anyone using the HP 9180 printer?

I've always assumed that when I'm ready to get a "real" photoprinter,
it was going to be the Epson 2400, because I would want pigment-based
inks, because B3 size is good enough for me, and because I can't spend
thousands of (dollars, pounds, euros) on a printer.  I'm not a
professional, and I can't spend more on a printer than on a camera
body!

But I've just discovered the HP 9180.  Seems to be a bit cheaper than
the Epson, and also uses pigment inks.

Am I correct that Canon's equivalent printer is the iPF 9500, which
costs almost $2000.

Has anyone done a three-way comparison of these pigment-based
printers.  I guess these are all the "entry level" models.

On a related topic, is Epson going to replace the 2400 any time soon?
Say within the next six months?

-AH
0
Andrew

On Oct 10, 1:10 am, Andrew Hamilton <Ahamilton90...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've always assumed that when I'm ready to get a "real" photoprinter,
> it was going to be the Epson 2400, because I would want pigment-based
> inks, because B3 size is good enough for me, and because I can't spend
> thousands of (dollars, pounds, euros) on a printer.  I'm not a
> professional, and I can't spend more on a printer than on a camera
> body!
>
> But I've just discovered the HP 9180.  Seems to be a bit cheaper than
> the Epson, and also uses pigment inks.
>
> Am I correct that Canon's equivalent printer is the iPF 9500, which
> costs almost $2000.
>
> Has anyone done a three-way comparison of these pigment-based
> printers.  I guess these are all the "entry level" models.
>
> On a related topic, is Epson going to replace the 2400 any time soon?
> Say within the next six months?
>
> -AH

Don't know where you are located but the Canon Pro 9500, the Canon 13
inch printer goes for $850 or so in the US, about the same as the
Epson 2400, still $200 more than the HP B9180. As a home printer the
B9180 should be very good, color is excellent using profiles, B&W is
OK. The HP uses 2 black inks at any time, 3 total on the printer,
while the Epson uses 3 at any time, 4 total with the printer.
Therefore I'd give a B&W edge to the Epson, though the HP does
reasonably well. The HP is a well built printer, HP tech support has
been very good, I have been using one for 7 months at work, and have
ordered another for a satellite office. I do feel the 17 inch printers
are better buys, at higher prices. The Epson 3800 is especially a good
value, the Canon iPF 5000 is discontinued but now being sold for
rediculously low prices (huge industrial printer). The Canon iPF 5100
is the replacement that is being sold for around $2K. These 3 printers
are less expensive to run, generally faster than their 13 inch
siblings.
Yes the B9180 is a good printer.

Tom

0
tomm42
10/10/2007 8:34:14 PM
Andrew Hamilton wrote:
> I've always assumed that when I'm ready to get a "real" photoprinter,
> it was going to be the Epson 2400, because I would want pigment-based
> inks, because B3 size is good enough for me, and because I can't spend
> thousands of (dollars, pounds, euros) on a printer.  I'm not a
> professional, and I can't spend more on a printer than on a camera
> body!
>
> But I've just discovered the HP 9180.  Seems to be a bit cheaper than
> the Epson, and also uses pigment inks.
>
> Am I correct that Canon's equivalent printer is the iPF 9500, which
> costs almost $2000.
>
> Has anyone done a three-way comparison of these pigment-based
> printers.  I guess these are all the "entry level" models.
>
> On a related topic, is Epson going to replace the 2400 any time soon?
> Say within the next six months?

Look at photo-i.co.uk site for photo printer dedicated forums.

Yes, I expect that Epson will announce a replacement to the
2400 soon.  They just announced the R1900, replacement to
the R1800 (looks much the same chassis, but with revised
Ultrachrome Gloss II ink set), and have updated the K3
inkset in new pro series printers. I expect that like the
R1800/2400 shared design, the R2480 (my guess at name) will
share the R1900 chassis, but with similar paper feed
differences.
The advances aren't likely to offer a big difference in
print quality (all printers incl. the B9180, Canon pixma
pros etc are extremely good), so expect major advances to be
in speed and user-friendliness.
The one area of user unfriendliness that won't change is
cost of ink.  All three (HP/Epson/Canon) are equally greedy
on this.
0
frederick
10/11/2007 6:04:11 AM
"Andrew Hamilton" <Ahamilton90900@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've always assumed that when I'm ready to get a "real" photoprinter,
> it was going to be the Epson 2400, because I would want pigment-based
[snip]

> But I've just discovered the HP 9180.  Seems to be a bit cheaper than
> the Epson, and also uses pigment inks.
>
> Am I correct that Canon's equivalent printer is the iPF 9500, which
> costs almost $2000.
>
> Has anyone done a three-way comparison of these pigment-based
> printers.  I guess these are all the "entry level" models.

http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/printers/Pigs/page_1.html has a rather
extensive comparative review of all three printers.  There is also a Yahoo
group for the HP B9180 at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hp9100Series/
with more than a thousand members.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob

Anyone use HP CP1518 printer?
If so did you connect it via USB or ethernet? What is your evaluation of this printer on a Linux system? I have one on order. John Culleton ...

