Dating of Canon inkjet cartridges

Thanks to responses to inquiries of eBay sellers, as well as my own
past purchases, I have been able to decode the date of manufacture of
Canon inkjet cartridges, at least for the BC-20 (large black
cartridge), the BC-21 (color cartridge), and the BCI-21 ink tanks that
go into the BC-21.

I believe that the 7-character batch number stamped on the botton of
the cardboard box contains the date of manufacture in the 2nd, 3rd, and
4th characters.  The 2nd character is the month, starting with 1 for
January, running to 9 for September.  October, November, and December
are O, N, and D.  The 3rd and 4th characters represent the year.  I
don't know what the other characters mean.  The BC-20 comes sealed in
an inner tub with a plastic-foil cover seal.  The edge of this seal
also has the batch number.

I haven't asked anyone at Canon to verify this scheme, but it has been
confirmed in several ways to my satisfaction.  For example, in February
2005 Canon replaced two bad cartridges for me with fresh stock from
Canon's warehouse.  Those three characters on these replacement boxes
were D04, which I think means they were made in December 2004.  Another
example: someone recently offered a BC-20 on eBay.  The photo shows a
very old-style box, printed in black only.  Its batch number is 1796D15
-- i.e., made in July 1996.

The style of the BC-20 boxes has changed at least five times and gives
a clue to the age of the cartridge within.  As Canon brought out new
printers that accepted this cartridge, they would add additional lines
to the list of printers on the face of the box.  The all-black box I
mentioned just above (as well as I can make out from the fuzzy photo)
has two lines listing the printers that accept the cartridge.  The
earliest red and black boxes that I have seen list 5 printers, and a
date I deduced from such a box was 7/98.  Some boxes that show 6 lines
on the face have a date of 5/99.  Other eBay sellers show photos of
boxes with 7 lines; the dates I deduced from their batch numbers were
5/00 and 7/00.  Later, Canon started listing 11 lines of printers on
the face of the box; two of these boxes have batch numbers including
N/03 and D/04.

Of course, the date of manufacture does not necessarily reveal the
useful life of a cartridge.  I have found some six- and seven-year-old
sealed cartridges that worked fine, while a few that were only three or
four years old never worked.  A thread on Google groups in Sept. 2001
contains a note by a retailer that 2 to 5% of brand new cartridges from
all manufacturers are faulty.  But aside from such rare occurrences,
the information above has helped me decide whether to buy an old
cartridge.

0
halbertm

Thank you.  I refill but occasionally need a new start.  Was always puzzled
by the date code.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

0
John
6/8/2005 2:19:59 AM
Supplement to my previously-posted observations:

A few days ago I bought a Canon BC-20 cartridge via eBay.  Its box
design is different from the ones I described before in three respects.
 (1). The box is printed in English plus four or five Asian languages,
instead of the usual English, French, and Spanish.  (2). Unlike any
boxes I have seen before, printed on the bottom of the box are the
words "Install before" in English and five Asian languages; close by is
a date, namely "2005.01", stamped just above the batch number.  (3).
The face of the box lists only four lines of printers, not 11, even
though the batch number includes D03 (indicating by my rule that the
date of manufacture was Dec. 2003), a recently-made package.

0
emelvy
--------------040407050402030502030807

emelvy wrote:

>Supplement to my previously-posted observations:
>
>A few days ago I bought a Canon BC-20 cartridge via eBay.

*
WELCOME TO EBAY* :-(

>Its box
>design is different from the ones I described before in three respects.
> (1). The box is printed in English plus four or five Asian languages,
>instead of the usual English, French, and Spanish.  (2). Unlike any
>boxes I have seen before, printed on the bottom of the box are the
>words "Install before" in English and five Asian languages; close by is
>a date, namely "2005.01", stamped just above the batch number.  (3).
>The face of the box lists only four lines of printers, not 11, even
>though the batch number includes D03 (indicating by my rule that the
>date of manufacture was Dec. 2003), a recently-made package.

