Epson vs Canon

Has anyone had experience of both? I notice (after reading a review) that
the 'R' series also has 8 colours, but has lost the PC and PM in favour of
an extra black, red and *blue* - and a 'gloss optimiser". The i9950 (which I
have) still has PC and PM and the addition of red and *green*. Every review
I've read has rated the Canon over the Epson (this was the i990 vs the
R800). Does blue make a difference to green and what does the 'gloss
optimiser' do? After all, if you want gloss you simply use glossy media,
surely?! Or am I missing something?

0
Miss

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>Has anyone had experience of both? I notice (after reading a review) that
>the 'R' series also has 8 colours, but has lost the PC and PM in favour of
>an extra black, red and *blue* - and a 'gloss optimiser". The i9950 (which I
>have) still has PC and PM and the addition of red and *green*. Every review
>I've read has rated the Canon over the Epson (this was the i990 vs the
>R800). Does blue make a difference to green and what does the 'gloss
>optimiser' do? After all, if you want gloss you simply use glossy media,
>surely?! Or am I missing something?

Yes you are dear.
Surely you wouldn't settle for just glossy when you could have
"glossier"? It's for those who feel absolutes won't do and would like
something stronger. Like Starbucks and the "grande" size which normal
people would call small but "small" sounds so, well, small.
0
Rob
6/26/2004 1:57:05 AM
This doesn't directly address your question about the difference between the
Canon i9x series and the Epson R800, but the major difference between Canon
and Epson is that the latter has some models that produce excellent results
printing photos using archival pigment-based inks. Check out the Epson 2200.
Canon has nothing comparable, since all Canon consumer photo printers use
dye-based inks.
> Has anyone had experience of both? I notice (after reading a review) that
> the 'R' series also has 8 colours, but has lost the PC and PM in favour of
> an extra black, red and *blue* - and a 'gloss optimiser". The i9950 (which
> have) still has PC and PM and the addition of red and *green*. Every
review
> I've read has rated the Canon over the Epson (this was the i990 vs the
> R800). Does blue make a difference to green and what does the 'gloss
> optimiser' do? After all, if you want gloss you simply use glossy media,
> surely?! Or am I missing something?

0
Bill
6/26/2004 3:05:58 AM
I believe the gloss optimizer is used in the Epson 2200 because that printer
uses pigment inks, which don't look glossy otherwise. That was a problem for
consumers that wanted glossy prints and the optimizer was offered to solve
it.
Lola MacLean

0
Lola
6/26/2004 3:24:08 AM
If you are happy with what you are getting then there is nothing to worry
about. As noted the Epson pigment printers unaided do not achieve the high
gloss finish that many printers desire so the printer adds a glossy finish.
Canon printers and Canon glossy papers achieve beautiful glossy results. How
concerned to be about archival results for ink-based prints I suppose may be
a real concern if you are selling the prints but chemical based color prints
do not last forever and neither do their owners. Alas I have but ink-based
Canon and Epson printers: all three of us can only expect limited mortality.

0
bmoag
6/26/2004 4:01:46 AM
There is a reason for the gloss optimizer.  Epson's R800 uses pigmented
inks.  The advantage of pigmented inks, as of right now, is that they
are more permanent and less likely to fade than dye inks.  That may
change over the next year or two as new inks and papers hit the market.
The problem with pigments is they tend to dry a bit more matte than most
would like, even on glossy papers.  And areas with high ink coverage
even on glossy paper, will show the ink as flat.  It looks even worse if
you look at the image at an angle, with light reflecting on it.  The
gloss optimizer coats the ink areas to make them as glossy as the areas
that are not covered in ink.  The two blacks are because for matte
papers, a denser black is needed and it is usually very matte.  Using a
second black which is more glossy, but less dense, works better on
glossy papers.

What the best ink color combinations are to give highest accuracy is
often in debate, and it does depend upon the type of inks (dye versus
pigment) and the type of color management and drivers used.  With
pigmented inks, particularly, since they are not fully transparent,
mixing certain ink colors may not provide the purity of color that a dye
ink might.  Mixing yellow and magenta pigmented inks may not make as
pure a red as a pure red pigment.  Same with blue, which is normally
made from cyan and magenta inks.

In the case of dye inks, getting a good range of greens, especially
deeper forest greens, which require cyan, magenta, yellow and black in
varying amounts are tricky to get, so some manufacturers use green.
   Some commercial ink sets add orange.

At the end, what colors are in the set is not really important to the
end user. It's sausage making.  What you should care about is how good
the output looks, what variety of papers work with the inks, how much it
costs per print, how fast the printer is, how reliable the printer is,
and, if it matters to you, how long the print is likely to last.

Art

Rob wrote:

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:
>

>>Has anyone had experience of both? I notice (after reading a review) that
>>the 'R' series also has 8 colours, but has lost the PC and PM in favour of
>>an extra black, red and *blue* - and a 'gloss optimiser". The i9950 (which I
>>have) still has PC and PM and the addition of red and *green*. Every review
>>I've read has rated the Canon over the Epson (this was the i990 vs the
>>R800). Does blue make a difference to green and what does the 'gloss
>>optimiser' do? After all, if you want gloss you simply use glossy media,
>>surely?! Or am I missing something?
>>

> Yes you are dear.
> Surely you wouldn't settle for just glossy when you could have
> "glossier"? It's for those who feel absolutes won't do and would like
> something stronger. Like Starbucks and the "grande" size which normal
> people would call small but "small" sounds so, well, small.

