Canon S530D, black ink won't stay primed - SOLVED!

A while back (3/18) I posted here about problems I had with a
newly-purchased Canon S530D.  Every time the printer had been idle for more
than an hour or even less, I had to go through a black ink cleaning cycle or
else the ink would typically fade to nothingness after the first few head
passes.  Color inks were never a problem.  Various posters suggested turning
the printer off after each use (which forces a cleaning on powerup anyway, I
suppose), though I thought that was not reasonable.  Because of the nature
of the symptoms, it seemed more like a capillary action problem rather than
a clog to me (for what my mental model is worth).

Struggled with the status quo for far too long, then when everyone else was
out of the house on vacation, I took the printer to the local authorized
Canon center.  They confirmed the behavior.  Under warranty, got a new
printhead, and some sort of capping/spittoon/cleaning assembly (what, I'm
not sure).  Bottom line, it now prints first time, every time.

Just thought a happy ending story might be nice.

Dave

0
Dave

my Canon printer won't let me select the black ink cartridge
I'd appreciate it if someone could help me with a problem I'm having with my Canon Pixma 250 printer. The colour cartridge has nearly run out, but the black and white cartridge still has plenty of ink in it. As I only want to print out some letters, I've tried selecting 'use black ink cartridge only' (or whatever the wording is). But then when I try to print, I get a message that looks something like this: "This document will print using the following cartridge: COLOR Your over-ride command has been disabled" This isn't the exact wor...

Canon S600 printer won't print in black
Hello everyone, I've got a Canon S600 inkjet printer which was working perfectly fine until a couple of days ago in which i was rearranging my computer station to another room. All that was done was that the printer was disconnected and moved temporarily. Upon re-connection, I noticed that anything I try to print in black (ie. Word document or web pages) doesn't print. Other colors including grey print fine. I've checked that all the ink cartridges are full, tried reinstalling/updating the drivers etc. but nothing. If anyone has any insight in what the problem might...

printer won't use black ink with this PostScript
The below PS on several printers prints as expected either black toner or CMY process black toner. However on one printer it prints only CMY process black toner. The printer can print with black toner as we have a PDF file that works but I can not share this file. Thanks! Ed %! /Helvetica findfont 36 scalefont setfont 36 140 moveto 0 0 0 1 setcmykcolor (Hello Black 0 0 0 1) show 36 172 moveto 1 1 1 0 setcmykcolor (Hello CMY Black 1 1 1 0) show % These are used in 3 color (RGB HSB) to CMYK conversion %{} dup setblackgeneration setundercolorremoval {pop 1} dup setblackgeneration setunderc...

Canon i560 printer won't print black
I have an i560 printer. It has suddenly stopped printing black. I have the service manual, but it doesn't give any circuit diagrams. Can anyone help? I looked on the internet, and a number of people have had this problem, but most of the answers tell them to replace the ink cartridge - as if that was not the first thing anyone intelligent would do! I have played around with it, and I find that if I plug it into my laptop it prints a Word text document perfectly - so the black cartidge and printhead must be O.K. When I use my RISC PC it doesn't print, so it would appear that the prin...

Canon i560 printer won't print black #2
My Canon i560 has suddenly stopped printing black. I've looked on the internet, and quite a few people seem to have had this happen, and the only suggestion is "change the black ink cartridge" - which is what anyone with any intelligence would do anyway! It won't print black text from Impression on my RISC PC, but when I plug the printer into my laptop with the USB it prints out "Word" documents perfectly. I suspect this is because the RISC PC prints documents as graphics, and it has stopped printing graphics. Anyway, it proves that there is no fault with the blac...

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

Printer won't print, messages won't delete in WindowsXP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro with a Lexmark Z22 printer. Often when I try to print, the printing notification widow pops up. As usual, I hear "Printing started," but nothing happens while the seconds are ticking away on the clock. If I try to cancel the job, then check the printing queue, the job is still there, marked "Deleting." The only way to get it to print is to restart, then it works (until the next time). The only way to delete the unsuccessful print job is to go into task manager under Processes and try to guess which process to delete. This works, when I g...

