B&W only printers

Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet.  We're trying to get him
to chill.

His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc) from web
pages, e-mailed statements.

He is determined not to have color.

So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?

--sharp text/lines
--long lasting inks (7 years or more).
--reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)

Thanks,
Alan.

Alan

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:44:18 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet.  We're trying to get him
>to chill.
>
>His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc) from web
>pages, e-mailed statements.
>
>He is determined not to have color.
>
>So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
>
>--sharp text/lines
>--long lasting inks (7 years or more).
>--reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
>

>Thanks,
>Alan.

Look for a rebuilt/refurbed HPIII Laser printer.  Bullet Proof.  I
have documents printed on my old HPIII from 1990 and they are still
clear & black.  I had to scrap it last year after it had produced in
excess of 400,000 printed pages in 13 years.

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message

> Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet.  We're trying to
> get him to chill.
>
> His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
> from web pages, e-mailed statements.
>
> He is determined not to have color.
>
> So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
>
> --sharp text/lines
> --long lasting inks (7 years or more).
> --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
>

> Thanks,
> Alan.

What is YOUR problem? An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser printer
is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get
color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,
professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands, etc.)
are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.

0
leo
10/14/2004 3:35:49 AM
"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> schreef in bericht
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet.  We're trying to
> > get him to chill.
> >
> > His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
> > from web pages, e-mailed statements.
> >
> > He is determined not to have color.
> >
> > So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
> >
> > --sharp text/lines
> > --long lasting inks (7 years or more).
> > --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Alan.
>
> What is YOUR problem? An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser
printer
> is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get
> color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,
> professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands,
etc.)
> are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.

And what are the costs of colour toner? Compared with B&W?

--
regards,

|\  /|
| \/ |@rk
 \../
  \/os

mccm dot vos at hccnet dot nl
URL     http://home.hccnet.nl/mccm.vos/

ICQ     326628

0
Linea
10/14/2004 12:08:38 PM
"leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:<pumbd.3724$SZ5.3621@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet.  We're trying to
> > get him to chill.
> >
> > His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
> > from web pages, e-mailed statements.
> >
> > He is determined not to have color.
> >
> > So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
> >
> > --sharp text/lines
> > --long lasting inks (7 years or more).
> > --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Alan.
>
> What is YOUR problem?

What is your problem that you have to use all caps?

> An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser printer
> is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get

The problem with laser printers is initial cost.  The cost per text
page is arguably lower for laser, but the intitial outlay is much
higher.  Given the number of pages per month he is printing, it would
take a long time to recover the difference by using the laser printer.
 An HP or Canon ink-jet/bubble can be had for under $100 (CDN) and
comes with a B&W cart (color too, but he won't use that).  Additional
carts are about CAD $20 - $30 ... at his rate of use it would take him
over a year per cart.

Laser printers here begin at about $300 (CDN).  Carts, over $100.  The
cost per page is lower, but he won't recover the difference for well
over 10 years at his rate of usage.

> color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,

I think I made it clear that he is interested in B&W only.

> professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands, etc.)
> are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.

I have ink jet for color photography and I've never had a smudge after
drying.  Perhaps because I'm careful, but so it is the case with all
my photography prints, negatives and slides.

Alan.
0
alan1browne
10/14/2004 5:27:52 PM
What abt this model?

Cost is $160 USD

http://tinyurl.com/7xudg
0
me
10/15/2004 1:07:15 AM
On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:14:27 -0400, E. Barry Bruyea <summers@gone.ca>
dijo:

>Look for a rebuilt/refurbed HPIII Laser printer.  Bullet Proof.  I
>have documents printed on my old HPIII from 1990 and they are still
>clear & black.  I had to scrap it last year after it had produced in
>excess of 400,000 printed pages in 13 years.

The III is only 300 dpi. It will do, but you can get a rebuilt 4M+ for
about the same. The 4M+ is 12 pages per minute, has genuine Adobe
PostScript, and can take an optional duplexer. The 4+ is the same
thing without the PostScript SIMM. Toner carts for the 4 series are
dirt cheap. I got four remanufactured ones for a friend in an eBay
auction for $10 each including shipping, each good for about 5,000
pages. All the 4 series are 600 dpi with HP's resolution enhancement
technology.

