Canon Pixma iP3000 & iP4000 - Differences..?

Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
while. I'll probably get one for myself, test it on the Vigor's USB
port  & recommend it for use on that setup if it works.

The only differences I can see between the iP3000 & iP4000 are that the
iP4000 has the parallel port & 5-ink cartridges. Are there any others
I've missed..? I've never had an inkjet before, so I don't know that
I'll notice any quality differences. Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
likely to be (much) more expensive..?

I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is
FUBAR, but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?

TIA for all advices,

Stroller.

0
Stroller

In article Stroller says...
>  Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
> likely to be (much) more expensive..?

The ip4000 uses the same 4 carts as the 3000 plus an extra photo black.

> I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
> built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is
FUBAR,

Epson

>  but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
> they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?

HP printhead on cart. Canon replaceable printhead.
0
colinco
9/15/2004 12:33:45 AM
Stroller wrote:

> Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
> Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
> since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
> while. I'll probably get one for myself, test it on the Vigor's USB
> port  & recommend it for use on that setup if it works.
>
> The only differences I can see between the iP3000 & iP4000 are that the
> iP4000 has the parallel port & 5-ink cartridges. Are there any others
> I've missed..? I've never had an inkjet before, so I don't know that
> I'll notice any quality differences. Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
> likely to be (much) more expensive..?
>
> I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
> built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is
> FUBAR, but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
> they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?
>
> TIA for all advices,
>
> Stroller.

Going by the Canon features & specifications sheets distributed to dealers
recently, the iP4000 is also supposed to be slightly faster (25 ppm
black/17 ppm colour) than the iP3000 (22 ppm/15ppm). Other than that, the
specs are much the same . The 1P3000's print head has a 1600 nozzle print
head while the iP4000 has 1856 nozzles (both 1200 dpi spacing). As you
noted, the iP4000 also has the "photo black" dye cartridge in addition to
the black pigment and cyan, yellow and magenta dye cartridges.

I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
(though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand picked
to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
tempted to consider buying one...

Al Preston

0
aprestn5
9/15/2004 2:57:13 AM
aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message news:<dcO1d.20774$KU5.17685@edtnps89>...
> Stroller wrote:
>
> > Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
> > Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
> > since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
> > while....
>
> ...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
> (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand picked
> to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
> tempted to consider buying one...

Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?

TIA,

Stroller.
0
joe
9/15/2004 8:49:02 AM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 02:57:13 GMT, aprestn5 wrote:
>  The 1P3000's print head has a 1600 nozzle print
>  head while the iP4000 has 1856 nozzles (both 1200 dpi spacing). As you
>  noted, the iP4000 also has the "photo black" dye cartridge in addition to
>  the black pigment and cyan, yellow and magenta dye cartridges.

Yes - if you have more colors, you need extra nozzles for it, too:

1 color (mycb): 256 nozzles each
1 black: 832 nozzles!?

Regards
Martin
0
Martin
9/15/2004 9:06:44 AM
In article Martin Trautmann says...
> Yes - if you have more colors, you need extra nozzles for it, too:
>
> 1 color (mycb): 256 nozzles each
> 1 black: 832 nozzles!?

colours don't all have same number of nozzles
"Nozzle Text: Black: 320, Color: 512 x 2 (C, M), 256 x 2 (Y, Bk) Total
Nozzles: 1856"
0
colinco
9/15/2004 11:10:42 AM
On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:10:42 +1200, colinco wrote:
>  In article Martin Trautmann says...
> > Yes - if you have more colors, you need extra nozzles for it, too:
> >
> > 1 color (mycb): 256 nozzles each
> > 1 black: 832 nozzles!?
> >

>  colours don't all have same number of nozzles
>  "Nozzle Text: Black: 320, Color: 512 x 2 (C, M), 256 x 2 (Y, Bk) Total
>  Nozzles: 1856"

ah, thanks, I doubted that it was that many text-black.
Martin
0
Martin
9/15/2004 11:20:09 AM
It is because they are made by Canon I WOULD buy one! I have printers by all
the major players,an would buy Canon over any of them,in most cases!I read
your last post and was just set to tell you to buy the ip3000!
"Stroller" <joe.stroller@gmail.com> wrote in message
> aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
> > Stroller wrote:
> >
> > > Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
> > > Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
> > > since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
> > > while....
> >
> > ...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite
good,
> > (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
picked
> > to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
> > tempted to consider buying one...
>
> Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
> if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?
>
> TIA,
>
> Stroller.

