f



Extra cost of printing b/w on a color printer?

Our black-and-white laser printer (Samsung ML-1430) is on its last legs
and needs replacement. We also need a copier, now that we've moved and
can't use my father-in-law's anymore. We will probably make over 500
copies per month. We won't need fax.

My wife wants to get a color laser printer, now that they don't seem to
cost as much as they used to. My question is, since most of the time we
will be copying and printing in black and white, will there be an
additional per-page cost to do so on a color printer, apart from the
higher cost of the printer itself?

For example, the black and white HP LaserJet 3030 takes a Q2612A black
print cartridge that supposedly yields 2,000 pages "in accordance with
ISO/EIC 19752". The HP Color LaserJet 2820 takes a Q3960A black print
cartridge that costs about 20% more, but yields 5,000 pages "based on 5%
coverage".

Can these yields really be compared? If so, it would suggest that a
color printer is really cheaper per-page when printing black-and-white
pages than a black-and-white printer. Perhaps it's not fair to compare
these two printers, but then can somebody suggest a fairer comparison?

I've been trying to research the total cost of ownership for various
printers and running up against these inconsistencies in specifications,
even with different printers from the same manufacturer. Is some kind
soul willing to share knowledge gained from hard experience?

Thanks,
Lee
0
Lee
5/31/2006 10:32:00 PM
comp.periphs.printers 18139 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

7 Replies
484 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

"Lee Choquette" <leec@xmission.com> wrote in message 
news:e5l5h0$eeq$1@news.xmission.com...

> My wife wants to get a color laser printer, now that they don't seem 
> to
> cost as much as they used to. My question is, since most of the time 
> we
> will be copying and printing in black and white, will there be an
> additional per-page cost to do so on a color printer, apart from the
> higher cost of the printer itself?
>
> For example, the black and white HP LaserJet 3030 takes a Q2612A black
> print cartridge that supposedly yields 2,000 pages "in accordance with
> ISO/EIC 19752". The HP Color LaserJet 2820 takes a Q3960A black print
> cartridge that costs about 20% more, but yields 5,000 pages "based on 
> 5%
> coverage".
>
> Can these yields really be compared? If so, it would suggest that a
> color printer is really cheaper per-page when printing black-and-white
> pages than a black-and-white printer. Perhaps it's not fair to compare
> these two printers, but then can somebody suggest a fairer comparison?

Sorry I do not know much about the intricies of the LaserJet side of 
printing.  You can see the samples used at 
http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/us/en/index.html.  You might get 
some user feedback on these models by asking your question in the HP 
forum at: 
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/categoryhome.do?categoryId=420

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob
6/1/2006 12:25:23 AM
I have an older network color laser printer and several very nice black 
and white laser printers. I think the Color is an HP4650 or some such 
number.
I also have an HP4MV, HP4000 and HP5000 laser printer (and some QMS 
stuff).  The HP4000 gets about 5 times as much printed on it as the 
color does and has a toner cartridge about the same size. I replace 2 
black cartridges in the 4650 for every 1 in the 4000 even though the 
4000 prints 5x as much. This may be because the 4650 tends to print 
pages with more coverage on it than the mostly text only 4000 (graphics 
tend to go to the 5000).

Your millage may very.  You are using consumer printers, I am using more 
pro-network with duplexer printers. and your info sounds like it 
contradicts my experience so who knows so that probably does not help you.

Hawker


On 5/31/2006 6:32 PM, The digits of Lee Choquette's hands composed the 
following:
> Our black-and-white laser printer (Samsung ML-1430) is on its last legs
> and needs replacement. We also need a copier, now that we've moved and
> can't use my father-in-law's anymore. We will probably make over 500
> copies per month. We won't need fax.
> 
> My wife wants to get a color laser printer, now that they don't seem to
> cost as much as they used to. My question is, since most of the time we
> will be copying and printing in black and white, will there be an
> additional per-page cost to do so on a color printer, apart from the
> higher cost of the printer itself?
> 
> For example, the black and white HP LaserJet 3030 takes a Q2612A black
> print cartridge that supposedly yields 2,000 pages "in accordance with
> ISO/EIC 19752". The HP Color LaserJet 2820 takes a Q3960A black print
> cartridge that costs about 20% more, but yields 5,000 pages "based on 5%
> coverage".
> 
> Can these yields really be compared? If so, it would suggest that a
> color printer is really cheaper per-page when printing black-and-white
> pages than a black-and-white printer. Perhaps it's not fair to compare
> these two printers, but then can somebody suggest a fairer comparison?
> 
> I've been trying to research the total cost of ownership for various
> printers and running up against these inconsistencies in specifications,
> even with different printers from the same manufacturer. Is some kind
> soul willing to share knowledge gained from hard experience?
> 
> Thanks,
> Lee
0
Hawker
6/1/2006 1:22:49 AM
I just googled, that must be a HP4550 we have, not 4650.  Sorry.