You could also look at a 4 or 4M instead of the 4+ and 4M+. They are
essentially the same, but the + series is 12 ppm and the 4 series is
only 8 ppm, and the 4 series can't take a duplexer.

Either the 4(M) or 4(M)+ is indestructible. My friend's 4M+ has over a
million copies on it. You just need to get a maintenance kit every
couple hundred thousand copies. Otherwise, keep it full of toner and
paper and it will run forever.

Look for refurbished ones on eBay. HP sold zillions of these units, so
they will be around for a long time.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.
0
"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message

> Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet.  We're trying to
get him
> to chill.
>
> His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
from web
> pages, e-mailed statements.

Amazed his investments never go into the red. Please let me know how he does
it asap :-)

0
CWatters
10/15/2004 9:02:27 AM
Most color inkjet printers will end up draining there color cartridges
during cleaning cycles, even if they are not used for printing, and many
will not print once the color cartridges are empty.

I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
bit.  I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).

If he goes for one, do ask about how many prints (at 5% coverage
usually) the printer will output with the first cartridge.

Some companies provide partially filled "starter cartridges" with the
printer at purchase.

Art

Alan Browne wrote:

> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message news:<pumbd.3724$SZ5.3621@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>
>>"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>>
>>>Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet.  We're trying to
>>>get him to chill.
>>>
>>>His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
>>>from web pages, e-mailed statements.
>>>
>>>He is determined not to have color.
>>>
>>>So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
>>>
>>>--sharp text/lines
>>>--long lasting inks (7 years or more).
>>>--reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
>>>

>>>Thanks,
>>>Alan.
>>
>>What is YOUR problem?
>

> What is your problem that you have to use all caps?
>

>>An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser printer
>>is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get
>

> The problem with laser printers is initial cost.  The cost per text
> page is arguably lower for laser, but the intitial outlay is much
> higher.  Given the number of pages per month he is printing, it would
> take a long time to recover the difference by using the laser printer.
>  An HP or Canon ink-jet/bubble can be had for under $100 (CDN) and
> comes with a B&W cart (color too, but he won't use that).  Additional
> carts are about CAD $20 - $30 ... at his rate of use it would take him
> over a year per cart.
>
> Laser printers here begin at about $300 (CDN).  Carts, over $100.  The
> cost per page is lower, but he won't recover the difference for well
> over 10 years at his rate of usage.
>

>>color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,
>

> I think I made it clear that he is interested in B&W only.
>

>>professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands, etc.)
>>are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.
>

> I have ink jet for color photography and I've never had a smudge after
> drying.  Perhaps because I'm careful, but so it is the case with all
> my photography prints, negatives and slides.
>
> Alan.

0
Arthur
10/15/2004 11:31:54 AM
Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Most color inkjet printers will end up draining there color cartridges
> during cleaning cycles, even if they are not used for printing, and many
> will not print once the color cartridges are empty.

	My printer will print B&W when the color cart is empty or removed, no prob.
Usually have to be sure that B&W only is selected in the printer setup for the
particular job.

> I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
> bit.  I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).

	Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).

> If he goes for one, do ask about how many prints (at 5% coverage
> usually) the printer will output with the first cartridge.

	Aware of this, thanks.

> Some companies provide partially filled "starter cartridges" with the
> printer at purchase.

	Thanks, good point.

Alan
10/15/2004 2:26:53 PM
Barry/Marek:  Thanks.

Marek Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:14:27 -0400, E. Barry Bruyea <summers@gone.ca>
> dijo:
>

>>Look for a rebuilt/refurbed HPIII Laser printer.  Bullet Proof.  I
>>have documents printed on my old HPIII from 1990 and they are still
>>clear & black.  I had to scrap it last year after it had produced in
>>excess of 400,000 printed pages in 13 years.
>

> The III is only 300 dpi. It will do, but you can get a rebuilt 4M+ for
> about the same. The 4M+ is 12 pages per minute, has genuine Adobe
<snipped>
0
Alan
10/15/2004 2:30:31 PM
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> Most color inkjet printers will end up draining there color cartridges
>> during cleaning cycles, even if they are not used for printing, and many
>> will not print once the color cartridges are empty.
>
> My printer will print B&W when the color cart is empty or removed, no prob.
> Usually have to be sure that B&W only is selected in the printer setup for
> the particular job.