0
Douglas
9/15/2004 11:13:01 PM
"aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
> Stroller wrote:
>
>> Whilst making my posting of an hour ago I noticed mention of these
>> Canon Pixma printers on the group. I've been reading more about them
>> since, and they look exactly what I've been after for myself for a
>> while. I'll probably get one for myself, test it on the Vigor's USB
>> port  & recommend it for use on that setup if it works.
>>
>> The only differences I can see between the iP3000 & iP4000 are that the
>> iP4000 has the parallel port & 5-ink cartridges. Are there any others
>> I've missed..? I've never had an inkjet before, so I don't know that
>> I'll notice any quality differences. Are the iP4000's cartridge sets
>> likely to be (much) more expensive..?
>>
>> I understand that some brands (one brand?) of inkjet have the nozzles
>> built-in to the printer, so if they clog permanently the printer is
>> FUBAR, but that Canon build the nozzles into the cartridge, or that
>> they're otherwise replaceable. Is this the case..?
>>
>> TIA for all advices,
>>
>> Stroller.
>
> Going by the Canon features & specifications sheets distributed to dealers
> recently, the iP4000 is also supposed to be slightly faster (25 ppm
> black/17 ppm colour) than the iP3000 (22 ppm/15ppm). Other than that, the
> specs are much the same . The 1P3000's print head has a 1600 nozzle print
> head while the iP4000 has 1856 nozzles (both 1200 dpi spacing). As you
> noted, the iP4000 also has the "photo black" dye cartridge in addition to
> the black pigment and cyan, yellow and magenta dye cartridges.
>
> I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
> (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand picked
> to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon, I'd be
> tempted to consider buying one...

I have seen just general prints (not hand picked) and they are *very* good!
Least expensive ink costs, good quality product, great warranty (next day
replacement), why would you not pick Canon

0
PC
9/16/2004 1:37:45 AM
Stroller wrote:

> aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
>>
>> ...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite
>> good, (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
>> picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
>> I'd be tempted to consider buying one...
>
> Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
> if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?
> TIA,
>
> Stroller.

I didn't say -you- shouldn't consider one, just that _I_ wouldn't. My
concern with Canon is their limited driver availability; Canon provides
drivers only for Windows and Mac, and third party drivers for their
printers that I've come across tend not to support newer features.
Other brands fare much better in this regard.

Al

0
aprestn5
9/16/2004 5:12:25 AM
PC Medic wrote:

> "aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
>> (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
>> picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
>> I'd be tempted to consider buying one...
>>

> I have seen just general prints (not hand picked) and they are *very*
> good! Least expensive ink costs, good quality product, great warranty
> (next day replacement), why would you not pick Canon

They don't supply drivers for my OS, nor do they support development of
third party drivers. One or the other of those (or both) are available for
most other brands, particularly HP, Epson and, to some extent, Lexmark. If
Canon drivers were to become available, I would then consider buying one.

Al
0
aprestn5
9/16/2004 5:31:11 AM
On 2004-09-16 06:12:25 +0100, aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> said:

> Stroller wrote:
>
>> aprestn5 <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> ...I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite
>>> good, (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
>>> picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
>>> I'd be tempted to consider buying one...
>>
>> Might I enquire what your concerns with Canon are..? Since the specs
>> if these printers are so good, why *shouldn't* I be considering one..?
>> TIA,
>>
>> Stroller.
>
> I didn't say -you- shouldn't consider one, just that _I_ wouldn't. My
> concern with Canon is their limited driver availability; Canon provides
> drivers only for Windows and Mac, and third party drivers for their
> printers that I've come across tend not to support newer features.
> Other brands fare much better in this regard.

Cool. I don't print from Linux, but I have a networked postscript HP
LJ4 should I ever wish to do so. I've  experienced the Global Macintosh
Driver Shortage in the past, so was rather pleased to see that Canon
covered these printers in that regard. I'll order one of these today.

Stroller.