--------------040407050402030502030807

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
emelvy wrote:<br>
 cite="mid1118507951.469729.251770@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Supplement to my previously-posted observations:

A few days ago I bought a Canon BC-20 cartridge via eBay.  </pre>
 cite="mid1118507951.469729.251770@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com"
 type="cite">
  <pre wrap="">Its box
design is different from the ones I described before in three respects.
 (1). The box is printed in English plus four or five Asian languages,
instead of the usual English, French, and Spanish.  (2). Unlike any
boxes I have seen before, printed on the bottom of the box are the
words "Install before" in English and five Asian languages; close by is
a date, namely "2005.01", stamped just above the batch number.  (3).
The face of the box lists only four lines of printers, not 11, even
though the batch number includes D03 (indicating by my rule that the
date of manufacture was Dec. 2003), a recently-made package.

  </pre>

--------------040407050402030502030807--
0
measekite

Expiration dates of sealed CANON printer cartridges
I just bought a sealed CANON BC21 color printer cartridge and can't find an expiration date on the box. On the bottom flap is stamped "C10A30". Is the expiration date encoded in this? rusure wrote: > I just bought a sealed CANON BC21 color printer cartridge and can't > find an expiration date on the box. On the bottom flap is stamped > "C10A30". Is the expiration date encoded in this? > I don't think Canon cartridges have expiry dates on them. On Aug 7, 2:41 pm, Ulysses777 <oh...@you.dont> wrote: > rusure wrote: > > I don't think Canon cartridges have expiry dates on them. I don't think Canon cartridges have anything to do with Commodore Business Machines. ;-) -Andrew ___ / __|__ Cottonwood BBS / / |_/ telnet://cottonwood.servebbs.com \ \__|_\ Open 24/7 -=- 50 Online Games! \___| http://hometown.aol.com/cottonwoodbbs On Aug 6, 6:32 pm, rusure <r_u_s...@mybluelight.com> wrote: > I just bought a sealed CANON BC21 color printer cartridge and can't > find an expiration date on the box. On the bottom flap is stamped > "C10A30". Is the expiration date encoded in this? Try this, to make sure it's OK still. 1. Remove the protective strip from the bottom of the cartridge. 2. Wet a paper towel (dampen) under HOT water, and hold on the print head for only a few seconds 3. If you see any black ink on the towel, you "probably" have a...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

Which Canon inkjet printer?
I currently use a Canon ip4000 ink jet printer. I would like to add another ink jet printer which performs better than ip4000. BTW, I like ip4000 but there is no reason to buy the same printer. Please advise me. TIA. Craig Craig wrote: > I currently use a Canon ip4000 ink jet printer. > I would like to add another ink jet printer which performs better than > ip4000. > BTW, I like ip4000 but there is no reason to buy the same printer. > Please advise me. TIA. Craig It would help if you would define the term "performs better". Do you want f...

Date, date date date....
Date is driving me crazy. I simply need to calculate the age of a person: this is what doesn't work: public int getAge(Person person) { long d = new java.util.Date().getTime(); long m =person.dateOfBirth().getTime(); long l=d-m; SimpleDateFormat formatter = new SimpleDateFormat("yy"); return (new Integer(formatter.format(age))).intValue(); } I'm getting 91 for a person who's born in 1983 Since getYear() is depreciated I don't like to use that I found that Calender could do the job, but how do I cast Date into Calender in an easy way? hin...

Cleaning inkjet printer cartridges
I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all inkjet printers or what? Why does the clogging produce the white lines which would imply exactly one area on the head is clogged? "Felix Oscar" <tree01@inreach.com> wrote in message news:22986a60.0408281027.24d8037@posting.google.com... >I have to use or clean my HP inkjet color cartridge every two weeks or > it will put white lines through the image. Is this just true of all > inkjet printers or what? > > Why does the c...