DeskJet's since the DeskJet 5550 will allow printing with only a black (or a
color, or both) cartridge installed.

Regards,

Bob
10/16/2004 5:08:13 AM

Alan Browne wrote:

> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>
>> I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
>> bit.  I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).
>

>     Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).

You need to look a bit harder ;-).  Just this week a computer chain is
offering a 600 dpi Lexmark (also sold under the Samsung label, with more
memory as I recall) for $199, and they throw in a 128 meg USB jump drive
for 99 cents.  Prices are coming down on laser printers, and like most
others they get you on the consumables (in this case toner cartridges) now.

Art

0
Arthur
10/16/2004 8:38:42 AM
On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:38:42 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote:

>Alan Browne wrote:
>
>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>
>>> I also live in Canada, and laser printer prices have dropped quite a
>>> bit.  I see lower end light-duty models on sale for about $175 (600 dpi).
>>

>>     Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).
>
>You need to look a bit harder ;-).  Just this week a computer chain is
>offering a 600 dpi Lexmark (also sold under the Samsung label, with more
>memory as I recall) for $199, and they throw in a 128 meg USB jump drive
>for 99 cents.  Prices are coming down on laser printers, and like most
>others they get you on the consumables (in this case toner cartridges) now.

That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.

 --

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com
Hecate (hecate@newsguy.com) writes:
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:38:42 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Alan Browne wrote:

>>>     Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).
>>
>>You need to look a bit harder ;-).  Just this week a computer chain is
>>offering a 600 dpi Lexmark (also sold under the Samsung label, with more
>>memory as I recall) for $199, and they throw in a 128 meg USB jump drive
>>for 99 cents.  Prices are coming down on laser printers, and like most
>>others they get you on the consumables (in this case toner cartridges) now.
>>
> That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.

My Lexmark E210 is MADE by Samsung (the ML 1210 was still on their web
page) not the other way round.  The problem is that you have to buy a
LEXMARK replacement cartridge, but they are still sold in at least one
Michigan Office Depot store.  Supplies for rebranded pritners can be iffy.

Lexmark has a reputation for selling overpriced ink/toner and I'd agree
with that.  I bought a SAMSUNG ML 1740 instead of another E210 cartridge,
but I don't want to give the impression that I'd displeased with the
E210/ML1210 for basic text and graphics.  The E210 will remain in use with
another computer and works fine.  If you want superior monchrome grahics
you will hve to pay more, but for e-mail it's a great buy, so if you arfe
looking at a Samsung ML 1740/1750, I think you'd be happy with
the after-rebate price. (I paid $85 US.)

Brendan

ck183
10/17/2004 3:24:35 AM
"Alan Browne" <alan1browne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "leo" <someone@somewhere.net> wrote in message
>> "Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Girlfriend's father is about to splurge on a laser jet.  We're trying
>> > get him to chill.
>> >
>> > His need is to print statements and records (banking, investments, etc)
>> > from web pages, e-mailed statements.
>> >
>> > He is determined not to have color.
>> >
>> > So, what represents the best value in the low price range of printers?
>> >
>> > --sharp text/lines
>> > --long lasting inks (7 years or more).
>> > --reasonable speed (a few pages per minute)
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> > Alan.
>>
>> What is YOUR problem?
>
> What is your problem that you have to use all caps?
>
>> An Ink-jet? If he's not printing photos, laser printer
>> is the perfect choice. If you can shell out $250 more, you could even get
>
> The problem with laser printers is initial cost.  The cost per text
> page is arguably lower for laser, but the intitial outlay is much
> higher.  Given the number of pages per month he is printing, it would
> take a long time to recover the difference by using the laser printer.
> An HP or Canon ink-jet/bubble can be had for under $100 (CDN) and
> comes with a B&W cart (color too, but he won't use that).  Additional
> carts are about CAD $20 - $30 ... at his rate of use it would take him
> over a year per cart.
>
> Laser printers here begin at about $300 (CDN).  Carts, over $100.  The
> cost per page is lower, but he won't recover the difference for well
> over 10 years at his rate of usage.
>
>> color laser printers. Of course, it's not photo quality but nevertheless,
>
> I think I made it clear that he is interested in B&W only.
>
>> professional looking text and no worry of smudge (rain, sweaty hands,
>> etc.)
>> are my reason for having a (color) laser printer.
>
> I have ink jet for color photography and I've never had a smudge after
> drying.  Perhaps because I'm careful, but so it is the case with all
> my photography prints, negatives and slides.
>
> Alan.