Files won't display, directory won't delete, drive won't format
After having a few slow-access problems, I ran a virus scan (McAfee) on my D: drive (second HDD, 15Gb). To my surprise, the scan listed a directory and files which I didn't recognise: I didn't note any full pathnames, but a typical one was something like D:\RECYCLER\S-1-5-21... Dd159.zip . I wondered if this was anything to do with the Recycle bin, despite the fact that I'd emptied it immediately before the scan. No viruses were detected, but when I ran an error check I got the message "the scan could not be completed". As a precaution I decided to ba...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "hibernate hangs...ethernet disabled...no network...shutdown hangs...CD won't write...printer won't print"
"I wanted to upgrade but couldn't, for reasons not understood having to do with repository stuff. So I installed new ubuntu in dual boot with old ubuntu. Installed OK on my old e-machine. Then I decided to hibernate. Hung. Turned off power. Now the ethernet card is disabled on boot and I cannot get to network. Even if I ifconfig the card. Also, shutdown hangs like hibernate did. I have no clue how to fix this. Fortunately, old ubuntu still comes up and gets to network or I wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, cd rw won't write and printer won't print since ...

Printer won't print black?
Hi, I have an Epson printer. When I changed out the black cartridge this time it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly, uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have discovered this morning that it may not be the printer. I installed a different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document from yesterday. Did not print in black ink??? I printed the sa...

printer won't print black
I have an HP photosmart 7550 and I just changed the black ink cartridge and printed a calibration page and it looked fine. I went to print a Word document and the print head was moving like it is printing but the page came out blank. I changed cartridges and it happened again, so I don't think it's the cartridge (unless I happened to have 2 bad carts, but what is the chance of that?). The HP toolbox says the ink level is full. Any ideas? Thanks!! Eddie G "Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote: >I have an HP photosmart 7550 and...

can't stay still and fs won't start
1. Now! when I put the brake on I expect to kinda stay still. I just downloaded the C-133 from AVSIM and I cannot get it to stay still. Can anyone tell me how to tweak the cfg file to achieve the static state?? 2. The same c-133 will not load from the create flight screen!! I have had to start with the cessna and then load the thing after followed by saving it so that I have a saved game from which to commence. Flightsim does everything properly up the fly now point then simply sghuts down. This is the only aeroplane it does it with. Any idea??? TVM folks. ...

Canon i850 won't print black
I got this printer last Christmas for printing photos from our digital camera, and after using it only a dozen times or so over the past 6 month it stopped printing black. I suspect it's a clogged nozzel from lack of use. I tried the "cleaning" and "deep cleaning" options in the printer settings, but to no avail. I'm not sure what to do next, and would greatly appreciatie any suggestions/advice anyone has to offer. Thanks for any help. -Pat "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message news:ct5Fc.11164$wY5.3944@attbi_s54... > I got this printer last Christmas for printing photos from our digital > camera, and after using it only a dozen times or so over the past 6 month it > stopped printing black. I suspect it's a clogged nozzel from lack of use. > I tried the "cleaning" and "deep cleaning" options in the printer settings, > but to no avail. I'm not sure what to do next, and would greatly > appreciatie any suggestions/advice anyone has to offer. > > Thanks for any help. -Pat You can try soaking the print head in ammonia solution (Windex would work fine) Thanks. I'll give it a try. "Noozer" <dontspam@me.here> wrote in message news:sA5Fc.928562$Pk3.5421@pd7tw1no... > > "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote in message > news:ct5Fc.11164$wY5.3944@attbi_s54... > > I...

Canon i550 won't print black
Greeetings, I have searched the group and can't find the answer. My Canon i550, which has never been used much, suddenly won't print black.. Since it had not been used a while I assumed a clogged print head. I did the head cleaning several times, the deep cleaing - nothing. I got a new ink cartridge - nothing. It prints in color fine. What could the problem be? Thanks, Bevin B. As you assumed in the first place, it is clogged Solution? Buy a new head, new printer or send inkjet head somewhere for professional cleaning. -- Adriatic <bevinb@telus.net> wrote in message news:1121227050.685048.216040@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > Greeetings, I have searched the group and can't find the answer. > My Canon i550, which has never been used much, suddenly won't print > black.. Since it had not been used a while I assumed a clogged print > head. I did the head cleaning several times, the deep cleaing - > nothing. I got a new ink cartridge - nothing. It prints in color fine. > What could the problem be? > > Thanks, Bevin B. > Did you recently install an ink cartridge? You might have broken off the pin that inserts into the cartridge. Carefully remove and check, you can use the color side of the print head as a reference point. Other than that, it is a new print head or printer, per Adriatic's suggestion. bevinb@telus.net wrote: > Greeetings, I have s...

