Generic inks for CANON printers?

I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will be
a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which the
generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
generics be ok?

On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so thats a
plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 sets on ebay for
half the price. It's tempting!

Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon printers?
My parents have a real old (10+ years) canon bubblejet printer that has been
refilled with black ink alot and it's handled it ok.

aloha

0
Brian

Brian wrote:
> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay
> will be a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses
> durabrite which the generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use
> this feature so would generics be ok?
>
> On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so
> thats a plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4
> sets on ebay for half the price. It's tempting!
>
> Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon
> printers? My parents have a real old (10+ years) canon bubblejet
> printer that has been refilled with black ink alot and it's handled
> it ok.
> aloha

I'm just gonna say this: i've had i550 for a year and half. I bought one
refill set of color & Black ink and refilled about 5-6 times in that time.
After this time head went dead. So, now i boght ip4000. BUT, if i calculate
that i would bought 5-6 cart sets in this period, i still saved quite some
money... So, even if printer lasts just over a year, it's worthed. Not to
mention that refill ink print result was just the same as original one.
NOW, at first i thought i'm gonna buy only original from now on...now i'm
not so sure anymore...i think i just might buy refill set again...
It's just....it would be better to order ip4000....much better photo
printing! (just my humble opinion)

0
SleeperMan
11/26/2004 7:15:34 PM
In article Brian says...
> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will be
> a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which the
> generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
> generics be ok?

Generics still don't match Canon quality overall but the colours used in
your iP3000 may be OK
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1003&message=11193434
0
colinco
11/26/2004 7:28:41 PM
EBay ink = NO
Legitimate 3rd-party ink from reputable supplier = YES

Been using ink from http://www.inkjetsaver.com/ for a couple years in my
Canon with not one head problem. A couple of my tanks are still the
originals.

"Brian" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will
be
> a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which
the
> generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
> generics be ok?
>
> On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so thats
> plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 sets on ebay
for
> half the price. It's tempting!
>
> Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon printers?
> My parents have a real old (10+ years) canon bubblejet printer that has
been
> refilled with black ink alot and it's handled it ok.
>
> aloha

0
Dan
11/26/2004 7:30:36 PM
"Brian" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

> Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon
printers?

Yes, I'm positve about generic inks in Canon printers - providing your
generic ink is reputable, they don't seem to be the cause of major
problems - *but* ... read on!

I too, dumped Epson after my Photo 700 head expired. It worked
extremely well for several years before the head clogged beyond my
ability to recover it (generic refills, I cut away a part of the
printer case to allow refilling whilst the heads were parked).

I then purchased a BJC-6200 around 2 years ago and refilled with
generic inks.  Since then, my hi res paper purchases indicate our
BJC-6200 has printed no more than 1500 to 1700 pages of around an
estimated 10 to 15% coverage.

I use the 6200 with a Photo Cartridge and a CMY Cartridge installed.
The killer has been the number of head replacements (cartridges)
required and their high costs.  I've had to replace 7 heads (4 CMY and
3 Photo cartridges).  One of those six head failures was possibly my
own fault - in a last ditch attempt to recover a failed cartridge, I
most likely caused the second one of the pair to also fail.

I've just had another CMY cartridge/head fail two weeks ago - the
fifth CMY (including the original supplied with the printer).  The
printer no longer recognises the failed cartridge (error message: "no
cartridge fitted").  At AUS$175 average price for the pair of
cartridges (BCI-31 and BCI-32), the head costs have eclipsed the cost
of inks by far.  The cost of the printed pages has been uneconomic.
Head failures caused by bad ink, perhaps?  Possible, I suppose, but
several head replacements occurred when the printer failed to
recognise its own cartridges, which I believe is caused by an
electronic failure inside the printhead/cartridge.  My inks were
obtained from an Australian supplier, Stroudco, which I understand has
a good reputation for ink.

I needed to buy an i865 earlier this year, for the printable DVD
ability.  I read in the ng that many are having to replace heads in
this printer too, so I'm trying to keep this printer for DVD's only.
I guess I've reached the point where I'll eventually dump ink jets for
everything except printable DVD's (and the occasional photo).  A
colour laser would make much more sense for printing brochures (with
small photos incorporated), notwithstanding the less pleasing visual
appeal compared to inkjet printed pages.

I won't ever touch Epson again, the "chipping" of their cartridges
sees to that, yet for us, Canon elevated inkjet print costs to obscene
levels with their poor printhead durability, far above Epson print
costs.  There's a real opening for a printer company to make and
market an upper end printer at relatively high cost, but with
consumables at a realistic level.  For the moment, the inkjet
companies are making far too much profit to change their strategy.
It's hard to see how this might change any time soon, because for the
moment, the inkjet companies have us by the short and curlies.

