Connecting a USB printer to an old laptop via the serial port

Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port
using a USB/serial adapter?
0
thall91739

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1
66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF

"Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port
> using a USB/serial adapter?

0
Clanger
10/17/2003 7:36:59 PM
 Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 12:28:41 -0700, thall91739@yahoo.com (Tom)
scribbled:
, I thus relpy:
>Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port
>using a USB/serial adapter?

No. USB is too complex to replicate from the legacy ports.
You might be able to get a USB PC-card adaptor, if you have Win98.

--
Gary J. Tait .  Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat
0
>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1
>66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF

The OP wants the other way round, which is impossible.

--
Gary J. Tait .  Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat
0
Gary
10/18/2003 1:07:25 AM
> "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port
> > using a USB/serial adapter?

Try this: http://tinyurl.com/rdm8

0
Johann
10/18/2003 3:21:32 AM
 Whereas On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 22:21:32 -0500, "Johann B�cker"
<j_backer@msn.com> scribbled:
, I thus relpy:

>> "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port
>> > using a USB/serial adapter?
>
>Try this: http://tinyurl.com/rdm8

Same thing, won't work. That device is to connect a serial device to a
PCs USB port.
--
Gary J. Tait .  Email is at yahoo.com ; ID:classicsat
0
Gary

Connecting a USB printer to a laptop's serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial port using a serial/usb adapter? Most adapters I've seen are serial /usb not usb/ serial. I don't think you can go the other way. Terry "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171132.544eecf9@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial > port using a serial/usb adapter? As far as I know there is no adapter to convert a serial port to USB. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- "Tom"...

Connecting to Networked Printer via USB Port
Hi, I'm a consultant at a client site with no access to their network or their printers. I tried to connect directly to one of these networked printers using the USB port on the printer. After loading and installing the printer drivers in my laptop (for a Laserjet 4350dtn), I would get a printing error messagewhen trying to print a document. What I'm trying to figure out is whether this is an installation problem in my laptop, or if what I'm trying to do creates a conflict at the printer level between the network connection and the USB connection. Any input would ...

HP Laserjet 6L printer connect via USB port?
I have just purchased a new HP Computer, & to my chagrin, it did not contain a parallel printer port. It does contain several USB ports. Am using Windows XP Pro. The printer I have is the HP Laserjet 6L printer that contains only a parallel printer port. Can I connect the printer using a USB to Parallel Printer Cable purchased off the shelf at Frys, or do I need a special HP cable? Also, when setting up the printer using ADD HARDWARE function of XP, do I select the "virtual usb printing" option or the parallel printing option. All info welcomed! Aaron in N. H...

USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port
i9900 printer works by USB connection. A USB 2.0 cable was connected from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any problem printing images. Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0 hub (Ultra from RadioShack). The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet. With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well. But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it prints only a half an inch of images. But the cable was connect to a USB port in the tower, it starts to print pictures. It seems that c...

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr� Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server > with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer > server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the > printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one > printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any > one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? > > Thank you Andre, Check this http://www.surecom-net.com/pd-wireless-9910sx.htm not sure if the product is available yet. Sujit ...

Serial printer to usb port?
Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port? Ed Kearns Ed Kearns <kearnser@comcast.net> wrote: > Are there converters to connect a Mac serial printer to a usb port? Yes. For example: http://keyspan.com/products/usb/USA28x/ However, unless you're attempting to use a fairly high end serial printer, you're probably better off buying a USB printer, which can easily cost less than the adapter. Also, this will probably only work for OS 9 and earlier. For OS X, if the printer also has a parallel port, you'd want to use a parallel to USB adapter. -...

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

Move document between printers / More than one printer when changing USB port
I have an annoying problem in XP. I have only one printer, but if I plug it in a different printer port - XP insists it's a differnt printer!!! Stupid XP seems to do this with all USB devices (suggestion/complaint sent to MS). So I ended up with a load of documents in a dead queue, so why can't I just move them to the correct queue? The driver etc etc is the same as it's the same actual printer!!!! -- 11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it. ...