Refillable Inkjet cartridges for Canon
I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needle in the ink chamber and filled it. Easy. When I did the same to photo black the ink started oozing out the same time from the bottom nozzle pad. Is the a better technique? The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open. Easiest way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use them with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come with the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com "DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message news:gl46g1l69q0j0r2d3tcv5u5fc2iaai4bun@4ax.com... > I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needle in the ink chamber > and filled it. Easy. When I did the same to photo black the ink started oozing > out the same time from the bottom nozzle pad. > > Is the a better technique? "Dan G" <Dan@xxxx.com> wrote: >The hole on the bottom must be blocked when you have the top open. Easiest >way is to save the orange clips from the original Canon tanks and use them >with a rubber band to close the hole. Any decent refill kit should come with >the tools and instructions for doing this. Check out www.alotofthings.com > > >"DC" <dci@glebnomail.com> wrote in message >news:gl46g1l69q0j0r2d3tcv5u5fc2iaai4bun@4ax.com... >> I bought some refill ink for Canon i4000. I poked the needl...

Printer Ink

Ink for refilling Canon printer cartridges
About 3-4 years ago I found out you can refill printer cartridges and found a Canadian company that sold refill kits & ink. I bought a pint bottle and am just now running out, but it's been so long I have lost their contact info. The labels and instruction sheets don't have their name or number. Since I've had such good luck with their ink, I'd like to buy from them again before trying out another company. Anybody recognize this company? I remain respectful and a little bit hongry, X Guv Bob http://www.geocities.com/guvbob2003 Represented in all slander...

Canon BJC 600e inkjet printer
Where can I get print heads? I looked in Canons site and found no mention of a print head. I also need a driver that works with Windows XP Home, if there is one available. Canon only shows Windows 95, 98. Thanks for any information you can give. Don i think that is much better change the printer. "Don" <hawke121@athenet.net> wrote in message news:c1cbcdd4.0409200846.26c0b1bb@posting.google.com... > Where can I get print heads? I looked in Canons site and found no > mention of a print head. I also need a driver that works with Windows > XP Home, if there is o...

HP papers for Canon inkjet printers
Yesterday, HP premium Plus 4 x 6 papers were sale on Woot.com. Without any thought, I ordered some( I did not receive it yet). I am wondering whether HP photopapers are compatible with Canon inkjet printers or not. BTW, I went Costco to buy more Kirkland photopapers. It seems that Kirkland papers are no longer available in Costco. Is that correct? Craig Craig wrote: >Yesterday, HP premium Plus 4 x 6 papers were sale on Woot.com. >Without any thought, I ordered some( I did not receive it yet). >I am wondering whether HP photopapers are compatible with Canon...

Most Popular Canon Toner, Canon Ink Cartridges, Canon Ribbons
The Buy Toner Online sells Canon Brands Toners, Ink cartridges and Ribbons. The Buy Toner Online is an ISO 9001&140001 certified online shopping site, which provides 100 percent unconditional guarantee to the products it sells. The Buy Online Toner displays top selling products separately to enable the customer to choose their product easily without confusion. Buy Toner online sales by major Canon products are below: BJ Printers Canon BJ 5 Canon BJ 10 Canon BJ 100 Canon BJ 20 Canon BJ 200 Canon BJ 230 BJC printers Canon BJC 1000 Canon BJC 1010 Canon BJ...