Regards,
Hughy

0
Harry
11/27/2004 12:28:22 AM
Brian wrote:

> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will be
> a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which the
> generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
> generics be ok?

Take a look at "Article from PCWorld on The Poor Permanence of Many Third-Party Inks!"
The link to it is at: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/

> On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so thats a
> plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 sets on ebay for
> half the price. It's tempting!

They are? I doubt.

BCI-6 13ml ink for S900/S9000, 9100 and 9900 (and possibly
many others) cost in retail $10-$12 a piece, online around
$8 and up.

Epsons archival pigment inks for 2200 and such cost...
the same. I see prices of $7 to $12 in retail and online.
Search for T0342nn and see for yourself. My impression
is that these inks cost the same.

And: Canon inks might fade faster you wish they would!
I have a large Canon printer, we have to print anew many
faded images.

Thomas
0
ThomasH
11/27/2004 1:42:16 AM
The Epson ink for my old C82 was about $35 in store for a black, and $13 per
color. I sold the leftover inks I had from all my warranty replacements and
got $50 per set of 4 cartridges on ebay. Much more expensive than Canons.
The canon ip3000 should ship out monday from office max this should be more
durable than that poor epson was!

"ThomasH" <henrymot@some.net> wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
>>
>> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
>> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will
>> be
>> a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which
>> the
>> generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
>> generics be ok?
>
> Take a look at "Article from PCWorld on The Poor Permanence of Many
> Third-Party Inks!"
> The link to it is at: http://www.wilhelm-research.com/
>

>> On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so
>> thats a
>> plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 sets on ebay
>> for
>> half the price. It's tempting!
>
> They are? I doubt.
>
> BCI-6 13ml ink for S900/S9000, 9100 and 9900 (and possibly
> many others) cost in retail $10-$12 a piece, online around
> $8 and up.
>
> Epsons archival pigment inks for 2200 and such cost...
> the same. I see prices of $7 to $12 in retail and online.
> Search for T0342nn and see for yourself. My impression
> is that these inks cost the same.
>
> And: Canon inks might fade faster you wish they would!
> I have a large Canon printer, we have to print anew many
> faded images.
>
> Thomas

0
Brian
11/27/2004 6:02:52 AM
I cannot comment of the quality of generic inks for Canon printer sold
on ebay.  I would be surprised anyone else could either, without knowing
specifically which inks or vendor is involved.  They aren't all the same.

The inks for the C82 you were using (assuming you were using Epson OEM
ink) are use pigments and are waterproof and fairly fadeproof.

You will not find the same thing with Canon inks, even those from Canon.

Art

Brian wrote:

> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay will be
> a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses durabrite which the
> generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use this feature so would
> generics be ok?
>
> On the bright side genuine canon inks are alot cheaper than epson so thats a
> plus, but for the price of a set of genuines I can get 3-4 sets on ebay for
> half the price. It's tempting!
>
> Can anyone say anything positive about generic inks in the canon printers?
> My parents have a real old (10+ years) canon bubblejet printer that has been
> refilled with black ink alot and it's handled it ok.
>
> aloha

0
Arthur
11/27/2004 11:40:01 AM
Brian wrote:

> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay
> will be a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses
> durabrite which the generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use
> this feature so would generics be ok?

I have a very lightly used (less than 200 pages) S520 that died right after
I installed Best Buy's ink.

Coincidence? Don't know...
0
crabbs
12/21/2004 12:24:33 AM
Did that void the warranty?  What did Canon say?

Bill Crocker

"crabbs" <crabbs347@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
>
>> I just ordered a canon ip3000 after my 6th and last epson C82 warranty
>> replacement broke. I was wondering if use of generic inks from ebay
>> will be a problem with the canon printer. I know that epson uses
>> durabrite which the generics can't duplicate, but canon doesn't use
>> this feature so would generics be ok?
>
> I have a very lightly used (less than 200 pages) S520 that died right
> after
> I installed Best Buy's ink.
>
> Coincidence? Don't know...

