does Canon have a printer that doesn't use a "FINE" cartridge?

Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
newer ones (Pixmas)
have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
preferably an AIO type
(one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
MP460.. They have
this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
absolutely necessary...

Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
three-colors + 1-black cartridge
configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
can suggest...
Thanks!!

Mike

0
mike

HP

mike e wrote:
> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> newer ones (Pixmas)
> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> preferably an AIO type
> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> MP460.. They have
> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> absolutely necessary...
>
> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> can suggest...
> Thanks!!
>
> Mike

0
measekite
1/13/2007 3:47:58 AM
The MP510 is what you're looking for. Pigment black only.

"mike e" <mikes425@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> newer ones (Pixmas)
> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> preferably an AIO type
> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> MP460.. They have
> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> absolutely necessary...
>
> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> can suggest...
> Thanks!!
>
> Mike

0
Dan
1/13/2007 3:56:22 PM
Thanks Dan. I haven't even opened the 160 so i can still return it and
found the 510 for just about the same
price.  Looks like a better model... Do you think the ink cost is
generally less in the long run with the 510
model than a 160 or 180??

Dan G wrote:
> The MP510 is what you're looking for. Pigment black only.
>

> "mike e" <mikes425@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> > newer ones (Pixmas)
> > have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> > preferably an AIO type
> > (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> > MP460.. They have
> > this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> > absolutely necessary...
> >
> > Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> > three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> > configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> > can suggest...
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Mike

0
mike
1/13/2007 6:59:45 PM
Depends on how you print. The 510 uses separate tanks for each of the 4
inks, so you replace only what you use.

> Thanks Dan. I haven't even opened the 160 so i can still return it and
> found the 510 for just about the same
> price.  Looks like a better model... Do you think the ink cost is
> generally less in the long run with the 510
> model than a 160 or 180??

0
Dan
1/13/2007 7:40:44 PM
Canon ip4200 or ip4300. It has a photo black as well as a pigmented black.
But when you print on plain paper photo black is not used. Ip4200 is
already discontinued. So ip4300 is the one to look for. It sells around
$70 - $80. The cartridges have chips on them but you can still refill them.

mike e wrote:
> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> newer ones (Pixmas)
> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> preferably an AIO type
> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> MP460.. They have
> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> absolutely necessary...
>
> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> can suggest...
> Thanks!!
>
> Mike

0
Sam
1/15/2007 12:13:37 AM

Sam Louis wrote:
> Canon ip4200 or ip4300. It has a photo black as well as a pigmented
> black.
> But when you print on plain paper photo black is not used. Ip4200 is
> already discontinued. So ip4300 is the one to look for. It sells around
> $70 - $80. The cartridges have chips on them but you can still refill
> them.

However if you want fade resistant higher quality prints with lower risk
of printhead clogging stick to Canon ink.

> mike e wrote:
>> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
>> newer ones (Pixmas)
>> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
>> preferably an AIO type
>> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
>> MP460.. They have
>> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
>> absolutely necessary...
>>
>> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
>> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
>> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
>> can suggest...
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Mike

0
measekite
1/15/2007 3:55:38 AM
thanks all for your replies.  actually wound up finding a 510 mentioned
earlier for under 100 bucks and think i'll give it a try.... again,
still needed the AIO flatbed capability or otherwise might've
considered the IP ones you suggest - but thanks alot for the info!

mike

measekite wrote:
> Sam Louis wrote:
> > Canon ip4200 or ip4300. It has a photo black as well as a pigmented
> > black.
> > But when you print on plain paper photo black is not used. Ip4200 is
> > already discontinued. So ip4300 is the one to look for. It sells around
> > $70 - $80. The cartridges have chips on them but you can still refill
> > them.
>
> However if you want fade resistant higher quality prints with lower risk
> of printhead clogging stick to Canon ink.
> >

> > mike e wrote:
> >> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
> >> newer ones (Pixmas)
> >> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
> >> preferably an AIO type
> >> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
> >> MP460.. They have
> >> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
> >> absolutely necessary...
> >>
> >> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
> >> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
> >> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
> >> can suggest...
> >> Thanks!!
> >>
> >> Mike

0
mike
1/15/2007 5:58:12 PM
All canon printers are fine except for the cheap junk

measekite wrote:

> Sam Louis wrote:
>> Canon ip4200 or ip4300. It has a photo black as well as a pigmented
>> black.
>> But when you print on plain paper photo black is not used. Ip4200 is
>> already discontinued. So ip4300 is the one to look for. It sells around
>> $70 - $80. The cartridges have chips on them but you can still refill
>> them.
>
> However if you want fade resistant higher quality prints with lower
> risk of printhead clogging stick to Canon ink.
>>

>> mike e wrote:
>>> Hello, i need to replace my second Canon printer and notice that the
>>> newer ones (Pixmas)
>>> have this "FINE" system.  I don't need photo, just good color, and
>>> preferably an AIO type
>>> (one with a flatbed copier capability).  Looked at an MP160, MP180,
>>> MP460.. They have
>>> this "FINE" cartridge system and I'd prefer as few cartridges as
>>> absolutely necessary...
>>>
>>> Anybody with an idea of a model still available that still uses the
>>> three-colors + 1-black cartridge
>>> configuration like the i series ones?  Really appreciate any help you
>>> can suggest...
>>> Thanks!!
>>>
>>> Mike

0
measekite

Can't Find Answer Any Where (What would you do/try): fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DDL
Hello, I have a shared drive on SGI, Linux, and Windows. The fact that I'm using a shared drive may be mute information. The problem is within the same program a second call to fopen does not create a file if the file has been deleted. I would like to use fopen for its pointer return value to solve this. What is the best way to fix this problem? The reason I want to do this is I do not want to exit completely from LabView and then re-enter it to create the file! I talked to my system person and he said something "like" this. That it is a caching problem. Windows has the fil...