Cannot connect to printers via "Search For Printers" in Windows 2000
When I do a Start-Search-For Printers and try to right-click and connect to the printer the endusers aren't able to connect. As a domain administrator I don't have this problem. However, if the enduser goes to start-settings-printers-add printer they CAN connect to the printers. Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem. All of our printers have been successfully listed in the Active Directory. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. ...

Connecting Mac and PC to a printer, via USB
OK, that pretty well describes what I want to do. We just bought an HP6110 All in one printer (scanner, fax machine, copier, coffee maker, etc). Currently, we have it hooked to my wife's e-Machines PC, through the USB port. USB is the only way to hook up this printer to a computer. Now, in the near future, I hope to be replacing my beige G3 with a newer Mac (though, I'm not sure when, or with what model yet). The question is, how do I hook up both computers to this printer? Does USB printer sharing work cross-platform? (I don't think it does). Can I hook them both up, using a USB h...

Interface to connect a USB printer to a parallel port
USB to Parallel port adaptors are two a penny, but with few Printers now having parallel ports it is getting difficult for us to offer printers to many RISC OS users. Does anyone know of a Parallel port to USB adaptor i.e. a computers parallel port to a printers USB port. I realise that as the adaptor would have to run a USB stack it's not an inconsequential design. I know we can recommend UniPods but for some such as a Siblius user running an A5000 there are a few downsides: cost, memory loss & not a very straight forward setup. We will often try and suggest an upgrade to a RiscPC ...

Connecting two HP50g by usb-usb or usb-serial or serial-serial
Hi I'am Manel, I wonder if connecting 2 hp50g's by USB-->SERIAL; SERIAL-->SERIAL is Posible. I have a adapter USB to SERIAL(HP) Thank you On 06/02/2010 18:13, MANELVC VC wrote: > Hi I'am Manel, > > I wonder if connecting 2 hp50g's by USB-->SERIAL; SERIAL-->SERIAL is > Posible. > > I have a adapter USB to SERIAL(HP) > > Thank you Serial to serial is possible and there is a special cable for this. Not sure how to order it from HP though. USB to USB is not possible - this is a limitation of the USB standard. -- Bruce Horrocks Surrey Eng...

Laptop USB to parallel port printer conversion question.
Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter. The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port printer cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if conversion to USB is not to pricey or complicated. What do you recommend? On 2010-11-05 23:09, ghelf wrote: > Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how > troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter. > The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port > printer cable ...

Brother Laser printer: Network or connect via USB?
I have a simple setup: A Mac powerbook with OSX 10.4, a 2Wire modem/router, a Brother 5250DN laser printer. When I connected the printer, I think I had the option of "networking" or connecting via USB. I chose the latter thinking hard connection was the simplest and most reliable option. Everything is within a few feet of one another anyway. Today, somehow I was at Brother's website and saw the possibility of upgrading the firmware. A few steps later i was told that this is only possible via network and not USB. ??? I don't really understand this in any depth, but have I...

HP All-in-One via Wireless Router with USB printer port
Hi, I own an HP PSC2210 all-in-one printer which is currently connected to my PC via USB. I now think of buying a wireless DSL Router with integrated USB printer port. Does anyone know if I can only use printer functions with the port on the router or if all functions of the PSC2210 will work that way (printing & scanning) Thanks, Olaf ...

Setting up a Printer that's connected to Serial Port 1
I have fedore core 6 installed and I want to assign a printer to Serial port 1 , What's the way of configuring it, Is it the same as the Parallel printer port ? How do I know how does linux calls the serial port 1 ? Thanks Enrique Arredondo wrote: > I have fedore core 6 installed and I want to assign a printer to Serial > port 1 , What's the way of configuring it, Is it the same as the Parallel > printer port ? How do I know how does linux calls the serial port 1 ? > > Thanks http://127.0.0.1:631 Because when you set up the printer you choose where the printer ...

