Canon Pixma iP4500 printer head problem

My Pixma iP4500 is 6 months old.  I used it one day, and all was fine
then the next time I turned it on, it says there is no printer head o
the one installed is incompatible with the printer.  Have trie
reinstalling the printer drivers x3 without success.  Printer doe
between 500 -1,000 pages per week most weeks, mostly black, but som
coloured stuff of late.  Also tried cleaning the head gently with
tissue. Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated

0
xandrag47

Since it's only 6 months old I'd certainly get in touch with the plac
of purchase or maybe contact Canon support at least, since it is unde
warranty.

Removing the head to clean the contacts on the side very carefully wit
piece of kitchen towel paper and then refit and give another try migh
be worth a try.

Something else you can try.... unplug the Printer power cord for
about three minutes then try again just in case the printer CPU i
corrupted through to mains borne interference, the spikes you get i
thunderstorms, high winds when the  overhead power lines starts archin
and flashing, this type of interference often locks TV sky and cabl
boxes up.

I have the IP5000 it's way out of guarantee and still going strong no
heavily used as yours mind.

dav

0
davy
<head>
</head>
well send you a new one or at the least send you a new printhead.&nbsp; If
you have been using the crap ink then that is the reason you are having
the problem.</font><br>
davy wrote:
  <pre wrap="">Since it's only 6 months old I'd certainly get in touch with the place
of purchase or maybe contact Canon support at least, since it is under
warranty.

Removing the head to clean the contacts on the side very carefully with
piece of kitchen towel paper and then refit and give another try might
be worth a try.

Something else you can try.... unplug the Printer power cord for a
about three minutes then try again just in case the printer CPU is
corrupted through to mains borne interference, the spikes you get in
thunderstorms, high winds when the  overhead power lines starts arching
and flashing, this type of interference often locks TV sky and cable
boxes up.

I have the IP5000 it's way out of guarantee and still going strong not
heavily used as yours mind.

davy

  </pre>
0
measekite
7/14/2008 3:55:30 PM
Spoken like a true village idiot.  Canon can't void the warranty for
using compatible ink unless they PROVE it caused the failure.

measekite wrote:
> If you have always used OEM ink then Canon may well send you a new one
> or at the least send you a new printhead.  If you have been using the
> crap ink then that is the reason you are having the problem.
>
> davy wrote:
>> Since it's only 6 months old I'd certainly get in touch with the place
>> of purchase or maybe contact Canon support at least, since it is under
>> warranty.
>>
>> Removing the head to clean the contacts on the side very carefully with
>> piece of kitchen towel paper and then refit and give another try might
>> be worth a try.
>>
>> Something else you can try.... unplug the Printer power cord for a
>> about three minutes then try again just in case the printer CPU is
>> corrupted through to mains borne interference, the spikes you get in
>> thunderstorms, high winds when the  overhead power lines starts arching
>> and flashing, this type of interference often locks TV sky and cable
>> boxes up.
>>
>> I have the IP5000 it's way out of guarantee and still going strong not
>> heavily used as yours mind.
>>
>> davy

0
Michael
7/14/2008 5:53:03 PM
On Jul 14, 8:55 am, measekite <inkysti...@oem.com> wrote:
> If you have always used OEM ink then Canon may well send you a new one or at the least send you a new printhead.  If you have been using the crap ink then that is the reason you are having the problem.
> davy wrote:Since it's only 6 months old I'd certainly get in touch with the place of purchase or maybe contact Canon support at least, since it is under warranty. Removing the head to clean the contacts on the side very carefully with piece of kitchen towel paper and then refit and give another try might be worth a try. Something else you can try.... unplug the Printer power cord for a about three minutes then try again just in case the printer CPU is corrupted through to mains borne interference, the spikes you get in thunderstorms, high winds when the overhead power lines starts arching and flashing, this type of interference often locks TV sky and cable boxes up. I have the IP5000 it's way out of guarantee and still going strong not heavily used as yours mind. davy

NOT TRUE.  CANON HAS EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE.  IF IT'S THE PRINT
HEAD, THEY WILL EXCHANGE IT WITH A NEW PRINT HEAD.  IF IT'S THE
PRINTER, THEY WILL MAIL YOU A REFURBISHED PRINTER AND CANON WILL PAY
FOR SHIPPING BOTH WAYS.

FRANKSEKITE
P.S.  YES, I AM THE OFFSPRING OF FRANK AND MEASEKITE
0
franksekite
7/15/2008 4:43:15 AM
You may wish to remove the head and make sure the contacts between it
and the printer carriage body are clean and secure. Be careful in the
handling when you remove it.  It may be that some foreign material got
in there and the contacts aren't connecting correctly.  You can gently
clean them with a soft paper towel and some isopropyl alcohol, but do
not place a lot of pressure on them.

If that doesn't correct the issue, the head in your printer is called a
semi-permanent type, meaning they do indeed wear out over time and can
be user replaced.  If it has failed, (and you are getting quite a heavy
service from the printer, particularly the black head) you probably can
have it replaced under warranty.  If you are out of th warranty period,
the heads are available online at a number of places.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
   I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

       http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

xandrag47 wrote:
> My Pixma iP4500 is 6 months old.  I used it one day, and all was fine,
> then the next time I turned it on, it says there is no printer head or
> the one installed is incompatible with the printer.  Have tried
> reinstalling the printer drivers x3 without success.  Printer does
> between 500 -1,000 pages per week most weeks, mostly black, but some
> coloured stuff of late.  Also tried cleaning the head gently with a
> tissue. Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated.

