Canon experts: Canon i250 or i350, with BCI-24 ink?

I know nothing about inkjet printers, and I know that most of the
discussion here concerns high-end printers, but I need to get one
for occasional letters, html and pdf prints.  Not photos.  I would
probably average only a couple pages per week, and there may be
several weeks at a time when I don't use it at all.

After looking at the various low-end printers, I'm tending toward
the Canon i-250 or i-350.  These use the BCI-24 ink cartridges,
which appear to be a bit smaller than average.  Black is 9 ml, and
the three colors are 5.5 ml each.  I think they are pigment inks.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone wants to warn me off of these
printers, or suggest something else that's clearly better, before I
pull the trigger.  Or if there's anything obnoxious about these
Canons, or the ink, that I should know about.

Thanks

0
Peabody

Canon Compatibles BCI-3,BCI-6,BCI-24, BCI-24 All colours

Question about the waste ink tank in Canon IP5000 (and other Canon printers)
I've read this 'tank' contains ink from the cleaning cycles of the printer, and a cleaning happens automatically every time ink cartridges are replaced. So my question is how many times do I have to replace the cartridges with new ones before an error message appears saying the tank is full? Anyone taken a printer to Canon to have the tank emptied? How much did they charge? The amount of ink consumed in the cleaning cycles when replacing tanks is minimal, but cleaning cycles also occur based upon printer usage, time intervals and when requested by the user. The deep cleaning routines use the most ink. There have been many discussions on this newsgroup and in other forums about the 'waste ink tank is full' messages and how to reset the printer. Taking the printer to a repair facility may end up costing nearly as much as a new printer. The tank isn't a bottle or container as the name implies. It is an absorbent pad. If you don't go overboard with deep cleaning cycles the chances are good that you'll not ever see this message for your printer. -- Ron "Hg" <hg@gh.hg> wrote in message news:42eb7fa8$0$78157$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > I've read this 'tank' contains ink from the cleaning cycles of the > printer, > and a cleaning happens automatically every time ink cartridges are > replaced. > So my question is how many times do I have to replace the cartridg...

Most Popular Canon Toner, Canon Ink Cartridges, Canon Ribbons
The Buy Toner Online sells Canon Brands Toners, Ink cartridges and Ribbons. The Buy Toner Online is an ISO 9001&140001 certified online shopping site, which provides 100 percent unconditional guarantee to the products it sells. The Buy Online Toner displays top selling products separately to enable the customer to choose their product easily without confusion. Buy Toner online sales by major Canon products are below: BJ Printers Canon BJ 5 Canon BJ 10 Canon BJ 100 Canon BJ 20 Canon BJ 200 Canon BJ 230 BJC printers Canon BJC 1000 Canon BJC 1010 Canon BJ...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

BCI -6 ink in Canon ip4200 printer
Is it possible to use the Canon ip4000 ink (BCI-6Y, C, M) in the Canon IP4200 printer? The numbers are different and the ip4200 cartridges are chipped, but if I could transfer the chip to the BCI-6 ink would it work? On Feb 3, 4:54 pm, "dc" <darri...@gmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to use the Canon ip4000 ink (BCI-6Y, C, M) in the Canon > IP4200 printer? The numbers are different and the ip4200 cartridges > are chipped, but if I could transfer the chip to the BCI-6 ink would > it work? For those who are interested the CLI cartridges will work in pla...

Canon Pixma IP4000, when does printer use BCI-3EBK cart ink
As subject Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is selected? Only when draft is selected? Thanks in advance tHatDudeUK wrote: > As subject > > Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is > selected? Only when draft is selected? > > Thanks in advance Normally it uses BCI3e all the time except when printing photos, so when photo or glossy paper is selected. When you print text and business documents with graphics. tHatDudeUK wrote: >As subject > >Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is selected? >Only when draft is selected? > >Thanks in advance > > > > Here is a quick test you can perform. Use a photo with quite a bit of black areas. Open the cover on the printer and use a small screwdriver to hold down the cover interlock so that you can actually see the ink being put on the paper. Print the same photo using different paper modes. The BCI-3 black (pigmented black) is deposited with a much wider path than the BCI-6 black. Note also that the BCI-3 black appears to be used only when in plain paper mode. All other modes use only the BCI-6 black. You will see this when observing the printing operation. The other thing you can do is to wet your fingertip and move it across the edge of the printed area onto the unprinted area. You will see a difference in the amount of ink smearing. -- Ron Cohen...

