Fooling a Brother color printer to print in B/W?

Most (all?) Brother color printers refuse to work when it reads any
color ink cartridge as empty -- even if you only want to print in b/w
or grayscale.

Is there any way to put in a dummy cartridge that will fool the printer
into thinking that the ink is not empty, so that I can continue to
print with the black ink?

I have a MFC7400C, using LC04 ink.  I print very rarely, and almost
never in color (my wife just bought a photo-quality printer which we
can use for color).  But the color cartridges become unusable (dried
out?) in only a few months.  Ideally, I'd like to fool the sensor in
the printer, or manipulate my existing cartridges so that the "INK
EMPTY" displays disappear.  Is that possible?

(FWIW, I don't believe the ink cartridges are empty at all -- if there
is a way to inject something so that the ink becomes usable again, that
would be even better.)

Thanks in advance.

0
Andrew

Good color/composite doc Printing AND Cost-Effective B&W Printing in ONE Printer?
Hi Folks! Is there a printer which prints GOOD QUALITY color images and composite docs AND also offers cost-effective, speedy B&W printing? I ask as I need to be able to print brochures and photos in color with GOOD quality but still need to be able to print B&W docs at economical cost and speedily. Normally, I specify a good (inkjet, usually a Canon) color printer for the color print/composite doc work and a cheap laser (ilke the Samsung 1710 or Brother HL-1440) for fast, cheap B&W printing jobs. I am wondering if these days there is now an (most likely still in...

Extra cost of printing b/w on a color printer?
Our black-and-white laser printer (Samsung ML-1430) is on its last legs and needs replacement. We also need a copier, now that we've moved and can't use my father-in-law's anymore. We will probably make over 500 copies per month. We won't need fax. My wife wants to get a color laser printer, now that they don't seem to cost as much as they used to. My question is, since most of the time we will be copying and printing in black and white, will there be an additional per-page cost to do so on a color printer, apart from the higher cost of the printer itself? For ...

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ...

Printing in B&W on a color laser printer
I recently purchased a Brother MFC-9420CN, running on Win XP. I'd like to be be able to print certain web pages that use colored text in black-and-white. But when I try changing the print settings, the closest I get is grayscale text. Is there any way to print those colors as pure -black-and-white? If not, does anyone know of a utility that would convert the page to b&w before sending it to the printer? thanks! "cityboy" <cityboy3@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:18950c78-61bd-4357-90f8-ce7a80a1fc75@a35g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I recently purchased...

Firefox prints b&w to a color printer #2
firefox is printing our in black and white to our phaser 780. However, other browsers and apps are printing in color from the same machine to the same printer... Any one have an idea as to what is wrong? ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---- ...

My Canon printer is always out of colored ink and I only print B&W
I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color cartridges to be replaced. I am thinking of changing all of them to black. (last resort as I do use color rarely) The black seems to last longer than the color, but I have bought so many color ones that I really can't keep up. On Nov 18, 7:18 pm, metspitzer <kilow...@charter.net> wrote: > I have a Canon MP 780 and it is always asking for one of the color > cartridges to be replaced. I am thinking of changing all of them to > black. (last resort as I do use color rarely) > > The black ...

Epson Stylus Color 900 - took out a full color cartridge to test in another printer
I downloaded and installed sscserve.exe from http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml but I can't get that program to work or I still can't get the printer to print - not sure which (but there is NO ink printing from the printer now). Anyone use that app on this printer successfully? OR is there another app that will work? OR a hardware fix? Thanks! Brad ...

Color pictures from b/w printer
Hi, I have an idea of preparing color printouts on a black-and-white printer. The idea is similar to the one used in LCD screens. A special filter with RGB stripes is placed on a b/w printout, which has RGB components printed (in b/w) exactly under appropriate filter. The printout (without any filters) would look like a normal b/w picture with reduced resolution, but with the filter - like a color printout. There may be some problem with the size of stripes, brightness of the picture, interference between the raster and stripes etc. Did anyone hear of such a method? I could...

