2 printers: HP 7960xi vs Epson R200

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a mainly 4x6 photo printer (occasional bigger ones)
for my dad.  The two choices here are very good priced, but I need some
opinion.  Here in Canada, currently the price for R200 is $125 with $25
rebate, versus HP7960 which is $129 (online only), both from Bestbuy.
One question I have is Bestbuy posted the HP as "HP7960XI" but the
spec. just mentioned it is HP7960, which I suspect it is just that.
The thing is that HP7960 appears online at least for US$130, but this
offer is CAN$129!!!  I'm puzzled as both printer have similar quality,
the HP has LCD and standalone mode.

How about price per print?  Any other opinion?  On the price front I'm
very confused on why is the HP so 'cheap'?  Any 'catch' on this
printer???  HP has LCD and Epson doesn't.  CNet customer review for
R200 is 6.7 and HP is 7.4.  Review are fair on both.

BTW, I don't need the CD/DVD printing function on the R200, I consider
it because it's one of the cheapest/quality ones today and the rebate.

Any comments?

Regards,
Ernest

HP 7960xi:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10064637&catid=21198&PCName=Printers_Photos_Scrapbooking&logon=&langid=EN#

0
ernest

>  The thing is that HP7960 appears online at least for US$130, but this
> offer is CAN$129!!!  I'm puzzled as both printer have similar quality,
> the HP has LCD and standalone mode.

Strictly speaking the cheaper printers have a higher cost for the ink.
For example the HP #56 goes for USD$20 @ 450p yield.  The color #57 USD
$35 @ 400p yield.  Not horrid but a HP 8150 for example takes the #96
with a 800p yield @ $30.  There are other models that take the #96 but
odds are you'd spend close to CAD$200 from the little i've seen which
might be a better deal if you print more than a couple reams a year.

The r200 I wasn't happy with, I was so unhappy with it I bought a spair
printer while it was in for service and I haven't even used the
replacement.  The head clogs easily even with OEM ink.  I believe it's
an issue with the head knocking the gasket out of place.  Others have
enjoyed more luck with it.  But to joe consumer the printer wastes much
ink, and when the diaper is reported as being full it pretty much has
to be taken into service.  More tech savey people can download the css
utility, but diaper replacement from what i'm told requires breaking
the plastic and buying a new shell.  You can route the waste ink into a
cup if you so desire, but average joe user is stuck with a printer that
won't print after a short period of time after the warranty expires.
Very nice photo printer though.

There were some good deals at I believe it was staples in Canada for
the Canon IP4000.  The price is lowish due to the fact that there is a
new model out, the ip4200 with higher resolution and a smaller drop.
Faster dry time than HP typicaly speaking but not so good resistant
against faiding.   Anyhow a black costs $16.98 canadian (bci-3e) vs the
HP #56 for the HP7960 which costs $28.86 canadian.  Identical yields
and the text printing is excelent on the ip4000, and photo printing
isn't too shabby either.

http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?webid=581957&AffixedCode=WW

0
zakezuke
10/28/2005 12:55:17 AM
CANON IP4200

ernest wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm trying to get a mainly 4x6 photo printer (occasional bigger ones)
>for my dad.  The two choices here are very good priced, but I need some
>opinion.  Here in Canada, currently the price for R200 is $125 with $25
>rebate, versus HP7960 which is $129 (online only), both from Bestbuy.
>One question I have is Bestbuy posted the HP as "HP7960XI" but the
>spec. just mentioned it is HP7960, which I suspect it is just that.
>The thing is that HP7960 appears online at least for US$130, but this
>offer is CAN$129!!!  I'm puzzled as both printer have similar quality,
>the HP has LCD and standalone mode.
>
>How about price per print?  Any other opinion?  On the price front I'm
>very confused on why is the HP so 'cheap'?  Any 'catch' on this
>printer???  HP has LCD and Epson doesn't.  CNet customer review for
>R200 is 6.7 and HP is 7.4.  Review are fair on both.
>
>BTW, I don't need the CD/DVD printing function on the R200, I consider
>it because it's one of the cheapest/quality ones today and the rebate.
>
>Any comments?
>
>Regards,
>Ernest
>
>HP 7960xi:
>http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10064637&catid=21198&PCName=Printers_Photos_Scrapbooking&logon=&langid=EN#

0
measekite
10/29/2005 12:50:52 AM

zakezuke wrote:

>> The thing is that HP7960 appears online at least for US$130, but this
>>offer is CAN$129!!!  I'm puzzled as both printer have similar quality,
>>the HP has LCD and standalone mode.
>>

>Strictly speaking the cheaper printers have a higher cost for the ink.

YOU ARE TOTALLY FULL OF SHIT.  AND LONG WINDED SHIT AT THAT.