Epson paper in Canon printer

Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer?
Specifically the paper is Epson  S041706  Premium Glossy Photo Paper 255gsm.
I'd be interested in knowing the results.
Thanks
Rescho

0
Rescho

....or any Canon printer that uses BCI-6X series cartridges.
Rescho
"Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer?
> Specifically the paper is Epson  S041706  Premium Glossy Photo Paper 255gsm.
> I'd be interested in knowing the results.
> Thanks
> Rescho

0
Rescho
1/30/2005 7:53:31 AM
Rescho wrote:
> ...or any Canon printer that uses BCI-6X series cartridges.
> Rescho
> "Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>> Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer?
>> Specifically the paper is Epson  S041706  Premium Glossy Photo Paper
>> 255gsm. I'd be interested in knowing the results.
>> Thanks
>> Rescho

Not me yet, but i did hear that Epson papers do quite nicely on Canon
printers...i must try one day. But i did try HP everyday semigloss photo
paper on my ip4000 and ....disaster! Ink doesn't dry at all on that one...

0
SleeperMan
1/30/2005 9:14:20 AM
"Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer?
> Specifically the paper is Epson  S041706  Premium Glossy Photo Paper
255gsm.
> I'd be interested in knowing the results.
> Thanks
> Rescho

I had a s9000 last year and sold it due to pictures fading when not exposed
to light. I discovered that the papers which provide "instant" drying are
the cause and Epson's premium gloss is one of them. They have ceramic dust
for the surface which absorbs the inks but doesn't actually allow them to
dry.

Anyway, the paper produces excellent photos from these printers. I found the
longest lasting results came from 'rag based' matte papers and had good
lasting results with Canson semi gloss paper. Not much difference between
this and the gloss stuff but it takes time for the inks to dry.

I have some prints made a year ago with an Epson r310 printer on Epson
S041706 paper that lay around on the counter at my shop. I also have some on
the same paper from the s9000 and you can see very bad image fade. My advise
on the Canon is that they make very nice prints that have to be kept away
from the atmosphere. You can do this either by laminating the prints or
framing them and taping the back of the frame to seal it. You might also get
away with keeping them between leaves of a photo album. Incidently... If you
want to test a print for fading, make one and put a strip of sticky tape
over a part of it, put it in the path of an airconditioner and check it in 3
or 4 weeks.

Doug

0
Ryadia
1/30/2005 9:48:04 AM
There are two main types of specialty papers used for inkjet printers,
having quite different technologies. There are others, but they are
mainly fine art type papers.  I am speaking here of "photo" type papers.

One is Microporous papers, and the other is swellable polymer.

Microporous papers have a ceramic coating on them which is like a glaze,
which allows the ink to pass through the layer.  That layer is
transparent and the ink is stored below it usually in a kaolin clay type
substrate.  These are instant dry (to the touch) papers. It is true that
the ink takes longer to dry than it appears to when the print comes out
of the printer, but they do not remain wet indefinitely.  They probably
dry fully within 24-48 hours at most if left in an unsealed condition.
It is not recommended that prints of this nature be framed or laminated,
or placed in a plastic unbreathable storage envelope prior to they
drying fully.  Some people hasten the drying by placing them between
some highly adsorbent paper, like clean (unprinted) newsprint.  The main
components that need to come off the ink are glycols which are slower
drying.  The alcohol and water evaporate pretty quickly in most
environments unless it is very high relative humidity.

These papers do not hold the ink into the paper as well as others,
because the pores remain open.  In some cases of certain dyes, the ink
was found to fade within 24-48 hours if left completely exposed to an
environment where there was a lot of air current.  So, with this type of
paper it is best to keep them out of situations that accelerate
evaporation, or agitate the air.  Again, placing them in a room with
20-40% relative humidity with a piece of paper laid over the top is a
good way to allow these to cure.  These papers are often waterproof, or
nearly so, once dry.  However, the surface may be vulnerable to coming
off if tape or something similar is applied taking off the microporous
coating, and changing the texture of the paper, and removing some of the
ink.  These papers usually also work with pigmented inks.