0
Arthur
6/26/2004 4:25:26 AM
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 20:24:08 -0700, "Lola MacLean"
<lmmaclean@removespamfreeadelphia.net> wrote:

>I believe the gloss optimizer is used in the Epson 2200 because that printer
>uses pigment inks, which don't look glossy otherwise. That was a problem for
>consumers that wanted glossy prints and the optimizer was offered to solve
>it.
>Lola MacLean

There is no gloss optimiser for the 2100/2200, only the R800.

 --

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com
<bmatthews8@comcast.net> wrote:

>This doesn't directly address your question about the difference between the
>Canon i9x series and the Epson R800, but the major difference between Canon
>and Epson is that the latter has some models that produce excellent results
>printing photos using archival pigment-based inks. Check out the Epson 2200.
>Canon has nothing comparable, since all Canon consumer photo printers use
>dye-based inks.

This always causes me to have doubts about my Canon printer.

It seems as though Canon is mostly concerned with droplet size and
Epson has bigger droplets but more permanant ink.

I would like to see a visual demonstration of what really happens when
the prints get wet, as Epson describes on their radio ads.
<< From: A@nospam.net  (Al)
Date: Sun, Jun 27, 2004 4:20 AM

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:05:58 -0600, "Bill Mathews"
<bmatthews8@comcast.net> wrote:

>This doesn't directly address your question about the difference between the
>Canon i9x series and the Epson R800, but the major difference between Canon
>and Epson is that the latter has some models that produce excellent results
>printing photos using archival pigment-based inks. Check out the Epson 2200.
>Canon has nothing comparable, since all Canon consumer photo printers use
>dye-based inks.

This always causes me to have doubts about my Canon printer.

It seems as though Canon is mostly concerned with droplet size and
Epson has bigger droplets but more permanant ink.

I would like to see a visual demonstration of what really happens when
the prints get wet, as Epson describes on their radio ads.
 >><BR><BR>
I have a Canon S900 which prints great pictures. I used to have an Epson but
switched mainly because of speed concerns. I don't know about wet prints from
the larger Pigment ink Epson models but I can tell you that those from my new
Epson 4X6 PictureMate, seem to be impervious to moisture Test I made:

print picture. Immediately place under running water and rub with finger while
doing so. Nothing happened except that the paper, being wet, curled a little
when it dried. Very impressive indeed. Same results were obtained from someone
doing an online review of this printer. That is why I tried it also to see if
the reviewer was nuts.
0
fredbillie
6/28/2004 8:50:58 AM
>> Test I made: print picture. Immediately place under running water and rub
with finger while doing so. Nothing happened except that the paper, being
wet, curled a little <<

Interesting. FWIW, I use a Canon i950 and have performed the same test using
both Red River and Office Depot papers and have gotten the same results.

"FredBillie" <fredbillie@aol.comnospam> wrote in message
>> << From: A@nospam.net  (Al)
>> Date: Sun, Jun 27, 2004 4:20 AM
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:05:58 -0600, "Bill Mathews"
>> <bmatthews8@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> This doesn't directly address your question about the difference
>>> between the Canon i9x series and the Epson R800, but the major
>>> difference between Canon and Epson is that the latter has some
>>> models that produce excellent results printing photos using
>>> archival pigment-based inks. Check out the Epson 2200. Canon has
>>> nothing comparable, since all Canon consumer photo printers use
>>> dye-based inks.
>>

>> This always causes me to have doubts about my Canon printer.
>>
>> It seems as though Canon is mostly concerned with droplet size and
>> Epson has bigger droplets but more permanant ink.
>>
>> I would like to see a visual demonstration of what really happens
>> when
>> the prints get wet, as Epson describes on their radio ads.
>>  >><BR><BR>
>> I have a Canon S900 which prints great pictures. I used to have an
>> Epson but switched mainly because of speed concerns. I don't know
>> about wet prints from the larger Pigment ink Epson models but I can
>> tell you that those from my new Epson 4X6 PictureMate, seem to be
>> impervious to moisture Test I made:
>>
>> print picture. Immediately place under running water and rub with
>> finger while doing so. Nothing happened except that the paper, being
>> wet, curled a little when it dried. Very impressive indeed. Same
>> results were obtained from someone doing an online review of this
>> printer. That is why I tried it also to see if the reviewer was nuts.

--
Colonel Blip
colonel.blip@nospambigfoot.com
Colonel
6/28/2004 12:40:50 PM
Epson has the smallest ink droplet size of any printer and it truly is
waterproof.  I have been given a print to run under water at the store.

"Al" <A@nospam.net> wrote in message news:40de9116.4385887@news.mr.net...
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:05:58 -0600, "Bill Mathews"
> <bmatthews8@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >This doesn't directly address your question about the difference between
the
> >Canon i9x series and the Epson R800, but the major difference between
Canon
> >and Epson is that the latter has some models that produce excellent
results
> >printing photos using archival pigment-based inks. Check out the Epson
2200.
> >Canon has nothing comparable, since all Canon consumer photo printers use
> >dye-based inks.
>

> This always causes me to have doubts about my Canon printer.
>
> It seems as though Canon is mostly concerned with droplet size and
> Epson has bigger droplets but more permanant ink.
>
> I would like to see a visual demonstration of what really happens when
> the prints get wet, as Epson describes on their radio ads.