0
Arthur
7/15/2008 10:22:48 AM
Arthur Entlich wrote:
> You may wish to remove the head and make sure the contacts between it
> and the printer carriage body are clean and secure. Be careful in the
> handling when you remove it.  It may be that some foreign material got
> in there and the contacts aren't connecting correctly.  You can gently
> clean them with a soft paper towel and some isopropyl alcohol, but do
> not place a lot of pressure on them.
>
> If that doesn't correct the issue, the head in your printer is called a
> semi-permanent type, meaning they do indeed wear out over time and can
> be user replaced.  If it has failed, (and you are getting quite a heavy
> service from the printer, particularly the black head) you probably can
> have it replaced under warranty.  If you are out of th warranty period,
> the heads are available online at a number of places.
>
> Art

For this model of printer in the UK you will discover that a replacement
printhead costs the same or more than a brand new printer.
0
John
7/15/2008 6:26:28 PM

John Chapman wrote:
> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>> You may wish to remove the head and make sure the contacts between it
>> and the printer carriage body are clean and secure. Be careful in the
>> handling when you remove it.  It may be that some foreign material
>> got in there and the contacts aren't connecting correctly.  You can
>> gently clean them with a soft paper towel and some isopropyl alcohol,
>> but do not place a lot of pressure on them.
>>
>> If that doesn't correct the issue, the head in your printer is called
>> a semi-permanent type, meaning they do indeed wear out over time and
>> can be user replaced.  If it has failed, (and you are getting quite a
>> heavy service from the printer, particularly the black head) you
>> probably can have it replaced under warranty.  If you are out of th
>> warranty period, the heads are available online at a number of places.
>>
>> Art
>
> For this model of printer in the UK you will discover that a replacement
> printhead costs the same or more than a brand new printer.

I told the guy to buy a new printer a few days ago and use Canon ink for
the best trouble free results.
0
measekite
7/15/2008 9:30:54 PM
measekite wrote:

> John Chapman wrote:
>> Arthur Entlich wrote:
>>> You may wish to remove the head and make sure the contacts between it
>>> and the printer carriage body are clean and secure. Be careful in the
>>> handling when you remove it.  It may be that some foreign material
>>> got in there and the contacts aren't connecting correctly.  You can
>>> gently clean them with a soft paper towel and some isopropyl alcohol,
>>> but do not place a lot of pressure on them.
>>>
>>> If that doesn't correct the issue, the head in your printer is called
>>> a semi-permanent type, meaning they do indeed wear out over time and
>>> can be user replaced.  If it has failed, (and you are getting quite a
>>> heavy service from the printer, particularly the black head) you
>>> probably can have it replaced under warranty.  If you are out of th
>>> warranty period, the heads are available online at a number of places.
>>>
>>> Art
>>
>> For this model of printer in the UK you will discover that a replacement
>> printhead costs the same or more than a brand new printer.
>
> I told the guy to buy a new printer a few days ago and use Canon ink for
> the best trouble free results.

Maybe one day you'll realize no one listens to your lame advice.
0
Michael
7/16/2008 1:26:47 AM

Michael Johnson wrote:
> measekite wrote:
>>

>> John Chapman wrote:

>>> For this model of printer in the UK you will discover that a
>>> replacement
>>> printhead costs the same or more than a brand new printer.
>>
>> I told the guy to buy a new printer a few days ago and use Canon ink
>> for the best trouble free results.
>
> Maybe one day you'll realize no one listens to your lame advice.

It is quite apparent Junior that they do and you do not like it.  But
that is the way the cartridge crumbles.
0
measekite
7/16/2008 6:06:33 AM
measekite wrote:

> Michael Johnson wrote:
>> measekite wrote:

>>> I told the guy to buy a new printer a few days ago and use Canon ink
>>> for the best trouble free results.
>>
>> Maybe one day you'll realize no one listens to your lame advice.
>
> It is quite apparent Junior that they do and you do not like it.  But
> that is the way the cartridge crumbles.

Keep on hallucinating.
0
Michael
7/16/2008 11:11:23 AM
measekite wrote:

> Michael Johnson wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> I told the guy to buy a new printer a few days ago and use Canon ink
>>> for the best trouble free results.
>>

>> Maybe one day you'll realize no one listens to your lame advice.
>

> It is quite apparent Junior that they do and you do not like it.

No one listens to your insane diatribes about something you know nothing
at all about.
You're a austrian fascist bigoted atheist lying pig.
Do yourself a favor and get lost.
0
FB
7/16/2008 3:21:30 PM
Michael Johnson wrote:
> measekite wrote:
>>

>> Michael Johnson wrote:

>>> Maybe one day you'll realize no one listens to your lame advice.
>>
>> It is quite apparent Junior that they do and you do not like it.  But
>> that is the way the cartridge crumbles.
>
> Keep on hallucinating.

Or folks could stop replying, as that's the only time/way I see his posts.

--
john mcwilliams
0
Michael Johnson (cds@erols.com) writes:
> measekite wrote:
>>

>> Michael Johnson wrote:

>>> Maybe one day you'll realize no one listens to your lame advice.
>>
>> It is quite apparent Junior that they do and you do not like it.  But
>> that is the way the cartridge crumbles.
>
> Keep on hallucinating.

I'd defintely say he has a "head problem".

Brendan
0
ck183