Hawker

On 5/31/2006 9:22 PM, The digits of Hawker's hands composed the following:

> I have an older network color laser printer and several very nice black 
> and white laser printers. I think the Color is an HP4650 or some such 
> number.
> I also have an HP4MV, HP4000 and HP5000 laser printer (and some QMS 
> stuff).  The HP4000 gets about 5 times as much printed on it as the 
> color does and has a toner cartridge about the same size. I replace 2 
> black cartridges in the 4650 for every 1 in the 4000 even though the 
> 4000 prints 5x as much. This may be because the 4650 tends to print 
> pages with more coverage on it than the mostly text only 4000 (graphics 
> tend to go to the 5000).
> 
> Your millage may very.  You are using consumer printers, I am using more 
> pro-network with duplexer printers. and your info sounds like it 
> contradicts my experience so who knows so that probably does not help you.
> 
> Hawker
> 
> 
> On 5/31/2006 6:32 PM, The digits of Lee Choquette's hands composed the 
> following:
> 
>> Our black-and-white laser printer (Samsung ML-1430) is on its last legs
>> and needs replacement. We also need a copier, now that we've moved and
>> can't use my father-in-law's anymore. We will probably make over 500
>> copies per month. We won't need fax.
>>
>> My wife wants to get a color laser printer, now that they don't seem to
>> cost as much as they used to. My question is, since most of the time we
>> will be copying and printing in black and white, will there be an
>> additional per-page cost to do so on a color printer, apart from the
>> higher cost of the printer itself?
>>
>> For example, the black and white HP LaserJet 3030 takes a Q2612A black
>> print cartridge that supposedly yields 2,000 pages "in accordance with
>> ISO/EIC 19752". The HP Color LaserJet 2820 takes a Q3960A black print
>> cartridge that costs about 20% more, but yields 5,000 pages "based on 5%
>> coverage".
>>
>> Can these yields really be compared? If so, it would suggest that a
>> color printer is really cheaper per-page when printing black-and-white
>> pages than a black-and-white printer. Perhaps it's not fair to compare
>> these two printers, but then can somebody suggest a fairer comparison?
>>
>> I've been trying to research the total cost of ownership for various
>> printers and running up against these inconsistencies in specifications,
>> even with different printers from the same manufacturer. Is some kind
>> soul willing to share knowledge gained from hard experience?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lee
0
Hawker
6/1/2006 1:24:16 AM
In message <e5l5h0$eeq$1@news.xmission.com>, Lee Choquette 
<leec@xmission.com> writes
>Our black-and-white laser printer (Samsung ML-1430) is on its last legs
>and needs replacement. We also need a copier, now that we've moved and
>can't use my father-in-law's anymore. We will probably make over 500
>copies per month. We won't need fax.
>
>My wife wants to get a color laser printer, now that they don't seem to
>cost as much as they used to. My question is, since most of the time we
>will be copying and printing in black and white, will there be an
>additional per-page cost to do so on a color printer, apart from the
>higher cost of the printer itself?
>
>For example, the black and white HP LaserJet 3030 takes a Q2612A black
>print cartridge that supposedly yields 2,000 pages "in accordance with
>ISO/EIC 19752". The HP Color LaserJet 2820 takes a Q3960A black print
>cartridge that costs about 20% more, but yields 5,000 pages "based on 5%
>coverage".
>
>Can these yields really be compared? If so, it would suggest that a
>color printer is really cheaper per-page when printing black-and-white
>pages than a black-and-white printer. Perhaps it's not fair to compare
>these two printers, but then can somebody suggest a fairer comparison?
>
>I've been trying to research the total cost of ownership for various
>printers and running up against these inconsistencies in specifications,
>even with different printers from the same manufacturer. Is some kind
>soul willing to share knowledge gained from hard experience?