I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi. Plus they are about the same price on newegg.com. Are there any features that the i860 has that the MP360 doesn't? Otherwise why not get the MP360 and get a scanner too. any info would be appreciated. Canon i860 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9387&item=9442&section=10214 Canon MP360 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9527&item=9632&section=10223 Most people BUY a product based on how THEY will use the product. Maybe the first think you need to do sort out is your own imaging needs. "sydemon" <sydegun@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:49cf01cc.0405051118.15975f6@posting.google.com... : I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The : MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. : I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, : except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit : faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo : paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi...

Canon 4 ink Vs 6 ink printers
Is there much different in photo print quality between Canon, or any other manufactuers for that matter, 4 and 6 ink printers? Been looking at the iP5200 and iP6600D printers. Not really sure the card slots and screen are worth the extra money over the iP5200 but do these *and* the 6 ink system of the iP6600 make it worth considering over the iP5200? In the UK the iP5200 can be had for around �115 and the iP6600D for around �170. Jack Torrence wrote: >Is there much different in photo print quality between Canon, or any other >manufactuers for that matter, 4 and 6 ink printers? > > YES. WHEN USING OEM INK CANON HAS MORE LIFE AND SNAP TO THE PHOTOS THAN THE COMPETING BRANDS. THE OEM INK ALSO COSTS LESS >Been looking at the iP5200 and iP6600D printers. > I WOULD SAY THAT THE IP5200 IS A BETTER BET IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE A COMPUTER TO EDIT YOUR PHOTOS WITH DECENT SOFTWARE. >Not really sure the card >slots and screen are worth the extra money > THEY ARE A WASTE JUST LIKE THE IP6000 THAT WAS INFERIOR >over the iP5200 but do these >*and* the 6 ink system of the iP6600 make it worth considering over the >iP5200? > > ABSOLUTLEY NOT >In the UK the iP5200 can be had for around �115 and the iP6600D for around >�170. > > PUT YOUR MONEY IN OEM INK > > > measekite wrote: > > Jack Torrence wrote: > > >Is there much diffe...

canon i350 printer
hi everyone, I brought a canon i350 printer today, and have set it up as the book told me to, but I keep getting the error message from the set up cd that it can not find the usb printer port and pulling out my hair - lol ! has anyone any ideas please ? thanks Ian On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:41:05 +1100, "Ian Fraser" <ianmark@alphalink.com.au> wrote: >hi everyone, > >I brought a canon i350 printer today, and have set it up >as the book told me to, but I keep getting the error message from the set up >cd that it can not find the usb >printer port and pulling out my hair - lol ! > >has anyone any ideas please ? > >thanks > >Ian > Try installing the drivers before you connect the printer (if you haven't tried that). Make sure the printer is turned on. On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:41:05 +1100, Ian Fraser wrote: > hi everyone, > > I brought a canon i350 printer today, and have set it up > as the book told me to, but I keep getting the error message from the set up > cd that it can not find the usb > printer port and pulling out my hair - lol ! > > has anyone any ideas please ? > > thanks > > Ian Do You have USB enabled in the BIOS? -- r.s.nevin@att.net "Ian Fraser" <ianmark@alphalink.com.au> wrote in message news:3feea53f@news.alphalink.com.au... > hi everyone, > > I brought a canon i350 printer toda...

Canon i250 printer
Hi, I'm trying to set up a new Canon i250 on my dad's Win98SE computer, without much success. Software installation appears to work just fine, but alternate lines of the printer test page (and any other documents I attempt to print as a test) fail to print well. There'll be one line of text printed perfectly, and the text below will be missing the top 50% of it's characters ... the lower-half of the letters will print fine though. And then the next line will be 100% okay, and the next only 50% and so on. I've tried using the software to clean the heads, I've tried re-seating the ink cartridge ... and previously my dad had taken the printer to be tested on a WinXP computer (not his) where the test page was perfect. I tried uninstalling, downloading new drivers from Canon (in case there was a problem with the CD) and I'm out of ideas! Printer is connected by USB through a USB hub, previous printer was a HP inkjet (still installed, but no longer default). Other drivers installed are called "MS Publisher Color Printer" and "MS Publisher Imagesetter". Thanks! Catherine Catherine try connecting the printer direct and not through a USB hub regards Don "OzFree" <OzFree@despammed.com> wrote in message news:ab25526c.0407100406.5884d475@posting.google.com... > Hi, > > I'm trying to set up a new Canon i250 on my dad's Win98SE computer, > without mu...

