2.4.5 Pegasus Mail - Programs to Make a Good Program Even Better ========================================================== Compiled by Michael Bernardi The "Guide to Pegasus Mail Addons List" is for those who need to use PMAIL in a slightly non standard environment. ie NOT just in Native Netware, MHS or via Mercury or via POP3 or SMTP or who want to add something to the standard installation. It attempts to list every program that can be used with any of the current versions of Pegasus Mail. NOTE I have N...

Setting up Pegasus Mail for Windows for intranet use only #2
Hello, I continue to have difficulties in setting up Pegasus Mail for use on a Microsoft Windows based network. I initially set up the software on a machine running Windows 98SE. The version I'm installing is 4.41a. It was my understanding that I can share the drive where Pegasus Mail (E:\PMAIL) is installed and simply have other workstations run this copy of the software without installing a separate version on any of the workstations. I do not want to have any Internet e-mail addresses (i.e. mike@mgi.com), but simply users like mike, jo, frank, chris, etc. I could not ...

How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003?
How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003? We cannot read email by Pegasus in Windows after copy the email folder from Netware Server. Server information: The Mercury (NLM version 1.48) The Mercury (Win32 version 4.01a) ...

How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003?
How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003? We cannot read email by Pegasus in Windows after copy the email folder from Netware Server. Server information: The Mercury (NLM version 1.48) The Mercury (Win32 version 4.01a) ...

Pegasus 4.7: clicking on e-mail addresses
The other day something notified me that the version of Pegasus I was using was out of date, and said I would do0wnload the latest version (4.7). I did, and now when I click on e-mail addresses in my web browser (Firefox) it won't open Pegasus and open a new message. Is this a known bug in Pegasus 4.7? Is there a way to fix it, or should I reinstall the older version? -- Steve Hayes from Tshwane, South Africa Web: http://www.khanya.org.za/stevesig.htm Blog: http://khanya.wordpress.com E-mail - see web page, or parse: shayes at dunelm full stop org full stop uk On ...

Web resources about - Win 7 and Pegasus - pauses - comp.pegasus-mail.windows

Pegasus (rocket) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... Three main stages burning solid propellant provide the thrust. It flies as a rocket-powered aircraft before leaving the atmosphere. The Pegasus ...

Pegasus (@pegasustreet) on Twitter

Pegasus In The Rough - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The #3 KC-46 out in the fuel dock and receiving more work for the flight test program before she takes flight. ©2014 Paul Carter All Rights Reserved ...

ASUS Pegasus X002 teaser - YouTube
More China phones, tablet and other gadgets news and review, please visit: http://www.gizmochina.com Follow us Facebook: https://www.faceboo ...

Canberra's Pegasus riding school hopes tack sale will help troubled finances
Canberra's much loved disabled riding school is holding its first ever tack and&nbsp;treasure fundraiser as it faces looming financial uncertainties. ...

The Complex Identity of the Archetypal Hero: A Fictional Treatise with Unicorn Pegasus Kittens
... John Scalzi announced a contest for stories describing this image , which shows ex-Star-Trek star Wil Wheaton riding a winged unicorn pegasus ...

ASUS unveils the Pegasus 2 Plus smartphone – 5.5-inch display, 3GB of RAM, 13MP camera
ASUS on Saturday announced a new smartphone called the Pegasus 2 Plus X550, which brings some decent specifications to the table for what will ...

modern combat 2: black pegasus Articles - AppAdvice iPhone/iPad News
Latest modern combat 2: black pegasus Articles - AppAdvice iPhone/iPad News

Free Download Asphalt 6 Adrenaline and Modern Combat 2 Black Pegasus
Free Download Asphalt 6 Adrenaline and Modern Combat 2 Black Pegasus BerryReview Not so much with Robert Scoble in particular, but with Silicon ...

Pegasus Warning releasing EP, playing NYC tonight
by Andrew Sacher Pegasus Warning at Brooklyn Bowl in October (more by Sarah Gainer) Pegasus Warning (aka NYC musician Guillermo E. Brown) is ...