0
Safetymom123
6/28/2004 9:37:49 PM
"bmoag" <aetoo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<Ky6Dc.78153$Kz6.62829@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>...
> If you are happy with what you are getting then there is nothing to worry
> about. As noted the Epson pigment printers unaided do not achieve the high
> gloss finish that many printers desire so the printer adds a glossy finish.
> Canon printers and Canon glossy papers achieve beautiful glossy results. How
> concerned to be about archival results for ink-based prints I suppose may be
> a real concern if you are selling the prints but chemical based color prints
> do not last forever and neither do their owners. Alas I have but ink-based
> Canon and Epson printers: all three of us can only expect limited mortality.

I have some for every body to take a look

Canon MultiPASS F60 Color Photo Printer/Copier/Scanner
   http://www.tigerdirect.com $100
Functions: Printer, copier, and scanner
Print speed: 20 ppm black, 13 ppm color
Print resolution: 600 x 600 dpi (black), 2,400 x 1,200 dpi (color)
Nozzle configuration:?
4 Print cartridges: BCI-3eBk Black ink tank, BCI-3eC Cyan ink tank,
   BCI-3eM Magenta ink tank, BCI-3eY Yellow ink tank

Canon i560 Desktop Photo Printer amazon $90
Print speed: Black: 22ppm Color: 15ppm Borderless 4" x 6" photo in 50 seconds
Print resolution: Up to 4800 by 1200 color dpi, 600 x 600 dpi black
Nozzles: Black: 320; Color: 512 x 2 (C, M), 256 (Y)
4 Print cartridges: BCI-6C Cyan ink tank, BCI-6M Magenta ink tank, BCI-6Y
   Yellow ink tank, BCI-3eBk Black ink tank

Canon i850 Photo Printer amazon $99.99
Print speed: 22 ppm black, 14 ppm color
Print resolution: Up to 4800 by 1200 color dpi, 600 x 600 dpi black
Nozzle configuration: Black: 320 black; color: 512 x 2 (C, M), 256 (Y)
4 Print cartriges: Ink tanks: BCI-3eC (cyan), BCI-3eM (magenta), BCI-3eY
   (yellow), BCI-3eBk (black)

Canon i860 Photo Printer amazon $119
Print speed: Black: 23 ppm (approximately 2.6 seconds per page); Color: 16
   ppm(approximately 3.8 seconds per page); 4" x 6" Borderless Photo: in
   approximately 50 seconds
Print resolution: Up to 4800 by 1200 color dpi, 600 x 600 dpi black
Nozzles: Black: 320; Color: 512 x 2 (C,M) and 256 x 2 (Y, Bk)
5 Print cartridges: BCI-6Bk Black ink tank, BCI-3eBk Black ink tank, BCI-6C
   Cyan ink tank, BCI-6M Magenta ink tank, BCI-6Y Yellow ink tank

Canon i960 Photo Printer  amazon $155
Print speed:?
Print resolution: Up to 4800 by 1200 color dpi
Nozzle configuration:?
6 Print cartridges: BCI-6Bk Black ink tank, BCI-6PC Photo Cyan ink tank, BCI-
   6PM Photo Magenta ink tank, BCI-6C Cyan ink tank, BCI-6M Magenta ink tank,
   BCI-6Y Yellow ink tank

Canon i9100 Photo Printer  amazon $280
Print speed: 4 x 6-inch color photo: approximately 37 seconds (borderless);
   8 x 10-inch color photo: approximately 1 minute (borderless)
Print resolution: Up to 4,800 by 1,200 dpi (color and black)
Nozzle configuration: 3,072 nozzles (512 x 6 colors)
6 Print cartriges: BCI-6Bk black ink tank, BCI-6C cyan ink tank, BCI-6M
   magenta ink tank, BCI-6Y yellow ink tank, BCI-6PC Photo Cyan ink tank,
   BCI-6PM Photo magenta ink tank

Canon i9900 Photo Printer  amazon $479
Color photo print speed: 4 x 6 inch borderless photo in approximately
   38 seconds
Print resolution: Up to 4800 x 2400 dpi. Resolution may vary based on
   printer driver setting. Maximum resolution of 4800 x 1200 dpi used
   at the bottom edge of the page
Nozzle configuration: 768 x 8 nozzles for color (C, M, Y, Bk, PC, PM, R, G)
8 Print cartridges: BCI-6C Cyan, BCI-6M Magenta, BCI-6Y Yellow,
   BCI-6Bk Black, BCI-6PC Photo Cyan, BCI-6PM Photo Magenta, BCI-6R Red
   and BCI-6G Green

Epson Stylus Photo R300 Inkjet Printer	Amazon.com	 Price:   $200
Print speed: 15 ppm draft mode; 37 seconds for 4 x 6" photo; 77 seconds
   for 8 x 10" photo
Print resolution: Up to 5760 x 1440 optimized dpi
Nozzle configuration: 90 nozzles x 6 (CcMmYK)
6 Print cartridges