0
Stroller
9/16/2004 7:59:14 AM
I have the iP4000 and whilst I am only a 'point and click' Photo taker, I am
amazed at the quality of print I get from the printer. On Sunday last, I
printed 89 4' x 6' Glossy prints on Cartridge World 210gsm Glossy photo
paper and 12 A4 prints on Cartridge World 270gsm High Gloss Photo paper and
was 'gobsmacked by the results. The ink level monitor (although only an
approximation) still shows the cartridges to be full. The duplex systems
works perfectly too!

regards
Dave
> PC Medic wrote:
>

>> "aprestn5" <aprestn5@telus.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> I've seen some prints made with these printers and they are quite good,
>>> (though, since they were produced by Canon, they may have been hand
>>> picked to emphasize the quality). Were these printers not made by Canon,
>>> I'd be tempted to consider buying one...
>>>

>> I have seen just general prints (not hand picked) and they are *very*
>> good! Least expensive ink costs, good quality product, great warranty
>> (next day replacement), why would you not pick Canon
>
> They don't supply drivers for my OS, nor do they support development of
> third party drivers. One or the other of those (or both) are available for
> most other brands, particularly HP, Epson and, to some extent, Lexmark. If
> Canon drivers were to become available, I would then consider buying one.
>
> Al

0
Stick
9/18/2004 5:45:49 AM
Does the IP3000 and 4000 still use separate ink tanks which are
refillable? Do they have a 'chip' in them like Epson?  Does the 4000
allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?
0
josh3010
9/19/2004 7:39:06 AM
"Josh" <josh3010@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Does the IP3000 and 4000 still use separate ink tanks which are
> refillable?

Yes,

Do they have a 'chip' in them like Epson?

No,

  Does the 4000 allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?

Yes,

regards
Dave

0
Stick
9/19/2004 7:53:23 AM
>   Does the 4000 allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?
>
> Yes,
>
> regards
> Dave

We need to qualify that answer: The North American models of the ip3000 and
ip4000 DO NOT allow for direct CD/DVD printing.  The same was the case for
the i860 (North American) which did not vs the i865 (everywhere else) which
would print direct.

Cheers,

Jeff H

0
Jeff
9/19/2004 4:52:17 PM
josh3010@hotmail.com (Josh) wrote in message news:<6923e56d.0409182339.1c3f2fce@posting.google.com>...
> Does the IP3000 and 4000 still use separate ink tanks which are
> refillable? Do they have a 'chip' in them like Epson?  Does the 4000
> allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?

As per the other reply - all the answers to this are the right ones!
Separate ink tanks, no chip (ink level is detected optically), and
cd-printing.

I have two wishes about this unit:
 - that worked with the Netgear PS-121 printer server I bought to go
with it
 - that I could get it to print CDs from Adobe apps on my Mac, instead
of having to use the bundled CD-printing application
but those are just nitpicks - I can't complain about this unit at all.
Undoubtedly, now that I've bought one, Canon will next week announce a
network model.

Bought mine from eBuyer, choosing their standard 3 - 4 day delivery
service, and it arrived the next day.  :D

Stroller.
0
stroller
9/19/2004 5:43:52 PM
"Stick Stickus" <dclincattiscalidotcodotuk> wrote in message

> "Josh" <josh3010@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Does the IP3000 and 4000 still use separate ink tanks which are
>> refillable?
>
> Yes,
>
> Do they have a 'chip' in them like Epson?
>
> No,
>
>  Does the 4000 allow printing on the surface of CDs/DVDs?
>
> Yes,

Note that the CD/DVD printing feature is only available in select countries
due to licensing issues.

0
PC
9/19/2004 7:40:37 PM
Sorry to veer slightly off topic...

Can anyone who has one of these ip3000 printers tell me ...

Is there a paper cartridge for loading the paper at the back of the
printer unity ?

I see it mentioned in the documentation but mine did not include it.

It is a terrific printer. I used to have Epson color 740 and 760 and
this is so far ahead.

I also love the duplex double sided printing !!

--
Howard
0
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:59:32 +0100, Howard9 wrote:
>  Is there a paper cartridge for loading the paper at the back of the
>  printer unity ?

read the other postings:
it's on the front

>  I see it mentioned in the documentation but mine did not include it.