Generally, the more expensive the machine the cheaper the running costs. 
Over the last couple of weeks I have been researching a new business 
machine, together with a supplies and service contract, these are colour 
copier/printers starting at around $5,000 and various different 
suppliers were able to quote a supplies and service cost on black copies 
of less than 1p so just over or about 0.5cents.

Either pcpro.co.uk or pcplus.co.uk currently has a colour lexmark laser 
as its recommended machine, and quotes a black running cost of 1.1p per 
page.

Having said that a dedicated black only machine should have a lower 
black only running cost, at the same price level. So I would expect a 
$1,000 mono laser to be cheaper per page than a $1,000 colour laser.


-- 
Timothy
0
me
6/1/2006 7:48:41 AM
On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:48:41 +0100, "me@privacy.net" <me@Privacy.Net>
wrote:

>Generally, the more expensive the machine the cheaper the running costs. 
>Over the last couple of weeks I have been researching a new business 
>machine, together with a supplies and service contract, these are colour 
>copier/printers starting at around $5,000 and various different 
>suppliers were able to quote a supplies and service cost on black copies 
>of less than 1p so just over or about 0.5cents.
>
>Either pcpro.co.uk or pcplus.co.uk currently has a colour lexmark laser 
>as its recommended machine, and quotes a black running cost of 1.1p per 
>page.
>
>Having said that a dedicated black only machine should have a lower 
>black only running cost, at the same price level. So I would expect a 
>$1,000 mono laser to be cheaper per page than a $1,000 colour laser.
>
>
>-- 
>Timothy

Yes, I think that while there are more consumer level (<$500) laser
printers available now, you're not going to actually see much savings
per print unless you buy something in the $1000 range or higher. I
posted a price comparison awhile back that looked like the 2600n costs
more to run in consumables than some inkjets cost.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.
0
info
6/1/2006 4:00:53 PM
> For example, the black and white HP LaserJet 3030 takes a Q2612A black
> print cartridge that supposedly yields 2,000 pages "in accordance with
> ISO/EIC 19752". The HP Color LaserJet 2820 takes a Q3960A black print
> cartridge that costs about 20% more, but yields 5,000 pages "based on 5%
> coverage".
>
> Can these yields really be compared? If so, it would suggest that a
> color printer is really cheaper per-page when printing black-and-white
> pages than a black-and-white printer. Perhaps it's not fair to compare
> these two printers, but then can somebody suggest a fairer comparison?


You can rely enough on given page yield. But on the other hand, color lasers 
have more consumables (may separate drums -is included on the 3030-, may 
transfer belt, may both). Definately the print cost of color printers is a 
bit higher.


-- 
Yianni
in@mailbox9.gr   (remove number nine to reply)

0
Yianni
6/2/2006 3:32:25 AM
Hi!

> Can these yields really be compared? If so, it would suggest that a
> color printer is really cheaper per-page when printing black-and-white
> pages than a black-and-white printer. Perhaps it's not fair to compare
> these two printers, but then can somebody suggest a fairer comparison?

Not really. I have a Color LaserJet 2500n that--if I remember
correctly--offers about the same yield from a black toner cartridge as the
printer you're looking at. However, there is a separate imaging drum in
these units. At some point it too must be replaced, and it is quite
expensive for an HP printer.

Also, if you switch between color and black printing, you might find that
the printer has to clean itself out before switching from one to the other.
The Samsung CLP-5xx series color laser printers do this. I don't know if the
HP units do or not. They don't have a waste toner tank that I can see, but
maybe wasted toner is stored somewhere in the imaging drum.

> Is some kind
> soul willing to share knowledge gained from hard experience?

I don't think it is easy to go wrong buying an HP printer, unless it is a
very cheap model.

However, when it came time to buy my own color laser printer, I opted for a
Samsung CLP-550n. The "polish" of the included software is not quite as nice
as that of HP, but it works well once you understand how to use it. (It's
not hard, but you can add maybe 10 minutes if you network the printer.
Samsung doesn't document that process well.)