Swellable polymer is another paper surface technology.  In this case,
the fluid part of the ink liquefies the surface of the paper and causes
it to swell.  The ink literally becomes incorporated into the surface of
the paper, and is in part protected by the polymer, which in part covers
the ink as it mixes.  These papers usually are slow drying because the
amount of liquid necessary to wet the paper and temporarily dissolve the
surface has to be enough to soften the surface, and then it needs to dry
and reharden.  Gelatin is a form of a swellable polymer.  Today resins
are often used.  These papers, although slow drying, give better
permanence to dye colorant inks.  They tend to remain vulnerable to
water and fingerprints, but they usually don't have a surface that comes
off with an adhesive as easily as microporous papers do.  These papers
often do not work well with pigment colorant inks, because those inks
have solid matter and resins incorporated, making them less likely to
integrate into the surface properly.  Also, the extra solids tend to
make high ink areas look matte, even with a glossy paper.

In general, Epson and Canon use Micropore papers with their printers,
because it has a very shiny surface, and is "instant dry" to the touch.
Epson makes a swellable option called Colorlife which is swellable
polymer, and it is specially designed to improve color permanence of
their dye inks.  I believe this paper is made for them by Ilford
Switzerland, and sold as the "non-classic" version.

HP seems to use principally swellable polymer papers, which might
explain why they get better fade resistance with dye inks.  Epson offers
their Durabrite and Ultrachromes products as their long life inks.

Art

Ryadia wrote:

> "Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer?
>>Specifically the paper is Epson  S041706  Premium Glossy Photo Paper
>
> 255gsm.
>
>>I'd be interested in knowing the results.
>>Thanks
>>Rescho
>>

> I had a s9000 last year and sold it due to pictures fading when not exposed
> to light. I discovered that the papers which provide "instant" drying are
> the cause and Epson's premium gloss is one of them. They have ceramic dust
> for the surface which absorbs the inks but doesn't actually allow them to
> dry.
>
> Anyway, the paper produces excellent photos from these printers. I found the
> longest lasting results came from 'rag based' matte papers and had good
> lasting results with Canson semi gloss paper. Not much difference between
> this and the gloss stuff but it takes time for the inks to dry.
>
> I have some prints made a year ago with an Epson r310 printer on Epson
> S041706 paper that lay around on the counter at my shop. I also have some on
> the same paper from the s9000 and you can see very bad image fade. My advise
> on the Canon is that they make very nice prints that have to be kept away
> from the atmosphere. You can do this either by laminating the prints or
> framing them and taping the back of the frame to seal it. You might also get
> away with keeping them between leaves of a photo album. Incidently... If you
> want to test a print for fading, make one and put a strip of sticky tape
> over a part of it, put it in the path of an airconditioner and check it in 3
> or 4 weeks.
>
> Doug

0
Arthur
1/30/2005 12:40:29 PM
Rescho wrote:
> ...or any Canon printer that uses BCI-6X series cartridges.
> Rescho
> "Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>
>>Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer?
>>Specifically the paper is Epson  S041706  Premium Glossy Photo Paper 255gsm.
>>I'd be interested in knowing the results.
>>Thanks
>>Rescho

Yes, in i960, worked well. IBM glossy also worked. Kodak's glossy paaper
did not.

0
Wolf
1/30/2005 1:18:41 PM
I haven't used Epson paper in my Canon Printer. However, if you are
based in the UK, Jessops photo gloss paper in my opinion gives better
results than Canon's own paper in both 865 and iP4000 printers.

It also gave better results than Epson's paper in my old Epson 830u
photo printer.

I carried out 'blind' (i.e no one knew which paper had been used for
each print) tests with friends using 6 or 7 brands and Jessops came
out on top very significantly in each case. Other 'cheap' brands did
less well than the main brands.

I now use Jessops Photo Gloss paper for all my prints.

Harry

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:38:40 +1000, "Rescho"
<peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer?
>Specifically the paper is Epson  S041706  Premium Glossy Photo Paper 255gsm.
>I'd be interested in knowing the results.
>Thanks
>Rescho

0
Harry
1/30/2005 2:14:19 PM
"Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
> There are two main types of specialty papers used for inkjet printers,
> having quite different technologies. There are others, but they are
> mainly fine art type papers.  I am speaking here of "photo" type papers.
>
> One is Microporous papers, and the other is swellable polymer.

Thank you for the excellent tutorial on paper types.  I will add from
my limited experience with canon printer that they seem to like
the microporous paper.  Some of this type that have worked well
for me are Canon, Epson, Konica, and Office Depot.  Most of
the others that I tried were probably the swellable polymer type.
The ink pools on the surface, colors mix, and when dry have a
bronzing effect.

