Canon IP4000 not printing black on cd's?

Whenever I print black on a cd its comes out green.  Printing black on paper
works fine.

Can anyone confirm this printer uses the large black ink cart when printing
on paper and the small one when printing cd's?

Thanks
Andy

PS.  All carts are Canon's own.  Canon and PCWorld dont want to know since
it is
now outside 12 month warranty.   PCWorld's response was:

Thank you for your email.

As the model is out of warranty, we would need proof that the fault was
inherent at the time of purchase.
For this you will need the item testing by a VAT registered engineer. This
report will need to detail a full break down on the fault.

If this report contains details that the item had an inherent fault for the
date of purchase. we will be happy to arrange for the appropriate action to
be taken and also arrange for a refund for the engineer report you were
charged.

Please write to the below address once the report has been completed.

|-----------------------------|
|PCWorld Customer Services    |
|-----------------------------|
|Customer Contact Centre      |
|-----------------------------|
|PO BOX 1687                  |
|-----------------------------|
|Sheffield                    |
|-----------------------------|
|S2 5YA                       |
|-----------------------------|

Yours sincerely

Chris Rhodes
PC World Aftersales

Andrew

Andrew wrote:

> Whenever I print black on a cd its comes out green.  Printing black on paper
> works fine.
>
> Can anyone confirm this printer uses the large black ink cart when printing
> on paper and the small one when printing cd's?
>
> Thanks
> Andy
>
> PS.  All carts are Canon's own.  Canon and PCWorld dont want to know since
> it is
> now outside 12 month warranty.   PCWorld's response was:

Firstly print a nozzle check test pattern, which will show which black
is at fault. If it's the 3eBK then I think that's the fat one. It'll
either not print at all or print with lines in etc. If you haven't
tried it run a series of deep cleans and normal ones. Usually if I am
having problems like this it takes a while to get ink to come through,
and at first it might be patchy, but really give it some heavy duty
cleaning, and print a test every couple of runs to see if you're
getting any improvement.

Obviously I can't guarantee this method but it's something to try if
you haven't had a go.

--
Paul  (Need a lift she said much obliged)
Stop and Look

"Andrew" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Whenever I print black on a cd its comes out green.  Printing black on
paper
> works fine.
>
> Can anyone confirm this printer uses the large black ink cart when
printing
> on paper and the small one when printing cd's?
>
> Thanks
> Andy
>

> PS.  All carts are Canon's own.  Canon and PCWorld dont want to know since
> it is
> now outside 12 month warranty.   PCWorld's response was:

> Thank you for your email.
>
> As the model is out of warranty, we would need proof that the fault was
> inherent at the time of purchase.
> For this you will need the item testing by a VAT registered engineer. This
> report will need to detail a full break down on the fault.
>
> If this report contains details that the item had an inherent fault for
the
> date of purchase. we will be happy to arrange for the appropriate action
> be taken and also arrange for a refund for the engineer report you were
> charged.
>
> Please write to the below address once the report has been completed.
>
> |-----------------------------|
> |PCWorld Customer Services    |
> |-----------------------------|
> |Customer Contact Centre      |
> |-----------------------------|
> |PO BOX 1687                  |
> |-----------------------------|
> |Sheffield                    |
> |-----------------------------|
> |S2 5YA                       |
> |-----------------------------|
>

> Yours sincerely
>
> Chris Rhodes
> PC World Aftersales

Dan
11/6/2006 5:46:50 PM
Andrew - go onto the nifty-stuff forum and look at all the info on print
head cleaning.  Might as well try before buying a new print head.  The
pigmented black nozzles are the most prone to clogging.
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/

"Andrew" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Whenever I print black on a cd its comes out green.  Printing black on
> paper works fine.
>
> Can anyone confirm this printer uses the large black ink cart when
> printing
> on paper and the small one when printing cd's?
>
> Thanks
> Andy
>

> PS.  All carts are Canon's own.  Canon and PCWorld dont want to know since
> it is
> now outside 12 month warranty.   PCWorld's response was:

> Thank you for your email.
>
> As the model is out of warranty, we would need proof that the fault was
> inherent at the time of purchase.
> For this you will need the item testing by a VAT registered engineer. This
> report will need to detail a full break down on the fault.
>
> If this report contains details that the item had an inherent fault for
> the
> date of purchase. we will be happy to arrange for the appropriate action
> be taken and also arrange for a refund for the engineer report you were
> charged.
>
> Please write to the below address once the report has been completed.
>
> |-----------------------------|
> |PCWorld Customer Services    |
> |-----------------------------|
> |Customer Contact Centre      |
> |-----------------------------|
> |PO BOX 1687                  |
> |-----------------------------|
> |Sheffield                    |
> |-----------------------------|
> |S2 5YA                       |
> |-----------------------------|
>

> Yours sincerely
>
> Chris Rhodes
> PC World Aftersales

Burt
11/6/2006 7:45:53 PM
Did you try another brand of printable CD or DVD?

Some have a printable coatings of different colours and absorption
capability.  It could be a problem with the media, and not the printer.
 Personally, I ran across a brand that wouldn't retain any ink
whatsoever.

I'd verify that the problem exists with other printable CD/DVD brands,
before pinning the problem on the printer.  Otherwise, you could be
wasting your time trying to rectify a non-existant printer/ink problem.

Bullitt

>Andrew wrote:
> Whenever I print black on a cd its comes out green.  Printing black on paper
> works fine.
>
> Can anyone confirm this printer uses the large black ink cart when printing
> on paper and the small one when printing cd's?
>
> Thanks
> Andy
>

> PS.  All carts are Canon's own.  Canon and PCWorld dont want to know since
> it is
> now outside 12 month warranty.   PCWorld's response was:

> Thank you for your email.
>
> As the model is out of warranty, we would need proof that the fault was
> inherent at the time of purchase.
> For this you will need the item testing by a VAT registered engineer. This
> report will need to detail a full break down on the fault.
>
> If this report contains details that the item had an inherent fault for the
> date of purchase. we will be happy to arrange for the appropriate action to
> be taken and also arrange for a refund for the engineer report you were
> charged.
>
> Please write to the below address once the report has been completed.
>
> |-----------------------------|
> |PCWorld Customer Services    |
> |-----------------------------|
> |Customer Contact Centre      |
> |-----------------------------|
> |PO BOX 1687                  |
> |-----------------------------|
> |Sheffield                    |
> |-----------------------------|
> |S2 5YA                       |
> |-----------------------------|
>

> Yours sincerely
>
> Chris Rhodes
> PC World Aftersales

phineaspaine
11/7/2006 3:42:04 AM
phineaspaine@yahoo.com wrote:

> Did you try another brand of printable CD or DVD?
>
> Some have a printable coatings of different colours and absorption
> capability.  It could be a problem with the media, and not the printer.
>  Personally, I ran across a brand that wouldn't retain any ink
> whatsoever.
>
> I'd verify that the problem exists with other printable CD/DVD brands,
> before pinning the problem on the printer.  Otherwise, you could be
> wasting your time trying to rectify a non-existant printer/ink problem.
>
> Bullitt

If he prints out the test pattern it will show which black is working
without any extra cost, then he will at least have some idea of a
starting point before going to extra cost.

--
Paul  (Need a lift she said much obliged)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul
11/7/2006 7:35:20 AM
What's the going rate for a printable CD or DVD these days?  Oh yeah,
30 to 40 cents...each...Canadian.  Spend a buck or bum a few off
friends that have 'em, as long as they're a different brand, and print
the same thing to see if the black is still 'green'.  It's well worth
it to identify a bad batch of printable media, which is entirely
possible.