Check once again

Regards
Martin
0
Martin
9/22/2004 8:50:04 AM
In article <slrncl2f5s.qfl.t-use@ID-685.user.individual.de>, t-
use@gmx.net says...
> On Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:59:32 +0100, Howard9 wrote:
> >  Is there a paper cartridge for loading the paper at the back of the
> >  printer unity ?
>
> read the other postings:
> it's on the front
>
> >  I see it mentioned in the documentation but mine did not include it.
>
> Check once again
>
> Regards
> Martin

Martin - thanks for the comment but as I posted to the other thread I am
sitting in front of the printer now and this is not the case...

Could you have a look at the other thread please ?  as I don't wish to
irritate regulars by continuing this one :)

Thanks :)
--
Howard
0

0
Groggy
9/25/2004 7:17:39 AM
Older Epson printers prior to the Intelledge cartridges fit this
request, as do newer Canon printers, which use the individual
cartridges.  They are apparently very easy to refill.

Generic Epson cartridges (new, filled with ink) for the older workhorses
(640/740/800/850) sell on the internet very inexpensively.

Art

Groggy wrote:

> Unfortunately penniless, I need a new printer that must be very cheap and
> whose cartridges can be refilled without the risk of malfunction. Does
> anyone have any info? Thanks to all.
> Rico

0
Arthur
9/25/2004 9:29:31 AM
On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 09:29:31 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net> wrote:

>newer Canon printers, which use the individual
>cartridges.  They are apparently very easy to refill.

I can vouch for that. My Canon 560 is a breeze to fill compared with my previous
Epsons (600 and 480). The main diference being that with the epson, the entire
cartridge contains a sponge, so the ink has to be dribbled in slowly. And you
cant' see what you're doing too well either.
With the Canon, the cartrige is split about 60/40, with the 40% completely
empty. This is where you squirt the ink, as fast as you like. They are clear
plastic too, so it's esy to see what you're doing.

I guess the 560 doesn't fit in with the OP's 'very cheap' criteria, but cheaper
models may well have the same system.

--
Chris Pollard

CG Internet caf�, Tagum City, Philippines
http://www.cginternet.net
0
Christopher
9/25/2004 10:15:16 AM
"Groggy" <gbloro@tin.it> wrote in message news:<nY85d.387$85.19335@news3.tin.it>...
> Unfortunately penniless, I need a new printer that must be very cheap and
> whose cartridges can be refilled without the risk of malfunction. Does
> anyone have any info? Thanks to all.
> Rico

If you want very cheap, and don't need colour, get a dotmatrix. The
ribbons last for thousands of pages and cost a few dollars. The text
is sharp, a 24 pin can even do graphics (180 dpi). You can find these
free with little effort. However, they are slow and noisy.

Laser printers like HP4 and 5 can be bought in working order for $50.
Toner refills are much cheaper than ink per page. 600 dpi or better, 8
ppm or faster. If you want a smaller one, try the HP "P" (personal)
models; the "L"s (light) have problems (though the 4L is fine, the 5L
and 6L are subject to jams).
0
7ibehx001
9/25/2004 3:46:32 PM
Stick Stickus wrote : in a thread on the Canon IP4000 which he owns :

>> On Sunday last, I printed 89 4' x 6' Glossy prints on Cartridge
>> World 210gsm Glossy photo paper and 12 A4 prints on Cartridge World
>> 270gsm High Gloss Photo paper

>> The ink level monitor (although only an approximation) still shows
>> the cartridges to be full. The duplex systems works perfectly too!

Uhh ... that sounds like a fair amount of printing to me : wouldn't you
expect to see a noticeable decline in ink levels ? Sounds almost too
good to be true.

regards, J. Cod

linux & canon pixma ip3000 printer
My hp deskjet 920c broke during printjob (second hp printer with lifespan of less then 2 yrs) and i would like to buy a new color inktjet printer and preferbaly not HP, the inktcartridges cost to much too. The Canon Pixma IP3000 caught my eye and it will probably will work very good with winxp, but i have dual boot pc (winxp & fedora core3) and i would like to use the printer with linux as well. If i can't print photos or cd-roms with linux thats ok, but i would very much like to print colored text and agenda (from korganizer) and the likes. The information about canon printers ...