Color pictures from b/w printer #2
Hi, I have an idea of preparing color printouts on a black-and-white printer. The idea is similar to the one used in LCD screens. A special filter with RGB stripes is placed on a b/w printout, which has RGB components printed (in b/w) exactly under appropriate filter. The printout (without any filters) would look like a normal b/w picture with reduced resolution, but with the filter - like a color printout. There may be some problem with the size of stripes, brightness of the picture, interference between the raster and stripes etc. Did anyone hear of such a method? I couldn...

alternate grayscale mappings for colors on b/w printer
We don't like the gray values chosen for certain colors from graphs when printed on a black and white printer (e.g. HP LaserJet). Any ideas how we might be able to create our own mappings from certain RGB values to certain grayscale values? Can we do this with ICC Profiles? If so, what tool(s) would be good to use? Is there anything we can do with printer drivers? Or would a solution using Adobe Acrobat/Distiller as an intermediate step be best? Thanks in advance, Scott if the end result is b&w, then use b&w on the charts or pick a color that gives the result you want. if...

Color laser printer prints colors much darker than screen colors
I want to be able to print the standard basic colors** exactly the same way that they appear on the screen. A specific instance of this is that cyan*** is printed as a much darker shade of blue than appears on the screen. I have found this exact same problem exists across several laser printer brands and models, and is likely an issue with all laser printers. How can I correct this problem? ** (Defined by combinations of RGB values at their maximum value of 255 and half of their maximum value of 128) . *** cyan--->Red(0), Green(255), Blue(255) Peter Olcott wrote:...

is samsung b&w laser printer good for printing envelopes?
I have need for a laser printer that will print 200-250 envelopes at a time. Has anyone reading this used any of the Samsung laser printers? They appear to be price competitive, but I desire to know how efficient they are for envelope printing? best, Aaron I have a Samsung ML1510 (Don't laugh) it's only an 'El Cheapo', actually I was looking for a replacement for the dreaded Epson C62 and came across this at Dabbs Computers, Bolton, UK for about �48 - and it proved to be a real work horse, I got this initially to make printed circuit boards by using 'Toner Transfer paper' and does a remarkable job infact the C62 is just ornament now as it does almost everyhting. It has already had two toner refill's, I found I could refill the toner for about �6 instead of replacing the entire toner unit for around �60. Decide on the model and check the following and you can save a lot of money by getting refills instead of toner cartridge unit, which incidentally contains the drum unit, hence the expense.. http://www.refilltoner.com/samsungRefillCom.html The site not only tells you the models that are refillable but explains and shows how to do it. This particular one does crease the envelopes slightly in one corner - DON'T TAKE THIS AS SAYING THAT ALL OTHER MODELS ARE THE SAME, this is after all an 'El Cheapo' but the text is crisp as can be expected, so you really would need to check this point, I wou...

How to make darker the print of a Samsung ML-4500 b&w laser printer?
I have a Samsung ML-4500 b&w laser printer. The printing is okay for my notes, but not dark enough to give to someone. I've only printed 20 pages, but it's consistent, not getting any lighter or darker, so I figure it's not running out of toner. I see no method on the machine or in the manual to darken the print. I just got it used. Am I stuck? Is this what some laser printers are like? You can download a .pdf file of the User Manual for this printer for free from the internet. It is a nice 102 page document with all sorts of valuable information. Just ty...

Queue of printer cycles, but printer does not print
Hi, we have two printers in our network, both connected to a different computer. When installed, they worked well, but now and then they refuse to print and they show a strange bahaviour. When looking in the Queue (Spooler), the print jobs are cycling. So, the first becomes the last while the second becomes the first, thirt becomes second, etc When we restart the computer, the printer starts printing, just befor shutdown. We Run XP-pro. Any ideas????? Thanks, Ben By the way, it is an old panasonic matrix printer (used for labels) and a HP officejet HP 1170c, bot...

Best black and white photo printer with no or very little color casting? Any ideas? b&w bw
EOM ...

Need recommendations for a cheap B&W printer to print coupons and grand kids 'art'.
Need recommendations for a cheap B&W printer to print coupons, letter/envelopes and grand kids 'art'. At least 30 sheets a day more or less. OS = 10.8, XP and W7. TIA "NotMe" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:jc064s$t3d$1@dont-email.me... > Need recommendations for a cheap B&W printer to print coupons, > letter/envelopes and grand kids 'art'. At least 30 sheets a day more or > less. > > OS = 10.8, XP and W7. > > TIA > With 30 sheets a day in B/W your best option is a laser printer, even if ...

ATTAC "On the Fly printing" printing to default printer regardless of printer choice in dialog box.
Our application has used this PrintersClass module for some time without a problem but some new Toughbooks have caused problems. We use laser printers, usually the default choice, and some label printers. The label printers use the Seagull Scientific print drivers. The new notebooks will not print to the selected label printers even though the default printer for the report comes up in the dialog box as the selected printer. Even if you redundantly select this label printer again, before selecting print, you get the label printed to the user profile's default printer instead of the selecte...