I mean printing envelopes, etc. in plain paper - not using coated paper. Low
end lasers aren't ready for photographs anyhow. For his purpose, nothing can
beat b/w laser in terms of long-term cost and maintenance.

0
leo
10/17/2004 7:55:04 PM
Actually, it's probably made by Samsung, but it probably is also left
with Lexmark drivers, which might be just as bad ;-)  However, the
Samsung version is also available, often for less.

Art

Hecate wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:38:42 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Alan Browne wrote:

>>>    Lowest I've seen is $300 (not that I've looked very hard).
>>
>>You need to look a bit harder ;-).  Just this week a computer chain is
>>offering a 600 dpi Lexmark (also sold under the Samsung label, with more
>>memory as I recall) for $199, and they throw in a 128 meg USB jump drive
>>for 99 cents.  Prices are coming down on laser printers, and like most
>>others they get you on the consumables (in this case toner cartridges) now.
>>

> That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.
>
>  --
>
> Hecate - The Real One
> Hecate@newsguy.com
> veni, vidi, reliqui

0
Arthur
10/18/2004 8:41:15 AM
>That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.

Are all Samsung printers made by Lexmark?
0
me
10/18/2004 1:54:08 PM
 (me@privacy.net) writes:
>>That has one big disadvantage - it's made by Lexmark.
>
> Are all Samsung printers made by Lexmark?

The problem with those who were scared by a Lexmark as a small child is
that they see all things through phobic glasses.

Lexmark bought Samsung units and put their name on them, just as Dell buys
Lexmark inkjets and puts a Dell nameplate on them.  In neither case are
the results a scourge on the face of the earth, despite what dedicated
Lexmark nay-sayers would have you believe.

Each brand, including Lexmark, has strong and weak points. I happen to be
a happy Lexmark inkjet customer, having bought a new one each time I
upgraded to a new computer.  "me" got bit by one way back when and hasn't
gotten over it.  One of the reasons I've stuck with Lexmark is that there
are relatively few complaints in this news group, unlike Epson, which has
fanatically devoted customers despite chronic and deadly head-clogging
problems.  Those are inkjets, of course, so you can't carry experiences
over to lasers, in which Lexmark specializes.  Apparently not having a
low-end laser they re-branded a Samsung ML 1210 that has provided sterling
light-duty service for me.  So I've moved onto the Samsung ML 1740, with
which I hope I will have similar good things to say.  This is a roundabout
way of saying ignore the naysayers and judge for yourself.  You can spend
a little or a lot on a laser, depending you your needs, and shouldn't
write off this or that "brand" until you've looked for things, good and
bad, said about it.

Brendan

ck183

B&W Photo Printer
Hello- I'm just bought & returned an HP 7960 PhotoSmart Printer soley because of the way it guzzled ink. Unfortunately, it produced excellent black & white photos, as well as color. I was about to purchase the Canon i900D, until I read about how a professional photographer said in a review that you have to adjust the B&W prints of the i900D by adding a little green to take away the other color that shows up. So, it looks as though I'm just going to have to wait until Canon comes out with perhaps additional inks like shades of gray, etc. Anyway, I've thought abo...

photo B&W printer
Dear all, I'm looking for a "top quality" photo B&W printer. The only solution seems to use an standard Epson "photo" printer with MIS B&W quadricrome ink This is a special cartridges filled with 4 different gray ink. (25%, 50%, 75%, 100% black). Any other solution? Many years ago, I used a similar solution, but the printer used a solid ink (similar to a 'soap') but I'm not able to find a similar printer in the market. Thanks Luca Moreschi P.S: sorry for my bad English On 4 May 2006 03:14:36 -0700, luca.moreschi@siemens.com wrote: ...