two different kinds of cartridges for canon printers?
Hello, I'm sure this problem has been raised before, but I didn't find the answer when I googled for it, nor when I searched Canon's website, nor when I asked people in person. I have two Canon printers: the BJC-2000 and the BJC-4550. Both of them are supposed to take the BC-20 cartridge, which I have installed, and the BCI-21, which I have not. The problem is that the BCI-21 is very different in shape and size from the BC-20. The BCI-21, even when paired (color + black), is not quite a matchup to the BC-20. What's going on? Why do several diferent sources say that these cartridges are interchangeable? If they are interchangeable, HOW do I install the BCI-21? Thank you for all answers. Ted Shoemaker The BC-20 cartridge is an integrated printhead cartridge. The BCI-21 is a tank (available in black and tri-color) which is installed in the BC-21e printhead. You will need a BC-21e printhead to run BCI-21 cartridges. -- WeInk.com Technical Support ------------------------------------------------------ Toll Free Support: 1-888-825-0759 Toll Free Orders: 1-800-559-3465 http://www.weink.com/ Subscribe to our newsletter and get up to 20% off your order. ------------------------------------------------------ "Ted Shoemaker" <shoemakerted@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:415b5d6e_1@newspeer2.tds.net... > > Hello, > > I'm sure this problem has been raised before, but I didn&...

Canon IP8500 Inkjet Printer and Smudy inks
Picked this up last night. Printed off a few stunning shots straight out of the camera / Photoshop and even found myself awake at 2.00 am taking a few shots of a lightning storm. Printed off very well indeed and later today one of my kids when looking at the picture managed to land the tiniest tiniest bit of drool on the black foreground. When I went to rub it off, the ink left the paper and I was left with a tiny white dot. Upon further examination a damp finger can make the ink smear on the prints ( even when dry for over 12 hours)?? Is this normal? I had thought that inkjet prints were pretty robust once set? How can I protect my prints as they are in an open presentation folder, not behind glass? Finally I am currently using Kokac Ultimate Picture Paper for inkjets ( older stuff I had lying around ). Its the premium Kodac range. I have delivered amazing prints on this even though websites say the Kodac paper doesn't work too well with the newer Canons. Could this be the issue, i.e would Canon paper stop the smudging? Thanks for any advice. From inital thoughts this looks like one hell of a printer Cheers Ged There are basically two type of photo papers available for consumer inkjets. The first is known as Swellable Polymer or SP for short. Kodak Ultima (note the spelling) is an example of this type of paper. The coating helps to control ink fading due to out gassing of the inks, but the downside to this type of paper is...

Canon Pixma Ip4300 Photo Inkjet Printer
Canon Pixma iP3500 Photo Printer (2170B002) Price:$99.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000V2O8NM Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000V2O8NM Canon Pixma iP4500 Photo Inkjet Printer (2171B002) Price:$129.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000V2MK8C Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000V2MK8C Canon CLI-8 and PGI-5 Ink Outfit for The Canon Pixma Printer - Canon ACANCLI84K1 Price:$149.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B00125KHVY Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B00125KHVY Canon...

why 2 black ink cartridges on Canon inkjet ?
Hello, Why do some Canon inkjet printers have two black ink cartridges? Thanks, T.I. "Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote in message news:2sySh.3874$SK3.324@trnddc03... > Hello, > > Why do some Canon inkjet printers have two black ink cartridges? > > Thanks, > T.I. > I'm not sure about Canon printers, but my Epson has two black cartridges, one matte black, the other photo black. I assume it the same for the Canon. One's pigment... that's the larger tank used for text... the other is dye based for phot...

inks for Canon I860 Color Inkjet Printer
I have the Canon I860 printer. The original Canon Inks that came with the printer produced excellent color prints. When the cartridges were depleted , I replaced them with generic cartridges from China that cost between $2 & $3. each. The results were TERRIBLE. Not knowing the problem was the ink or the printer, I tossed out all of the generics & inserted genuine Canon brand that cost approx 4 times as much. The results with the Canon were excellent and as good as the original prints made when the printer was first installed. NOW, I am prepared to purchase only Canon in...

Canon PIXMA MP160 All-In-One InkJet Printer
PROBLEM I have a very basic question... how to take black and white print? I am getting colored print even if I press black button on the printer. Please advice.I'll be thankful if you please let me know the steps to make sure that how can I make sure that my printer settings at computer level are correct to take black and print. find solution here http://pc-solution4u.blogspot.com/search/label/Canon%20PIXMA%20MP160%20All-In-One%20InkJet%20Printer ...