I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the printer. Is this true?
I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the printer. Is this true? "Enda80" <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a1ec1b40-d0e7-4824-aa7d-c968a5a6a654@z66g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... >I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put > it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt > the > printer. Is this true? I did it once and the printer was so hurt it bawled like a baby for 15 minutes! "Enda80&qu...

IE - Print to Default Printer
Hello, I have an .asp page that needs to print multiple, seperate text documents to 1 printer. That one printer could be any printer based on the user. I aldready have the hDC (Device Context) of their desired printer on a previous page. I simply want to do the Window.print or some other method to print these documents without having the Print Dialog box display forceing the user to select the same printer over and over again. This can be in either JavaScript or VBScript for all I care. Heck, even .Net if need-be. I just really need help. TIA, Kevin ...

hobbicolors.com review: 4 color printer = "hot", 6 color printer = "not"
I haven't posted for a while. I assume that all the main characters are still here. Measekite, Frank, Burt, Dan G, a teacher, a retired HP employee, TJ, Talyisian and etc. Well about a year ago I posted that I tested an i960 canon printer (6 color printer) with hobbicolor ink. I was disappointed with the results. The photos it printed was not acceptable. However, a few months later, the same ink was tested on a 4 color canon printer. Wow! It printed incredible. I'd say it was OEM quality. That was without any software modification. Actually it was tested by hooking...

Printer Ink

get HP color printer print black&white if some color cartridge is used up
the printer (HP Color LaserJet 3500) refuses to print anything until the supply is replaced. Isn't it really possible to print monochrome documents if one of the color (eg, cyan) cartridges ends? "A" <kkadrese@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:179c645b.0503230653.20e2c086@posting.google.com... > the printer (HP Color LaserJet 3500) refuses to print anything until > the supply is replaced. Isn't it really possible to print monochrome > documents if one of the color (eg, cyan) cartridges ends? > No. It uses the color inks to make the black look 'blacker'. No colors... no black. Not specific to HP... most other manufacturers do exactly the same thing. If you want grayscale it's best to use a laser printer. -- Cari (MS-MVP Printing & Imaging) ...

A printer attached to Windows report printer faulted printing
Does anybody knows how to solve this error? The output below is from a printer attached to an Windows Server root@sapunx10 # lpstat -p BAPRIP01 printer BAPRIP01 faulted printing BAPRIP01-0. enabled since Dec 28 11:03 2006. available. Windows NT LPD Server Printer BAPRIP01 Owner Status Jobname Job-Id Size Pages Priority ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- root (10.0. Waiting /etc/apache/httpd-s 1326 9402 0 1 cbpadm (10. Waiting /usr/sap/CBP/D01/da 240...

Web resources about - Fooling a Brother color printer to print in B/W? - comp.periphs.printers

Fooling the enemy - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
An AC-130U gunship jettisons flares Aug. 20 over an area near Hurlburt Field, Fla. The flares are a countermeasure for heat-seeking missiles ...

UK Wind Farm, Local Opposition, Age of Stupid, Lady fooling herself, Part 1 - YouTube
A clip from the movie - The age of Stupid. It talks about present age and that we are stupid. Polls show that 70-80% British are in favour of ...

7-Eleven: Head office is not fooling anyone
7-Eleven head office's shock act of offering to help franchisees shouldn't fool anybody.

Harper and Abbott: Two fossils fooling no one
The two PMs feign concern for reducing carbon emissions but what unites them is a concern to protect their giant fossil fuel export industries. ...

PM's childish tactics not fooling anyone
"It's not fair" is a well-known diversionary tactic employed by toddlers, Tony Abbott, we can see through it.

Microsoft not fooling anyone by using FairSearch front in antitrust complaint against Google
Microsoft isn't fooling anyone by hiding behind a trade group to complain to European antitrust regulators about Google and its Android mobile ...

Vietnam fooling no one in maritime dispute: Chinese expert
Vietnam fooling no one in maritime dispute: Chinese expert People's Daily Online On September 4,1958, the government of the People's Republic ...

7 Ways You’re Fooling Yourself While Calculating Brand Value
Brands can’t resist the allure of large, boastful numbers, especially if easy to achieve. High profile premium placements, such as on Snapchat ...

Snow fooling: 'The Amazing Race' returns with visit to Switzerland - al.com
After a week off, &#8220;The Amazing Race&#8221; resumes tonight, with a Huntsville hockey player and a married couple from Daphne still in the ...

Fooling Yourself
Fooling Yourself