Warning about Canon PIXMA iP3000/iP4000 series printers
We were considering buying a Canon PIXMA iP3000 because these are the first printers we have ever seen that finally quit ripping people off quite so much on ink. The whole printer ink jet market, until now, has been a scam, making you spend an average of $40-$60 buy new print heads and cartridges for all three colors because one color runs out. That is like having to replace your gas tank, fuel pump, radiator, water pump, windshield washer tank and wiper motors, because you ran out of gas or got too low on radiator fluid. Oh, and by the way, there are no gauges, or transparent tanks, and no ...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer
X-No-Archive My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley (rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible "repair shop" problem.) Before I bring this to a shop and spend probably the amount I paid for it brand-new, is there a way of fi...

Canon Pixma IP3000 printer ink question
Basically, I`m looking at getting one of these printers, but spotted 2 different black ink carts, the BCI-3eBk and the BCI-6. The BCI-3eBK seems to be slightly more expensive than the BCI-6. Anyone got a clue what the difference is? Also, I was looking at an Epson R200 - is there any reason I should be panicking to cancel my order for a Canon and go for the Epson? -- What am I selling on ebay right now? http://tinyurl.com/38yjc Earn money reading emails! http://tinyurl.com/2pcgm Simon Finnigan wrote: >Basically, I`m looking at getting one of these printers, but spotted 2 >different black ink carts, the BCI-3eBk and the BCI-6. The BCI-3eBK seems >to be slightly more expensive than the BCI-6. Anyone got a clue what the >difference is? Yes, but it doesn't apply to the iP3000, which uses four ink tanks, specifically the BCI-3eBk and three BCI-6(c/m/y). The BCI-6b is a dye-based photo black. The BCI-3eBk is a pigment-based black for text. The 3e is larger and has a higher ink volume. >Also, I was looking at an Epson R200 - is there any reason I should be >panicking to cancel my order for a Canon and go for the Epson? Perhaps...have you considered the life expectancy of the printhead in the Canon printer and replacement cost? Personally I prefer the HP models because the printhead is part of the ink cartridge. You never have to worry about clogging or failure. I had a Canon i850 (previous model to the i...

No canon pixma ip3000 printer drivers for linux
Canon does not have linux driver for pixma ip3000 printer. I tried i250 driver but it didn't work. When I ask for a test page nothing happens: the printer's light starts blinking, but no page came out. Is there a workaround? Is there a open source linux driver for Canon pixma ip3000 printer? ...

Using both parallel & USB on same printer (Canon ip4000)
I have my Canon ip4000 on my home network with a parallel port print server appliance. It works great except that I cannot use the ink monitor software. Is there a configuration that would allow me to monitor the ink via the USB port, but print through the network, without encountering conflicts or print errors? How does the printer manage requests coming in on both ports? The port that I currently have defined in my driver settings is an "LPR" port. - David On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:04:14 -0400, "David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote: >I have my Canon ip4000 on my home network with a parallel port print server >appliance. It works great except that I cannot use the ink monitor >software. > >Is there a configuration that would allow me to monitor the ink via the USB >port, but print through the network, without encountering conflicts or print >errors? How does the printer manage requests coming in on both ports? > >The port that I currently have defined in my driver settings is an "LPR" >port. > > - David > > For the Parallel connection to show results in the ink monitor software you need to use a bi-directional cable. KM "David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<bIydnTX3WZQWJOjcRVn-og@comcast.com>... > Is there a configuration that would allow me to monitor t...

Canon PIXMA iP4000 & Warning about Paper Aging
Scary to me is the warning in the Quick Start Guide on page 12, "Do not leave photo paper, such as Photo Paper Pro, in the Cassette for a long time. This may cause paper discoloration due to natural aging.". I don't know what their definition of "A long time" is, but I thought the current crop of photo papers shouldn't show any visible signs of aging over more years than I have left on this planet, at age 71. "Dan Wenz" <djwenz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:bZydna8Uz6v-ix3cRVn-sw@comcast.com... > Scary to me is the warning in the Quick Start Guide on page 12, "Do not > leave photo paper, such as Photo Paper Pro, in the Cassette for a long > time. This may cause paper discoloration due to natural aging.". I don't > know what their definition of "A long time" is, but I thought the current > crop of photo papers shouldn't show any visible signs of aging over more > years than I have left on this planet, at age 71. The photos once printed on the paper will, but this is because of the fact that they will usually be framed and protected after printing. Paper that is left sitting in the printer sheet feed for extended periods is generally exposed to bright light from desk lamps, dust and other airborne contaminants (cigarette smoke being a killer (no pun intended). These contaminants can effect the emulsion on the paper causing a less than ideal int...

