Duplex printers and CD printers

Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

Is Epson still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
that can print on CDs?

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
For some strange reason those of us who are owned by cats
ascribe motives to the cat that are more benign than the

Daniel Prince wrote:
> Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
> that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

1. Using Canon's duplex feature to print both sides takes 2 to 3 times
longer than just flipping the pages manually. It's agonizingly slow.

2. Canon's duplex feature doesn't use the regular pigmented black ink
but a mixture of various dye colors to make black. Hence text is NOT
as dark, lacks the laser like sharpness, and is not the near waterproof
of regular text printing. In fact it will will run badly if wet.

3. Other than that it works :-). So if the above doesn't bother you,
go for it! But I refuse to use it.

-Taliesyn
0
Taliesyn
3/24/2006 12:10:44 AM
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:21:06 -0800, Daniel Prince
<neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:

>Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
>that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

The Hewlett-Packard K550 duplex prints. I believe there are other HP
models that have the feature that you can order in the US, but the
K550 is the only one I've seen that's available in retail stores.

>Is Epson still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
>that can print on CDs?

Yes, but you can get a CD tray for various Canon models off of eBay or
such, that require little to no modification to work (you might have
to download drivers off of their European website). I don't know
specific model numbers yet, as I am doing research into the best way
to do this right now.

So far I have not seen a model that has /both/ duplex printing and CD
printing. Personally, I almost never use the duplex on my HP 1100D
because the margins on the 'other side' are significantly smaller than
if you just flipped the paper on your own. I think if you use it for
document printing rather than brochures and newsletters (which
normally have smaller margins than a sales report or resume) it's more
useful. But it takes a very long time for it to flip, I don't know how
fast the new K550 does it.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
0
info
3/24/2006 12:11:05 AM
Hi!

> Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
> that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

If you're not looking for printers that are only based on inkjet technology,
Samsung markets some color laser printers that feature a built in duplexer.
I have a Samsung CLP-550n color laser printer--which features the built in
duplexer--and have been very happy with it so far. This is an automatic
duplexer.

HP sold a DeskJet in the US and Canada (the 5850) that could be fitted with
an optional automatic duplexer module.

For black and white lasers, there are quite a few different makers offering
duplexing as a standard feature or as an add-on module. I've got a Xerox
Phaser 4400 that could duplex print.

> Is Epson still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
> that can print on CDs?

I did a Froogle search on that topic. (I have an Epson Stylus printer that
can print CDs directly and have been very happy with it.) What I found would
seem to suggest that a few alternatives exist, though possibly not from the
other big brands in inkjet printing.

William

0
William
3/24/2006 12:35:17 AM
I have a Canon MP450 and I found that in the Properties -> Maintenance ->
Ink Cartridge Settings
you can set to Black Only. This forces all printing to use only the Black
cartridge. I use this all the
time as I mostly print just text. This setting also does a good job on
shading color output if you
don't want a color image (e.g. like a WEB page copy or PDF page print). This
mode sure saves
on color cartridge useage and when you need to print color just turn the
setting back to Both.

This feature also gives you the option of turning off an empty cartridge if
you don't have one
available and you need to get a print job out.

I do Duplex printing once and a while and it does a great job with the Black
only ink setting.
You do get a warning message at the start of each print job but not a
problem  for me.

Rich
"Taliesyn" <taliesyn4@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Daniel Prince wrote:
>> Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
>> that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?
>>

> 1. Using Canon's duplex feature to print both sides takes 2 to 3 times
> longer than just flipping the pages manually. It's agonizingly slow.
>
> 2. Canon's duplex feature doesn't use the regular pigmented black ink but
> a mixture of various dye colors to make black. Hence text is NOT
> as dark, lacks the laser like sharpness, and is not the near waterproof
> of regular text printing. In fact it will will run badly if wet.
>
> 3. Other than that it works :-). So if the above doesn't bother you,
> go for it! But I refuse to use it.
>
> -Taliesyn

0
Rich
3/24/2006 12:38:59 AM
> Yes, but you can get a CD tray for various Canon models off of eBay or
> such, that require little to no modification to work (you might have
> to download drivers off of their European website). I don't know
> specific model numbers yet, as I am doing research into the best way
> to do this right now.

All the info you need is here
http://pixma.webpal.info/

If we are talking the ip3000/4000/5000/6000/mp750/760/780, I can say
you definatly do not need the european drivers.  I have personaly
tested the mp760 and the ip3000 on the US driver... both the website
and the ones on disc.  You will have to tweek a regkey setting but
that's easy enough to do and can be done by downloading a simple file
off of Knightcrawler's website.