Epson Stylus Photo R800 Inkjet Printer	Amazon.com	 Price:   $400
Print speed: Up to 17 ppm; 5x7" photo in 45 seconds
Print resolution: Up to 5760 x 1440 optimized dpi  (1.5pmd)
Nozzle configuration: 180 nozzles per cartridge
6 Print cartridges (Cyan, Magenta,Yellow, Photo Black or Matte Black, Red,
   and Blue)    Ink type: Epson UltraChrome Hi-Gloss Ink

Epson Stylus Photo 2200 Inkjet Printer	Amazon.com     Price:   $600
Print speed: Up to ?
Print resolution: Up to 2880 x 1440 optimized dpi  (1.5pmd)
Nozzle configuration: ?
7 Print cartridges

print resolution is the number of dot in one square in
who ever have number dot higher mean better picture ( but the nozzle is clog
up easier )
who ever have more  Print cartridges mean better picture

who ever have more Nozzle configuration mean faster it can print

if you have money then stick with original ink ( ink type can be different
and it could damage your print head )
if not buy cheaper print and use refill cartridges
like me I have canon f60 I love it ( $100 ) 7 months
0
the9duong9
6/29/2004 9:19:15 AM
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:37:49 GMT, "Safetymom123"
<safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Epson has the smallest ink droplet size of any printer and it truly is
>waterproof.  I have been given a print to run under water at the store.

Because of your advice I am looking at the Epson C84 to replace my
Canon i350.

One thing I don't know about the C84 is that they list two black ink
cartridge replacements - standard and high capacity. Do both black
cartridges need to be installed at the same time or is it an option of
one or the other?
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:19:47 GMT, A@nospam.net (Al) wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:37:49 GMT, "Safetymom123"
><safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote:
>
>>Epson has the smallest ink droplet size of any printer and it truly is
>>waterproof.  I have been given a print to run under water at the store.
>

>Because of your advice I am looking at the Epson C84 to replace my
>Canon i350.
>
>One thing I don't know about the C84 is that they list two black ink
>cartridge replacements - standard and high capacity. Do both black
>cartridges need to be installed at the same time or is it an option of
>one or the other?

One or the other. It depends on how much printing you do.

 --

Hecate
Hecate@newsguy.com

"henry" <the9duong9@wmconnect.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>    and Blue)    Ink type: Epson UltraChrome Hi-Gloss Ink
>
> Epson Stylus Photo 2200 Inkjet Printer Amazon.com     Price:   $600
> Print speed: Up to ?
> Print resolution: Up to 2880 x 1440 optimized dpi  (1.5pmd)
> Nozzle configuration: ?
> 7 Print cartridges
>

> print resolution is the number of dot in one square in
> who ever have number dot higher mean better picture ( but the nozzle is
clog
> up easier )
> who ever have more  Print cartridges mean better picture
>
> who ever have more Nozzle configuration mean faster it can print
>
> if you have money then stick with original ink ( ink type can be different
> and it could damage your print head )
> if not buy cheaper print and use refill cartridges
> like me I have canon f60 I love it ( $100 ) 7 months

7/1/2004 1:02:07 PM
"Safetymom123" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> More nozzles are used in thermal printing so that when one set of nozzles is
> cooling the other set is printing.  Epson doesn't use heat so it doesn't
> need more nozzles.

This is a truly bizarre suggestion.

The firing frequency of a printhead is typically limited by fluidics, the time
it takes to refill the firing chamber.  You could design a print with one
nozzle per color, but it would taka a very long time since printing an inch at
1200 dpi would take 1200 passes of the printhead.  A print with a 600 dpi swath
1" high (600 nozzles) would print a 1200 dpi swath in two passes of the print.
In general the more nozzles the faster printing will be, all else being equal.
Smaller drops will require more drop firings to cover a given area at a given
ink flux.

 - Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP

0
Bob
7/2/2004 2:16:57 AM
"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <misstick@lancre.dw> wrote:

>Has anyone had experience of both? I notice (after reading a review) that
>the 'R' series also has 8 colours, but has lost the PC and PM in favour of
>an extra black, red and *blue* - and a 'gloss optimiser". The i9950 (which I
>have) still has PC and PM and the addition of red and *green*. Every review
>I've read has rated the Canon over the Epson (this was the i990 vs the
>R800). Does blue make a difference to green and what does the 'gloss
>optimiser' do? After all, if you want gloss you simply use glossy media,
>surely?! Or am I missing something?

Jumping in VERY late here I see that the old Canon versus Epson wars
are still going strong.

You say every review?  Really?  Did you read the fine print in these
reviews?  Was print longevity taken in to account?  That is a
rhetorical question since, if what you say were true, it could not
have been.  I realize that many here do not really care if their
prints last that long and are willing to reprint etc.  That is fine,
but seems very odd to me considering that it DOUBLES the cost of
printing and everyone here seems to hate the high costs of print
supplies.  Others seem happy to spray their prints for added
longevity.  I say whatever floats your boat!  However, why not buy a
printer that rates at the top AND makes prints that your grandchildren
will be able to enjoy by showing their children how our generation
looked?  I know I really enjoy our old family photos.