Canon Printer Won't Stalls On Graphics
The is a Multipass 2500 unit [similar to BJ 4100 engine]. I thought I solved this a few weeks ago but problem returned. Units prints characters fine. Demo page print [firmware in unit - not software] includes a graphic element which causes print head to lose its place or "skip", i.e., head parks on the right side while paper advances jerkily. This problem came clear while cleaning in the past. Most recently, I thought it was a slight misalignment of the "wiper" pad but I see no joy now. Again, prints character based pages perfectly. Graphics glitch limits usefulness as fax machine. Any idea what causes this? -- Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me. I'd check to see if the head is binding on the rails. Sometimes the friction is great enough to cause a problem. "John Keiser" <john.keiser2@verizon.net> wrote in message news:bvuuih$113tf5$1@ID-128410.news.uni-berlin.de... > > The is a Multipass 2500 unit [similar to BJ 4100 engine]. I thought I > solved this a few weeks ago but problem returned. > > Units prints characters fine. > > Demo page print [firmware in unit - not software] includes a graphic element > which causes print head to lose its place or "skip", i.e., head parks on the > right side while paper advances jerkily. > > This problem came clear while cleaning in the past. Most recently, I > thought it was a slight misalignment of the &qu...

Canon S530D won't remember settings
Every time I print, the default is "plain paper" etc. How can I get it to remember the settings I prefer? I'm using OS 9.1 -- Curtis ...

Canon printer won't recognize network
My my Canon MX882 had been connected to my network. The setup was easy after I bought my printer. It displayed the network, I entered the passcode and it work! However, I recently replaced my router and have a new access point code. Desktop, laptop, iPad and e-reader all connected. But the printer doesn't show the network! It shows all the networks in the building, my neighbor's for instance, but not my network. I tried manually entering it, but that doesn't work. I'm at a loss... any ideas? Thanks - From: "dcblogs administrator" <dcblogs@gmail.com>...

T/T screen stays dim and won't shut off
Hi folks, I have a Tungsten T. Has worked fine for about 2-3 years. Screen is now dim and won't brighten up. I know that there's a weird dim-screen mode that I've never figured out, but it always brightens back up when holding down the power button. Unfortunately, holding down the power button is not brightening up the screen, nor does the power button turn it on or off all of a sudden. Any ideas? Much obliged... -- Josh in Syracuse Hello Josh, could it be that your on-off switch is not functioning? This switch is responsible for switching it on and ...

Canon BJC4650 won't accept black cartridge
I have two Canon printers: BJC4200 (A4) and BJC4650 (A3). Lately the BJC4650 won't accept a BC20 monochrome cartridge. It will accept colour cartridges, both photo and regular. The BJC4200 will accept the same BC20 cartridge that the BJC4650 rejects. I have heard that there is some counter that needs re-setting, but I don't know how, and the retailer who sold me the printer is long gone. Does anyone know of a solution? I have to buy a new A3 inkjet printer. It will be used for black printing only, never colour. I would welcome suggestions from personal experience, both ...

3570 Canon Networked Printer won't print
I'm trying to setup a 3570 Canon Printer on my network. The printer and workstations are all in the same subnet. When trying to print a test page to the printer's ip address I can see that the job goes into the print queue (from a windows 2000 machine) for a second and has a job status of "printing". It then goes out of the queue as if the job completed and was sent to the printer. During this time the 3570 Canon Printer makes some noise as if the print job is going to print (for about 1 to 2 seconds) and then stops. Nothing comes out of the printer. I get no e...

