Does parallel to usb work for usb printer to parallel port?

My inlaws have a dinosaur pc, one usb port which contains their cable modem.
Parallel printer died, so they bought a usb, Canon s330, they are very computer
illiterate. My question is, what's the best way to get them printing
capabilites? I've thought of usb hub to share port with modem (not recommended
by ISP), return printer for a parallel one (spend more money) install another
usb card (more money) or buy a usb to parallel adapter...if they work from usb
printer to parallel port. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Don
0
doninwny

On 12 Jul 2003 20:19:32 GMT, doninwny@aol.com (Don in WNY) wrote:

>My inlaws have a dinosaur pc, one usb port which contains their cable modem.
>Parallel printer died, so they bought a usb, Canon s330, they are very computer
>illiterate. My question is, what's the best way to get them printing
>capabilites? I've thought of usb hub to share port with modem (not recommended
>by ISP), return printer for a parallel one (spend more money) install another
>usb card (more money) or buy a usb to parallel adapter...if they work from usb
>printer to parallel port. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Don

Check to see if there are headers for extra USB ports, and get a rear
plate for it.

Get a cable/DSL modem with ethernet, and a PCI NIC, or a PCI modem if
it is dial-up.

USB is host PC to whatever, not the other way around.
0
Gary
7/13/2003 12:57:41 AM
In article <20030712161932.01272.00000271@mb-m26.aol.com>, doninwny@aol.com
says...

>My inlaws have a dinosaur pc, one usb port which contains their cable modem.
>Parallel printer died, so they bought a usb, Canon s330, they are very
computer
>illiterate. My question is, what's the best way to get them printing
>capabilites? I've thought of usb hub to share port with modem (not recommended
>by ISP), return printer for a parallel one (spend more money) install another
>usb card (more money) or buy a usb to parallel adapter...if they work from usb
>printer to parallel port. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Don

The usb-to-parallel adapters are only for hooking a parallel printer to a USB
port.  Won't work the other way.

You might consider getting a USB adapter for their PC.  They are relatively
cheap ($15-$20) and would provide extra USB ports for other things as well.

0
wware52

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr� Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server > with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer > server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the > printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one > printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any > one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? > > Thank you Andre, Check this http://www.surecom-net.com/pd-wireless-9910sx.htm not sure if the product is available yet. Sujit ...

USB to PARALLEL (not PARALLEL to USB)
I'm trying to connect a USB printer to a Print Server that only has a Parallel Port. I wouldn't think that combination would be so unique, but can't seem to find them anywhere. I think this cable would have a USB "B" socket plugging into the printer and the other end would be a DB25 Male socket, that plugs into the DB25 Female socket in the back of print server. Can't seem to find any adaptors or gender changers, even wireless options to accomplish this and really, really don't want to trash the print server. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Printing: Parallel Port PC to USB Printer Port converter needed
I look for a converter cable which could connect a printer with USB port to a conventional parallel printer port (DB25) on PC or PC-like device. Has anyone such a cable? Where could I get it? http://www.google.com/search?tab=gw&q=usb%20db25&hl=en& 169,000 English pages in 0.37 seconds :-) ...

Parallel printer to USB Computer Port
I've got an excellent condition and little used HP LaserJet 6L printer that only has a parallel cable output-- but my new computer doesn't have a parallel port-- just USB. So I got a parallel/Centronics to USB adaptor cable-- but the computer doesn't recognize it and I can't find a driver that will work. The HP website is no help. It's not cost effective to set up a wireless print network. So-- any suggestions? I'd hate to have to go out and buy a new printer to replace a perfectly good one... "Charlie Allnut" <null@null> wrote i...

Interface to connect a USB printer to a parallel port
USB to Parallel port adaptors are two a penny, but with few Printers now having parallel ports it is getting difficult for us to offer printers to many RISC OS users. Does anyone know of a Parallel port to USB adaptor i.e. a computers parallel port to a printers USB port. I realise that as the adaptor would have to run a USB stack it's not an inconsequential design. I know we can recommend UniPods but for some such as a Siblius user running an A5000 there are a few downsides: cost, memory loss & not a very straight forward setup. We will often try and suggest an upgrade to a RiscPC ...

