Fed up with my HP 5650 Inkjet printer

I bought this HP 5650 Inkjet printer two years ago after having owned
several Epsons. I wasn't all that thrilled with the Epsons, as they
seemed to run out of ink very fast and die shortly after the warranty
ran out.

The HP5650 was better in some ways and worse in others. The cartridges
were more expensive but lasted longer. (I do mostly B&W printing). A few
months ago, I installed Mac OS System X, 10.4.6 (Tiger) and also
installed the proper drivers for it. The printer now crawled , and many
of the earlier features, such as ink level remaining, disappeared. I
emailed HP and someone sent me back 4, yes FOUR pages of single spaced
instructions for having the printer show the earlier features, such as
the Tool Box, ink level, acceptable speed, and I could not begin to
follow the instructions. Their printer drivers have not been updated in
a couple of years and it is a disgrace. Now has come the last straw: The
printer no longer accepts cartridges 56 for black (it only wants 58) and
those are hard, if not impossible to find.

MY QUESTION: I don't do anything that fancy, no digital photo printing,
just plain old Black and White and an occasional color. AND I don't want
to deal with a Hewlett-Packard any longer. What is out there for me and
for my iMac G4  with OS 10.4.6?

1.  A Lexmark, and if so what kind?
2.  A Cannon?  "  "  "
3.  An Epson, my third choice

Would I prefer a Laser Printer for my type of work?
Would I want an "All In One"? I don't fax, but could use the copy
feature?

I will post this message on the Macintosh newsgroup also.

Thank you for any and all help.

Jack
0
Jack

"Jack Ricci" <jritch53@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I bought this HP 5650 Inkjet printer two years ago after having owned
> several Epsons.
[snip]
> Their printer drivers have not been updated in
> a couple of years and it is a disgrace. Now has come the last straw:
> The
> printer no longer accepts cartridges 56 for black (it only wants 58)
> and
> those are hard, if not impossible to find.

As of yesterday HP has updated Mac drivers at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&os=219&product=304445&lang=en&softwareitem=mp-40792-1

The #58 cartridge is for photo printing. The #56 is used for text.  If a
#56 cartridge is rejected the cartridge is probably defective.  If it is
an original HP cartridge check the cartridge warranty as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bua02014.
If the cartridge is still under warranty contact HP or your dealer for a
replacement.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob
6/11/2006 2:47:11 AM
Personally, I cannot suggest Lexmark all in one or inkjet printers.  The
build quality isn't there, the drivers tend to be poor and the cost of
operation is quite high.

Canon is a good general alternative for the type of printing you are
doing.  If permanence isn't a big issue, you probably don't need a color
laser printer.  Black and white lasers are quite cheap these days and
with refill toner can be maintained inexpensively as well. The newer
ones are quite small as well, and not hard on energy or your office
noisescape.

If you will only be using color occasionally, you may find the inkjet
printers costly to run, because they clear the color heads each time
they are used, and this can use up a fair amount of ink when you are not
using the color feature.

Although this may sound weird, you may wish to consider buying an
inexpensive B&W laser printer for most of your applications, and also an
inexpensive inkjet to use for color.  Since Canon tends to remain
relatively clog-free even if not used for longer periods, I would still
recommend Canon for this periodic use.  I would avoid using the inkjet
when you have black only work.  It will prove much more costly to run
per copy.

Art

Jack Ricci wrote:

> I bought this HP 5650 Inkjet printer two years ago after having owned
> several Epsons. I wasn't all that thrilled with the Epsons, as they
> seemed to run out of ink very fast and die shortly after the warranty
> ran out.
>
> The HP5650 was better in some ways and worse in others. The cartridges
> were more expensive but lasted longer. (I do mostly B&W printing). A few
> months ago, I installed Mac OS System X, 10.4.6 (Tiger) and also
> installed the proper drivers for it. The printer now crawled , and many
> of the earlier features, such as ink level remaining, disappeared. I
> emailed HP and someone sent me back 4, yes FOUR pages of single spaced
> instructions for having the printer show the earlier features, such as
> the Tool Box, ink level, acceptable speed, and I could not begin to
> follow the instructions. Their printer drivers have not been updated in
> a couple of years and it is a disgrace. Now has come the last straw: The
> printer no longer accepts cartridges 56 for black (it only wants 58) and
> those are hard, if not impossible to find.
>
> MY QUESTION: I don't do anything that fancy, no digital photo printing,
> just plain old Black and White and an occasional color. AND I don't want
> to deal with a Hewlett-Packard any longer. What is out there for me and
> for my iMac G4  with OS 10.4.6?
>
> 1.  A Lexmark, and if so what kind?
> 2.  A Cannon?  "  "  "
> 3.  An Epson, my third choice
>
> Would I prefer a Laser Printer for my type of work?
> Would I want an "All In One"? I don't fax, but could use the copy
> feature?
>
> I will post this message on the Macintosh newsgroup also.
>
> Thank you for any and all help.
>
> Jack
0
Arthur

Input on HP 5150, HP 5550, or HP 5650 inkjet printers
Hi everyone, I'm trying to decide between buying the Hewlett Packard 5150, 5550 or 5650 inkjet printer. I'm going to be using the printer mainly for text, but will also be printing documents containing text and graphics/photos, so the quality of print is important to me Does anyone have any feedback on experiences they've had with any of these printers? Thanks, Joanne My results with the 5550 & HP papers are excellent. ===================================== "Joanne" <jnonkoh@DONTSPAMrogers.com> wrote in message news:N_0ib.284895$Lnr1.182933...