Best printer for B&W
I want to purchase an "affordable" printer strictly for B&W photo printing and am not certain whether pigment-based printers such at Epson's C84 or dye-based printers such as Canon's i860 would be best for that purpose. I like the concept of pigment inks because of their stability, but have heard they have terrible problems with metamerism. I usually print in tritones on my HP P1000 which I have found to be less prone to metamerism than prints made just from black ink. Has anyone had any experience with these printers in B&W? Thanks, JackM I ran some ...

Which B&W laser printer?
Hello everyone, Currently I am looking to upgrade from my current machine (see .sig) to a Sawtooth or Mystic G4 and at the same time to replace my Epson Stylus Photo 700 with a black-and-white laser printer. The laser has to have the following: - min. 600 * 600 (dpi), - support for/by MacOS 8.1 to 10.5 and - Ethernet connection (preferably UTP). Laser all-in-ones with flat-bed fax (min. speed 14k4) would also be considered. I look forward to hearing of your experience -- the good, the bad and the ugly -- directly or (preferably) on this NG :-). Yours sincerely, -- ...

looking for B&W inkjet printer
I am looking for, but not finding, a plain inkjet printer... this will be a NEW printer, which uses one black ink cartridge only, with no provision for color cartridges or color printing, and just a printer - not a scanner or fax or whatever. In the past Ive used the HP Deskjet (earliest deskjet)... also, I had a Canon BJ-1 or BJ-10 which used just one black ink cartridge... however, when I look today, everything is either color, which somehow allows B&W printing, or it is a laser toner type office printer... I dont want laser... inkjet only, please. Ive also seen sev...

which b&w laser printer (usb)
Please recommend a monochrome laser for me. It needs to do B&W faster and cheaper than my inkjet (i.e. better than measured 13 ppm, 3.6 cents per page) Needs to be able to print on the following stock: cheap copy paper card stock (like post cards) transparencies envelopes Needs to be USB (will be connected to a USB print server) When in standby should be quiet and energy efficient so I can leave it on all the time All computers using this are XP but Linux support would be nice Budget: $250 thanks sathyan sundaram.15@osu.edu (Sathyan Sundaram) wrote in message ne...

Reliable b&w laser printer
I am looking for a *RELIABLE* personal monochrome laser printer. Usage will only be an average of a few pages per day. A low profile would be a bonus, as space (height) is limited. Also, any "stay away from" caveats for so called "All-In-One" printers? Thanks. ...

B&W laser printer for gentoo?
I use gentoo linux operating system I will either be using cups, gutenprint, or hp drivers ... I think I don't yet know if I want a USB2 or ethernet printer I want an all-in-one (printer,scanner,copier,fax) want laser because the hp photosmart I have, that works good for color, runs out of black in fast, the black ink is in the same cartridge as light_cyan and light_magenta the following one image ran out black cartridge http://www.dalekelly.org/images/c_ppmcie.png I have read somewhere? that photosmart printers aren't recommended for text, so I want a B&W pri...

Recommend multifunction B&W printer?
My Dell printer (A940) is giving me grief, so I'm considering getting a new one. I don't need color; I use it just for documents, so I'm guessing a laser printer is the right idea. I'd like to be able to scan, copy & fax as well as print. Since I'm just starting to look, I don't know what the suitable price range is, but it would be nice not to have to pay an arm and a leg. I'd appreciate recommendations. Thanks. -- Bob Here is a link to a multifunction printer that was posted here earlier in the group: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4311355?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG I have the same versiononly with fax capability and it works great. It is also economical to operate when using compatible ink cartridges. Bob Stringer wrote: > My Dell printer (A940) is giving me grief, so I'm > considering getting a new one. > > I don't need color; I use it just for documents, so I'm > guessing a laser printer is the right idea. I'd like to be > able to scan, copy & fax as well as print. Since I'm just > starting to look, I don't know what the suitable price range > is, but it would be nice not to have to pay an arm and a > leg. > > I'd appreciate recommendations. > > Thanks. On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:57:20 -0400, "Michael Johnson, PE" <nospam@ourhouse.com> wrote: >Here is a link to a multifunction printer that was po...