Check out the reviews of the R800 and i990 at
http://www.photo-i.co.uk/.  They give the Epson R800 an overall score
of "96.6%   Highly Recommended" and, while they give the Canon
i990/i9950 a Rating of "96 - A superb printer - highly recommended".
It seems like a pretty close match to me as have other reviews I have
read.  However, they ALSO say:

"One problem which Canon must address is print fade. There have been
many posts on the photo-i forum and other site forums from people who
are having serious problems with this. Most of these can be put down
to not displaying or storing prints properly. I have had prints
created with my S900 and even the 8200 which have been on display for
a couple or more years and they still look fresh. I also have some
prints which have been pinned up in the kitchen which have faded badly
in less than two months. I know Canon have done a silent upgrade to
their media and have improved the coating etc. (the new stock is
watermarked on the back), I think they could be doing much more on
this. The reason I mention this, is because there are going to be many
serious photographers who will want to exhibit their work and
ultimately even sell their pictures. The i9950 will provide all the
quality that is necessary, but this needs to be backed up with stable
long lasting media."

I see some here who claim they have no problem with their photos
lasting.  I also have seen 200+ pound women in spandex pants and thong
bathing suits so forgive me if I do not accept the judgement of the
average user.  ;^) I do not recall any who have said their pictures
last more than a few years even when stored in an album.  They
CERTAINLY will not last 50 to 70 or more years that the Epson will.
Enjoy your Canon printers, they do print beautifully, but so do Epson
and their pictures will last!
0
Richard

Printer comparison: Epson R800 vs Canon 9900
A friend is looking to replace an Epson 890 printer. The candidates he's considering are the R800 and 9900. He's aware of the fact that the 9900 supports wider media, but is mainly interested in image quality comparisons. Has anyone made any? Thanks, Jason J Warren wrote: > A friend is looking to replace an Epson 890 printer. The candidates he's > considering are the R800 and 9900. He's aware of the fact that the 9900 > supports wider media, but is mainly interested in image quality > comparisons. Has anyone made any? > > Thanks, > Jason Both a...

Newest Canons vs. Epsons
I am about to buy a new photo printer. My old Epson Stylus Photo 870 has been good. Now, for my specifications. Cost - Under $250 Inks - Must be six ink of better and of latest archival evolution (ex. Chromlife, etc) Papers - I tend to use high-end paper developed by the actual manufacturer Basically, I use Photoshop to restore damaged photos. The pictures I sell should be able to last 20-30 years under glass, and should be as good as those produced by an automated photo developing machine. This all said - which model is going to be best between Epson and Canon? Thanks ...

Epson RX500 vs Canon MP700/730 Multifunction Printers
Any thoughts or experience on these multifunction printers. I am leaning toward the Epson RX500 as it would replace my Epson 820 printer and 1660 scanner. I want the ability to print quality photos and scan negs and slides. I see Canon has a MP700 and MP730, but I don't see the slide/neg scanning capability of the Epson and cannot tell if the Canon is four or six color. Considering the Canon only because many in the group seem to like them. Any input is apreciated. Jerry B ...

HP printer vs. Canon printer

PS Printer Management vs. Epson Printer Management
Why, on many of the prints I make, I must use Epson's color management, rather than PS's color management, to get a print that most closely matches my monitor? I have an Epson 1280 that I've profiled using GretagMacbeth's Eye-One system. I profiled it for Epson's Premium Photo Glossy paper and MIS inks. Too frequently, when I run a test on 4x6 Epson Premium Photo Glossy paper (soft-proofing is a waste of time for me), I find that, using my profile & letting PS manage the printing, that the print fails miserably to match my monitor's image. (I recalibrate & prof...

HP 5150 vs. Epson C84 vs. Canon i560
They are all about $100. 1. Which offers best print quality? 2. Which is the least likely to clog from infrequent use? 3. Which is cheapest to operate with factory ink? 4. Which is most refill friendly? "davefr" <nospam@net.com> wrote in message news:iom4uv0pc8fmjihk7qd2h98tjise6vnib8@4ax.com... > They are all about $100. > > 1. Which offers best print quality? I'd give this to the HP 5150. > 2. Which is the least likely to clog from infrequent use? HP 5150. > 3. Which is cheapest to operate with factory ink? Canon i560/Epson C84 > 4. Which is most refill friendly? Don't know. I refuse to refill after the mess with my other cartridge. Epson and Canon cartridges are cheap enough. HP cartridges can be bought at a decent price from Costco. On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 05:35:53 GMT, "xNokia3390x" <ofc2-ivom@spamex.com> wrote: >"davefr" <nospam@net.com> wrote in message >news:iom4uv0pc8fmjihk7qd2h98tjise6vnib8@4ax.com... >> They are all about $100. >> >> 1. Which offers best print quality? > >I'd give this to the HP 5150. > >> 2. Which is the least likely to clog from infrequent use? > >HP 5150. > >> 3. Which is cheapest to operate with factory ink? > >Canon i560/Epson C84 > I think canon has a slight to noticeable edge on price. >> 4. Which is most refill friendly? >...