0
Bill

Printer Ink

generic ink for Canon printers satisfactory?
I have a Canon I860 color inkjet printer that has made fantastic prints using the original Canon ink cartridges that came with the printer. Some of the cartridges are now empty and need replacing. Are there non-Canon cartridges that are as satisfactory as Canon's own brand? If so, may I ask for recommendations? best, Aaron On 27 Jun 2004 08:07:59 -0700, aaronep@pacbell.net (Aaron Epstein) wrote: >I have a Canon I860 color inkjet printer that has made fantastic >prints using the original Canon ink cartridges that came with the >printer. > >Some of...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)

HP printer vs. Canon printer

Canon 4 ink Vs 6 ink printers
Is there much different in photo print quality between Canon, or any other manufactuers for that matter, 4 and 6 ink printers? Been looking at the iP5200 and iP6600D printers. Not really sure the card slots and screen are worth the extra money over the iP5200 but do these *and* the 6 ink system of the iP6600 make it worth considering over the iP5200? In the UK the iP5200 can be had for around �115 and the iP6600D for around �170. Jack Torrence wrote: >Is there much different in photo print quality between Canon, or any other >manufactuers for that matter, 4 and 6 ink printers? > > YES. WHEN USING OEM INK CANON HAS MORE LIFE AND SNAP TO THE PHOTOS THAN THE COMPETING BRANDS. THE OEM INK ALSO COSTS LESS >Been looking at the iP5200 and iP6600D printers. > I WOULD SAY THAT THE IP5200 IS A BETTER BET IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE A COMPUTER TO EDIT YOUR PHOTOS WITH DECENT SOFTWARE. >Not really sure the card >slots and screen are worth the extra money > THEY ARE A WASTE JUST LIKE THE IP6000 THAT WAS INFERIOR >over the iP5200 but do these >*and* the 6 ink system of the iP6600 make it worth considering over the >iP5200? > > ABSOLUTLEY NOT >In the UK the iP5200 can be had for around �115 and the iP6600D for around >�170. > > PUT YOUR MONEY IN OEM INK > > > measekite wrote: > > Jack Torrence wrote: > > >Is there much diffe...

Question about the waste ink tank in Canon IP5000 (and other Canon printers)
I've read this 'tank' contains ink from the cleaning cycles of the printer, and a cleaning happens automatically every time ink cartridges are replaced. So my question is how many times do I have to replace the cartridges with new ones before an error message appears saying the tank is full? Anyone taken a printer to Canon to have the tank emptied? How much did they charge? The amount of ink consumed in the cleaning cycles when replacing tanks is minimal, but cleaning cycles also occur based upon printer usage, time intervals and when requested by the user. The deep cleaning routines use the most ink. There have been many discussions on this newsgroup and in other forums about the 'waste ink tank is full' messages and how to reset the printer. Taking the printer to a repair facility may end up costing nearly as much as a new printer. The tank isn't a bottle or container as the name implies. It is an absorbent pad. If you don't go overboard with deep cleaning cycles the chances are good that you'll not ever see this message for your printer. -- Ron "Hg" <hg@gh.hg> wrote in message news:42eb7fa8$0$78157$65c69314@mercury.nildram.net... > I've read this 'tank' contains ink from the cleaning cycles of the > printer, > and a cleaning happens automatically every time ink cartridges are > replaced. > So my question is how many times do I have to replace the cartridg...

Canon Cat printer driver for HP printer

Replacement Ink for Canon printer
I have the Canon MP 780 all in one and it uses the number 6 black 3e black and 6 yellow 6 magenta and 6 Cyan where can I purchase replacements or should use refills if refills our available for a good price? "Kenneth Maultsby" <kmaultsby@verizon.net> wrote in message news:UogEe.426$Eo3.416@trnddc08... >I have the Canon MP 780 all in one and it uses the number 6 black 3e black >and 6 yellow 6 magenta and 6 Cyan where can I purchase replacements or >should use refills if refills our available for a good price? > Country? Region? For bulk ink www.alotofthings.com is a very good vendor. I've been a customer of theirs for several years. They stock Sensient-Formulabs ink for refilling. If you want prefilled cartridges a good source is abacus http://stores.ebay.com/AbacusInk/AbacusInk-Canon.html or www.tylermartin.com (on eBay http://stores.ebay.com/AbacusInk/AbacusInk-Canon.html ). For more information on refilling check out www.nifty-stuff.com. Several of us on this newsgroup are regulars on that forum and you'll get some very good info without the ridiculous comments from the anti 3rd party ink troll who has inflicted himself upon this newsgroup. -- Ron "Kenneth Maultsby" <kmaultsby@verizon.net> wrote in message news:UogEe.426$Eo3.416@trnddc08... >I have the Canon MP 780 all in one and it uses the number 6 black 3e black >and 6 yellow 6 magenta and 6 Cyan where can ...

Aftermarket ink for Canon printer
A aftermarket ink store is selling out their stock of Liberty Canon carts because they are changing suppliers. I don't know if it is because of problems or price points. If I mix Liberty carts with Canon-brande ones will the results be satisfactory? I'm particularly concerned with gumming up the print head om my M600. Brendan mixing carts shouldn't matter don't forget when you run out of a cartridge your not mixing the inks in the printhead its only being mixed on the paper www.bizco.com.au "Brendan R. Wehrung" <ck183@FreeNet.Carleton.CA>...

