Windows Live SMTP access with Pegasus Mail

As of today, Windows Live Hotmail allows free Hotmail account access via
SMTP. The server information is:

smtp.live.com:587

The MS clients (Outlook (prior to 2007), Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and
Windows Live Mail) reportedly work by setting the client to use SSL. I have
tested this with MS Outlook Express 6, and it works. MS Outlook 2007
reportedly works using TLS. I have not tested this, because I don't have a
copy of MS Outlook 2007.

Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.19, and SeaMonkey 1.1.14 both also work, using
TLS.

However, setting 'smtp.live.com:587' with STARTTLS in Pegasus Mail results
in an error:

| [*] Connection established to 65.55.172.254
| >> 0130 220 BLU0-SMTP14.blu0.hotmail.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.2668 ready at  Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:37:17 -0800
| << 0023 EHLO [192.168.102.34]
| >> 0056 250-BLU0-SMTP14.blu0.hotmail.com Hello [68.127.105.99]
| >> 0010 250-TURN
| >> 0019 250-SIZE 35840000
| >> 0010 250-ETRN
| >> 0016 250-PIPELINING
| >> 0009 250-DSN
| >> 0025 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
| >> 0014 250-8bitmime
| >> 0016 250-BINARYMIME
| >> 0014 250-CHUNKING
| >> 0010 250-VRFY
| >> 0009 250-TLS
| >> 0014 250-STARTTLS
| >> 0008 250 OK
| << 0010 STARTTLS
| >> 0029 220 2.0.0 SMTP server ready
| 22: Error -32 activating SSL session (locus 6014, type 4, code 0, 'Server provided a broken/invalid certificate, try again with a reduced level of certificate complian')

The error suggests that I can reduce the level of certificate compliance.
Where would I go about doing this?

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:37:44 -0800, NormanM =
<spammers.are@immoral.invalid>
wrote:

> | 22: Error -32 activating SSL session (locus 6014, type 4, code 0, =
'Server provided a broken/invalid certificate, try again with a reduced =
level of certificate complian')
>=20
> The error suggests that I can reduce the level of certificate =
compliance.
> Where would I go about doing this?

You may disable certificate validation on Pegasus Mail's "Security" page =
for
the respective connection, BUT: In the first place THEY must not provide =
an
invalid certificate, so you should complain to them (after maybe =
searching
the web for similar complaints because their answer would probably rather
be: Why do you use such a ... (insert whatever appears applicable) email
client instead of our ... etc. pp.=20

					Michael

--=20
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
0
Michael
2/19/2009 1:53:51 PM
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:37:44 -0800, NormanM
<spammers.are@immoral.invalid> wrote:

>As of today, Windows Live Hotmail allows free Hotmail account access via
>SMTP. The server information is:
>
>smtp.live.com:587
>
>The MS clients (Outlook (prior to 2007), Outlook Express, Windows Mail, and
>Windows Live Mail) reportedly work by setting the client to use SSL. I have
>tested this with MS Outlook Express 6, and it works. MS Outlook 2007
>reportedly works using TLS. I have not tested this, because I don't have a
>copy of MS Outlook 2007.
>
>Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.19, and SeaMonkey 1.1.14 both also work, using
>TLS.
>
>However, setting 'smtp.live.com:587' with STARTTLS in Pegasus Mail results
>in an error:
>
>| [*] Connection established to 65.55.172.254
>| << 0023 EHLO [192.168.102.34]
>| << 0010 STARTTLS
>| 22: Error -32 activating SSL session (locus 6014, type 4, code 0, 'Server provided a broken/invalid certificate, try again with a reduced level of certificate complian')
>
>The error suggests that I can reduce the level of certificate compliance.
>Where would I go about doing this?

I get something a bit different, but it still doesn't work.  I'm using
4.51 pb1.

<< 0026 USER jss1941@hotmail.com
>> 0047 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
<< 0013 PASS XXXXXX
>> 0047 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
<< 0006 STAT
>> 0047 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first
<< 0006 LIST
>> 0047 530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first

I have set the port to 587, and set Pmail tgo use STARTTLS on the
Security tab.  Don't know what else to do.  Trying to use SSL directly
results in an immediate refusal of ther connection by the hotmail
server.

Has anyone been able to get this to work?
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
0
wrote:

Please try discussing this issue at the community, you'll most probably =
get
more replies there: =
<http://community.pmail.com/forums/10/ShowForum.aspx>.

					Michael

--=20
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
0
Michael
2/21/2009 10:39:57 AM
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:37:44 -0800, NormanM wrote:

> The error suggests that I can reduce the level of certificate compliance.
> Where would I go about doing this?

TOOLS -> INTERNET OPTIONS -> Sending (SMTP)

Click EDIT then select the SECURITY tab.  Click the item to DISABLE
CERTIFICATE VALIDATION.  That worked for me.
0
Palisade
2/22/2009 5:48:37 PM
wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:37:44 -0800, NormanM
> <spammers.are@immoral.invalid> wrote:
>=20
> >As of today, Windows Live Hotmail allows free Hotmail account access =
via
> >SMTP. The server information is:
> Has anyone been able to get this to work?