The newer pixmas you'd have to check with someone who's used it.

I series - you need parts you can't get
early ip series - button presses, screw driver panel removal, regkey
edit, tray.  Rollers if you like
newer ip series - Pretty sure it's the same deal except it comes with
rollers.

0
zakezuke
3/24/2006 1:33:51 AM

Taliesyn wrote:

> Daniel Prince wrote:
>
>> Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
>> that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?
>>

> 1. Using Canon's duplex feature to print both sides takes 2 to 3 times
> longer than just flipping the pages manually. It's agonizingly slow.

HEY TALLYHO  YOU CAN DO SOMETHING ELSE WHILE YOU ARE ENJOYING THE CONVIENCE

> 2. Canon's duplex feature doesn't use the regular pigmented black ink
> but a mixture of various dye colors to make black. Hence text is NOT
> as dark, lacks the laser like sharpness, and is not the near waterproof
> of regular text printing. In fact it will will run badly if wet.

I USE THE DUPLEX FEATURE ALL OF THE TIME AND FEEL THAT THE RESULTS ARE
JUST FINE.   IT IS VERY CONVENIENT WHEN PRINTING MULTIPLE PAGES FROM THE
WEB AS WELL.

> 3. Other than that it works :-). So if the above doesn't bother you,
> go for it! But I refuse to use it.

YOU ARE A HIGH SCHOOL KID WHO STILL NEEDS TO LEARN THINGS SO YOU CAN
HAVE GOOD JUDGEMENT.  IT SEEMS YOU HAVE FALLEN BEHIND.

> -Taliesyn
0
measekite
3/24/2006 4:05:48 AM

Daniel Prince wrote:

>Is Canon still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
>that can print on both sides of the paper automatically?

HP HAS HAD IT FOR YEARS BUT THE CANONS HAVE DUPLEX AND TWIN PAPER FEED
SO THE PAPER HANDLING IS BETTER THAN HP

>Is Epson still the only manufacturer who sells printers in the USA
>that can print on CDs?

YES

>Thank you in advance for all replies.

0
measekite
3/24/2006 4:06:49 AM
Taliesyn wrote:
> Daniel Prince wrote:
>

> 2. Canon's duplex feature doesn't use the regular pigmented black ink
> but a mixture of various dye colors to make black. Hence text is NOT
> as dark, lacks the laser like sharpness, and is not the near waterproof
> of regular text printing.

My ip4000 has two black cartridges. Isn't one of them used for blacks
when printing in color, or?? Or is the second cartridge used for black
when printing in color but not in duplex mode?
0
Dan
4/1/2006 8:39:10 PM
Dan Wenz <djwenz@comcast.net> wrote in news:4986neFnkgqoU1@individual.net:

> My ip4000 has two black cartridges. Isn't one of them used for blacks
> when printing in color, or?? Or is the second cartridge used for black
> when printing in color but not in duplex mode?

One is used in text mode mostly, the other in photo mode. Duplexing uses
the photo mode on the opposite side, so will use the dye BCI6 black.
0
Gary
4/2/2006 5:22:10 PM

Gary Tait wrote:

>Dan Wenz <djwenz@comcast.net> wrote in news:4986neFnkgqoU1@individual.net:
>

>>My ip4000 has two black cartridges. Isn't one of them used for blacks
>>when printing in color, or?? Or is the second cartridge used for black
>>when printing in color but not in duplex mode?
>>

>One is used in text mode mostly, the other in photo mode. Duplexing uses
>the photo mode on the opposite side, so will use the dye BCI6 black.

INCORRECT PROVING TATER TOT DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT.
DUPLEXING USES THE DYE BLACK IF THE DUPLEX BOX IS CHECKED.
0
measekite

Printer Ink

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

Wanted: Printer/Scanner/CD./DVD printer
Any recommendations? Canon MP600, $99 from www.outpost.com (Fry's) or MP610, $150 from Canon online store (free ground shipping). They are identical. Period. Check out these DVD prints I made from MP600 with a home-made CD tray. Notice how accurately the images are centered. See my earlier post for how to make the tray easily. Scanned these on MP600. http://lh3.google.com/fixup77/R8cq4asiCaI/AAAAAAAAANQ/AOqMvf7-7V4/s800/dvdmovie.JPG http://lh3.google.com/fixup77/R8cq4asiCbI/AAAAAAAAANY/n_OM_GAXwVs/s800/dvdcollection.JPG Trevor wrote: > Any recommendations? ...

necessary to install printer driver for shared printer on computer that is not attached to printer?
We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is it necessary to install the HP drivers on the Win 7 computer in addition to the XP computer? best, Aaron From: <aaronep@pacbell.net> > We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We > have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP > computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is > it necessary to in...