UPDATE: "Problem with Canon Pixma ip4000 printer"
I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty. And yes, it came with a new print head and new ink. So, thanks to this excellent customer service, my opinion on Canon has done a 180: (reversing my earlier, knee-jerk vow) I will definitely continue buying Canon products. Shnaggletooth shnaggletooth@yahoo.com wrote: >I received a brand-new (refurbished? not sure) ip4000 Pixma tonight >from Canon, even though my defective one was two weeks past warranty. >And yes, it came with a new p...

Canon Pixma IP4000, when does printer use BCI-3EBK cart ink
As subject Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is selected? Only when draft is selected? Thanks in advance tHatDudeUK wrote: > As subject > > Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is > selected? Only when draft is selected? > > Thanks in advance Normally it uses BCI3e all the time except when printing photos, so when photo or glossy paper is selected. When you print text and business documents with graphics. tHatDudeUK wrote: >As subject > >Is it only when plain paper is selected? Only when greyscale is selected? >Only when draft is selected? > >Thanks in advance > > > > Here is a quick test you can perform. Use a photo with quite a bit of black areas. Open the cover on the printer and use a small screwdriver to hold down the cover interlock so that you can actually see the ink being put on the paper. Print the same photo using different paper modes. The BCI-3 black (pigmented black) is deposited with a much wider path than the BCI-6 black. Note also that the BCI-3 black appears to be used only when in plain paper mode. All other modes use only the BCI-6 black. You will see this when observing the printing operation. The other thing you can do is to wet your fingertip and move it across the edge of the printed area onto the unprinted area. You will see a difference in the amount of ink smearing. -- Ron Cohen...

Re: Using both parallel & USB on same printer (Canon ip4000) Success!
Success! I defined my Canon ip4000 twice -- once as a USB printer; and once as an LPR printer that uses ethernet to a print server appliance to the printer's parallel port. It appears to work fine, with no conflicts. The USB interface is considerably faster, AND it enables me to use the Canon printer monitor software to monitor the ink supply. The LPR interface enables me to use the printer from any computer in the house, albeit without the ink monitoring. For the USB, I am using a 16-foot Belkin USB2 cable (gold contacts; 20-gauge conductors) that I got from amazon.com for $7.95. Because I was going for a long cable, I thought I should buy a high quality cable in order to maximize my chances of success. It works fine with no problems. [No, this is not an ad. I just thought that it might be a success factor]. If your print server appliance uses the printer's USB port, instead, you might want to try the reverse: i.e., connecting the printer's parallel port to a computer's parallel port. Make sure to use a bi-directional parallel cable with all the pins wired. - David "David D." <daviddiamond.remove-if-not-spam@comcast.net> wrote in message news:rZydnVp-X-wrd-bcRVn-oQ@comcast.com... > > "Franzy" <franzy@non.existant> wrote in message > news:417bc5d8$0$36860$e4fe514c@news.xs4all.nl... > > > > Does not work for me either since I have a USB print server, so th...

Russian website which had a service manual for the Canon Pixma IP3000 bubblejet printer.
Hello all. Some of the long standing subscribers to this news group will probably remember details of this Russian website. I'm probably going back more than one year. Thanks in advance for that info. BTW, any other source of supply will be appreciated. Sylvain. If you fancy a good ol' browse have a look on the old boards, the one before this came into being... here's the link http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/forum39.html... Note:This is read only davy Did you mean this one - 'Service Manuals' (http://www.eserviceinfo.com/) "...