I get quite off-color results with a batch of Princo DVD printables
that give the image a prominent greenish-brown cast, whereas the same
print looked fantastic on my other Ritek, TDK and Verbatim DVD
printables, and Memorex CD printables, all tested just now on my IP5000
(with european CD/DVD printing kit installed).  I've also got a batch
of Verbatim ValuLife CD printables where the print comes out way too
light (colours were all very pale, blacks were grey/green), and never
really dries because the 'printable' surface apparently won't absorb
the ink.  The coating must be defective, as even after 72 hours, I can
just take a paper towel and wipe it clean.  These 'bad' discs have been
relegated to non-printable status (but a Sharpie will still permanently
mark on it).  Go figure.  Note, all my printable media are 'white', not
the 'silver' type.

(Btw, never, ever put a 'wet' printable CD/DVD in a drive... what a
mess!  It'll just spray the inside of your drive with ink as it
centrifuges off the disc... yeah, I know you're all ROTFL, but I wasn't
thinking when I did it..., just the one time..., long ago).

Also, if you use the Canon CD-Labelprint software, try selecting 'dark'
instead of 'light', if that's what you've been using.

Bullitt

>Paul Heslop wrote:
> phineaspaine@yahoo.com wrote:
> >
> > Did you try another brand of printable CD or DVD?
> >
> > Some have a printable coatings of different colours and absorption
> > capability.  It could be a problem with the media, and not the printer.
> >  Personally, I ran across a brand that wouldn't retain any ink
> > whatsoever.
> >
> > I'd verify that the problem exists with other printable CD/DVD brands,
> > before pinning the problem on the printer.  Otherwise, you could be
> > wasting your time trying to rectify a non-existant printer/ink problem.
> >
> > Bullitt
> >
> If he prints out the test pattern it will show which black is working
> without any extra cost, then he will at least have some idea of a
> starting point before going to extra cost.
>
> --
> Paul  (Need a lift she said much obliged)
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

0
phineaspaine
11/8/2006 8:23:47 AM
phineaspaine@yahoo.com wrote:

> What's the going rate for a printable CD or DVD these days?  Oh yeah,
> 30 to 40 cents...each...Canadian.  Spend a buck or bum a few off
> friends that have 'em, as long as they're a different brand, and print
> the same thing to see if the black is still 'green'.  It's well worth
> it to identify a bad batch of printable media, which is entirely
> possible.

yes, quite possibly, but no trouble, piece of paper, print, evidence
of malfunction or not, as a starting point. Obviously if there's a
space where one of the blacks should print then there's a blockage or
fault which needs seeing to and it doesn't involve moving from your
desk.

> I get quite off-color results with a batch of Princo DVD printables
> that give the image a prominent greenish-brown cast, whereas the same
> print looked fantastic on my other Ritek, TDK and Verbatim DVD
> printables, and Memorex CD printables, all tested just now on my IP5000
> (with european CD/DVD printing kit installed).  I've also got a batch
> of Verbatim ValuLife CD printables where the print comes out way too
> light (colours were all very pale, blacks were grey/green), and never
> really dries because the 'printable' surface apparently won't absorb
> the ink.  The coating must be defective, as even after 72 hours, I can
> just take a paper towel and wipe it clean.  These 'bad' discs have been
> relegated to non-printable status (but a Sharpie will still permanently
> mark on it).  Go figure.  Note, all my printable media are 'white', not
> the 'silver' type.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I would have to cross all my fingers and
toes before I suggested I haven't had any bad media though I think it
was black looking a little brown, and I also found using canon's
software that if there was one of those blended blue and red skyline
things in the cover image it would tend to over saturate the pinkness.
I also have some cd_r which retain a dampness or tackiness about them
after printing, very unpleasant.

> (Btw, never, ever put a 'wet' printable CD/DVD in a drive... what a
> mess!  It'll just spray the inside of your drive with ink as it
> centrifuges off the disc... yeah, I know you're all ROTFL, but I wasn't
> thinking when I did it..., just the one time..., long ago).

 :O))

> Also, if you use the Canon CD-Labelprint software, try selecting 'dark'
> instead of 'light', if that's what you've been using.
>
> Bullitt

That's a good one, I've noted that tendency to print too light on the
software too.