The output quality of the Samsung is much nicer than that of the HP 2500n.
The HP 2500n seems to make "waxy" prints and I don't really like that. The
Samsung does not make waxy prints, and operates much more quietly.

You can read my review of the CLP-550n (though I've never quite finished it)
here:
http://greyghost.dyndns.org/clp550n/

William


0
William
6/2/2006 11:27:58 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Good color/composite doc Printing AND Cost-Effective B&W Printing in ONE Printer?
Hi Folks! Is there a printer which prints GOOD QUALITY color images and composite docs AND also offers cost-effective, speedy B&W printing? I ask as I need to be able to print brochures and photos in color with GOOD quality but still need to be able to print B&W docs at economical cost and speedily. Normally, I specify a good (inkjet, usually a Canon) color printer for the color print/composite doc work and a cheap laser (ilke the Samsung 1710 or Brother HL-1440) for fast, cheap B&W printing jobs. I am wondering if these days there is now an (most likely still in...

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ...

Fooling a Brother color printer to print in B/W?
Most (all?) Brother color printers refuse to work when it reads any color ink cartridge as empty -- even if you only want to print in b/w or grayscale. Is there any way to put in a dummy cartridge that will fool the printer into thinking that the ink is not empty, so that I can continue to print with the black ink? I have a MFC7400C, using LC04 ink. I print very rarely, and almost never in color (my wife just bought a photo-quality printer which we can use for color). But the color cartridges become unusable (dried out?) in only a few months. Ideally, I'd like to fool the s...

Printing in B&W on a color laser printer
I recently purchased a Brother MFC-9420CN, running on Win XP. I'd like to be be able to print certain web pages that use colored text in black-and-white. But when I try changing the print settings, the closest I get is grayscale text. Is there any way to print those colors as pure -black-and-white? If not, does anyone know of a utility that would convert the page to b&w before sending it to the printer? thanks! "cityboy" <cityboy3@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:18950c78-61bd-4357-90f8-ce7a80a1fc75@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I recently purchased...

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer #2
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ...

My Canon printer is always out of colored ink and I only print B&W
I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color cartridges to be replaced. I am thinking of changing all of them to black. (last resort as I do use color rarely) The black seems to last longer than the color, but I have bought so many color ones that I really can't keep up. On Nov 18, 7:18 pm, metspitzer <kilow...@charter.net> wrote: > I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color > cartridges to be replaced. I am thinking of changing all of them to > black. (last resort as I do use color rarely) > > The black ...

Epson Stylus Color 900 - took out a full color cartridge to test in another printer
I downloaded and installed sscserve.exe from http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml but I can't get that program to work or I still can't get the printer to print - not sure which (but there is NO ink printing from the printer now). Anyone use that app on this printer successfully? OR is there another app that will work? OR a hardware fix? Thanks! Brad ...

Color pictures from b/w printer
Hi, I have an idea of preparing color printouts on a black-and-white printer. The idea is similar to the one used in LCD screens. A special filter with RGB stripes is placed on a b/w printout, which has RGB components printed (in b/w) exactly under appropriate filter. The printout (without any filters) would look like a normal b/w picture with reduced resolution, but with the filter - like a color printout. There may be some problem with the size of stripes, brightness of the picture, interference between the raster and stripes etc. Did anyone hear of such a method? I could...

Color pictures from b/w printer #2
Hi, I have an idea of preparing color printouts on a black-and-white printer. The idea is similar to the one used in LCD screens. A special filter with RGB stripes is placed on a b/w printout, which has RGB components printed (in b/w) exactly under appropriate filter. The printout (without any filters) would look like a normal b/w picture with reduced resolution, but with the filter - like a color printout. There may be some problem with the size of stripes, brightness of the picture, interference between the raster and stripes etc. Did anyone hear of such a method? I couldn...

alternate grayscale mappings for colors on b/w printer
We don't like the gray values chosen for certain colors from graphs when printed on a black and white printer (e.g. HP LaserJet). Any ideas how we might be able to create our own mappings from certain RGB values to certain grayscale values? Can we do this with ICC Profiles? If so, what tool(s) would be good to use? Is there anything we can do with printer drivers? Or would a solution using Adobe Acrobat/Distiller as an intermediate step be best? Thanks in advance, Scott if the end result is b&w, then use b&w on the charts or pick a color that gives the result you want. if...

color laser printer: Per page printing costs
I am looking to buy a color laser printer with small per page printing costs. I print mostly B&W (1000 pages/month) and color(100 pages/month). I would like to get the data of per page printing costs for printers from Dell (3100cn?) , HP, Lexmark, Okidata, Xerox, Brother, ... Does anyone know of a site that has done these kinds of tests on color laser printers? Or does anyone here have that data on recent printers? Thanks a lot for your help, --j Simple, find out how much toner supplies cost and divide that number into the number of prints they will make. Consider bu...