0
ray
1/30/2005 8:22:28 PM
Thanks for the replies, particularly Art's detailed explanation.
The reason I ask is that I want to print some panoramas and the only inkjet paper I
can find in rolls in Australia (so far) is Epson.
(Before you hit the keyboards , yes I know that the largest print dimension in a
Canon s9000 is 23" but that should be adequate for now)
Rescho

"Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer?
> Specifically the paper is Epson  S041706  Premium Glossy Photo Paper 255gsm.
> I'd be interested in knowing the results.
> Thanks
> Rescho

0
Rescho
1/30/2005 8:33:46 PM
I wonder if Jessops isn't Konica QP paper.

Konica makes a beautiful high gloss, fairly heavy weight paper that I
have always really liked the results with Epson printers.  I understand
it is often sold as a store brand.  In the US, I believe it is sold in
Office Depot as their own store product.

I have yet to find the product sold in Canada under a store brand,
although there is a product sold in Future Shop that looks a bit like it
might be Konica. Still not sure about that one.

Art

Harry wrote:

> I haven't used Epson paper in my Canon Printer. However, if you are
> based in the UK, Jessops photo gloss paper in my opinion gives better
> results than Canon's own paper in both 865 and iP4000 printers.
>
> It also gave better results than Epson's paper in my old Epson 830u
> photo printer.
>
> I carried out 'blind' (i.e no one knew which paper had been used for
> each print) tests with friends using 6 or 7 brands and Jessops came
> out on top very significantly in each case. Other 'cheap' brands did
> less well than the main brands.
>
> I now use Jessops Photo Gloss paper for all my prints.
>
> Harry
>
> On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:38:40 +1000, "Rescho"
> <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer?
>>Specifically the paper is Epson  S041706  Premium Glossy Photo Paper 255gsm.
>>I'd be interested in knowing the results.
>>Thanks
>>Rescho

0
Arthur
1/31/2005 1:09:59 PM
Interesting that your posting shows up soon after another discussing
Jessop's paper.  As I mentioned there, it is very possible Jessop's is
Konica, store-branded.  In the US, Office Depot's paper is Konica made.

Sadly, Office Depot paper in Canada is some other type, and not as nice.

Konica QP is a very nice paper, as microporous papers go.

Art

ray wrote:

> "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@telus.net> wrote in message
>
>>There are two main types of specialty papers used for inkjet printers,
>>having quite different technologies. There are others, but they are
>>mainly fine art type papers.  I am speaking here of "photo" type papers.
>>
>>One is Microporous papers, and the other is swellable polymer.
>

> Thank you for the excellent tutorial on paper types.  I will add from
> my limited experience with canon printer that they seem to like
> the microporous paper.  Some of this type that have worked well
> for me are Canon, Epson, Konica, and Office Depot.  Most of
> the others that I tried were probably the swellable polymer type.
> The ink pools on the surface, colors mix, and when dry have a
> bronzing effect.

0
Arthur

Epson paper ONLY on Epson printers?
My packet of Epson Profession Media Premium Luster Photo Paper bear the warning: "Caution: This media is manufactured for use with EPSON inkjet printers only. Using this paper with other printers or copiers may cause hardware damage." How could the paper cause hardware damage to, say, an HP inkjet printer? That seems to be implied in such a broad warning. They could have said: "This media is manufactured for use with inkjet printers only." Mason C Well, first off, I think you are correct that the major concern is that the pape...

Canon Printer with Epson Photo Paper?
Just gotten myself a canon i450. Anyone tried epson or hp photopaper with it? or should i just stick to canon paper. not too sure about the price difference though. thanx! john wrote: >Just gotten myself a canon i450. Anyone tried epson or hp photopaper with >it? or should i just stick to canon paper. not too sure about the price >difference though. I see you're in Singapore, so I doubt you will find an Office Depot nearby. :) But you might be able to order from RedRiver which apparently is very good stuff: http://www.redriverpaper.com/ I have a Canon i950 and use Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper with excellent results. I use the Canon Photo Paper Pro setting when printing and Vivid Photo setting. Mary "john" <nomail@nomail.com> wrote in message news:bj7qki$lqu$1@reader01.singnet.com.sg... > Just gotten myself a canon i450. Anyone tried epson or hp photopaper with > it? or should i just stick to canon paper. not too sure about the price > difference though. > > thanx! > > john wrote: > Just gotten myself a canon i450. Anyone tried epson or hp photopaper > with it? or should i just stick to canon paper. not too sure about > the price difference though. > > thanx! Stick with the Canon papers (for my use the PRO is great, but overkill compared to Plus), or some of the Red River or Office Depot papers recommended by others (which I have not personall...