Here's the related community thread:

<http://community.pmail.com/forums/thread/15308.aspx>

					Michael

--=20
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
0
Michael
2/22/2009 7:00:37 PM
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:00:37 +0100, Michael in der Wiesche wrote:

> Here's the related community thread:

And here's the answer, right here on Usenet:

0
Palisade
2/22/2009 7:07:07 PM
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 14:07:07 -0500, Palisade <palisade@nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 20:00:37 +0100, Michael in der Wiesche wrote:
>=20
> > Here's the related community thread:
>=20
> And here's the answer, right here on Usenet:
>=20

Maybe, but you'll certainly deserve the award for nicely rephrasing other
peoples replies: <csoqp4tngo7dqf7j2j6ojrgf72h2ls8nhj@4ax.com>. And if you
read the community thread you'd also find out that this suggestion =
doesn't
seem to work for everyone, sorry ...

					Michael

--=20
PGP Key ID (RSA 2048): 0xC45D831B
PGP Plugin for Pegasus Mail: <http://www.pmpgp.de/pmpgp/>
0
Michael
2/22/2009 10:52:22 PM
On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 23:52:22 +0100, Michael in der Wiesche wrote:

> And if you read the community thread .........

I have no objection to you limiting yourself to a web based message system.
I, however, prefer Usenet.
0
Palisade
2/23/2009 1:28:59 AM
On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:03:00 -0500, Jay Somerset
<jay-1941-@hotmail.com> wrote:

[snip]
>Has anyone been able to get this to work?

Got the answers via the Forum.  Here is the complete prescription...

POP server host: pop3.live.com
POP server port:  995
Security Tab:  enable radio button "via direct SSL connect";
                     enable checkbox "disable certificate validation"
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
0
Jay

Pegasus Mail or Pegasus Mail as 'Admin'

Locking up Windows User when accessing outlook exchange server with java mail class / Windows Nutzer gespeert nach dem Versuch auf OutlookExchange Folder zuzugreifen mit der java.mail class
{English} Hello, we have an exchange server here and I am pulling out the messages from the outlook folder to my database. That works fine. But there are some strange things happening. After a couple of times of testing the connection and opening the Store and the Folder, getting the messages, closing the Folder and closing the Store, my windows / outlook user gets locked. And I don't know why!!! Is it possible that i shouldn't have outlook started in the background? Beacause with the java.mail class I open the Folder in READ_WRITE mode that this interfears with outlook? Thx for ...

Configuring windows withiin Pegasus Mail
On Pegasus Mail 4.12a (version of Jun 19 2003) on Windows 2000 Pro, I used to get 3 windows: - list of messages in New Mail folder - list of folders - window onto whatever message was selected in first window Now I only get first two windows. If I unselect save desktop in Tools>Options>Basic Settings then I only get the first window (although ctrl-L gets me the second) and if I select it I get the first two (provided they were showing on my last session). How do I get all three and have them show up when I enter Pegasus? On 22 Dec 2003 08:30:49 -0800, ggrothendieck@v...

Pegasus Mail and Windows administrator privileges
Hi Group I have used Pegasus Mail under Win98 since several years and I'm happy with it. Now I have a new WinXP machine and want to reinstall. I have the following problem: I tried Pegasus v421c. It seems it only works if the user has the Windows administrator privileges (XP Home Edition SP2). Is this the normal behavior ? I am quite surprised with this. Thanks a lot. I am running WinPmail 4.21 with restricted user privileges on Windows 2000 and as a main user with Windows XP Pro without having any problems and changing any settings. I think, it would be most important,...

Set up of Pegasus Mail for Windows-Intranet
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I ama bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sys...

Setting up Pegasus Mail for Windows for intranet use only
Hello, I am trying to set up Pegasus Mail for Windows on a MS Windows based network. The "server" machine or machine used to store the messages is on a Win98SE box. I am a bit confused in the setup of this system and have the following questions. 1. I have set up the Pegasus Mail on the "server" PC with no problems. It starts asking about SMTP and POP3 server. Do I need these? 2. Do I need Mercury? I am setting up a simply email system inhouse with about 5 or 6 users. There is and should be no connection to the outside Internet world through this email sy...

PGP Extension for Pegasus Mail 6.2.7.0 [required for Pegasus Mail 4.5] released
Version 6.2.7.0 / 6-2009 (13.06.2009): ATTENTION: This update is required for the extension to work properly = with Pegasus Mail v4.5! The most important change is a new send option ("all in one message") = which may be selected via the entries beginning with "***" in the encryption dialog. Some minor adjustments to PGP 9.7 - 9.10, a new option for displaying the local time on Pegasus Mail's status bar and a way for synchronizing the system time with a timeserver are included as well. Additionally the following bugs have been fixed amongst others: - E...