Color laser printer prints colors much darker than screen colors
I want to be able to print the standard basic colors** exactly the same way that they appear on the screen. A specific instance of this is that cyan*** is printed as a much darker shade of blue than appears on the screen. I have found this exact same problem exists across several laser printer brands and models, and is likely an issue with all laser printers. How can I correct this problem? ** (Defined by combinations of RGB values at their maximum value of 255 and half of their maximum value of 128) . *** cyan--->Red(0), Green(255), Blue(255) Peter Olcott wrote:...

Low running cost B&W laser printer
We work very closely with a charity and they've asked us to recommend a good quality B&W laser which has low running costs which I take to mean uses toner frugally and replacement toner doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Any recommendations as we always buy HP so don't know much about anything else :-) Thanks, Rob. In message <lL2dne2KbbglE3zZRVnysA@bt.com>, Rob Nicholson <rob.nicholson@nospam_informed-direct.com> writes >We work very closely with a charity and they've asked us to recommend a good >quality B&W laser which has low run...

is samsung b&w laser printer good for printing envelopes?
I have need for a laser printer that will print 200-250 envelopes at a time. Has anyone reading this used any of the Samsung laser printers? They appear to be price competitive, but I desire to know how efficient they are for envelope printing? best, Aaron I have a Samsung ML1510 (Don't laugh) it's only an 'El Cheapo', actually I was looking for a replacement for the dreaded Epson C62 and came across this at Dabbs Computers, Bolton, UK for about �48 - and it proved to be a real work horse, I got this initially to make printed circuit boards by using '...

Web resources about - Extra cost of printing b/w on a color printer? - comp.periphs.printers

Printing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the process of reproducing text and images. For the handwriting method often called printing, see block letters . For other ...

The hottest trend in 3D printing: shoes on demand
Customised shoe insoles and orthotics are among the newest products to be created using 3D printing machines, and companies such as Nike and ...

Firefox 44 adds H.264 video support on desktop, supports cloud printing on Android
... its heels. Like the previous release, the most visible changes are reserved for the mobile build. Android users gain support for cloud printing ...

This 3D printing pen is just what you need to bring your art to life
3D printing is all the rage these days because it's pretty awesome to make your concepts into a physical reality, and having a 3D printing pen ...

Stratasys Partners with Adobe to Broaden Adoption of 3D Printing with New Color Experience and Simplified ...
Stratasys Ltd. (Nasdaq:SSYS), the 3D printing and additive manufacturing solutions company, today announced that it has taken color 3D printing ...

Worldwide spending on 3D printing forecast to grow at a CAGR of 27% to more than US$26 billion in 2019 ...
According to IDC, global spending on 3D printing will grow at a 27% CAGR from nearly US$11 billion in 2015 to US$26.7 billion in 2019.

3Doodler is back with a cute, safe 3D printing pen for kids
Even from their earliest moments of Kickstarter success, one thing was clear to the team at 3D printing pen startup 3Doodler: they'd have to ...

3D Printing Used To Create 4D Flowers That Change Shape Over Time
With Valentine’s Day just two weeks away, science really is upping the stakes in exactly which flowers to buy your loved one on this Hallmark ...

Airbus Ventures dips into $150 million fund to back 3-D printing at Local Motors
Airbus Ventures, the European aerospace giant’s Silicon Valley spin-off, says the first investment from its $150 million venture fund is going ...

New Research Sheds Light on 3D Printing Fumes
... a lot of people in the community, the science wasn’t entirely conclusive — one paper made it sound like you needed a hazmat suit for 3D printing, ...

Resources last updated: 2/11/2016 6:25:45 PM