Canon Ink Durability on Non-Canon papers.
I've read virtually every article on Wilhelm and other sites talking about durability of Inkjet inks and papers but seem to only find results with Canon ink on Canon paper, Epson Ink on Epson Paper, etc. Never intermixing. I've personally been using Epson papers in my Canon i960 (they were buy one/get one free) and the quality is supurb. But is there any data on print longevity with such combinations? What about Kodak papers that claim 100 years. Realistically, what I'm simply looking for is my best option for prints that I give to friends and family. For my own personal uses, I could care less if they fade in 5 years or 100 years, I'll be re-printing them soon enough anyway. Anyone know of actual tests with Canon (BCI-6 inks in particular) with other brands of paper? Thanks Jason Hillary wrote: > I've read virtually every article on Wilhelm and other sites talking about > durability of Inkjet inks and papers but seem to only find results with > Canon ink on Canon paper, Epson Ink on Epson Paper, etc. Never intermixing. > > I've personally been using Epson papers in my Canon i960 (they were buy > one/get one free) and the quality is supurb. But is there any data on print > longevity with such combinations? What about Kodak papers that claim 100 > years. > > Realistically, what I'm simply looking for is my best option for prints that > I give to frien...

Printer Ink

Canon i350 excessive inking?
My new canon i350 seems to be putting too much black ink onto the paper. It causes the paper to wrinkle under dark areas of the printed page, and in places the edges of the printing look a little fuzzy. My previous experience is with a Canon BJC-250 that produced crisp text and no wrinkled paper. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to turn down the ink output without going to a lower image quality? Does the i350 need a special paper that the BJC-250 didn't? TIA for any suggestions. What kind of cartridges you are useing -- Adriatix http://adriatix.hr/ "Al" <me@nospam.net> wrote in message news:409a1c4b.1785142@news.mr.net... > My new canon i350 seems to be putting too much black ink onto the > paper. It causes the paper to wrinkle under dark areas of the printed > page, and in places the edges of the printing look a little fuzzy. > > My previous experience is with a Canon BJC-250 that produced crisp > text and no wrinkled paper. > > Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way to turn down the ink > output without going to a lower image quality? Does the i350 need a > special paper that the BJC-250 didn't? > > TIA for any suggestions. On Thu, 6 May 2004 14:41:17 +0200, "Adriatic" <servis@adriatix.hr> wrote: >What kind of cartridges you are useing > > > >-- >Adriatix >http://adriatix.hr/ I'm still on...

Is the Canon I250 a good printer?
Is the Canon I250 a good printer? Are ink cartridges cheap? Regards, Casey > Is the Canon I250 a good printer? > > Are ink cartridges cheap? In short, yes. I think it works well, and has quite cheap cartridges that seem to last for quite a while (and they can be refilled). The print quality is excellent for text, and not too bad for photos. Compared to the Epson C60 I replaced its a bit slower, almost as good quality and MUCH cheaper to run. Its also takes up less desk space. You might want to look at the i350 - practically the same printer, but its got a tray to catch the pages (it can be a pain when they fall on the floor or get scrunched up). I've put a longer review at http://www.neish.net/reviews/i250.html Cheers, Peter seems ok for me. I just bought one to print text. You can find ink cartridges for cheap to fit it online. ...

Canon printer ink usage
Strange problem! I purchased a new computer a little more than a year ago. Along with it I got a Canon Pixma MP520 printer. As all new printers, it had four new ink cartridges in it. I set up the software so it only printed black and grey. There were no colors involved. The other day it complained (slightly over a year's use) that it was running out of Cyan. I replaced the Cyan cartridge and it began working again. Bit I noticed the cartridge I removed was 40-50% full of ink. Two things occur to me: (1) Why would it be reported as empty? (2) Why would it be emp...

Generic inks for CANON printers?
I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will be a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which the generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would generics be ok? On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so thats a plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 sets on ebay for half the price. It's tempting! Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon printers? My parents have a real old (10+ years) canon bubblejet printer that has been refilled with black ink alot and it's handled it ok. aloha Brian wrote: > I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty > replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay > will be a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses > durabrite which the generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use > this feature so would generics be ok? > > On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so > thats a plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 > sets on ebay for half the price. It's tempting! > > Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon > printers? My parents have a real old (10+ years) canon bubblejet > printer that has bee...

Canon S300 printer and GPL driver from canon.jp
hi everyone Like many other users, I'm experiencing problems with my Canon S300 printer. Today I've found a page at linuxprinting.org that state that Canon has released GPLed drivers for S300 in Japan ( http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-S300 ). It's actually true: http://cweb.canon.jp/drv-upd/bj/bjlinux210.html Since I cannot understand japanese and babelfish isn't helping so much I tried to install them without much luck. I downloaded and installed (I'm running Mandrake 10 rc1) bjfilterbjs300-2.1-0.i386.rpm, bjfiltercups-2.2-0.i386.rpm, bjfilte...