--
Paul  (Need a lift she said much obliged)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul
11/8/2006 9:52:24 AM
Paul Heslop wrote:

> That's a good one, I've noted that tendency to print too light on the
> software too.

Yep... I use intensity +8 minium, and on OEM ink +2 black... always.

Printe does tend to be light on many types of discs, I suspect they are
geared for epson and not for canon, which in all fairness uses a less
dence ink.  Verbatiums need more like a +10 to +12 in my experence,
TDKs not really an issue.

0
zakezuke
11/8/2006 3:49:38 PM
zakezuke wrote:

> Paul Heslop wrote:
>
> > That's a good one, I've noted that tendency to print too light on the
> > software too.
>
> Yep... I use intensity +8 minium, and on OEM ink +2 black... always.
>
> Printe does tend to be light on many types of discs, I suspect they are
> geared for epson and not for canon, which in all fairness uses a less
> dence ink.  Verbatiums need more like a +10 to +12 in my experence,
> TDKs not really an issue.

Interesting. I have only tried the ritek extreme/ ritek generic (I
think) datawrite titanium and panasonic discs. It was titanium cd-r
full face which have the tacky surface if memory serves me right
--
Paul  (Need a lift she said much obliged)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul
11/8/2006 4:23:58 PM
Just to clarify with the Verbatims, the bad batch I have are printable
CDs, whereas the Verbatim DVDs print just fine.  Obviously not the same
printable coating.

I always use the 'dark' setting with CD Labelprint, and they usually
come out perfect, with CoralJet carts.

You're probably on the right track with printable CD/DVD media being
set up for Epsons, since most of them use less transparent pigmented
ink.  I should have someone try one of those "defective" Verbatim CDs
on an Epson.  It may just work ok.  After all, they are the predominant
CD/DVD printers in North America, as Canons had CD/DVD printing
disabled here until the IP4300/5300 showed up recently.  They now have
CD/DVD printing enabled.  It's about time!

On a trip to Europe last year, I picked up the genuine Canon parts to
convert my North American IP5000 to enable CD/DVD printing, i.e. the
tray and the roller-style inner door (couldn't just buy the roller
plate separately).  I just replaced the blocking plate with the roller
plate on the existing inner door, and reprogrammed the firmware.
Brought back 5 sets of parts for myself and some friends who also have
IP4000/5000 models, and an MP780.  They all love the job these Canons
do on printable CD/DVDs.

Bullitt

> Paul Heslop wrote:
> zakezuke wrote:
> >
> > Paul Heslop wrote:
> >
> > > That's a good one, I've noted that tendency to print too light on the
> > > software too.
> >
> > Yep... I use intensity +8 minium, and on OEM ink +2 black... always.
> >
> > Printe does tend to be light on many types of discs, I suspect they are
> > geared for epson and not for canon, which in all fairness uses a less
> > dence ink.  Verbatiums need more like a +10 to +12 in my experence,
> > TDKs not really an issue.
>
> Interesting. I have only tried the ritek extreme/ ritek generic (I
> think) datawrite titanium and panasonic discs. It was titanium cd-r
> full face which have the tacky surface if memory serves me right
> --
> Paul  (Need a lift she said much obliged)
> Stop and Look
> http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

0
phineaspaine
11/9/2006 5:15:42 AM
phineaspaine@yahoo.com wrote:

> Just to clarify with the Verbatims, the bad batch I have are printable
> CDs, whereas the Verbatim DVDs print just fine.  Obviously not the same
> printable coating.

Isn't that weird? Maybe these companies don't respect cd users
anymore?

> I always use the 'dark' setting with CD Labelprint, and they usually
> come out perfect, with CoralJet carts.

