Canon printer, can I reduce the amount of black ink being used?

I couldn't find the paper I used to buy for making flyers and
brochures. So, I got another paper that is very nice, but isn't quite
as compatible with my printer. It is a glossy flyer type paper.

It prints fine except for black, which pools since it isn't being
absorbed well enough.

I managed to solve the problem with photos by reducing the opacity of
the photo to 75%. Then it prints fine.

What I need to figure out is how to adjust text in a word processor
file. I managed to fix today's problem by changing the black text to
dark blue. That comes out fine. But I would still like the option of
printing black.

Draft uses less ink, but messes up my text. Not good for advertising
flyers.

When I go to maintenance, there is a custom settings option that looks
like I can adjust ink drying time, but it is greyed out, and I cannot
change those settings.

Is there a way to tell the printer to use less of the black ink? I
have tried most of the paper settings to see if any of them would give
better results. No luck.

The paper is actually better than my old paper. Nicer feel, shinier,
and one third the cost. So, I would love to keep using this paper.

Any suggestions?

0
friesian

friesian@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:
> I couldn't find the paper I used to buy for making flyers and
> brochures. So, I got another paper that is very nice, but isn't quite
> as compatible with my printer. It is a glossy flyer type paper.
>
> It prints fine except for black, which pools since it isn't being
> absorbed well enough.
>
> I managed to solve the problem with photos by reducing the opacity of
> the photo to 75%. Then it prints fine.
>
> What I need to figure out is how to adjust text in a word processor
> file. I managed to fix today's problem by changing the black text to
> dark blue. That comes out fine. But I would still like the option of
> printing black.
>
> Draft uses less ink, but messes up my text. Not good for advertising
> flyers.
>
> When I go to maintenance, there is a custom settings option that looks
> like I can adjust ink drying time, but it is greyed out, and I cannot
> change those settings.
>
> Is there a way to tell the printer to use less of the black ink?

It is in the manual
> have tried most of the paper settings to see if any of them would give
> better results. No luck.
>
> The paper is actually better than my old paper. Nicer feel, shinier,
> and one third the cost. So, I would love to keep using this paper.
>
> Any suggestions?

0
measekite
2/15/2007 4:01:11 PM
On Feb 15, 8:01 am, measekite <inkysti...@oem.com> wrote:
> fries...@zoocrewphoto.com wrote:
> > I couldn't find the paper I used to buy for making flyers and
> > brochures. So, I got another paper that is very nice, but isn't quite
> > as compatible with my printer. It is a glossy flyer type paper.
>
> > It prints fine except for black, which pools since it isn't being
> > absorbed well enough.
>
> > I managed to solve the problem with photos by reducing the opacity of
> > the photo to 75%. Then it prints fine.
>
> > What I need to figure out is how to adjust text in a word processor
> > file. I managed to fix today's problem by changing the black text to
> > dark blue. That comes out fine. But I would still like the option of
> > printing black.
>
> > Draft uses less ink, but messes up my text. Not good for advertising
> > flyers.
>
> > When I go to maintenance, there is a custom settings option that looks
> > like I can adjust ink drying time, but it is greyed out, and I cannot
> > change those settings.
>
> > Is there a way to tell the printer to use less of the black ink?
>
> It is in the manual

Sorry. I should have mentioned this. I bought my printers used. No
manual. I tried looking on the website, but I could not find my kind
of printer. They had compact printers and large format printers, but
the regular inkjet printers were all the pixma models. I have the I
and S series (i560, i850, s820, s9000).

0
friesian
2/15/2007 11:37:16 PM
The Canon black is compatible with many papers, but as you have discovered,
not all. I use 28# copy paper for flyers, and it works well with the Canon
blacks.

You don't say what model you have. But if it also has photo-black ink, try
using that on your glossy paper. All you need to do is select one of the
photo paper settings and it'll use the photo black instead of the regular
black.

<friesian@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote in message
> I couldn't find the paper I used to buy for making flyers and
> brochures. So, I got another paper that is very nice, but isn't quite
> as compatible with my printer. It is a glossy flyer type paper.
>
> It prints fine except for black, which pools since it isn't being
> absorbed well enough.
>
> I managed to solve the problem with photos by reducing the opacity of
> the photo to 75%. Then it prints fine.
>
> What I need to figure out is how to adjust text in a word processor
> file. I managed to fix today's problem by changing the black text to
> dark blue. That comes out fine. But I would still like the option of
> printing black.
>
> Draft uses less ink, but messes up my text. Not good for advertising
> flyers.
>
> When I go to maintenance, there is a custom settings option that looks
> like I can adjust ink drying time, but it is greyed out, and I cannot
> change those settings.
>
> Is there a way to tell the printer to use less of the black ink? I
> have tried most of the paper settings to see if any of them would give
> better results. No luck.
>
> The paper is actually better than my old paper. Nicer feel, shinier,
> and one third the cost. So, I would love to keep using this paper.
>
> Any suggestions?

