Connecting to Networked Printer via USB Port

Hi,

I'm a consultant at a client site with no access to their network or
their printers.  I tried to connect directly to one of these networked
printers using the USB port on the printer.  After loading and
installing the printer drivers in my laptop (for a Laserjet 4350dtn),
I would get a printing error messagewhen trying to print a document.

What I'm trying to figure out is whether this is an installation
problem in my laptop, or if what I'm trying to do creates a conflict
at the printer level between the network connection and the USB
connection.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
HR

0
HReyes

In article <1177515345.609381.83590@s33g2000prh.googlegroups.com>,
 HReyes <hreyes@comporium.net> wrote:

> or if what I'm trying to do creates a conflict
> at the printer level between the network connection and the USB
> connection.

That's the one.

0
Elmo
4/25/2007 3:46:50 PM
HReyes <hreyes@comporium.net> wrote:

> I'm a consultant at a client site with no access to their network or
> their printers.  I tried to connect directly to one of these networked
> printers using the USB port on the printer.  After loading and
> installing the printer drivers in my laptop (for a Laserjet 4350dtn),
> I would get a printing error messagewhen trying to print a document.

Most LaserJets will automatically queue input from multiple ports.
That may have been disabled on that printer to prevent local use of the
printer.

Warren

Brother Laser printer: Network or connect via USB?
I have a simple setup: A Mac powerbook with OSX 10.4, a 2Wire modem/router, a Brother 5250DN laser printer. When I connected the printer, I think I had the option of "networking" or connecting via USB. I chose the latter thinking hard connection was the simplest and most reliable option. Everything is within a few feet of one another anyway. Today, somehow I was at Brother's website and saw the possibility of upgrading the firmware. A few steps later i was told that this is only possible via network and not USB. ??? I don't really understand this in any depth, but have I...

Connecting a USB printer to an old laptop via the serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port using a USB/serial adapter? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port > using a USB/serial adapter? Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 12:28:41 -0700, thall91739@yahoo.com (Tom) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >Is it possible to connect a...

HP Laserjet 6L printer connect via USB port?
I have just purchased a new HP Computer, & to my chagrin, it did not contain a parallel printer port. It does contain several USB ports. Am using Windows XP Pro. The printer I have is the HP Laserjet 6L printer that contains only a parallel printer port. Can I connect the printer using a USB to Parallel Printer Cable purchased off the shelf at Frys, or do I need a special HP cable? Also, when setting up the printer using ADD HARDWARE function of XP, do I select the "virtual usb printing" option or the parallel printing option. All info welcomed! Aaron in N. H...

USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port
i9900 printer works by USB connection. A USB 2.0 cable was connected from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any problem printing images. Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0 hub (Ultra from RadioShack). The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet. With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well. But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it prints only a half an inch of images. But the cable was connect to a USB port in the tower, it starts to print pictures. It seems that c...

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr� Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking ...

Move document between printers / More than one printer when changing USB port
I have an annoying problem in XP. I have only one printer, but if I plug it in a different printer port - XP insists it's a differnt printer!!! Stupid XP seems to do this with all USB devices (suggestion/complaint sent to MS). So I ended up with a load of documents in a dead queue, so why can't I just move them to the correct queue? The driver etc etc is the same as it's the same actual printer!!!! -- 11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com Tell a man tha...

Cannot connect to printers via "Search For Printers" in Windows 2000
When I do a Start-Search-For Printers and try to right-click and connect to the printer the endusers aren't able to connect. As a domain administrator I don't have this problem. However, if the enduser goes to start-settings-printers-add printer they CAN connect to the printers. Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem. All of our printers have been successfully listed in the Active Directory. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. ...

Connecting Mac and PC to a printer, via USB
OK, that pretty well describes what I want to do. We just bought an HP6110 All in one printer (scanner, fax machine, copier, coffee maker, etc). Currently, we have it hooked to my wife's e-Machines PC, through the USB port. USB is the only way to hook up this printer to a computer. Now, in the near future, I hope to be replacing my beige G3 with a newer Mac (though, I'm not sure when, or with what model yet). The question is, how do I hook up both computers to this printer? Does USB printer sharing work cross-platform? (I don't think it does). Can I hook them both up, using a USB h...

Interface to connect a USB printer to a parallel port
USB to Parallel port adaptors are two a penny, but with few Printers now having parallel ports it is getting difficult for us to offer printers to many RISC OS users. Does anyone know of a Parallel port to USB adaptor i.e. a computers parallel port to a printers USB port. I realise that as the adaptor would have to run a USB stack it's not an inconsequential design. I know we can recommend UniPods but for some such as a Siblius user running an A5000 there are a few downsides: cost, memory loss & not a very straight forward setup. We will often try and suggest an upgrade to a RiscPC ...

Printer trays.....network printers
Still having a problem here... If I define a Xerox printer with two Ldev nos, with data_intray=1 on one ldev, and data_intray = 4 on the other, I can send interleaved spool files to them and it works beautifully. If I remove data_intray = 4, and try to use setup_file=x.hpenv where x contains <Esc>&l4H (PCL for use lower tray), nothing works, it doesnt even rotate to landscape (understand that part). If I embed the esc sequence in the data at start it works, but thats not a viable solution. In fact if I send the tray value anything from 2 to 5, it uses bottom tray. I want t...

Network Printer no longer detected (works when I connect it using USB)
Hi, I have Brother HL-5250DN network printer hooked up to a four port LinkSys switch which is attached to a LinkSys router. It's been working great except all of a sudden the printer is no longer recognized by any of our two computers. In fact, when I try to reinstall the drivers from the CD the setup program can not detect any network printers. Any ideas? Why would this stop working all of a sudden? I have tried switching the connections. The green light on the ethernet port on the printer is on as are all the ones on the router and switch. I'd rather not go back to hooking it...

HP All-in-One via Wireless Router with USB printer port
Hi, I own an HP PSC2210 all-in-one printer which is currently connected to my PC via USB. I now think of buying a wireless DSL Router with integrated USB printer port. Does anyone know if I can only use printer functions with the port on the router or if all functions of the PSC2210 will work that way (printing & scanning) Thanks, Olaf ...

Network Printer no longer detected (works when I connect it using USB)
Hi, I have Brother HL-5250DN network printer hooked up to a four port LinkSys switch which is attached to a LinkSys router. It's been working great except all of a sudden the printer is no longer recognized by any of our two computers. In fact, when I try to reinstall the drivers from the CD the setup program can not detect any network printers. Any ideas? Why would this stop working all of a sudden? I have tried switching the connections. The green light on the ethernet port on the printer is on as are all the ones on the router and switch. I'd rather not go back to hooking it...

Connecting a USB printer to a laptop's serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial port using a serial/usb adapter? Most adapters I've seen are serial /usb not usb/ serial. I don't think you can go the other way. Terry "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171132.544eecf9@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a laptop via the serial > port using a serial/usb adapter? As far as I know there is no adapter to convert a serial port to USB. -- ---------------------------------------------------------------- "Tom"...

Web resources about - Connecting to Networked Printer via USB Port - comp.periphs.printers

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...