Epson ColorLife paper in a Canon photo printer ?
Howdy Is anyone using Epson ColorLife paper in one of the latest Canon 6-color photo printers ? If so: care to report on settings andor results ? Thanks .... Stan I find this a difficult paper to use in Epson scanners that have a profile for it. ...

New Canon iPF 5000 photo printer better than Epson K-3 printers??
Hi all. I just came across this very favorable review of a new Canon photo printer with 12 (yes, twelve) ink carts. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/canon-ipf5000.shtml. The reviewer is very positive on this printer and sees it as a strong competitor to the Epson 4800. What do you all think? Check out the cost of cartridges! Oh, the review didn't speak about a capability to print on CDs. :) Joe Average ...

Printer driver missing from Epson Web site for Epson 2200 printers
There's no appropriate printer driver on the Epson Web site for Epson Stylus Photo printers using OS 10.4x. There are printer drivers on the page for Intel-based Macs using OS 10.4x, but my computer is a Quicksilver desktop G4, which is not Intel-based. (http://epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14402&prodoid=20306147&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh) The two following drivers appear to be the closest, but neither one is the right one. I wrote to Epson about this oversight, but I haven't heard back from it yet. Does anyon...

HP printer vs. Canon printer

Epson Printer Utility, where did my printers go?
I've tried Googling this issue but there is precious little information (that I can understand) out there. I recently had my TiBook upgraded to OSX Tiger. I cannot print to either my Epson Stylus 777, or the C60, as the jobs stop themselves every time I try. In the past, I would open up trusty Epson Printer Utility, determine what the problem was, and fix it. Well, I was able to find my printer utility, but there are no printers in the list and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to make them appear there. My system was upgraded using a site license so I do not ...

I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi. Plus they are about the same price on newegg.com. Are there any features that the i860 has that the MP360 doesn't? Otherwise why not get the MP360 and get a scanner too. any info would be appreciated. Canon i860 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9387&item=9442&section=10214 Canon MP360 http://www.usa.canon.com/html/conCprProductDetail.jsp?modelid=9527&item=9632&section=10223 Most people BUY a product based on how THEY will use the product. Maybe the first think you need to do sort out is your own imaging needs. "sydemon" <sydegun@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:49cf01cc.0405051118.15975f6@posting.google.com... : I'm trying to decide between a Canon i860 and a Canon MP360. The : MP360 is a printer/scanner/copier while the i860 is a Photo Printer. : I've compared the two units closely and can't see many differences, : except the i850 uses 4 cartridges instead of the usual 2 and is a bit : faster. They both can print borderless photos, can print on photo : paper, and print 4800x1200 dpi...

epson printer & epson matte paper question
i'm using the os x driver for epson's stylus photo 1200... and i just realized that it has no output media setting for matte paper. should i simply use the photo ink jet setting? or is there way to more properly calibrate for matte paper? Tia, ...

Epson Printer Paper
Greetings to this newsgroup.... I currently use an epson stylus c82 colour printer, when printing i currently use the A4 paper that can conveniently slide into place, the thing is i want to print accounts onto A3 paper and wonder whether or how i would go about doing that. If there is anyone that can help it would be most appreciated............. Regards Chris "Chris Suckling" <csba17084@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:rzryf.144684$vl2.68977@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > I currently use an epson stylus c82 colour printer, when printing i...

Epson or Canon Printer..
It's time to buy a new photo printer and I've always used Epson, my current model is the Stylus Photo 820. But I see Canon has quite a few nice photo printers. In the past my Epson prints were better than my neighbor's Canon prints. Is Epson still a better photo printer? In the past, I was told the Canon print cartridge had the print head so changing the cartridge was like getting a new print head. Is that true? I ask because I know my Epson doesn't work like that and I've learned how to use Windex on the little sponge in the printer to clean the clogged print head...

Which Printer Should I buy? Canon IP4000, Canon I865, Epson R300
Which is the best printer? Main points below. 1. Accuracy when printing to CD/DVD (My old Epson 900 was a devil to set up) going off center and needed adjusting. 2. Economy. Although I can get the ink for about the same cost which printer performs best. 3. Print quality Photo / CD DVD To put it into perspective here are the best prices I have found for the printers so far. 1. Epson R300 �84.95 2. Canon I865 �119.99 3. Canon IP4000 �99.99 Thanks Mike I have the R300 and love it. I do not love the price of the replacement ink. I have printed about 200 DVD and CD labels with it and have not had a problem. The software that comes with the printer has performed well. Check out the options for re-inking of this machine and you will be pleased with it. I believe that Canon has the same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for Epson, I don't know about Canon. Pipermedic In article pipermedic says... > I believe that Canon has the > same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount > of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for > Epson, I don't know about Canon. > > > Canon carts don't have chips. If you like R300 why not consider R200? Same thing without frills. Definitely Epson R300. But you said: "2. Economy. Although I can get th...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