Laptop USB to parallel port printer conversion question.
Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter. The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port printer cable is missing but I'm willing to spring for one if conversion to USB is not to pricey or complicated. What do you recommend? On 2010-11-05 23:09, ghelf wrote: > Laptops today do not come with parallel ports but I was wondering how > troublesome it would be to use some kind of converter. > The printer is an HP Rx 80 multifunction printer. The parallel port > printer cable ...

New Printer with USB 2.0 - Old PC with USB 1.1 Ports
I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 year old laptop that has two USB 1.1 ports. Will a new printer with a USB 2.0 connection work with my laptop? I heard it will - but will be slower than designed to be. I am planning on getting another HP OfficeJet (my old one lasted 7 years!!!!). Also, can I use a regular USB 1.1 cable? Is there a difference between USB cables (2.0 different than 1.1?). Thanks! Paula On 31 Jul 2006 17:25:13 -0700, pokee@shaw.ca wrote: >I am FINALLY getting around to getting a new printer - but I have a 4 >year o...

Networking Parallel and USB Printers
Help... Please! I have: o 2 PCs: One Win98 and one WinXP o 2 Printers: A Parallel HP LaserJet 4L and a USB HP DeskJet 882c o 1 4-port Network Anywhere (by LinkSys) NR041 Router How do I connect the 2 printers to the router so both PCs can print to them? Is this the best way to "network" this mess? Thanks! Steve gfr92y@yahoo.com Steve Forrestor wrote: > Help... Please! > > I have: > o 2 PCs: One Win98 and one WinXP > o 2 Printers: A Parallel HP LaserJet 4L and a USB HP DeskJet 882c > o 1 4-port Network Anywhere (by LinkSys) NR041 Router > &g...

Help... Please! I have: o 2 PCs: One Win98 and one WinXP o 2 Printers: A Parallel HP LaserJet 4L and a USB HP DeskJet 882c o 1 4-port Network Anywhere (by LinkSys) NR041 Router How do I connect the 2 printers to the router so both PCs can print to them? Is this the best way to "network" this mess? Thanks! Steve gfr92y@yahoo.com "Steve Forrestor" <gfr92y@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:SIydnTQtmYldIdDcRVn-gA@comcast.com... > > Help... Please! > > I have: > o 2 PCs: One Win98 and one WinXP > o 2 Print...

Networking Parallel and USB Printers
Help... Please! I have: o 2 PCs: One Win98 and one WinXP o 2 Printers: A Parallel HP LaserJet 4L and a USB HP DeskJet 882c o 1 4-port Network Anywhere (by LinkSys) NR041 Router How do I connect the 2 printers to the router so both PCs can print to them? Is this the best way to "network" this mess? Thanks! Steve gfr92y@yahoo.com Steve Forrestor wrote: > Help... Please! > > I have: > o 2 PCs: One Win98 and one WinXP > o 2 Printers: A Parallel HP LaserJet 4L and a USB HP DeskJet 882c > o 1 4-port Network Anywhere (by LinkSys) NR041 Router > &g...

Networking Parallel and USB Printers
Help... Please! I have: o 2 PCs: One Win98 and one WinXP o 2 Printers: A Parallel HP LaserJet 4L and a USB HP DeskJet 882c o 1 4-port Network Anywhere (by LinkSys) NR041 Router How do I connect the 2 printers to the router so both PCs can print to them? Is this the best way to "network" this mess? Thanks! Steve gfr92y@yahoo.com Steve, Make sure you have "file and printer sharing" enabled in you network settings. Go to "printers" and right click on your printer. Select sharing. Enable sharing and give the printer a name. As...

USB printer to Parallel on my computer
I have a new printer with a USB cable, I would like to connect it to my parallel port on my older computer is there an adapter out there, to go from USB to the parallel port on my computer with no USB. I have seen the reverse cable that would go from and older printer to a newer computer, my problem is in reveries. Your best bet is probably to add a USB card to the older computer. I have not yet seen an adapter that allows connection of a USB printer to a parallel port. The working assumption in the industry these days is that every computer has a USB port... Ben Myers On Fri, 03 Dec...