Printer addendum for HP printer

Convert Inkjet Printer to Envelope Printer
Hi, We have a mid volume printing, assemblying operation and print a lot of #9 and #10 envelopes with different addresses, layouts, etc... We've tried different technologies and standard inkjet printers (with a continuous ink system) seem to work the best (espcially for the cost). However, I can't find a standard inkjet that we can load up with more than 10 envelopes. I'd like to stay away from true "envelope printers" because they can be expensive (we need several) and aren't as versatile at that they'll print. Anyone have experience converting an ...

HP printer vs. Canon printer

laser printer or inkjet printer? which is better?
First of all, excuse my poor english but i'm italian and i don't speak english very well..... then, I have to buy my next printer, I already own a brother mfc3420c, that is a multifunction, so i don't need to print color pages, and i need only a printer to print text in the less expansive way. I thought that the less expensive printers are the laser ones. and i looked at the brother hl1430, that costs 149 euro. The toner is 48 euro, and the drum is 83 euro. Whith the toner you can print about 6000 pages, and whith the drum you can print 20.000 pages. so, eve...

HP 960 C Deskjet printer
A puzzling issue - I have paviliion running win xp sp2 (about 4 years old) and have a minor glitch when I print a document from powerpoint 2003. I was able to find a newer driver (from late 2001) and tried to install it. But the printer driver assistant "wants to close" and send error message to microsoft. I have tried several times to do this update but it fails. I tried uninstalling the software from add/remove programs but nothing happens when I try to do that. HP support had me modify the registry and remove a subfolder relating to this printer, but that also did not hel...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

Colour laser printers compared to inkjet printers?
I'd be interested in knowing if colour laser printers are dropping rapidly in price. Are they cheaper t run compared to ink jet printers? Are there any disadvantages compared to inkjet printers? Are colour laser printers very good at printing photos? I have been using a black and white laser printer for a few years and it seems cheap to run compared to using my ink jet printer for printing text, but this could be different for a colour laser rinter if the coloured toner is expensive. Regards Brian Brian Firstly colour lasers are droppping in price and in generally have ext...

Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server.
I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and Windows 2000. Both drivers refuse to run. If anyone have successfully make the connection, please help!!! Ching-yeh Tzseng tzseng wrote: > I had tried and failed to connect a Windows server 2003 client to a HP > OfficeJet g85x printer through a networked HP Jetdirect 170x printer > server. I had tried HP Officejet g85x driver for Windows XP and > Windows 2000. Both driver...

Printer Ink

New printer time eek. .need duplex,economy,laser or inkjet (HP inkjet)
My HP 950C was doing great, then it started to play up. An upgrade or two later including Vista means my trusty 950c with duplex unit has bit the dust. Sooooo, I'm looking for a current model (I need vista drivers for it) printer. A mono laser would do or a deskjet, I'd very much like Duplex and cheapish to buy and cheap to run. I'm on Dialup in Australia so web research on this is killing me. Any ideas? "Anon" <spareemail.news@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:1180455356.825976.138880@a26g2000pre.googlegroups.com... > My HP 950C was d...

HP G85 Inkjet printer
Its been a year or so since I checked this news group. I don't see much posted on HP printers. I think I know why. I have a HP G85 all in one and just went over 28,000 copies and never had a problem with it. Pete I am assuming the reason that you do not see too much on HP printer is because there is really not too many problems with their printheads since you get a new one with each cart change. Since they are much harder to refill most people do not bother so there are far fewer problems cause by much of the inferior aftermarket inks. Most of the refillers tend to grav...

hp inkjet printer recommendations
Looking for a new hp inkjet printer to replace my hp940c. Would like one that does a full A4 size print also large cartridges similar to my 940c (25ml black) seems like the new ones have very small cartridges. Any recommendations please? thanks In article <m3uYb.1580$AQ4.452591@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net>, nospam@virgin.net says... > Looking for a new hp inkjet printer to replace my hp940c. Would like one > that does a full A4 size print also large cartridges similar to my 940c > (25ml black) seems like the new ones have very small cartridges. > Any recommen...

Web resources about - Fed up with my HP 5650 Inkjet printer - comp.periphs.printers

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

The 3D printer carving out a new curriculum
With Australia's technical expertise slowly whittling away, the team behind this gadget wants to take schools back to the basics of manufacturing ...

ASIC investigating company after inventor of world's largest 3D printer left out of pocket
... Australian Securities and Investments Commission investigates the administration of a company that tried to sell the world's largest 3D printer. ...

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Brother Laser Printer $45, 9′ MFi Lightning Cable $6, iPhone 6/s Plus Leather Folio ...
... Twitter , RSS Feed , Facebook , Google+ and Safari push notifications . TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS: Daily Deals: Brother Monochrome Laser Printer ...

Doro PDF printer adds color conversion, page rotation controls
Lightweight virtual PDF printer Doro has been updated with new color conversion and page rotation settings. If the default "UseDeviceIndependentColor" ...