HP Deskjet printer won't print black
I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine. I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. Thanks Carol wrote: > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine. > > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. > > Thanks Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles? "Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:36f36d84.0407200645.c934c86@posting.google.com... > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine. Start by disconnecting the computer and doing a simple diagnostic print as shown at: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N1017E If this prints a simple nozzle pattern of black, cyan, magenta and yellow then the problem may lie with your driver. Regards, Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP MS MVP Printing/Imaging googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote in message news:<36f36d84.0407200645.c934c86@...

Canon i850 won't print black text
My Canon i850 won't print black text (but will print other colors) despite having cleaned (soaked) the print head with ammonia and performed serveral deep cleanings. I performed a nozzle check, and the black grid (at the top) as well as solid black bars A and F did not print. However, black bars G, L and M did print. Unless patterns G, L and M are generated by different nozzles, it doesn't appear to a clogged nozzle. So I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions? I'm rather dismayed that I'm having this problem as the printer is not that old (~ 6 months) and has not been used much. Thanks for any help. I appreciate it. Pat On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 20:00:24 GMT, "Pat" <pkelecy@insightbb*no_spam*.com> wrote: >My Canon i850 won't print black text (but will print other colors) despite >having cleaned (soaked) the print head with ammonia and performed serveral >deep cleanings. > >I performed a nozzle check, and the black grid (at the top) as well as solid >black bars A and F did not print. However, black bars G, L and M did print. >Unless patterns G, L and M are generated by different nozzles, it doesn't >appear to a clogged nozzle. > >So I'm at a loss as to what to try next. Any suggestions? I'm rather >dismayed that I'm having this problem as the printer is not that old (~ 6 >months) and has not been used much. > >Thanks for a...

Why won't my Canon waste ink error reset ?
Hi I own a Canon S630. I was getting 8 orange flashing lights. I went on the Canon website and it indicated a "Waste tank error" message. I googled and found a site telling me what to do. I had to get the ink pad out, clean it, dry it and put it back, then reset the printer. I did all that with success it seems, I started printing stuff. Then 2 days later my printer was blinking 7 or 8 times one morning. I reset it several times using different combinations, unplugged it but I can't get it to work. I am hoping for a final tip before to trash it. I am suspecting a dir...

Canon i850 won't print black... and worse
The first part is pretty self-explanatory. Colors are great, but any text or solid black doesn't come out at all. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that I was out of the country for six months, so it sat around and maybe the ink dried up? Anyway I spent a fortune buying all new ink cartridges, thinking that would fix the problem, but no cigar. However here's the weird ("worse") part... when I go to the maintenance tab and click either "Clean" or "Deep clean" nothing prints at all! I just hear the servos spinning and things buzzin...

Brand new Canon IP3000 won't print black
I just bought an IP3000 from Newegg and it won't print any black ink. Any ideas? Michael Shaffer wrote: > I just bought an IP3000 from Newegg and it won't print any black ink. > Any ideas? BTW, when I was taking the labels off the ink cartridges I accidentally took the entire label off the blank and yellow ones.. I didn't realize it was just the orange part. Return it and get another. And if you decide to do that get an IP4000 instead. It is worth the difference. Michael Shaffer wrote: > I just bought an IP3000 from Newegg and it won't print any black ink. > Any ideas? On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:18:59 -0400, Michael Shaffer <michaelshaffer@cox.net> wrote: >Michael Shaffer wrote: >> I just bought an IP3000 from Newegg and it won't print any black ink. >> Any ideas? > >BTW, when I was taking the labels off the ink cartridges I accidentally >took the entire label off the blank and yellow ones.. I didn't realize >it was just the orange part. The cartridge police are on their way, hide under your bed. pete wrote: > On Thu, 12 May 2005 08:18:59 -0400, Michael Shaffer <michaelshaffer@cox.net> > wrote: > > >>Michael Shaffer wrote: >> >>>I just bought an IP3000 from Newegg and it won't print any black ink. >>>Any ideas? >> >>BTW, when I was taking the labels off the ink cartridges I accidentally ...

Web resources about - Canon S530D, black ink won't stay primed - SOLVED! - comp.periphs.printers