Insten or OA100 cartridges for Canon i560 or other inkjets?
I've seen the Insten and OA100 cartridges for sale at very cheap prices on eBay. Both are sold by many different vendors and advertised as "ISO 9001 certified." Has anyone here used either of these brands, and can you recommend them? ...

Canon Pixma Ip90 Photo Inkjet Printer
Canon iP100 Mobile Photo Printer (1446B002BA) Price:$299.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B0012W9APQ Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B0012W9APQ Canon PIXMA iP90v Photo Inkjet Printer (2238B002) Price:$249.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000NNEKZ0 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000NNEKZ0 Canon PIXMA iP90 Photo Inkjet Printer (9466A001) Price:$249.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B0002OG6L6 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B0002OG6L6 6pk Compatible Canon (3)BCI-15 Blac...

Wanted Old Canon inkjet printer for spares
We are lookinf for a working or non working Canon inkjet printer that uses a BC21 or BC20 ink cartridge. We need to replace the 'purge unit' on a Canon A2 BJC5500 printer and know that the purge unit is the same as on at least some humbler models, possibly: S100, BJC2000 series inc BJC2100, BJC4000 series inc BJC BJC4500, BJC5000 inc BJC5500, MultiPASS C20,C30,C50,C70,C75,C80 & Fax-B180C The newer Canon 'ip' range e.g. ip4000 series is very different and not suitable as a doner unfortunately. The Purge unit is no longer available as a spare:-( Chris Evans -- CJE Micro...

Canon Printer Cartridges -- Be Sure To Get The Right Ones!
I already posted about my problem -- I put in new cartridges, and suddenly the colors were messed up -- but the solution struck me as so unexpected -- the kind of thing that could trip other people up -- that I thought it's worth having an entire separate thread. I don't know if this can happen with other brands, but it turns out that Canon makes printers that use identically SHAPED ink cartridges, but where the cartridges are subtly different colors. For example, they have plain Cyan, Yellow, and Magenta; and then they also have PHOTO Cyan, PHOTO Yellow, and PHOTO Magenta....

Canon S4500 A3 colour inkjet printer
Is anyone interested in a free Canon S4500 A3 colour inkjet printer? It is in full working order and works well on RISC OS with either Gutenprint or (on a RISC PC) with the photoreal drivers that I can supply with it. It also works well on Windows. I don't want any money for it but the only catch is that it will have to be collected from me in Southport, Merseyside. -- ------------------------------------------------------------- Rob Hemmings Southport robnews@rgvk.co.uk ...

Web resources about - Dating of Canon inkjet cartridges - comp.periphs.printers

Cartridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TI-99/4A Pitfall cartridge demo - YouTube
Retrocloud's adaptation of the classic Pitfall game - for the TI-99/4A. Filip has remade the classic game, and it works in a 32K EPROM! (Sorry ...

Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges
Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges

Atari's E.T. The Extraterrestrial cartridges found in landfill
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari E.T. The Extraterrestrial game cartridges ...

Diggers find hundreds of Atari 'E.T.' and other game cartridges in New Mexico landfill - CTV News
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari "E.T." game cartridges that some call the ...

Dollar Shave Club Claims to Top Schick As No. 2 Razor Cartridge
Dollar Shave Club claims it passed Schick to become the No. 2 razor cartridge brand by volume in July, a little more than three years after the ...

Rocker Releases Album on Nintendo Gaming Cartridges
Rocker Jon Black, who performs as Fort Atlantic, decided to offer his latest album on original Nintendo cartridges. As the music industry's brick-and-mortar ...

“Empty” Epson ink cartridges are still 20 percent full
The high-end Epson 9900 printer, which retails for around £3,000 ($5,000), reports that ink cartridges are empty even when they are still about ...

This is why our brains lied to us about blowing into Nintendo cartridges
Before they were the basis of hip soaps or remade as even hipper clocks, Nintendo’s cartridge games were a source of delight and vexation for ...