Epson USB printer tries LPT1 port, can't install it to USB.

A friend has a C84 Epson that she installed incorrectly by accident she
had the USB's plugged in "before" installation. She has installed her
drivers and printer however now instead of using a USB it is trying to
go LPT1. I have tried to uninstall that printer and driver however every
time I restart the computer it builds the driver base to the LPT1 by
default. I can't stop it rebuilding the incorrect drivers at restart. I
have looked Printer/ Properties/Details/Ports Here it has LPT1 in the
Print To The Following Port. In the drop down list it has LPT1, File,&
Com Port1 (no USB). I can not get it to install using the USB? I have
tried everything from uninstalling everything, trying a new USB cord,
uninstalling from Add/Remove, Device Manager, deleted out the LTP1 and
Com Ports from the device manager and from the Control Panel. It keeps
coming up to LPT1. I don't know much more to try w/ that printer. Can
anyone tell how to correct the problem? I know that she had tried to
install the USB printer improperly according to the manual if that helps
trouble shoot it issue. And that since both USB ports were being used I
guess it tried to install to LPT1? Other than that I need someone else
to help her install get correctly. Her operating system is a Win98SE.
0
sundance

I would bet the problem is that the USB driver for the printer is written
for XP and ME only. It really should not make that much of a difference if
the printer were plugged in or not when the drivers were installed. Many USB
drivers/devices do not support Win98SE (even if they say they do) or require
special drivers to do so.
I have always found the Epson technical support very responsive. They will
usually answer Email within 24 hours.
You might also want to contact www.usbman.com . This site is very helpful at
sorting out USB problems.
However if the driver does not work with Win98SE you upgrade or use the
parallel port.

0
bmoag
6/26/2004 3:53:19 AM
bmoag wrote:
> I would bet the problem is that the USB driver for the printer is written
> for XP and ME only. It really should not make that much of a difference if
> the printer were plugged in or not when the drivers were installed. Many USB
> drivers/devices do not support Win98SE (even if they say they do) or require
> special drivers to do so.
> I have always found the Epson technical support very responsive. They will
> usually answer Email within 24 hours.
> You might also want to contact www.usbman.com . This site is very helpful at
> sorting out USB problems.
> However if the driver does not work with Win98SE you upgrade or use the
> parallel port.

that Epson printer worked well before she reformatted her computer, she
never changed she kept her Win98SE as before
0
sundance

usb port error can't install printer
Hi I am attempting to install a Lexmark and or a HP USB printer. In either case it loads so far then errors out claiming a USB port error. I have removed the USB to reinstall the drivers. I also tried installing the software prior to plugging in the printer. Also tried plugging in the printer and using XP's driver with the same results. A new cable and different ports were tried with the same results Any advised appreciated Rick I forgot to add there is nothing error out in the device manager and anything else plugged into the ports works fine "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message news:M6mdne0KTo-We4vcRVn-oA@bright.net... > Hi > > I am attempting to install a Lexmark and or a HP USB printer. In either case > it loads so far then errors out claiming a USB port error. > > I have removed the USB to reinstall the drivers. I also tried installing the > software prior to plugging in the printer. Also tried plugging in the > printer and using XP's driver with the same results. A new cable and > different ports were tried with the same results > > Any advised appreciated > > Rick > > Rick wrote: > I forgot to add there is nothing error out in the device manager and > anything else plugged into the ports works fine > > > "Rick" <rickk@bright.net> wrote in message > news:M6mdne0KTo-We4vcRVn-oA@bright.net... > &...

can't find my USB ports to install new printer
Just got a printer for my new computer (Win 98SE). When I try and install the printer (Lexmark Z601) everything is fine up until the point where the wizard asks me what port to install it onto. The list that's offered doessn't include USB. I've checked in the BIOS and USB is enable. Had a look in Control Panel > Device Manager, and under USB I found the following listed: 3 USB icons with no description! USB 2.0 Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub USB Root Hub VIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller via VT83C572/VT182C586 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller via...