Printing to parallel-printer from USB?
Hi, I=B4m new to this groups, so please no flames. The situation is as follows: I have an old PC with XP Pro and a Laserjet 4L. But that PC is rather old and doesn=B4t fill my needs any more, so my intentions is to buy a PC with Vista and lots of RAM. The situation then is that I have no parallel-port, only some USB:s. The qustion arises: Can I just set it up as usual with a USB-> parallel cable and be happy? TIA Masa [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent=20 to the cited author.] In article <20b8c4d2-13fa-41ca-8dc5- 9ffa24f44f8c@d4...

Networking Parallel and USB Printers
Help... Please! I have: o 2 PCs: One Win98 and one WinXP o 2 Printers: A Parallel HP LaserJet 4L and a USB HP DeskJet 882c o 1 4-port Network Anywhere (by LinkSys) NR041 Router How do I connect the 2 printers to the router so both PCs can print to them? Is this the best way to "network" this mess? Thanks! Steve gfr92y@yahoo.com ...

Networking Parallel and USB Printers
Help... Please! I have: o 2 PCs: One Win98 and one WinXP o 2 Printers: A Parallel HP LaserJet 4L and a USB HP DeskJet 882c o 1 4-port Network Anywhere (by LinkSys) NR041 Router How do I connect the 2 printers to the router so both PCs can print to them? Is this the best way to "network" this mess? Thanks! Steve gfr92y@yahoo.com Print servers http://www.level1.com/products2.php?sklop=13 -- Ross "Steve Forrestor" <gfr92y@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:i8mdnWBvwoMkIdDcRVn-tw@comcast.com... > > Help... Please! >...

Parallel port control with USB->Parallel converter
Hi, I want to control some motors using the parallel port.. however, my laptop does not have any parallel ports (very few do). What I do have is a USB->Parallel converter... I thought about using PyParallel, but the USB->Parallel converter doesn't actually map to the LPT port .. and PyParallel only looks for LPT ports? Has anyone tried doing this? What are my options for controlling parallel connections on a laptop with no parallel port? I also thought about controlling the USB natively.. but since I dont have any instructions on how to do this with my Velleman USB->Parallel...

Parallel Cable IV does not work with parallel to usb cable
Hallo, I bought recently a notebook with only usb, firewire, ethernet and 1 pcmcia connectors. I use Parallel Cable IV. I have bought a ps/2 to usb and a parallel to usb cables. But parallel to usb seems to function only with parallel printers. Do you know a all-in-one port replicator with usb, serial and ps/2 connectors that works with Parallel Cable IV? Many Thanks Marco "Marco T." <marc@blabla.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:drpt4t$igp$1@nnrp.ngi.it... > Hallo, > I bought recently a notebook with only usb, firewire, ethernet and 1 > pcmcia connectors. ...

How to connect two Parallel printer on USB
I was going to send this to the Iyonix mailing list but then realised it applies also to the A9 We have two customers who need to connect two parallel printers to their Iyonixes There are a number of ways I believe this can be done, but rather than reinvent the wheel is anyone already doing this and if so what method? The options I have theorised that should work are: Option 1: Have two USB-Parallel units, I believe the units would have to have different vendor and product IDs (we have two very different units here that have the same ID as they are based on the same chip set) Option 2: Co...

HP G85 printer
I have a HP G85 printer (scanner, copier, FAX) and was hoping to be able to share the printer via it's parallel and USB conneections.... - USB for a local PC - Parallel for a wireless print server connection Well, it seems that only one cable may be connected at a time.... even if it is physically not connected to a computer - - bummer Correct. Nearly all of the inkjet printers and PSC drives on the market permit use of one and only one connection at a time between USB and parallel. If they have parallel ports, that is. In addition, if you decide to switch connections, you'll...

USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port
i9900 printer works by USB connection. A USB 2.0 cable was connected from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any problem printing images. Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0 hub (Ultra from RadioShack). The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet. With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well. But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it prints only a half an inch of images. But the cable was connect to a USB port in the tower, it starts to print pictures. It seems that c...