Which Printer Should I buy? Canon IP4000, Canon I865, Epson R300
Which is the best printer? Main points below. 1. Accuracy when printing to CD/DVD (My old Epson 900 was a devil to set up) going off center and needed adjusting. 2. Economy. Although I can get the ink for about the same cost which printer performs best. 3. Print quality Photo / CD DVD To put it into perspective here are the best prices I have found for the printers so far. 1. Epson R300 �84.95 2. Canon I865 �119.99 3. Canon IP4000 �99.99 Thanks Mike I have the R300 and love it. I do not love the price of the replacement ink. I have printed about 200 DVD and CD labels with it and have not had a problem. The software that comes with the printer has performed well. Check out the options for re-inking of this machine and you will be pleased with it. I believe that Canon has the same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for Epson, I don't know about Canon. Pipermedic In article pipermedic says... > I believe that Canon has the > same type of chip on its cartridges. They only allow a certain amount > of ink to be dispensed and then they stop. There is a workaround for > Epson, I don't know about Canon. > > > Canon carts don't have chips. If you like R300 why not consider R200? Same thing without frills. Definitely Epson R300. But you said: "2. Economy. Although I can get th...

Epson Perfection 4990: Pro vs Photo, vs Canon 9950F
Anyone know what the difference is between the Epson 4990 Photo and the 4990 Pro, other than the price? Is there any difference in hardware or supplied accessories, or just the included software? I will be scanning primarily photos, some of which are very old and need to be cleaned up, but I might also try scanning my 30+ year old set of slides. I use Photoshop, but I am not particularly proficient at photo re-touching, so I would like the scanner to do some of the hard work in terms of improving the images, before I work on them. I will be replacing my Epson Perfection 1200, ...

Canon vs Epson
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can provide feedback on which 2400 dpi scanner would perform best. Have been looking at the Canon 5000F and the Epson Perfection 2400. Both are about the same price- a little under $200 - fits my budget. The Canon has the FARE enhancement software which sounds pretty useful, although I am not sure how really good a job it does. I need a scanner with a little more features and resolution than my puny 600 dpi Visioneer 4400 USB :-) Also need to scan 35mm slides once in a while - another question on which scanner can handle such a task adequately. Thanks, ...

Epson vs Canon?
I've been looking into good all-rounders, inkjets, for my home office. In terms of manufacturers, it seems to come down to a battle between Epson and Canon. Both have good all-round performers in the middle, middle-low price bracket. The Epson's seem to have a higher resolution, 5700 as compared to the Canon's 4800 dpi, but people, in review, seem to like the Canon, I think it's the I865, or something like that, as compared to Epson's R300? I think those are the model numbers, although I'm working from memory. The thing is, last time I bought a printer, about six years ago, Epson were kings of the inkjet pile, with stylus ruling the roost. Last time I bought anything by Canon, it was a camera, I have no ideas if their printers are any good. Can anyone tell me if Canon make good printers, and how they match up to the Epsons? Thanks. The Crow wrote: > I've been looking into good all-rounders, inkjets, for my home > office. In terms of manufacturers, it seems to come down to a battle > between Epson and Canon. Both have good all-round performers in the > middle, middle-low price bracket. The Epson's seem to have a higher > resolution, 5700 as compared to the Canon's 4800 dpi, but people, in > review, seem to like the Canon, I think it's the I865, or something > like that, as compared to Epson's R300? I think those are the model > numbers, although I'm working from memory...

Epson or Canon Printer..
It's time to buy a new photo printer and I've always used Epson, my current model is the Stylus Photo 820. But I see Canon has quite a few nice photo printers. In the past my Epson prints were better than my neighbor's Canon prints. Is Epson still a better photo printer? In the past, I was told the Canon print cartridge had the print head so changing the cartridge was like getting a new print head. Is that true? I ask because I know my Epson doesn't work like that and I've learned how to use Windex on the little sponge in the printer to clean the clogged print head...

New Canon iPF 5000 photo printer better than Epson K-3 printers??
Hi all. I just came across this very favorable review of a new Canon photo printer with 12 (yes, twelve) ink carts. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/printers/canon-ipf5000.shtml. The reviewer is very positive on this printer and sees it as a strong competitor to the Epson 4800. What do you all think? Check out the cost of cartridges! Oh, the review didn't speak about a capability to print on CDs. :) Joe Average ...

Resetter printer canon epson
Reset Printer Canon BJC-3000/6x00/7x00/8000 1. Power off printer 2. Hold Resume button then press and hold POWER, the beeper wil sound once. 3. Hold POWER and release RESUME 4. Press RESUME twice 5. When the indicator lights steady, press RESUME three(3) times The indicator should be orange. 6. Press Power to set data more on 'Free Resetter Software (http://canon-printer-resetter.blogspot.com) epson 'Epson Resetter Printer Service Manual and Repair (http://epsonresetter.blogspot.com ...