B&W Laser printer suggestion
Hi, I'm just in the process of buying a new printer, and am mainly looking at a black & white laser printer, preferably a multi-function one with scanner and "photocopying" possibilities. As I'm a student, the cost is an issue. Which ones would you suggest? Are there any specific models that are especially good - or bad? Any specific vendor that I should avoid? I have to admit that I'm not very good at this field, and it is difficult to find comparative reviews of printers online. -- Martin Gerner In article <1190197632.128854.293210@n39g200...

best printer for B&W photos
i'm beginning to experiment with digital B&W. which printer would you recommend for this? I know that certain companies make special inks just for this purpose, but i think they only work in epson printers. is epson the way to go or can the the new canon's 850i/950i handle this job as well? thanks for your opinions. peter "PrincePete01" <princepete01@cs.comnospam> wrote in message news:20030813181208.05032.00001337@mb-m26.news.cs.com... > i'm beginning to experiment with digital B&W. which printer would you recommend > for this? I know ...

B & W Printer/Copy Machine
My wife needs a small printer that can do page-at-a-time copying. Which small laser printers might be good? Color is not required or desirable (we have a canon i9100 on the network). This can be a dedicated printer on her machine only. Usage is about 20 pages a day. Thanks. Jim <overload@spam.ftc.gov> wrote in message news:kt7bt3lnu7oas8dkisi8jokkoblcu4v905@4ax.com... > My wife needs a small printer that can do page-at-a-time copying. > Which small laser printers might be good? Color is not required or > desirable (we have a canon i9100 on the network). This...

fast B&W printer- Non laser
I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat twists the labels on second run Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT to help with printing. only black and white required as no colour prinitng will be required on this printer Any thpughts appreciated -- Cheers Paul [Bluesky Marketing] ............................................... Never Be A Cloud In Anyones Life http://www.blueskymarketing.co.uk Home :-) http://www.laserpointers.co.uk http://www.megagreen.co.uk http://www.infiniter.co.uk http://www.noddingtoys.co.uk http://www.dailysmile.co.uk Sorry this thread was meant for printer newsgroup but i sent here by accident please ignore or feel free to answer if you have any thoughts -- Cheers Paul [Bluesky Marketing] > I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with > a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat > twists the labels on second run > > Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with > cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT > to help with printing. only black and white required as > no colour prinitng will be required on this printer > > Any thpughts appreciated > > > -- > Cheers > Paul [Bluesky Marketing] > ...........................................

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ...

Suggestions for B&W personal laser printer
My 14-year-old HP 5L is showing signs of needing replacement. I haven't been keeping up with the new crop of laser printers so don't know which is best now. I actually don't do a lot of printing. I'm still on the toner cartridge I bought when the one that came with the 5L ran out, but it's about gone. But I do want excellent quality for text since I'll use the printer for letters. I have an Epson inkjet printer I use for graphics or anything else with color. Smaller HP printers such as the P1006 have paper exposed to gather dust, so I'd prefer somethi...

Fast B&W printer
I need to print twice on large sheet labels and working with a laser printer (samsung) is causing problems as the heat warps the labels on first run causing problems on second run. Any thoughts on a FAST standard Inkjet printer ? with cheap refillable cartridges that doesnt use or require HEAT to help with printing. only black and white required as no colour prinitng will be required on this printer Is there such a thing (cheap) as a laser printer that doesnt use heat ( me doesnt think so ) Any thpughts appreciated Cheers Paul [Bluesky Marketing] .........................

Choosing an cheap b&w laser printer
Hello, I'm searching for a laser printer to buy. I will use it mostly for text and I wish I could get a quite nice quality, with the lowest cost per page. Can someone give me some advice or specific brand or model? Thanks a lot! Ed The Samsung 1710 is very low priced after rebate and has excellent text quality. You can also try the new HP LaserJet 1012. "Ed" <edtpasde@spamnerim.net> wrote in message news:3ffb1413$0$22308$626a54ce@news.free.fr... > Hello, > > I'm searching for a laser printer to buy. > I will use it mostly for ...