Move document between printers / More than one printer when changing USB port
I have an annoying problem in XP. I have only one printer, but if I plug it in a different printer port - XP insists it's a differnt printer!!! Stupid XP seems to do this with all USB devices (suggestion/complaint sent to MS). So I ended up with a load of documents in a dead queue, so why can't I just move them to the correct queue? The driver etc etc is the same as it's the same actual printer!!!! -- 11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com Tell a man that there are 400 billion stars and he'll believe you. Tell him a bench has wet paint and he has to touch it. ...

new laptop with parallel port for a parallel dot matrix printer?
Hi, I have to help a friend of mine to move from an old desktop (with win95 and a legacy program that have to print multiple-copy chemical forms with condensed ascii cha on an old dot-matrix 136-columns Brothers printer) to a new laptop (he doesn't want to buy an used one). The legacy program works in any environment from DOS to winXP - the only issue is that it pretend to access the printer on LPT1. Implementing the trick of the usb-to-centronic adapter and automapping the shared printer as LPT1 worked for simple instraction like dir > LPT1 but result in error when I tried to acces...

Wireless networking laser printer
Hello friends, I am not a computer geek and I have a question on wirelessly networking a laser printer. I run a Microsoft Base Station (MN-500) based wireless network setup at home, connecting 3 computers. I am thinking of buying a new laser printer (Brother HL-5140; has parrallel, USB and ethernet ports) and the local Office Depot sells a couple of wireless print servers and I am trying to figure out which one suits me. The available wirelss print servers are: 1) A compact "D-link" one that attaches to the PARALLEL PORT of the printer. Sale price, $45 ...

parallel vs. usb cable printer connection
I have a inkjet printer connected by a parallel cable (printer cable) and usually upon printing the first page, there is some hesitation before the printed page processes at the printer. If I should eliminate the parallel cable and switch the printer to a usb cable, will the same thing occur? Probably not. If it's an HP inkjet, it uses your CPU to do its print processing -the lag is normal. <dbtexas@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:rohqgv0vvof1np299nm4r7jjmuko9mjdcp@4ax.com... > I have a inkjet printer connected by a parallel cable (printer cable) > and usually upon printing the first page, there is some hesitation > before the printed page processes at the printer. If I should > eliminate the parallel cable and switch the printer to a usb cable, > will the same thing occur? Didn't you mean "Yes, the lag will probably remain"? =>Roddy<= "Edward J. Neth" wrote: > Probably not. If it's an HP inkjet, it uses your CPU to do its print > processing -the lag is normal. > > > <dbtexas@earthlink.net> wrote: > > If I should eliminate the parallel cable and switch > > the printer to a usb cable, will the same thing occur? I switched my HP 880c to USB from parallel and have noticed no difference in printing behavior. "Roderick Samuels" <Roderick@JacqWeb.com> wrote in message news:W7hPa.40071$C83.3164759@newsread1.prod.it...

Web resources about - Does parallel to usb work for usb printer to parallel port? - comp.periphs.printers

Parallel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kindle for iOS gets social sharing features, parallel downloads
... it is nevertheless nice to see Amazon take advantage of Apple’s mobile platform through integrating sharing in this way. Kindle for iOS. Parallel ...

Panasonic Introduced Its Tomato-picking Robot and Parallel Link Robot at International Robot Exhibition ...
Panasonic proposed numerous robotics solutions such as the tomato-picking robot and the parallel link robot at one of the world's largest robot ...

Charting the Parallels Between Rey and Luke Skywalker in Star Wars: The Force Awakens
[SPOILER WARNING: This article discusses plot elements from Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Do not [...]

Trust and Democracy: The Odd Parallels between Trump and Apple
... Apple in its fight against the FBI and Justice Department wouldn’t be caught dead voting for Trump. And yet Apple’s position has some odd parallels ...

‘Homeland’ Evoked Amidst School Threats In Latest Real-Life Parallel For Season 5
When New York Commissioner Bill Bratton spoke today about the email bomb threats sent to schools in the country’s two biggest cities that shut ...

Parallels Updates Remote Application Server for PCs, Macs
Parallels Remote Application Server v15 brings Windows applications and desktops to employees on any device, anywhere in the world.

No This Isn't The Dot-Com Bust All Over Again, But The Parallels Are Uncomfortable
... sign of trouble in the tech markets, both public and private. While 2016 isn't yet a carbon copy of 2000, there are some disturbing parallels ...

Parallels brings server-based desktop apps to iPhone and Android in first big update since company split ...
No one wants to work on their phone, but sometimes you just have to get something done while on the go. And the latest version of Parallels Remote ...