"Photo" printers cheaper than "non-photo" printers?

I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the most
part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers.  Why?
Monica

0
Monica

"Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
> I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the
most
> part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers.  Why?

I'm doing the same because I already have an Epson 2100 for printing photos.

I think the reason for this strange price difference is because they are
aimed at office use rather than home use. Check the "duty cycle" figures in
the specs. This is the number of pages per month the printer is designed to
handle (a measure of how rugged it is).

0
CWatters
5/5/2005 1:32:46 PM

Monica wrote:

>I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the most
>part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers.  Why?
>Monica

Because they are usually business printers and made for speed with
reasonable quality.  The HP 1200 is one of the models out there.

0
measekite
5/5/2005 2:37:19 PM
There are a few reasons non-photo printers are more costly at original
acquisition.

1) as mentioned they are usually designed for more durability, ease of
use, etc, because they will be moving a LOT more paper through them.
Most of the printing will be text or small graphics, meaning paper is
flying through.  Also, speed is more of an issue with businesses.  But
the main reason, is because the ink sales are considered in the return
the company gets.

Nonfat printers use less ink, even on photos than photo printers do,
because of the light dye load inks used (and used and used) in the photo
printers, and also, the non-photo printer may see a lot more text and
small graphic printing, again, that doesn't burn through nearly as much
ink as photo images and all the tests that often accompany them.

Lastly, the company hopes to sell specialty paper to the photo image
printer owner, while the business user often just needs cheap bond,
again no money being regenerated that way.

Art

CWatters wrote:

> "Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message
>
>>I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the
>
> most
>
>>part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers.  Why?
>

> I'm doing the same because I already have an Epson 2100 for printing photos.
>
> I think the reason for this strange price difference is because they are
> aimed at office use rather than home use. Check the "duty cycle" figures in
> the specs. This is the number of pages per month the printer is designed to
> handle (a measure of how rugged it is).

0
Arthur
5/6/2005 10:23:33 AM
Monica wrote:

> I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the most
> part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers.  Why?
> Monica

    Since when?
    Most photo printers (6 colors or more) are at least $50-75 even on
clearance, the non-photo printers (4 colors or less) can go all the way
down to free after rebate (or typically, $20-30).
    www.fatwallet.com/c/18/
    www.shopper.com

    With laser printers (eg. Samusung recently) on sale at $79, there's
the price drop across the board as China starts making all of these items.

    It's gotten to the point, honestly, where it's buy & replace the
printer when the toner/ink runs out!

    (eg. print through the 3000+pages on the Samsung laser, it's cheaper
to buy a new printer than the toner!)

    (eg. buy a new inkjet for $20-50, and it's cheaper to buy a new
printer for the same price than a set of cartridges!)
0
David

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"out" and "in out"

"my" and "our"

"or" and "and"

about "++" and "--"

why "::", not "."

hobbicolors.com review: 4 color printer = "hot", 6 color printer = "not"
I haven't posted for a while. I assume that all the main characters are still here. Measekite, Frank, Burt, Dan G, a teacher, a retired HP employee, TJ, Talyisian and etc. Well about a year ago I posted that I tested an i960 canon printer (6 color printer) with hobbicolor ink. I was disappointed with the results. The photos it printed was not acceptable. However, a few months later, the same ink was tested on a 4 color canon printer. Wow! It printed incredible. I'd say it was OEM quality. That was without any software modification. Actually it was tested by hooking...

"In" "Out" and "Trash"

A problem about "[ ]" "( )" "="

"best" photo printer
hi im looking to buy best quality photo printer - i know there is no such thing as the BEST .. here is what im looking for a priter to provide - broderless prints - size upto 8x10 is okay - inexpensive print cartridges - price in the range of $200 thanks in advance "arri" <photonet02@gmail.com> wrote in message news:27f6a40e-9775-4330-af18-7ad53afe1272@r24g2000yqd.googlegroups.com... > > > hi > im looking to buy best quality photo printer - i know there is no such > thing as the BEST .. here is what im looking for a priter to provide...

Hello Partners, How are you ? Please find the requirement below. Location : NY Duration : 8 mnths Rate :Open Job description: Java/J2EE Web Service Developer =B7 (4+ years of application development experience in Java/J2EE and Web service technologies. =B7 Experience with spring & Hibernate. =B7 Experience with J2EE Application Server (preferably Web logic). =B7 Preferable Aqua logic DSP Experience =B7 Preferable Sonic ESB Composite Service experience Experience w...

Printer Object: How to print "portrait" and "landscape" on the same page?
Hi, hope there's a simple solution to this. If so, I'd appreciate a short hint. I'm trying to find out how to change the printing directions for special lines. Simple example: I need to print a line from left to right and another line from bottom to top on the same page. It's supposed to look like this page (imagine the bottom to top letters to be turned 90=B0 to the left) ############################# # # # d # # l # # r # # o # # w ...

Which Printer Is Pick Of The Crop "The Best" In Your Opinion My" Shortlist"
Which Printer Is Pick Of The Crop "The Best" In Your Opinion My" Shortlist" I have compiled a Shortlist of Printers I am looking for a Printer that does Not have Problems with Chipping or that readily accepts a Chip Resetter,No Software Problems Low running costs in black & white printing and produces good quality inkjet pictures from the Internet? Am I expecting too much there are so many conflicting viewpoints when it comes to buying an InkJet Printer Are Continous Reinking Systems worth the money? Thanks Heidy (1) Canon Pixma IP 4200...

Question about "sprintf" "@" "do for"

Gary Sokolich """"""

"for" inside "for"
dear community, there is no need to mention that i'm far from beeing a sh-professional. in a male file i am trying to do two things to all files in defined directories. < === snip =============================================== > @for FILE in $(TEMPLATES); do \ @for DIR_NAME in $(DIRS); do \ FILE_BASENAME=`basename $$FILE`; \ DIR_NAME=`dirname $$FILE`; \ mkdir -p $(DIRNAME); \ cat $$FILE \ | perl -pe "s%\@INSTALL_URL\@%$(INSTALL_URL)%g" \ > $(INSTALL_PATH)/$$FILE_BASENAME; \ done; done; < === snip ========================...

Web resources about - "Photo" printers cheaper than "non-photo" printers? - comp.periphs.printers