Printing in B&W on a color laser printer
I recently purchased a Brother MFC-9420CN, running on Win XP. I'd like to be be able to print certain web pages that use colored text in black-and-white. But when I try changing the print settings, the closest I get is grayscale text. Is there any way to print those colors as pure -black-and-white? If not, does anyone know of a utility that would convert the page to b&w before sending it to the printer? thanks! "cityboy" <cityboy3@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:18950c78-61bd-4357-90f8-ce7a80a1fc75@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I recently purchased...

Recommend a heavy duty b&w printer?
I want to replace a computer lab printer (all iMacs) that gets quite a bit of work per month (6000+ pages) and am wondering if anyone can recommend a reliable printer preferably from HP. However, I'm not married to HP so I certainly would like to hear about others if you are really happy with some particular model. The printer must have wired & wireless and options to add duplex and another 500-sheet tray. Thanks. In article <04866466-7232-48c3-84a6-bb8b235f3efc@r28g2000prb.googlegroups.com>, Evolution <cryptozoan@gmail.com> wrote: > I want to replace a computer lab...

Looking for a good colour/B & W printer
Wondering what is about which will give a good colour output but will also print good black and white prints as well. I was thinking of the Epson R800 as reviews have said that this is a fine printer, but, there are problems with clogging. I don't fancy paying out �200 for a printer that could soon fail. but then I am going on other peoples opinions. But I like the idea of the pigment inks and their colourfastness. then there is the Canon IP5000, I've seen the colour output from this one and it is very good, but not seen the B & W. So, any suggestions for a printer for about �200 or less? The IP4000 is better than the IP5000 unless you are printing a great deal of business documents. However, if B&W is very important and you are very fussy than the HP photo ink jets might be best. They do have the best B&W but the printer requires constant cartridge switching to get it. jackman wrote: >Wondering what is about which will give a good colour output but will >also print good black and white prints as well. >I was thinking of the Epson R800 as reviews have said that this is a >fine printer, but, there are problems with clogging. I don't fancy >paying out �200 for a printer that could soon fail. but then I am >going on other peoples opinions. But I like the idea of the pigment >inks and their colourfastness. > >then there is the Canon IP5000, I've seen the colour output from this &g...

The verdict on B&W Laser printers: HP 1320
After much thought, I have finally decided to ditch the three old HP's (LJIII and two LJII's) despite my attatchment to them. I've repaired the pinch-rollers etc a few times, but it seem that the wear is showing up in more expensive error conditins. So...I'm thinking about the HP 1320. Small, has postscript (which I wanted) and it will print double sided. Does the HP 1320 have a decent record on reliability? Any known design flaw? Thanks ...

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer #2
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ...

Low running cost B&W laser printer
We work very closely with a charity and they've asked us to recommend a good quality B&W laser which has low running costs which I take to mean uses toner frugally and replacement toner doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any recommendations as we always buy HP so don't know much about anything else :-) Thanks, Rob. In message <lL2dne2KbbglE3zZRVnysA@bt.com>, Rob Nicholson <rob.nicholson@nospam_informed-direct.com> writes >We work very closely with a charity and they've asked us to recommend a good >quality B&W laser which has low run...

Anyone using a Samsung B&W Laser Printer?
Is anyone using a Samsung Laser Printer? I'd like to check and see if you have their Smart Panel software working on your OSX 10.4.10. I have their ML2510 laser. Their Mac driver installs ok off their CD and is working fine but their Mac software package called "Smart Panel"for the ML2510 doesn't function in Tiger. Both are on the CD as Mac folders so it's not a PC mixup from the CD. I talked to them last night about the Smart Panel not functioning and was told that they are "working" on Smart Panel for Macintosh and that it will show on their site when...

Web resources about - B&W only printers - comp.periphs.printers

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can you really get a solid all-in-one printer, copier and scanner for just $90?
... Deals team's advice. And in this case, we're going to help you upgrade to the Epson WorkForce WF-3620 WiFi Direct All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, ...

Engineering students invented a 'pancake printer' that takes breakfast to the next level
It's Pancake Day! And what better way to celebrate than with the modern marvel that is this machine that will create pancakes in any shape you ...

How 3D printers are changing plastic surgery
The new technology is allowing patients to see a preview of their new faces before going under the knife