Overclock Epson printer ? What makes a printer speedy ?
Hi, My beloved Epson 580 only suffers from its speed (well, lack of, I mean). I wonder if there's a way to "overclock" a printer. I mean, what makes a difference in speed between two printers, say Epson. Is it just a different motor ? If so, is it really cheaper to have so many different motors as speed increases in the range. Is it build-in memory ? Could the printer be slowed down because its "cheap" build would not bear greater speed, like processors are (tested to give them their actual speed). Thanks. The most common reason one printer is faster is that it has a larger print head, more nozzels and can lay down a wider stripe of ink per pass. http://www.jonlayephotography.com ...

BEWARE EPSON UK censoring or blocking printer reviews that point to shoddy support and service
I wrote an honest inoffensive detailed response to an Epson 7890 Wide Format Printer review request from Epson. They obviously don't like honesty which puts their entire own website review system into disrepute. Which I guess applies to many home grown reviews. Treat with caution and try to find independent review sites. So I shall give my review here which will hopefully filter into the real world. 1: The 7890 is a very nice machine but huge and very heavy. It's a four man job to move it but NO HANDLES or lifting points are provided. So if you think you might have it upst...

Printer Ink

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

canvas paper and canon printer
I have been given a couple of sheets of canvas paper and I would like to know the paper setting I should use on my Canon IP4200 printer. There is no dedicated canvas setting. "Martin Waddell" <lobster@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:fkWjm.236933$l73.206695@newsfe11.ams2... > I have been given a couple of sheets of canvas paper and I would like to > know the paper setting I should use on my Canon IP4200 printer. There is no > dedicated canvas setting. Won't Canon tell you via email? It'd seem in their interest to do so, and to warn you...

HP Paper with Canon Printer?
Hello, I was told that HP inkjet paper should not be used with Canon inkjet printers. Do you know if this true? My printer is a Canon, and I want to use HP double-sided paper for quality brochures. Thanks. Talal Itani "Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote in message news:mZqSh.669$ok6.630@trnddc07... > Hello, > > I was told that HP inkjet paper should not be used with Canon inkjet > printers. Do you know if this true? My printer is a Canon, and I want to > use HP double-sided paper for quality brochures. Thanks. > > Ta...

Resetter printer canon epson
Reset Printer Canon BJC-3000/6x00/7x00/8000 1. Power off printer 2. Hold Resume button then press and hold POWER, the beeper wil sound once. 3. Hold POWER and release RESUME 4. Press RESUME twice 5. When the indicator lights steady, press RESUME three(3) times The indicator should be orange. 6. Press Power to set data more on 'Free Resetter Software (http://canon-printer-resetter.blogspot.com) epson 'Epson Resetter Printer Service Manual and Repair (http://epsonresetter.blogspot.com ...

Are Canon Printers As Good As Epson?
I'm nearly ready to buy a new printer and am sick of the Epson ink bullshit- constant head clogging and cleaning of inks- but like their printer output. My girlfriend has a lower end Canon and loves it over the Epson she once had. I'm in the market for whatever high end printer Canon may have. My questions are- Is the output as good as Epson; Do they now have archival inks; Can the inks be refilled with one of the higher end ink systems like the Epsons; Is there a similar head clogging problem with Canon; I'm working on large scale panoramas- does Canon have facilities ...

Web resources about - Epson paper in Canon printer - comp.periphs.printers

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Recycled printer toner to be used in new road surface in Canberra
Recycled printer toner powder will be trialled in a new asphalt mix designed to reduce the ACT's carbon footprint.

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Philips Hue Starter Kit $120, LifeProof FRĒ iPhone 6 Case $30, Brother AirPrint ...
... FRĒ Waterproof iPhone 6 Case in multiple colors: $30 shipped (Reg. $72) Get ready to file your taxes w/ this Brother AirPrint Laser Printer ...

You can trick a smartphone fingerprint scanner in just 15 minutes with a printer
It's possible to trick a smartphone's fingerprint scanner with just 15 minutes, a regular inkjet printer, and some special ink. Researchers ...

In a World of Smart Everything, Printers Have Finally Caught Up
... we’re saying is, we want to avoid meeting places that, well, should have never become meeting places. What are we talking about? Slow printers. ...