HP All-in-One via Wireless Router with USB printer port #2
Hi, I own an HP PSC2210 all-in-one printer which is currently connected to my PC via USB. I now think of buying a wireless DSL Router with integrated USB printer port. Does anyone know if I can only use printer functions with the port on the router or if all functions of the PSC2210 will work that way (printing & scanning) Thanks, Olaf ...

network printing from OSX-->OS9 via serial printer port
I am trying to print from a MacG4 PowerPC w/OS 10.4.9 to an Epson Stylus Color 800 Inkjet connected via printer port (8 pin mini-din serial connection) on a beige MacG3 PowerPC w/OS 9.2.2. The computers are ethernet networked via a Linksys router. I am able to mount all of my hard drives on on any computer (I also have a G4 iMac, although this post only refers to the G4 PowerPC) including the Beige G3. For example: I have a .pdf open on my G4 PPC and i want to print it to my only printer which is attached to my G3 PPC (it is a non-USB printer..only serial port connectivity)....

Solaris 10: setting up simple LOCAL printer (connected via parallel port)?
Subject: Solaris 10: setting up simple LOCAL printer (connected via parallel port)? First, what's the NAME of the parallel port (blade 2500)? Second, all I want to do is be able to print to a LOCAL laserjet 1200; that sun printer manual (Sys-Admin-Guide--Printing--819-7355.pdf) is a freaking 300 pages long! There must be something a bit shorter that shows how to set up my non-networked super-simple situation -- I hope! (Before, I had sun service to walk me through this stuff, but these days there's no sparc-based workstations that are new enough to still be in Sun's...

reading serial port data, sending to HP printer with JetDirect card via ethernet
I think this is possible, but I don't know how to forward data read from an RS-232 port to an IP-based printer connection. I'm using LabVIEW 6i, and am a beginner ( < 6 mos. hands-on use). Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated. I have an Agilent 1100 HPLC sans Chemstation. The handheld controller is OK, but it does not store ANY data, so whatever is on the screen at the time is all you get. I can print the current screen using a softkey on the controller, and the data for the print job is sent through the RS-232 port on back of the detector. A second task (easy) is just...

With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing se
With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. Again I have all OS X Macs with printer sharing set to on. I am able to print from one Mac to another via sharing. What about the PC ? -- http://bergenbulldogradio.blogspot.com/ In article <il9Yg.1193$6D3.1191@trnddc01>, Marshall <notmkatzman@verizon.net> wrote: > With a home wireless network should I be able to print documents from my > PC laptop on to a printer that I have set up to share via my ethernet. > Again I have ...

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seems that the printer server didn't pass data back to my laptop? Thanks for any suggestions! -mike- <johndoe_rider@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1119894720.500131.110780@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... > I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB > Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the > printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer > status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). I believe this is a common problem with printer servers. Before you buy you have to check two things: a) That it supports your printer. b) How well it supports your printer. The lack of support for the "back channel" is quite common. "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be> wrote in message news:xlXve.131568$Qy4.7039020@phobos.telenet-...

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer?
I just bought a Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server to connect my USB Canon BJC-8200 printer. It works fine. I could see and print to the printer over wireless but the big problem is that there is no printer status information returned (paper out, ink empty etc...). This same printer works fine (and displayed all printer information) as a direct-connect printer or shared network printer when it was connected directly to my desktop and print from my laptop. Am I missing something? I would think that a printer server just pass data from computer to the printer and vice versa. It seem...

Connecting a printer to my wireless USB Actiontec DSL connection
Hi - can anybody help me? I have a DSL connection in which I've connected to it across the room with a wireless USB card thing. I would like to print to my printer which is too far away to run a cord to. Do I need to buy an adapter to the printer and can I use my same USB mouse looking thing that's connected to my computer (the one that runs my DSL connection) to it? My boyfried did all the connecting to the DSL modem for me but now he is a former boyfriend and I don't want to call him. Thank you. whitejag1@qwest.net (Michelle) wrote in message news:<2a508f59.0311081004...

Web resources about - Connecting a USB printer to an old laptop via the serial port - comp.periphs.printers

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Israeli Hotel U Coral Beach Club Eilat Has a Unique Way of Connecting Guests to Facebook
U Coral Beach Club Eilat, a hotel in Israel , is taking sharing vacation photos and checking in to the next level thanks to a collaboration between ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

Connecting an Arduino to a DSC 1550 Alarm Panel - YouTube
Have an old DSC-1550 (PC 1550) Alarm Panel? This video shows how to connect an Arduino to the panel, simulate a keypad, and monitor the state ...