Canon Pixma iP4000 & 5000 CD/DVD printing -In Canada
Can anyone comment -for certain- if the new Cannon Pixma line (4000/5000) is able to print directly on CD/DVD's? There seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty about this. Originally it seemed as though only UK models did, but now I've heard rumors that the North America versions can as well.... Anyone own one of these, and can say for sure? TIA, Bertrand I have both the ip3000 and ip4000...neither can print to CD. Frustrating because you can see where the CD tray would fit into it :-( Jeff H <bertrandr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1098898862.559168.9280@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Can anyone comment -for certain- if the new Cannon Pixma line > (4000/5000) is able to print directly on CD/DVD's? > > There seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty about this. Originally it > seemed as though only UK models did, but now I've heard rumors that the > North America versions can as well.... > Anyone own one of these, and can say for sure? > > TIA, > > Bertrand > Thanks for the reply, When & where did you buy them? How are the printers otherwise, I hear they are quite a good (value)... BR <bertrandr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1098898862.559168.9280@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Can anyone comment -for certain- if the new Cannon Pixma line > (4000/5000) is able to print directly on CD/DVD's? > > There seems to be quite a bit of u...

My Canon Pixma IP3000 printer will no longer feed glossy photo paper.
Hello all. As per subject line. It happened previously a short time ago, and I did what is recommended in the IP4000 manual (pdf., downloaded.): Press "Resume button", allow LED light to flash 3 times, release button, It worked then. When I tried the printer again, after a few weeks, the photo paper would not feed. I re-tried cleaning the paper feed rollers, as above, but that didn't work this time. I've had this printer just before it stopped becoming available in the UK, but I haven't used it very much. Will it help to grease or oil some mechanical parts...

Which Printer Should I buy? Canon IP4000, Canon I865, Epson R300
Which is the best printer? Main points below. 1. Accuracy when printing to CD/DVD (My old Epson 900 was a devil to set up) going off center and needed adjusting. 2. Economy. Although I can get the ink for about the same cost which printer performs best. 3. Print quality Photo / CD DVD To put it into perspective here are the best prices I have found for the printers so far. 1. Epson R300 �84.95 2. Canon I865 �119.99 3. Canon IP4000 �99.99 Thanks Mike I have the R300 and love it. I do not love the price of the replacement ink. I have printed about 200 DVD and CD labels with it and have not had a problem. The software that comes with the printer has performed well. Check out the options for re-inking of this machine and you will be pleased with it. I believe that Canon has the same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for Epson, I don't know about Canon. Pipermedic In article pipermedic says... > I believe that Canon has the > same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount > of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for > Epson, I don't know about Canon. > > > Canon carts don't have chips. If you like R300 why not consider R200? Same thing without frills. Definitely Epson R300. But you said: "2. Economy. Although I can get th...

Canon PIXMA ip3000
For the interested, CompUSA now has the Canon ip3000; the ip4000 can't be too far behind in availability. ...

Canon Catrige 41 & 40 question Canon Pixma MP160 ink out
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0102_01CAC82E.D2499950 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I manually refilled these 2 carts and they work fine, but the printer = monitor still indicates ink is out. Is there a chip inside the carts that need to be reset? Can I reset them through the printer software? Thanks in advance ------=_NextPart_000_0102_01CAC82E.D2499950 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DO...

Canon PIXMA iP4000
Is this printer available on-line in the UK yet and if so where? Martin ���� On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 13:39:35 +0100, Martin ���� wrote: > Is this printer available on-line in the UK yet and if so where? It's announced for August in the US - and I have not seen it there yet. For Europe it's announced for September - I was told about a first delivery in Germany on 2004-09-05. HTH, Martin PS: oops, sorry for you that you have a name like this ;-) I just noticed because it exploded my introduction line. On 9 Aug 2004 08:23:14 GMT, Martin Trautmann <t-use@gmx...