How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003?
How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003? We cannot read email by Pegasus in Windows after copy the email folder from Netware Server. Server information: The Mercury (NLM version 1.48) The Mercury (Win32 version 4.01a) ...

Setting up Pegasus Mail for Windows for intranet use only #2
Hello, I continue to have difficulties in setting up Pegasus Mail for use on a Microsoft Windows based network. I initially set up the software on a machine running Windows 98SE. The version I'm installing is 4.41a. It was my understanding that I can share the drive where Pegasus Mail (E:\PMAIL) is installed and simply have other workstations run this copy of the software without installing a separate version on any of the workstations. I do not want to have any Internet e-mail addresses (i.e. mike@mgi.com), but simply users like mike, jo, frank, chris, etc. I could not ...

How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003?
How to convert Pegasus mail from Netware to Windows Server 2003? We cannot read email by Pegasus in Windows after copy the email folder from Netware Server. Server information: The Mercury (NLM version 1.48) The Mercury (Win32 version 4.01a) ...

Pegasus Mail for Windows reading PM Dos version mailboxes
Hello, We are considering going from the DOS based Pegasus Mail (we have version 3.4) to the Windows version of PM. Our mailboxes are currently stored on a Netware 3.12 server. There are about 10-15 mailboxes. Are there any issues that might be involved in converting or using both the DOS and Windows versions simultaneously? Two the two versions use the same mailbox format? TIA Mike McWhinney elja, Inc. On 2 Feb 2006 15:41:18 -0800, eljainc@sbcglobal.net <eljainc@sbcglobal.net> wrote: > stored on a Netware 3.12 server. There are about 10-15 mailboxes. Are > t...

Windows Live Mail
Just for info - when reading the group with Windows Live Mail and an email arrives the current message from the group is lost. I guess everybody hires new programmers and they always make the same mistakes. BobJ On Jan 4, 12:00=A0pm, "RJ" <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote: > Just for info - when reading the group with Windows Live Mail and an emai= l > arrives the current message from the group is lost. =A0I guess everybody = hires > new programmers and they always make the same mistakes. > BobJ I'm an old programmer and still make the same mistakes...

How do I import/transfer old mail folders to Pegasus V4 in Windows XP??
All my correspondence is in my mail folders in an old version of Pegasus. I got a new pc running Windows XP and installed the old hard drive containing all my files as a second drive, but I can't find out how to transfer or import my mail folders into Pegasus V4. Suggestions appreciated. I have recently gone thru the same exercise. Though my older version of Pegasus was not markedly older. I would think twice - or more - about doing this starting with a '3' version of Pegasus for example! In my case, I have Pegasus in C:\Prgram Files & the actual mail data on m...

Windows Live Mail
Just logged into Windows live mail. Saw the following: Upgrade your web browser We recommend that you upgrade your web browser so you can get the most out of Windows Live Hotmail. Upgrading should only take a few minutes. To get started, choose one of the browsers below: * Microsoft Internet Explorer * Mozilla Firefox * Apple Safari If you don’t want to upgrade right now you can still continue to Windows Live Hotmail, but some parts of it may not work and it may not be displayed properly. Ahh, I should upgrade to Mozilla Firefox. How odd; that's what I logged in wi...

Web resources about - Windows Live SMTP access with Pegasus Mail - comp.pegasus-mail.windows

The Windows Blog

Microsoft’s Windows Phone vice president Joe Belfiore explains why he uses an iPhone …
... is not using the device you might expect them to . Latest casualty of the telltale tag is Joe Belfiore , the Microsoft VP who fronts the Windows ...

Cardinals' window of opportunity won't be open long
When the Cardinals finally move past the sting of Saturday's 49-15 loss at Carolina, they will realize how much they achieved this season.

Not a fan of Microsoft Edge? Here's how to block the new browser in Windows 10
Microsoft Edge is deeply integrated in Windows 10 , but while it’s a reasonable browser it still has a long way to go before it even comes close ...

Microsoft’s Windows Phone VP caught tweeting from an iPhone
... Joe Belfiore. Currently the company's Corporate VP of Operating Systems, Belfiore is primarily known for heading up the company's Windows Phone ...

The man in charge of Windows design explains why it doesn't matter that he uses an iPhone
... His official title is "Corporate Vice President, Operating Systems Group" which, broadly, means he is in charge of the design of Windows, specifically ...

With Cortana, Microsoft is “scroogled” in new Windows 10 spyware scare
Cortana, Microsoft's assistant app in Windows 10, is getting even more nosey than before. We're told Redmond will scan your email, in order to ...

Windows Phone boss is caught tweeting from an iPhone
If you had asked me in the 1990s, I’d never have thought I’d one day feel sorry for Microsoft, but right now it’s pretty hard. Two days after ...