0
Dan
2/16/2007 12:00:56 AM
Another trick: use 80% gray for text instead of black.

--
Yianni
9jir_2006@yahoo.gr

<friesian@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote in message

> I couldn't find the paper I used to buy for making flyers and
> brochures. So, I got another paper that is very nice, but isn't quite
> as compatible with my printer. It is a glossy flyer type paper.
>
> It prints fine except for black, which pools since it isn't being
> absorbed well enough.
>
> I managed to solve the problem with photos by reducing the opacity of
> the photo to 75%. Then it prints fine.
>
> What I need to figure out is how to adjust text in a word processor
> file. I managed to fix today's problem by changing the black text to
> dark blue. That comes out fine. But I would still like the option of
> printing black.
>
> Draft uses less ink, but messes up my text. Not good for advertising
> flyers.
>
> When I go to maintenance, there is a custom settings option that looks
> like I can adjust ink drying time, but it is greyed out, and I cannot
> change those settings.
>
> Is there a way to tell the printer to use less of the black ink? I
> have tried most of the paper settings to see if any of them would give
> better results. No luck.
>
> The paper is actually better than my old paper. Nicer feel, shinier,
> and one third the cost. So, I would love to keep using this paper.
>
> Any suggestions?

0
Yianni
2/16/2007 1:38:37 AM
On Feb 15, 5:38 pm, "Yianni" <9jir_2...@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> Another trick: use 80% gray for text instead of black.

How would I do this?

My word processor gives a limited choice of colors. I don't see any
way there to choose a new color or alter a color.

0
friesian
2/16/2007 2:51:09 AM
Please just post what model printer you are using.

If it uses photo inks, then all you need to do is select photo paper when
you print. Or, select plain paper depending on what paper you are using. One
or the other will fix your problem.

> On Feb 15, 5:38 pm, "Yianni" <9jir_2...@yahoo.gr> wrote:
> > Another trick: use 80% gray for text instead of black.
> >

> How would I do this?
>
> My word processor gives a limited choice of colors. I don't see any
> way there to choose a new color or alter a color.

0
Dan
2/16/2007 2:09:02 PM
I supposed the word as the word processor. I don't know how to for other
word processors.

--
Yianni
9jir_2006@yahoo.gr
(Remove the number nine from my email address to send me email)

<friesian@zoocrewphoto.com> wrote in message

> On Feb 15, 5:38 pm, "Yianni" <9jir_2...@yahoo.gr> wrote:
>> Another trick: use 80% gray for text instead of black.
>>

> How would I do this?
>
> My word processor gives a limited choice of colors. I don't see any
> way there to choose a new color or alter a color.

0
Yianni

Printer Ink

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

How does the printer choose which black ink to use when it has pigment and dye based black ??
I just ordered a Canon iP4500, which has two black cartridges, a dye based one and a larger pigment based one, for text. When you print out a page that is mostly text, but has colour on it as well, does it still use the pigment based ink? What about if you print out a colour map from Google Maps, for example? What about a PDF file of a magazine page, which is text, but with a light coloured background (maybe with a pattern)? Would it just use the dye based ink for these types of page, or does it somehow know what is type or not? I could imagine that being easy with a Po...

Best printer that can use OEM ink?
My beloved EPSON Color Stylus won't print yellow any more. It has served me well in the past 10 years. It is time for me to buy a new color printer. My only requirement is that I can refill with OEM ink. I know that many new printers use computer chip to prevent people from doing that. Any suggestion? I think you mean NON-OEM! OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer.In other words if you have an Epson printer,you use Epson brand cartridges. "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message news:ptvce.1655$7F4.91@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net... > My bel...

Can I use other bluetooth adapter for canon printer.
Hi, I just recieve canon aii in one. I bought it through online with macbook pro for $100 rebate. I know, It is my mistake didn't make sure my printer not built in bluetooth. I try to buy the bluetooth adapter and turns out it's about $75. I'm paying $25 for my printer and paying $75 for adapter is kind of crazy, I found some of other manufactur's bluetooth adapter and it's cheep. so, I wander if i use other adapter can I use wireless way, or only canon adapter will work? anyone tried it? Thank you. ...