> On a trip to Europe last year, I picked up the genuine Canon parts to
> convert my North American IP5000 to enable CD/DVD printing, i.e. the
> tray and the roller-style inner door (couldn't just buy the roller
> plate separately).  I just replaced the blocking plate with the roller
> plate on the existing inner door, and reprogrammed the firmware.
> Brought back 5 sets of parts for myself and some friends who also have
> IP4000/5000 models, and an MP780.  They all love the job these Canons
> do on printable CD/DVDs.
>
> Bullitt

the Canon is my first disc printer but being in England I didn't have
to go through any setting up, just plugged her in and off she went. It
also seems to be the best printer I have had all round, from noise
levels, to speed and quality. Can be finicky during cartridge changes
though.

--
Paul  (Need a lift she said much obliged)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
0
Paul

Questions about printers that print on to CD's/DVD's
Hi Been looking around on line at printers that print on to C.D's and it seems that Canon and Epson are the two main players at the moment and i would value this groups opinion on them I am deciding between the canon i865 and Epsons R200 and R300 ,my reasons for the canon our Had canon in the past and no real problems (have S820D at moment) and the ink cartridges will fit the i825 But the canon is slighty more expensive than the Epson The Epson's are both slighty cheaper than the canon but replacement cartridges are slighty more expensive ( I use generic cartridges with ...

Aftermarket Trays Available for Direct Printing on CD/DVD's with Canon Printers
The lack of trays for Canon printers has been a big problem. Take a look at www.cd-trays.com nosuchaddress@email.com wrote: > The lack of trays for Canon printers has been a big problem. Take a look at > www.cd-trays.com I just did a search of e-bay and there seems to be no shortage of tray type B, C, and D, the offical canon one with the handy dandy center hub. Between $20 and $30 shipped in most cases. http://pixma.allhyper.com/ contains all the info one needs for all models except the new ip4300 which has yet to hit stores. Don't get me wrong, i'm all for...

Printing color on dvd's/cd's
Has anyone had any good experience with color printing labels on dvd's and cd's? Thanks -- Email no good, reply to group I have had reasonable success with an Epson R200 and Memorex DVDs. My first efforts had some uneven printing that I eventually attributed to some media problems (not the printer). Mike "JE" <Zeke@legs.com> wrote in message news:nkrJg.4529$yO7.652@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com... > Has anyone had any good experience with color printing labels on dvd's and > cd's? > > Thanks > > -- > Emai...

Hi, While working on some python C extensions, I got curious in how things work for printing float objects (and C-level objects which inherit from it). In python 2.6, I understand that the formatting went into surgery for more consistency across platforms. So for example, on windows, complex('inf') would be printed 'inf', and not '1.#INF'. However, I would like some clarifications if possible about the following: a = complex('inf') print a # -> print 'inf' print '%s' % a # -> print 'inf' print '%f' % a # -> print '1...

Modifying a printer to print CD's?
Anyone know of any information on modifications that can be done to cheap printers that will let you feed a CD through to be printed? I have heard there are people doing this, but just starting looking and thought I would ask. Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I don't know about retro-fitting an existing printer, but Epson has some inexpensive (<$200) inkjets that can print directly to special CDs. "The village idiot" <rats@ratandspam.net> wrote in message news:heednXjHludSnc2iU-KYuA@giganews.com... > Anyone know of any information on modificatio...

Is there an all in one printer that prints on CD's?
Can someone tell me if there is an all in one printer that prints on CD's? Thanks. OM > Can someone tell me if there is an all in one printer that > prints on CD's? Epson has one IIRC. Epson Stylus Photo RX700. A tad spendy. Canon has several but the feature is not enabled in the USA. Visit http://pixma.webpal.info/ for details. the mp750/760/780 all have been tested to work with "tray type b". > canon is not designed to work in the usa Not true! In fact the new Pixmas include rollers on the USA models. They are designed to work jus...

Will any AIO printer print to CD's
I've got an Epson printer that will print direct to CD's, which I used to use a lot, but which needs a large space to work in as it has to have the CD fed in from the back. As I only have a small office, it has become impossible to use. I was looking today at an HP C5180 and thinking that if it would print onto CD's, it would be just the thing. But it seems to say Tattoo printing of CD's and neither I nor the store knew what that meant. Can this, or any other small AIO printers print direct to printable CD's? I liked the look of the C5180 with its networking...