Canon Pixma Printer Ink
5-Pack Non-OEM Ink w/ Chip for Canon PGI-5BK CLI-8 Pixma MP500 MP530 MP600 MP800 iP4200 iP4300 iP4500 iP5200 iP5200 Price:$8.91 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B001IO6DEY Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B001IO6DEY Canon Pixma Pro9000 Professional Large Format Inkjet Printer (9995A001) Price:$499.99 Image: http://bestdealfinder.us/image.php?id=B000J1HPK8 Best deal: http://bestdealfinder.us/index.php?id=B000J1HPK8 6 Pack (3xBlack + 1 of Each Color) Compatible Ink w/ Chip for Canon Pixma iP3300 iP3500 MP510 MX700 PGI-5BK CLI-8 Price:$21.45 Image: http://bestdea...

Your Ink for Espon Canon printer
special offer suitable for all Epson Canon inkjet printer , welcom to visit http://xibase.net/products.php or tel 2683 2829 , free delivery. ...

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

No printer model for Canon in Tiger Printer Setup Utility
I have successfully set up remote printing from my OS X 10.4 Tiger laptop to my Canon S750 printer connected to my Win XP home PC. I can print across the network, through the XP box and all the way to the printer - but nothing emerges. I suspect that my problem is the lack of any Canon printer models to choose from in the Printer Setup Utility on the OS X laptop. When I open the Printer Setup Utility and click on the "More Printers ..." button, I can navigate through the workgroup to the XP box and to the Shared printer without any problems. In the Printer Model pulldown, ...

Creating a generic printer interface (encapsulating a printer driver)?
I would like to enable a system to basically accept any type of printer (well, within limits, as it is a POS). As such, I would like to encapsulate the printer driver's specific API and expose a generic one (effectively mediating between the driver and the application). This was the application only has to know one type of interface and printers can be switched at will. Of course one would have to write a pice of glue to encapsulate the specific driver, but I hope with sufficient insentive the manufacture might do that. So: - Is this a good design/idea? - What would a "...

Canon printer ink usage
Strange problem! I purchased a new computer a little more than a year ago. Along with it I got a Canon Pixma MP520 printer. As all new printers, it had four new ink cartridges in it. I set up the software so it only printed black and grey. There were no colors involved. The other day it complained (slightly over a year's use) that it was running out of Cyan. I replaced the Cyan cartridge and it began working again. Bit I noticed the cartridge I removed was 40-50% full of ink. Two things occur to me: (1) Why would it be reported as empty? (2) Why would it be emp...

Is HP ink compatible with Canon Printers?
I have some left over bulk ink from a HP ink jet printer (DeskJet 820Cxi). Can I use this in a Canon i560? "JuanKnighter" <juanknighter@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<10ntap423emd3e3@corp.supernews.com>... > I have some left over bulk ink from a HP ink jet printer (DeskJet 820Cxi). > Can I use this in a Canon i560? You could end up paying a lot more for ink in the long run by trying that. Aside from the thermal qualities, the shade of ink will probably not be exactly the same. A different shade of ink will contaminate the felt pad (whatever ...

Lyson quad inks for Canon printers
Is anyone actually using Lyson quad or reduced gamut inks for printing black and white photos on Canon printers? If so, what do you like or dislike about them? It seems that only Lyson makes these inks for Canon printers. MIS and Piezography inks are for Epson printers only. Piezography is working on adapting their inks to Canon printers but haven't released any products yet. Thanks in advance, Jim ...

Ink for refilling Canon printer cartridges
About 3-4 years ago I found out you can refill printer cartridges and found a Canadian company that sold refill kits & ink. I bought a pint bottle and am just now running out, but it's been so long I have lost their contact info. The labels and instruction sheets don't have their name or number. Since I've had such good luck with their ink, I'd like to buy from them again before trying out another company. Anybody recognize this company? I remain respectful and a little bit hongry, X Guv Bob http://www.geocities.com/guvbob2003 Represented in all slander...

Web resources about - Generic inks for CANON printers? - comp.periphs.printers

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can you really get a solid all-in-one printer, copier and scanner for just $90?
... Deals team's advice. And in this case, we're going to help you upgrade to the Epson WorkForce WF-3620 WiFi Direct All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, ...

Engineering students invented a 'pancake printer' that takes breakfast to the next level
It's Pancake Day! And what better way to celebrate than with the modern marvel that is this machine that will create pancakes in any shape you ...

How 3D printers are changing plastic surgery
The new technology is allowing patients to see a preview of their new faces before going under the knife