Replacement Ink for Canon printer
I have the Canon MP 780 all in one and it uses the number 6 black 3e black and 6 yellow 6 magenta and 6 Cyan where can I purchase replacements or should use refills if refills our available for a good price? "Kenneth Maultsby" <kmaultsby@verizon.net> wrote in message news:UogEe.426$Eo3.416@trnddc08... >I have the Canon MP 780 all in one and it uses the number 6 black 3e black >and 6 yellow 6 magenta and 6 Cyan where can I purchase replacements or >should use refills if refills our available for a good price? > Country? Region? For bulk ink www.alotofthings.com is a very good vendor. I've been a customer of theirs for several years. They stock Sensient-Formulabs ink for refilling. If you want prefilled cartridges a good source is abacus http://stores.ebay.com/AbacusInk/AbacusInk-Canon.html or www.tylermartin.com (on eBay http://stores.ebay.com/AbacusInk/AbacusInk-Canon.html ). For more information on refilling check out www.nifty-stuff.com. Several of us on this newsgroup are regulars on that forum and you'll get some very good info without the ridiculous comments from the anti 3rd party ink troll who has inflicted himself upon this newsgroup. -- Ron "Kenneth Maultsby" <kmaultsby@verizon.net> wrote in message news:UogEe.426$Eo3.416@trnddc08... >I have the Canon MP 780 all in one and it uses the number 6 black 3e black >and 6 yellow 6 magenta and 6 Cyan where can ...

Your Ink for Espon Canon printer
special offer suitable for all Epson Canon inkjet printer , welcom to visit http://xibase.net/products.php or tel 2683 2829 , free delivery. ...

Canon Pixma Printer Ink
5-Pack Non-OEM Ink w/ Chip for Canon PGI-5BK CLI-8 Pixma MP500 MP530 MP600 MP800 iP4200 iP4300 iP4500 iP5200 iP5200 Price:$8.91 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001IO6DEY Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001IO6DEY Canon Pixma Pro9000 Professional Large Format Inkjet Printer (9995A001) Price:$499.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000J1HPK8 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000J1HPK8 6 Pack (3xBlack + 1 of Each Color) Compatible Ink w/ Chip for Canon Pixma iP3300 iP3500 MP510 MX700 PGI-5BK CLI-8 Price:$21.45 Image: http://bestdea...

Printer filter for a Canon i350
Has anyone developed a printer filter for the Canon i350 printer? I have used the /usr/sfw/bin/gs and its options to attempt to varying degrees of a print filter. So far I have used the bj* devices listed, and a few others but always resulting in gibberish being printed, or the print job disappearing into the ether. I have googled, but so far I have not seen, or read anything promising regarding this printer. I'd appreciate any input, even if it is to suggest that I give up. W wrote: > Has anyone developed a printer filter for the Canon i350 printer? > > I have used the ...

Aftermarket ink for Canon printer
A aftermarket ink store is selling out their stock of Liberty Canon carts because they are changing suppliers. I don't know if it is because of problems or price points. If I mix Liberty carts with Canon-brande ones will the results be satisfactory? I'm particularly concerned with gumming up the print head om my M600. Brendan mixing carts shouldn't matter don't forget when you run out of a cartridge your not mixing the inks in the printhead its only being mixed on the paper www.bizco.com.au "Brendan R. Wehrung" <ck183@FreeNet.Carleton.CA>...

Can I use Canon 610 inkjet ink in a Canon 3000??
Do you think I can use refill ink for a Canon 610 in a Canon 3000? Black and colors. I have a lot of left over ink from the 610. I don't want to spend the 40 or 50 dollars a new set of ink cartridges will cost. I don't want to buy a whole new printer because then I'll have to decide which is the best one to buy, and that will take me forever and wear me out. Thanks a lot. Meirman -- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary. "meirman" <meirman@invalid.com> wrote in message news:td8431hfumc3aa8oc30mfqpj1ao9tbam4m@4ax.com... > > Do you think I can use refill ink for a Canon 610 in a Canon 3000? > > Black and colors. > > I have a lot of left over ink from the 610. > > I don't want to spend the 40 or 50 dollars a new set of ink cartridges > will cost. I don't want to buy a whole new printer because then I'll > have to decide which is the best one to buy, and that will take me > forever and wear me out. > Due to the different density (vibrance) of the inks and drop size being applied to the paper, this would not be recommended. You would most likely see a color shift in images and possibly frequent clogging of the pigmented black as formulation has improved on the newer inks to reduce clogging of the smaller nozzles on newer printheads. ...

Web resources about - Canon experts: Canon i250 or i350, with BCI-24 ink? - comp.periphs.printers