Printer sharing over wireless using Printopia
We are trying to share a printer for use by iPad users. The printer is dire= ctly connected to a Mac running Printopia. Both the Mac and all of the iPad= s are connected to the same WLAN. It's working fine at one location, but no= t at all at another location (iPads cannot see the printer). The location i= t works at has standalone APs (mostly 1131AGs). The site it does not work a= t has lightweight APs (4402 WLC running 6.0.199.4, also with 1131AGs). The = controller has multicast enabled, has multicast mode set to 'multicast', an= d has a multicast address set to 239.21.0....

i960 Canon printer...what other brands can I use for photos
Just curious because Costco sells other photo paper here but not the canon brand. I think they sell the Kodak and Epson photo paper there. TIA >Just curious because Costco sells other photo paper here but not the canon >brand. >I think they sell the Kodak and Epson photo paper there. I use Epson papers with my i960 with great success. My favorite among the Epson varieties is ColorLife. I am partial to semi gloss or lustre papers. YMMV John On 27 Apr 2004 23:53:40 GMT, jmoorets@aol.com (JMooreTS) wrote: >>Just curious because Costco sells other ph...

Black ink Printer/Copier with no chip that can be refilled??
I'm looking for a new jet printer copier that only uses only Black ink, that does not have a chip that forces cartridge change and that I can inject ink into? Know of any new model like this? Thanks for any info. "jc" <wildman@noclient.net> wrote in message news:9639d2a6-d840-46c1-8f12-0288b1d803ef@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com... > I'm looking for a new jet printer copier that only uses only Black > ink, that does not have a chip that forces cartridge change and that I > can inject ink into? > > Know of any new model like this? Nowa...

Can Canon i860 use both black inks in same print?
Having separate black ink tanks optimized for both text and photos seems like a great idea, but can the i860 use them both in the same print? I have in mind a document with imbedded photos such as a family newsletter, a tri-fold sales brochure, etc. Have any of you new i860 owners tried this? Thanks, GS ...

printer won't use black ink with this PostScript
The below PS on several printers prints as expected either black toner or CMY process black toner. However on one printer it prints only CMY process black toner. The printer can print with black toner as we have a PDF file that works but I can not share this file. Thanks! Ed %! /Helvetica findfont 36 scalefont setfont 36 140 moveto 0 0 0 1 setcmykcolor (Hello Black 0 0 0 1) show 36 172 moveto 1 1 1 0 setcmykcolor (Hello CMY Black 1 1 1 0) show % These are used in 3 color (RGB HSB) to CMYK conversion %{} dup setblackgeneration setundercolorremoval {pop 1} dup setblackgeneration setunderc...

Is there a tabloid inkjet printer than can take waterproof black ink?
Looking for a printer that can print a tabloid size paper, using a waterproof (black only) inkjet cartridge. I know that Lexmark has a waterproof black ink, just not sure about the ptinter thanks! "Sparks" <Sparks@sparks.com> wrote in message news:37q3315q1pehvi5m3tio0lmu0fkkpld6pb@4ax.com... > Looking for a printer that can print a tabloid size paper, using a > waterproof (black only) inkjet cartridge. You might take a look at the DeskJet 9650 or the DeskJet 9300 series printers. They use a pigmented black that is pretty waterfast once dry. It will print...

Can I use Lexmark ink in a HP C4280 Photosmart printer?
I just bought an HP C4280 and I plan to re-fill the cartridges when they get low. I have a refill kit that I bought for a Lexmark X125 which works great in the Lexmark. I would like to know if this ink will work in the HP printer or could it damage the printer? thanks, G.M. Durrence (To reply remove -nospam) ...

Can You Use those 7-Series Canon Cartridges in Printers Sold in the US?
In Japan, Canon sells the "Pixus" line of inkjets that looks the same on the outside as their American versions. For instance, the Pixus iP3100 looks like the iP3000, while the iP4100 looks like the iP4000. Of course, the 7-series ink is not even available here, but I was just wondering anyway. Are the cartridges interchangeable between the siblings? Thanks. ...

Web resources about - Canon printer, can I reduce the amount of black ink being used? - comp.periphs.printers

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

The 3D printer carving out a new curriculum
With Australia's technical expertise slowly whittling away, the team behind this gadget wants to take schools back to the basics of manufacturing ...

ASIC investigating company after inventor of world's largest 3D printer left out of pocket
... Australian Securities and Investments Commission investigates the administration of a company that tried to sell the world's largest 3D printer. ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $45, 9′ MFi Lightning Cable $6, iPhone 6/s Plus Leather Folio ...
... Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Daily Deals: Brother Monochrome Laser Printer ...

Doro PDF printer adds color conversion, page rotation controls
Lightweight virtual PDF printer Doro has been updated with new color conversion and page rotation settings. If the default "UseDeviceIndependentColor" ...