Canon PIXMA iP4000
I can't seem to find the drivers for my Canon PIXMA iP4000. Has anyone set it up sucessfully? I'm using kernel 2.6.11 on a Gentoo box. "hyperfusion" <jonathanho15@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1114820232.945735.55130@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I can't seem to find the drivers for my Canon PIXMA iP4000. Has >anyone > set it up sucessfully? > I'm using kernel 2.6.11 on a Gentoo box. > Canon has drivers for Linux on the japanese website. It's quite a PITA to find them, but go for www.canon.jp and search for an edit-box, that might be a search box and try: "PIXMA linux" They use mostly RPMs - is there something like debian's "alien" command for portage? HTH, Gernot hyperfusion wrote: > I can't seem to find the drivers for my Canon PIXMA iP4000. Has anyone > set it up sucessfully? > I'm using kernel 2.6.11 on a Gentoo box. Why not use Turboprint for linux www.turboprint.de I use all the time and just bombs out cups all the time, and the support for all most every printer out there. ...

canon pixma ip4000
welps, I had the occasion to print some pics for my mom but unfornately, it was for rancid gossip involving my cousins. anyways.... the pixma ip4000 did a really good job of printing the pictures on plain paper under windows98 pmview version and was surprisingly fast (much faster than the old epson color600 was, that one took forever to print a color pic). I just wish it were so for the OS/2 version of pmview. it wasn't very good. it looked like a cross between 16bit & 256bit colors On Sun, 08 May 2005 18:07:33 -0400, Dilbert Firestorm wrote: :>welps,...

Ubuntu && Gutenprint && Canon-S300
Hallo, habe mal die Ubuntu-Linux-Distri ausprobiert (beieingefleischten Win-DAUs;-)). Ausgerechnet der Drucker von Canon (S-300), der dort vorOrt war,wird nicht unterst�tzt. Laut Doku vom July 2006 ist dort in dem Projekt ein solcher Treiber aufgef�hrt, namens bjc-s300. Auf der Ubuntu-Installation ist der allerdings nicht installiert. AufOS-X wollte ich mal via Installation des gutenprint das ganze Geraffel mir genauer anschauen, aber die Installation brach beim Kompilieren ab. :( (Waruml�sst configure das Kompilieren dann ohne Murren zu?!) Wo bekomme ich denn nun diese Treiber f�r den...

Ubuntu && gutenprint && Canon S300
Hello, I have installed a Ubuntu-Linux and have to use the Canon S-300 printer. On the Ubuntu there is no driver for the S300. gutenprint is installed in version 5.0, but the drivers that are mentioned in the documentation (bjc-s300) is not contained in the distrubution! Where to get the driver from? TIA, Oliver Oliver Bandel wrote: > Hello, > > I have installed a Ubuntu-Linux and have to use the Canon S-300 printer. > > On the Ubuntu there is no driver for the S300. > > gutenprint is installed in version 5.0, but the drivers > that are mentioned in the d...

Canon Pixma iP4500 vs Canon Pixma iP4600
Are these two the same printers except the 4600 being the next year's model of the 4500? Thanks RDOC wrote: > Are these two the same printers except the 4600 being the next year's > model of the 4500? Thanks > I think you will find them to be very similar. There is, however, one significant difference. The 4500 ink tanks are readily available from a range of suppliers as the chips on the ink tanks have been " cracked." If you buy the 4600 you are currently tied in to buying only genuine Canon replacement ink tanks. There is a significant price diff...

Web resources about - Canon Pixma iP3000 & iP4000 - Differences..? - comp.periphs.printers

Sky rail: can we tell the difference between petitions and parody any more?
Residential campaigns in Melbourne are frequently beyond parody, so how can we tell when a petition is serious or satire? It's not easy these ...

Canada-U.S. alliance 'unbreakable,' despite airstrike differences: Carter - CTV News
The military ties between the United States and Canada remain unbreakable, despite Canada's change to its anti-ISIS contributions, the U.S. secretary ...

"What is the difference between hair and fur?"
Answer: "Hair and fur are the same thing." SA: Why is it then that, for example, my dog's fur is three inches long and it never seems to grow ...

Amazon and Netflix have one major difference when it comes to finding their next hit series
Amazon and Netflix are both finding success at producing their original content, but the way they go about it is totally different. For one, ...

How Small Shifts Make a Big Difference
... is essential to good forecasting. This breathtaking video is a good example of how small shifts in viewpoint and time lapses make a big difference ...

Aurilia: Osich, Strickland could make 'huge difference' in Giants' bullpen
... Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Aurilia: Osich, Strickland could make 'huge difference' ...

EXCLUSIVE: Prominent Dem Finally Explains Difference Between Democrats And Socialists
EXCLUSIVE: Prominent Dem Finally Explains Difference Between Democrats And Socialists