can't print from usb epson printer

HP printer can't find USB port
I just got a HP6122 inkjet printer. I'm trying to hook it up to a new Dell computer. I go through the add a new printer wizard and add the printer (using LPT1, because I can't find USB). When I go back through properties and try to change the port to USB, no USB ports show up in the list. All the LPT and COM ports and other stuff show up, but no USB. The ports do show up in the device manager - under control panel, system, hardware, device manager. Why don't the USB ports show up on the "ports" tab of the "properties" for the printer? Any ideas? On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 08:55:30 -0500, in comp.periphs.printers "Jim" <powrmatic@erols.com> wrote: >I just got a HP6122 inkjet printer. I'm trying to hook it up to a new Dell >computer. I go through the add a new printer wizard and add the printer >(using LPT1, because I can't find USB). When I go back through properties >and try to change the port to USB, no USB ports show up in the list. All >the LPT and COM ports and other stuff show up, but no USB. The ports do >show up in the device manager - under control panel, system, hardware, >device manager. > >Why don't the USB ports show up on the "ports" tab of the "properties" for >the printer? > >Any ideas? Have you ever used them? If not check to see they are enabled in the machine's BIOS. "Jim&qu...

cfgadm can't set up USB printer
I have a HP 1020 laser printer that I'm using on my XP box. I would like to move it to me Solaris X86 (v10.3) box. When I move the USB cord to the solaris machine, I can not seem to get cfgadm to configure the printer. When I first plug the printer into the machine and run cfgadm I get: .... usb3/2 unknown disconnected unconfigured ok .... When I run the command to configure the printer, it fails as shown below. cfgadm -yc configure usb3/2 cfgadm: Hardware specific failure: Cannot issue devctl to ap_id: /devices/pci@0,0/pci8086,244e@1e/pci2020,8888@b,3:2...

LPT1 to USB Printer Won't print
I have a shiny new HP LJ 1020 USB printer attached to an XP workstation. The printer is shared, and my trusty old Clipper program's batch file attaches the printer to lpt1: net use lpt1 \\x\hplaserj /persistent:yes Everything looks good, the program prints to lpt1, no errors. The print job file shows up in the printer's queue, but... it doesn't print. Not only that, but it won't delete and it won't let any other print jobs through... the only way I can get it to delete is to power cycle the printer. Actually, I have two instances of this: one at a customer's site, ...

Can't set up the HP Printer on DSL Box on the Shared Printer port...
Hi Group, Maybe wrong group, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. I feel a bit of a berk that I can't repeat on my own machine but I did on the girlfriends! We have a Draytek Wireless G router and it's got a USB port on the back to enable 'network printing'. We've both got Windows XP and I'm going bonkers. The driver is installed on my machine, and the IP of the router is 192.168.1.1 (which is the printer). I've added a TCP\IP port in the Ports Tab, and ticked it. When I unplug the printer locally from the USB and plonk it in the router, the pri...

Can't add a usb Cannon i960 printer
Could someone please help. I have just added a new server with a fresh install of Linux Centos server. I have added my HP1320n network printer to the server without a problem but I can not get my Cannon i960 Bubble jet printer to work on this system. What has me frustrated is I had this usb printer working just fine on my old Red Hat 7.1 Linux server. What I'm hoping to do is add this Cannon i960 as a local printer and then via samba share this printer to other pc's on my network. I have tried using the "Printer Configuration" tool and because the /dev/usb/lp0 never appears as one of the choices I have been clicking custom device and entering the device file. Then for the queue type I have been choosing Raw queue. I chose Raw as the queue type because I figured the data would be sent in raw form from a pc that has the correct driver to Centos and to the printer. I am fairly confident that my hardware is detecting the printer via usb because I can do a lsusb and the printer appears as on e of devices. I have even tried connecting a flash drive to the usb port and doing a lsusb and it detects the drive. Would anyone have any ideas what could be causing this to not print. Every time I try adding the printer and printing a test page, it just states that cups is waiting for the printer to connect, and it just leaves a file in the /var/spool/cups dir name something like c00001 etc. I have even tried #echo 'Hello&#...