Epson paper in Canon printer
Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer? Specifically the paper is Epson S041706 Premium Glossy Photo Paper 255gsm. I'd be interested in knowing the results. Thanks Rescho ....or any Canon printer that uses BCI-6X series cartridges. Rescho "Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:41fc8f0d$0$1025$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer? > Specifically the paper is Epson S041706 Premium Glossy Photo Paper 255gsm. > I'd be interested in knowing the results. > Thanks > Rescho > > Rescho wrote: > ...or any Canon printer that uses BCI-6X series cartridges. > Rescho > "Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message > news:41fc8f0d$0$1025$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... >> Has anyone used Epson paper in a Canon s9000 printer? >> Specifically the paper is Epson S041706 Premium Glossy Photo Paper >> 255gsm. I'd be interested in knowing the results. >> Thanks >> Rescho Not me yet, but i did hear that Epson papers do quite nicely on Canon printers...i must try one day. But i did try HP everyday semigloss photo paper on my ip4000 and ....disaster! Ink doesn't dry at all on that one... "Rescho" <peterreschREMOVE@THISoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:41fc8f0d$0$1025$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au....

Canon vs. Epson inks
Canon uses (ip4000) dye (photo back) and pigment black. What black does Epson use? I am asking because I have some black ink for Epson Stylus Photo 1200 left and I was think if I could use it to refill the Canon pigment black (3eBK cart). > Canon uses (ip4000) dye (photo back) and pigment black. > What black does Epson use? > I am asking because I have some black ink for Epson Stylus Photo 1200 left > and I was think if I could use it to refill the Canon pigment black (3eBK cart). Perhaps not the best idea. Epsons are micro piezos and canons are thermal bubblejets. To be honest I don't know what the effect would be. But canons depend on the ink boiling right where the epsons basicly squeeze and drip. Sounds like you are asking for clogs, Epson uses gravity and vibratio to get the ink on the paper, Canon has to boil it tp produce a bubble the air expands and ..POP.. the inks splashes on the paper, there' just gotta be a difference in the ink in my view Just like oil I say, theres that many types and grade Dav The Epson 1200 normally used dye inks. The technologies used in the heads of these printers differ significantly and even if they were the same type (dye vs pigment) I would not suggest using the ink in this manner. Art DC wrote: > Canon uses (ip4000) dye (photo back) and pigment black. > What black does Epson use? > > I am asking because I have some black ink for Epson Stylus Photo ...

epson vs canon #2
Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid my self on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or ip8500. Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think is one of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did I see? Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500 is near close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of the best. Comments please rol This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080703000108080000080707 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit rol wrote: > Well , I spent the last 4 weks watching all pepson vs osts to decid my self > on which printer i would buy. I thougth I was sure on ip5000 or ip8500. > Yestarday I bougth the french magazine" reponse photo" which I think is one > of the best photo magazine ever made regarding hardware. And what did I see? > > Well they say that ip4000/5000 are not very good and only the ip8500 is near > close to the epson R800 or R300. they say too that hp 8450 is one of the > best. > > Comments please > > rol > > Get another magazine! --------------080703000108080000080707 Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=utf-8; name="jerry.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="je...

Are Canon Printers As Good As Epson?
I'm nearly ready to buy a new printer and am sick of the Epson ink bullshit- constant head clogging and cleaning of inks- but like their printer output. My girlfriend has a lower end Canon and loves it over the Epson she once had. I'm in the market for whatever high end printer Canon may have. My questions are- Is the output as good as Epson; Do they now have archival inks; Can the inks be refilled with one of the higher end ink systems like the Epsons; Is there a similar head clogging problem with Canon; I'm working on large scale panoramas- does Canon have facilities ...

Printer driver missing from Epson Web site for Epson 2200 printers
There's no appropriate printer driver on the Epson Web site for Epson Stylus Photo printers using OS 10.4x. There are printer drivers on the page for Intel-based Macs using OS 10.4x, but my computer is a Quicksilver desktop G4, which is not Intel-based. (http://epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14402&prodoid=20306147&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh) The two following drivers appear to be the closest, but neither one is the right one. I wrote to Epson about this oversight, but I haven't heard back from it yet. Does anyon...

Canon i560s VS. Epson 84?
Need new printer. Down to these two. Anybody have experience with both? Thanks in advance. Bill <misterwilliamc@yahoo.com> typed: > Need new printer. > Down to these two. > Anybody have experience with both? > > Thanks in advance. > > Bill I love my i550 (pre-i560 - almost the same). Great printout, cheap carts, very easy to refill. Very fast. Absolute winner of all reviews in his class. I would say for Epson - what's at least, probably has chipped carts, which makes you harder to refill. Also i've heard that when it stops printing (aka empty cart), it's some 1/3 to 1/4 th of ink still in there - you just can't use it ... Not true after the ink low warning appeared I maneged over 80 pages of text before I had to change "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:e8URb.2788$%x4.351028@news.siol.net... > <misterwilliamc@yahoo.com> typed: > > > Need new printer. > > Down to these two. > > Anybody have experience with both? > > > > Thanks in advance. > > > > Bill > > I love my i550 (pre-i560 - almost the same). Great printout, cheap carts, > very easy to refill. Very fast. Absolute winner of all reviews in his class. > I would say for Epson - what's at least, probably has chipped carts, which > makes you harder to refill. Also i've heard that when it stops printing (aka > ...