Printer vs printer vs ...
I have an old HP. If I load a graphic into Mozilla it will print to the HP. If I load a graphic into PMView it will not print. Why? Jim L -- If you think people are out to get you you're paranoid. If you think people are out to get anybody they can what are you? Sir: inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote: > I have an old HP. If I load a graphic into Mozilla it will print to the > HP. If I load a graphic into PMView it will not print. Why? > PMview has a size limitation. Look in the re-size option to see the largest size to which it will convert a picture. In ...

Phaser printers and LED printers
I have need to purchase, for a small office environment, a printer for color brochures. It needs to handle speeds in the 10-20 pages per minute range and mainly for letter size paper. Target price is $1000-1200. I prefer something other than inkjet printers for this application, and recent color laser printer output I've seen is quite good. There seem to be several models from the major manufacturers available for under a grand, but they seem to cluster around 4 pages per minute in color, which is too slow. We will be printing runs of a few hundred pages at a time, probably...

Printer trays.....network printers
Still having a problem here... If I define a Xerox printer with two Ldev nos, with data_intray=1 on one ldev, and data_intray = 4 on the other, I can send interleaved spool files to them and it works beautifully. If I remove data_intray = 4, and try to use setup_file=x.hpenv where x contains <Esc>&l4H (PCL for use lower tray), nothing works, it doesnt even rotate to landscape (understand that part). If I embed the esc sequence in the data at start it works, but thats not a viable solution. In fact if I send the tray value anything from 2 to 5, it uses bottom tray. I want t...

Printer addendum for HP printer

Installed Printers
Hi, We want to make it possible for our Users to link a printer to a document type. Doing that we need to know how we can load the installed printers on the client system and how we can autoselect an printer using JavaScript Thanks in advice Jo Jo Claes wrote: > Hi, > > We want to make it possible for our Users to link a printer to a document > type. > Doing that we need to know how we can load the installed printers on the > client system and how we can autoselect an printer using JavaScript > > Thanks in advice > > Jo Client-side JavaScript does not have...

Printer drivers for new printers
I have just bought a couple of printers and I am trying to find drivers for them without any success. The printers I have are a Canon S330 and a Canon i950. Both are connected on a windows printer/home control server. For the S330 I have used the S300 printer driver (qimp-print), the print quality is horrible but at least it prints the correct size, as for the i950, I used the BJC-8200 printer driver and it prints at 1/4 of the size it is supposed to. Canon only supports windows and Mac os, at least that is their official response. Is there anywhere I can find printer driv...

printer supplies or new printer
I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter feeding a Canon BJC210. I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 I need either ink cartidges for the printer, or a new printer that turbo will recognise. Any suggestion? (PS - sorry I use a Windows for internet and everything else.) "Letmesnapu2" <alan.r.archer@btinternet.com> wrote: > I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter > feeding a Canon BJC210. > > I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 > > I need either ink cartidges for ...

tPrinter.printers not showing a printer?
A client is using one of my programs on several computers (Win 2000). On one (and only one) of them, when I get the tPrinter.printers list of printers, it shows no printers. The user says that there is a printer installed. If the printer is properly installed in Windows, it must show up in tPrinter.printers, right? --- Replace you know what by j to email ...

Web resources about - Duplex printers and CD printers - comp.periphs.printers

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

The 3D printer carving out a new curriculum
With Australia's technical expertise slowly whittling away, the team behind this gadget wants to take schools back to the basics of manufacturing ...

ASIC investigating company after inventor of world's largest 3D printer left out of pocket
... Australian Securities and Investments Commission investigates the administration of a company that tried to sell the world's largest 3D printer. ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $45, 9′ MFi Lightning Cable $6, iPhone 6/s Plus Leather Folio ...
... Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Daily Deals: Brother Monochrome Laser Printer ...

Prusa I3 is a DIY 3D printer you can actually afford
Imagine drawing an image and having transformed into a full 3D model? That's what a 3D printer can do for you. The Hictop Prusa I3 3D Desktop ...