Has anyone used a HP printer with an ADF?
I'm considering buying an Office Jet 6210. It says it's got an ADF. What I want: to be able to scan in documents unattended. I called them up and asked them to confirm that the 6210 did this. They confirmed that it does scan in autoamitcally 23 pages per minute. I was suspicious about this as the person who I was speaking to was looking at a manual and reading from it. I also emailed them before that and got a reply that gave me a one line quote from the product description (but didn't answer my question!). Can someone confirm: 1. Can I scan in several documents...

Printer addendum for HP printer

Anyone using HP LJ 3030 with Wlan and printer server?
We're looking at using the HP LaserJet 3030 for a home office all-in-one printer, fax and scanner with one Mac and one Windows XP. The network would be a WLAN and a HP print server with the USB connection to the HP3030. Is this a reasonable choice? Is anyone using all the functions? In article <aus-8792A7.06120315102004@news.cis.dfn.de>, "Hans M. Aus" <aus@vim.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote: > We're looking at using the HP LaserJet 3030 for a home office all-in-one > printer, fax and scanner with one Mac and one Windows XP. The network > would be a WLAN...

HP printer vs. Canon printer

HP 960 C Deskjet printer
A puzzling issue - I have paviliion running win xp sp2 (about 4 years old) and have a minor glitch when I print a document from powerpoint 2003. I was able to find a newer driver (from late 2001) and tried to install it. But the printer driver assistant "wants to close" and send error message to microsoft. I have tried several times to do this update but it fails. I tried uninstalling the software from add/remove programs but nothing happens when I try to do that. HP support had me modify the registry and remove a subfolder relating to this printer, but that also did not hel...

using the printer object, how do I tell what my default printer is
I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings so I'm thinking this will set the prt object to my default printer Dim prt As Printer Set prt = Application.Printers(0) but it doesn't and application.printers.count correct shows that I have eight possible printers so I could cycle through them if there was a prt property for 'default printer' but I can't find one is there a way to do this ? On Nov 9, 5:19=A0pm, Roger <lesperan...@natpro.com> wrote: > I want to set the margins on a report to specific settings > so I'm thinking this will...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server.
I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and Windows 2000. Both drivers refuse to run. If anyone have successfully make the connection, please help!!! Ching-yeh Tzseng tzseng wrote: > I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP > OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer > server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and > Windows 2000. Both driver...

Printer Ink

HP PSC 1600 Printer sets to default printer
I have a HP PSC 1600 printer that I use at home and for some reason this printer also is set to be my default printer. When I try to change another printer to be my default printer, the other printer will show as being the new default printer, but when I go home again and connect to the HP PSC 1600, this printer HP PSC 1600 again takes over as the default printer. Is there a way for the HP PSC 1600 printer not to take control of being my default printer? ...

Anyone own an HP 2300 printer?
I just ordered a 2300-D (duplex) this week, and am eagerly awaiting it... it'll be my first laser-printer. I'm finding it tough to find a review on it, though. Does anybody here have one? Are they very good? Any problems? - Tim -- I have the HP 2200 and it is great. The only thing I had to do was add memory. P "Spammay Blockay" <SPAMBLOCKER@BLOCKEDTOAVOIDSPAM.com> wrote in message news:bqo879$cm8$1@bolt.sonic.net... > I just ordered a 2300-D (duplex) this week, and am eagerly > awaiting it... it'll be my first laser-printer. &g...

Using HP IIIp printer
I am in the process of replacing my DeckJet 500 with a HP IIIp LaserJet. I have most of the code changes working but I have not been able to do subscript and superscript printing. The codes in ApplWorks 5.1 that work on the Deskjet have no response on the Laserjet. The manual tells how to position the cursor but it applies only positioning at any location, not for changing relative position. Is this information in the Technical Reference Manual? I only have the manuals that came with the printer. I have not been able to find the DeskJet codes in the DeskJet manual so they must be available els...

USING HP 5280 PRINTER
MY MAC HAS THE OS 10.5.8. WILL THE HP 7280 PRINTER WORK WITH THIS SYSTEM In article <d9f614c1-7776-474a-a1b0-b3885aca0913@r40g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, researcher <malibu.ron@verizon.net> wrote: > MY MAC HAS THE OS 10.5.8. WILL THE HP 7280 PRINTER WORK WITH THIS > SYSTEM The Caps Lock key is near the middle of the far left column of keys. -- chrispam1@frontier.com is a filtered spam magnet. Email replies WILL be lost. Try <http://public.xdi.org/=chris.schram> instead. In article <chrispam1-17D2C3.19574831082011@newsfeed.aioe.org>, Chris Schram <chri...

Web resources about - anyone using the HP 9180 printer? - comp.periphs.printers

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The 3D printer carving out a new curriculum
With Australia's technical expertise slowly whittling away, the team behind this gadget wants to take schools back to the basics of manufacturing ...

ASIC investigating company after inventor of world's largest 3D printer left out of pocket
... Australian Securities and Investments Commission investigates the administration of a company that tried to sell the world's largest 3D printer. ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $45, 9′ MFi Lightning Cable $6, iPhone 6/s Plus Leather Folio ...
... Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Daily Deals: Brother Monochrome Laser Printer ...

Doro PDF printer adds color conversion, page rotation controls
Lightweight virtual PDF printer Doro has been updated with new color conversion and page rotation settings. If the default "UseDeviceIndependentColor" ...