epson r200 vs canon ip3000
Hi, I want to use the printers for just general printing, i currently use epson printers but they have become damaged and i have been 3 epson printers in 5 years. Can anyone tell me which one is better the canon ip3000 or epson r200 Thanks shah The IP3000 prints business documents substantially better than the Epson R300. It is a full duplex printer with dual paper feed. If you want to print photos it can also do that however you might want to get the IP4000 for better photo quality. shah wrote: >Hi, >I want to use the printers for just general printing, i currently use >epson printers but they have become damaged and i have been 3 epson >printers in 5 years. Can anyone tell me which one is better the canon >ip3000 or epson r200 >Thanks >shah > > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:37:03 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote: >The IP3000 prints business documents substantially better than the Epson >R300. It is a full duplex printer with dual paper feed. If you want to >print photos it can also do that however you might want to get the >IP4000 for better photo quality. > >shah wrote: > >>Hi, >>I want to use the printers for just general printing, i currently use >>epson printers but they have become damaged and i have been 3 epson >>printers in 5 years. Can anyone tell me which one is better the canon >>ip3000 or epson r200 >>Thanks >>...

Epson 2200 vs Canon i9900 or ???
I need a large format photo quality printer. I'm considering an Epson 2200. I'm concerned about print nozzle clogging, does this model have a problem with that? What if you haven't used it in a few weeks? Does it burn a lot of ink in a cleaning cycle? I'm also looking at the Canon i9900. Downside: It doesn't make prints larger than 13x19, and it isn't rated to use as many different papers as the Epson (especially art papers, which is something I do want to print on). Upside, it prints *much* faster. The Epson is a pigment ink, the Canon uses a dye ink. Can anyone point me to a good page comparing the pros and cons of these two ink systems? I'm also looking for info on aftermarket inks for these 2 printers, and the longevity of those inks. Thanks! jc You can google most of that info yourself. If you are concerned about color management Epson printers and drivers are light years ahead of Canon. In article <9rnqv01v67je7fk5ss96pqvl1ts8g2fhd9@4ax.com>, jcdill04@sonic.net (JC Dill) wrote: > I need a large format photo quality printer. I'm considering an Epson > 2200. I'm concerned about print nozzle clogging, does this model have > a problem with that? What if you haven't used it in a few weeks? You'll probably get a mixed response here: some people will relate tales of clogging woe; others, myself included, never seem to have a problem. I think it's down to a...

Epson or Canon Photo Printers (not AIO)
Hi all, I saw a Canon vs Epson thread but I am looking more at photo printers and best photo quality. Its time to replace my aging Epson R210. Many years back, I owned an HP deskjet 400 but decided their quality was at most third amongst the Top 3 (Epson, Canon, HP). Canon almost died with crap quality when Epson released their 1440 dpi printers (canon had standard 360dpi and premium model 600dpi) many years ago but have since bounced back very strong in recent years. The Epson R230 would have been a very good replacement but I also wanted something of a later generation too...

Canon 9950F vs. Epson 4870
Both can be had for about $340. I'm interested in scanning 4x5", 6x7, and some 35mm (max print size or 8x10" for 35mm). Is one better than the other? Seems like the Epson 4990 is gonna be a month or two and it will cost a hundred bucks more. Thanks, PGG PGG wrote: > Both can be had for about $340. > > I'm interested in scanning 4x5", 6x7, and some 35mm (max print size or > 8x10" for 35mm). > > Is one better than the other? Did you check out the review on photo.i-co.uk? www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Scanners/...

Color differences
Any opinions about the differences in color between moderately priced Canon vs. Epson scanners? A magazine review I read recently (Computer Shopper), called the Canon 4200F slightly blue/cold, and the Epson 2580 slightly warm. I don't know about the Canon personally, but my Epson 2480 is easy enough to tweak out minor colour errors from within the driver so it looks the same on screen as the original, though I suppose it depends on how fussy you are. It's pretty close without any adjustments anyway. ...

Web resources about - Epson vs Canon - comp.periphs.printers

Epson - Exceed Your Vision
Epson·website providing·links to Epson imaging product information, Epson color ink jet printers, Epson multimedia LCD projectors, Epson·POS ...

Epson Reset - FREE WIC Reset Utility. Reset Epson and save Your time! Not need keygen or serials
Download FREE Waste Ink Counter Reset Utility - WIC Reset Utility and reset waste ink counters in Epson printers. Buy Reset keys. MAC and Windows ...

Seiko Epson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
the company has numerous subsidiaries worldwide and manufactures inkjet , dot matrix and laser printers , scanners , desktop computers , business, ...

Epson Corporate - Home -
to Contentsaria to leftMenu to header to globalnavigation to footer Home Site Map Global EPSON CORPORATE Products and Drivers About Epson Investor ...

Epson America (@EpsonAmerica) on Twitter

App Store - Epson iPrint
Get Epson iPrint on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Epson Moverio BT-200 Animated Promotional Video - YouTube
Introducing the Epson Moverio BT-200. This short animated video gives a quick overview of the key features of the latest Moverio smart glasses. ...

Hands on: Epson Moverio smart glasses
Smart glasses are beginning to pop up everywhere. Here we take a look at Epson’s Moverio due to hit Australia by Christmas.

Epson's precision goal to capitalise on intellectual property
President Minoru Usui takes a page out of Steve Jobs' book in looking to focus on proprietary technology.

Epson to recall defective printers in China
Epson to recall defective printers in China People's Daily Online China's top quality watchdog said Tuesday that global printer maker Epson ...