Can't see a shared USB printer from 9.1
USB printer shared from Intel iMac. I can see it from my PBook (10.4.6) but cannot from the USB Printer Sharing control panel on my OS 9.1 Mac. The instructions here <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107060> refer to using Classic on the OS X box to enable printer sharing to OS 9, but obviously that's not possible on my iMac. Is there another solution? I can't share the printer off the OS 9 Mac as it does not have built-in USB. On Sat, 6 May 2006 19:36:36 -0400, Dave Balderstone wrote (in article <060520061736362146%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca&...

Can't add usb printer (Expert help needed)
When going to the "add printer" the USB printer ports do not show under "use the following port" or as an option under "create a new port" I've tested the USB with other devices without problems. The laptop is a year old running XP with SP3. I know the fix is in the registry I'm just not sure how exactly. "davidg35" <davidg35@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bfec6073-f7cd-4cf9-b285-6ab0de08f8b3@v1g2000pra.googlegroups.com... > When going to the "add printer" the USB printer ports do not show > under "us...

Epson USB printer doesn't work with D-Link print server
Is there a print server than will wok with OS 9.1, with a USB printer? And or, with a LaserWriter Select 360? -Dennis -- Dennis Kessler http://denniskessler.com/acupuncture ...

Why can't a USB HP printer (PSC 2110) be used remotely in a normal fashion?
I have a HP PSC 2110 printer. The manual says explicitely that it can't be used remotely, without a USB-on-LAN box. Why is this? Quote from the manual: "If you want to connect more than one computer to your HP PSC in a networked environment, you can do so using an HP JetDirect 175x and USB (Windows and Macintosh), but only print functionality will be available for the HP PSC." Weird. All other printers seem to be possible to connect to any Windows PC on the network and be used from all others, but not this HP PSC 2110. Is there something in Windows or the printer itself that ...

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr´┐Ż Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server > with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer > server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the > printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one > printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any > one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? > > Thank you Andre, Check this http://www.surecom-net.com/pd-wireless-9910sx.htm not sure if the product is available yet. Sujit ...

HP USB printer disappears from 10.2.8 Print Center, can't add back
I have an HP PSC 2175xi USB printer, with the latest drivers and software (6.07) installed on my MacOS 10.2.8 (Power Macintosh G3 with PCI plugin USB). Everything was working fine, then I got "No Printers Selected" on my Print Dialog Box, and the Print Center had been emptied. When I attempt to Add the printer, I get "An error occurred while trying to add the selected printers. Error 1282". I have tried: - reconnecting the USB - connecting directly to the computer (without a hub) - reinstalling the HP printer software and drivers (after uninstalling) - recreating the /...

Does parallel to usb work for usb printer to parallel port?
My inlaws have a dinosaur pc, one usb port which contains their cable modem. Parallel printer died, so they bought a usb, Canon s330, they are very computer illiterate. My question is, what's the best way to get them printing capabilites? I've thought of usb hub to share port with modem (not recommended by ISP), return printer for a parallel one (spend more money) install another usb card (more money) or buy a usb to parallel adapter...if they work from usb printer to parallel port. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks, Don On 12 Jul 2003 20:19:32 GMT, doninwny@aol.com (Don in WNY) wr...

Can't delete printer from Printers Folder
When I open my Start/Settings/Printer folder and select the printer I need to delete, I get a Spool error and the computer freezes. This happens as soon as I click on the printer icon. I have other printers installed that work fine. But any time I change printers in a program like Word and I scroll past the bad printer I get the spool error and have to restart. Thanks, Patrick Les Moore wrote: > When I open my Start/Settings/Printer folder and select the printer I > need to delete, I get a Spool error and the computer freezes. This > happens as soon as I click on the...