Canon i560 printer won't print black
I have an i560 printer. It has suddenly stopped printing black. I have the service manual, but it doesn't give any circuit diagrams. Can anyone help? I looked on the internet, and a number of people have had this problem, but most of the answers tell them to replace the ink cartridge - as if that was not the first thing anyone intelligent would do! I have played around with it, and I find that if I plug it into my laptop it prints a Word text document perfectly - so the black cartidge and printhead must be O.K. When I use my RISC PC it doesn't print, so it would appear that the prin...

Canon S600 printer won't print in black
Hello everyone, I've got a Canon S600 inkjet printer which was working perfectly fine until a couple of days ago in which i was rearranging my computer station to another room. All that was done was that the printer was disconnected and moved temporarily. Upon re-connection, I noticed that anything I try to print in black (ie. Word document or web pages) doesn't print. Other colors including grey print fine. I've checked that all the ink cartridges are full, tried reinstalling/updating the drivers etc. but nothing. If anyone has any insight in what the problem might...

fyi: print on cd/dvd with Canon printers U.S.
In the United States the Canon printers are disabled from printing directly on cd/dvd's. I think this is due to Epson having a patent on it (i.e. direct printing on cd/dvd's) in the United States. Canon would be infringing on this patent.. Those of you interested in it, here is a series on enabling U.S. printers. http://pixma-faq.periastron.com/1.html http://pixma.damnmachine.com Much better site with updated info and forums. ...

It's on-it's off-it's on, it's off -WHY?
IS THIS THE CORRECT FORUM? Hope so. We have three computer networked at home...all with Windows XP. one of those is a laptop. Some mornings all 3 can see each other and transfer files...then mysteriously one or more will disappear. No contact....then later it's back. The laptop is the worst. Most often it won't let us in...but sometimes it will. No obvious reason. The most INFURIATING part is the message "see your administrator". Dammit Bill Gates...don't you realize that most networks are small offices without a Majestic Royal Administrator sitting his i...

Cheap printer just to print to DVD/CD's any ??
Iv'e been tryint to find a A3 printer with DVD/CD printing. But their seems to be none in the MID range price range. So its get a Decent A3 Printer and then buy a cheap Cd/DVD printer :( Canon have released two new A3 printers which i would have bought right awat if they had DVD/CD printing as well. Though they are graphics printers and i can understand why they don't have cd/DVD printing. But it would be nice if it had the option atleast :) Thank for any help. ?PS Is their a mini Printer that just prints to Cd/DVDS anywhere. That would be usefull :) Thanks. ...

cd drive only reads dvd, no cdrom, music cd's or data cd's.
A couple of month ago my Toshiba 5005-S504 laptop started acting up on burning cd's. I have a DVD/CD-RW drive installed in the box. Since I was configuring the system a lot then, I wanted to get a fresh installation going, which I started today. I run the ghost cd and reinstalled XP Home and all the tools. Hooked up to the internet and downloaded all the patches from Microsoft. Later I wanted to load some other programs from a cd, but it wouldn't take the cd anymore. The drive moves the cd arround a lot, never really spinning it up high for a long time and after two minutes just stops...

looking for good quality A3+ inkjet that can also print on CD's/DVD's
Hi I'm looking for a good quality A3+ inkjet that can also print on CD's/DVD's. Any suggestions? I have been seriously considering the Epson R800 as the reports Ive read say it gives outstanding print quality. The only drawback is its A4. Does anyone know if Epson are likely to do an A3 version? Thanks for any info. Ian "Ian Roberts" <sorry@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:caunhd$5in$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com... > Hi > > I'm looking for a good quality A3+ inkjet that can also print on CD's/DVD's. > > A...

Web resources about - Canon IP4000 not printing black on cd's? - comp.periphs.printers