Why doesn't can't a vector of "Derived" be passed to function taking vector of "Base"?
I have these classes (elided methods): class Base { public: Base(string name) {...} }; class Derived : public Base { public: Derived(String name) : Base( name ) {...} }; And neither of these work: /*** ATTEMPT ONE **/ void create(std::vector<Base>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived> arr; create( arr ); } /*** ATTEMPT TWO **/ void create(std::vector<Base*>& arr) { ... } int main() { std::vector<Derived*> arr; ...

"Print this", or, Printer-friendly function doesn't always print out everything
Concerning the article below, if you scroll to the bottom of the page to the "Print this" icon and then click on it, when you print out the 'complete' article, you will find that the inset "Tips to minimize mind-wandering" has not been printed out: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/17690541 <aesthete8@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1174525586.134887.103490@l75g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Concerning the article below, if you scroll to the bottom of the page > to the "Print this" icon and then click on it, when you print out the...

"Photo" printers cheaper than "non-photo" printers?
I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the most part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers. Why? Monica "Monica" <nospam@guess.com> wrote in message news:akiee.15829$yV4.6261@okepread03... > I'm looking for a "non-photo" printer and from what I'm seeing, for the most > part, non photo printers are more expensive than photo printers. Why? I'm doing the same because I already have an Epson 2100 for printing photos. I think the reason for this strange price differe...

fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DDL
Hello, My second call to fopen doesn't create the file if it has been deleted. I want to also use fopen for its pointer return value. What is the best way to fix this problem? The reason I want to do this is I do not want to exit completely from LabView and then re-enter it to create the file! Thank you, Christopher Lusardi I forgot to mention the shared drive is also on SGI and Linux. Thanks, Christopher Lusardi Also, someone was telling me something this may be a caching problem. What is that? Christopher Lusardi clusardi2k@aol.com wrote: > Hello, > > M...

fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DDL
Hello, I have a shared drive on SGI, Linux, and Windows. A second call to fopen doesn't create the file if it has been deleted. I would like to use fopen for its pointer return value to solve this. What is the best way to fix this problem? The reason I want to do this is I do not want to exit completely from LabView and then re-enter it to create the file! I talked to my system person and he said something "like" this. That it is a caching problem. Windows has the file in cache memory. All references to it affect the cached file. You can do fopens (NULL not returned, and ...

fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DDL
Hello, I have a shared drive on SGI, Linux, and Windows. The problem is within the same program a second call to fopen does not create a file if the file has been deleted. I would like to use fopen for its pointer return value to solve this. What is the best way to fix this problem? The reason I want to do this is I do not want to exit completely from LabView and then re-enter it to create the file! I talked to my system person and he said something "like" this. That it is a caching problem. Windows has the file in cache memory. All references to it affect the cached file. You ...

fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DDL
Hello, I have a shared drive on SGI, Linux, and Windows. The problem is within the same program a second call to fopen does not create a file if the file has been deleted. I would like to use fopen for its pointer return value to solve this. What is the best way to fix this problem? The reason I want to do this is I do not want to exit completely from LabView and then re-enter it to create the file! I talked to my system person and he said something "like" this. That it is a caching problem. Windows has the file in cache memory. All references to it affect the c...

fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DLL
Hello, I have a shared drive on SGI, Linux, and Windows. The problem is within the same program a second call to fopen does not create a file if the file has been deleted. I would like to use fopen for its pointer return value to solve this. What is the best way to fix this problem? The reason I want to do this is I do not want to exit completely from LabView and then re-enter it to create the file! I talked to my system person and he said something "like" this. That it is a caching problem. Windows has the file in cache memory. All references to it affect the cached file...

Android doesn't protect "software freedom", so [H]ypocrite [H]omer and other cola bozos won't be using it
Right [H]ypocrite/s? "The Apache license allows manufacturers and mobile operators to innovate using the platform without the requirement to contribute those innovations back to the open source community." http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/android_faq.html [H]omer: "Only a morally inverted fuckwit like DFS would see the protection of [software] freedom as a "restriction"." Well well well... looks like [H]ypocrite is stuck using WinPhone7 or an iPhone... just kidding... not in a million years... we all know your hypocrisy will win out like it always d...

Why doesn't Python's "robotparser" like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file?
For some reason, Python's parser for "robots.txt" files doesn't like Wikipedia's "robots.txt" file: >>> import robotparser >>> url = 'http://wikipedia.org/robots.txt' >>> chk = robotparser.RobotFileParser() >>> chk.set_url(url) >>> chk.read() >>> testurl = 'http://wikipedia.org' >>> chk.can_fetch('Mozilla', testurl) False >>> The Wikipedia robots.txt file passes robots.txt validation, and it doesn't disallow unknown browsers. But the Python pars...

If Mel really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assembler", existed others developers that really didn't approve of compilers and if refused to use an "optimizing assemb
This is the last topic that I post about the history of machine language using the Google Translate. According Ed Nather in The Story of Mel, this is part of the history of machine language: "The Story of Mel This was posted to Usenet by its author, Ed Nather (<nather@astro.as.utexas.edu>), on May 21, 1983. A recent article devoted to the macho side of programming made the bald and unvarnished statement: Real Programmers write in FORTRAN. Maybe they do now, in this decadent era of Lite beer, hand calculators, and "user-friendly" software but ba...

fopen ("file on shared drive","w+") doesn't work on 2nd call using Windows LabView DDL #2
[...]

Web resources about - does Canon have a printer that doesn't use a "FINE" cartridge? - comp.periphs.printers