Can USB print server damage a USB printer
I ran into a strange problem with a Linksys PSUS4 USB print server. Its been connected to a Canon 6550 multifunction printer for months and suddenly it stopped working after someone tried to print to the Canon using the wrong printer driver. After going through the print servers admin utliity to check its status I found everything to be normal. It even claimed the printer was online and idle but when I would try to print it would fail. Even the Test Page sent from the print servers admin utility would fail. I tried resetting the printer server using the little reset button. Also unplug...

Can't install a printer
Hi all, I have debian installed with KDE. I am on a local network which works and I can connect to the other computer perfectly, especially the server (ssh works). I would like to connect to a printer of this network. It is on a server running suse 8.0 with no CUPS server installed. The printer works on the server. I tried to install the printer on my computer as a printer connected to a remote lpd queue but it doesn't work. I am sure lp queue and host I specified are correct. But it doesn't work. Thank you for any help, Simone ...

DOS LPT1 printer to USB port ?
A friend of mine has an old DOS program that only prints to LPT ports. His printer is connected to his USB port under XP. Is there any way he can get the DOS program redirected to se the USB printer ? Thanks, "- Bob -" <uctraing@ultranet.com> wrote in message news:2mc192p6r3d10tjmasiif6k82t4vjqbvuq@4ax.com... >A friend of mine has an old DOS program that only prints to LPT ports. > His printer is connected to his USB port under XP. Is there any way he > can get the DOS program redirected to se the USB printer ? Bruce Sanderson's Printer FAQ site...

2000 client can install but can't print to a shared printer on XP workstation
I see that a lot of post for similar problems but no answers that I have not tried. Problem. HP 982C printer installed on LPT 1 Windows XP home computer and is shared as deskjet. Windows 2000 laptop can see the printer and install it and file sharing works fine. When going to print a test page it immidatley fails. When printing from notepad error message 'invalid handle', word reports print job failed. From the 2000 machine I can see the xp computers print jobs enter and exit. Tried. Reinstalling the drivers on the XP machine. and I have installed the drivers on the 2000 machi...

2000 client can install but can't print to a shared printer on XP workstation
I see that a lot of post for similar problems but no answers that I have not tried. Problem. HP 982C printer installed on LPT 1 Windows XP home computer and is shared as deskjet. Windows 2000 laptop can see the printer and install it and file sharing works fine. When going to print a test page it immidatley fails. When printing from notepad error message 'invalid handle', word reports print job failed. From the 2000 machine I can see the xp computers print jobs enter and exit. Tried. Reinstalling the drivers on the XP machine. and I have installed the drivers on the 2000 machi...

Move document between printers / More than one printer when changing USB port
I have an annoying problem in XP. I have only one printer, but if I plug it in a different printer port - XP insists it's a differnt printer!!! Stupid XP seems to do this with all USB devices (suggestion/complaint sent to MS). So I ended up with a load of documents in a dead queue, so why can't I just move them to the correct queue? The driver etc etc is the same as it's the same actual printer!!!! -- 11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com Tell a man tha...

USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port
i9900 printer works by USB connection. A USB 2.0 cable was connected from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any problem printing images. Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0 hub (Ultra from RadioShack). The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet. With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well. But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it prints only a half an inch of images. But the cable was connect to a USB port in the tower, it starts to print pictures. It seems that c...

usb printer won't register
I've got a new usb printer for my dual boot pc I have not been able to get working under linux. I've tried booting into linux with the printer on as well as turning it on after linux was running with no sucsess. I'm sure the cable & ports are fine as I can print under Windows. I'm sure the basic usb system is working under linux as I can connect my digital camera via usb, & view the pictures. "cat filename.txt > /dev/usb/lp0" does nothing but returns no errors. I'm guessing the problem stems from the printer module not registering. I'm out of ...

Web resources about - Epson USB printer tries LPT1 port, can't install it to USB. - comp.periphs.printers