f



Good aftermarket for HP 56 & 57 printer inks?

I've never tried tis and am wondering if there are any gotcha's.

-- 
dowop
0
Dowop
6/8/2009 11:57:53 AM
comp.periphs.printers 18139 articles. 0 followers. Post Follow

18 Replies
724 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 24

Dowop wrote:
> I've never tried tis and am wondering if there are any gotcha's.
> 
Are you looking to refill yourself, or for carts that have been refilled 
by somebody else?

TJ
0
TJ
6/8/2009 12:28:14 PM
www.bizco.com.au

they have both


"TJ" <TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
news:h0j0d3$d8d$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> Dowop wrote:
>> I've never tried tis and am wondering if there are any gotcha's.
>>
> Are you looking to refill yourself, or for carts that have been refilled 
> by somebody else?
>
> TJ
> 


0
justme
6/9/2009 10:49:12 AM
I went to bizco.com.au and could only find bulk for my HP. Perhaps I'm
missing something. My HP57 is 3 inks in one unit. I did not see this
also. I will contact the company and find out. 

I did not realize that I could refill myself. How messy would somethig
like this be?  I assume that the savings of doing myself is costs musch
less.  

I've seen ads where you send in your cartridge, and they'll return
someone else's cartridge that they refilled. I was wondering if
companys use HP ink or other ink to bring down the cost. Has anyone had
any problems using these?


In article <4a2e3e30$0$7111$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, justme
<nobodyhome@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> www.bizco.com.au
> 
> they have both
> 
> 
> "TJ" <TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote in message 
> news:h0j0d3$d8d$1@news.eternal-september.org...
> > Dowop wrote:
> >> I've never tried tis and am wondering if there are any gotcha's.
> >>
> > Are you looking to refill yourself, or for carts that have been refilled 
> > by somebody else?
> >
> > TJ
> > 
> 
>

-- 
dowop
0
Dowop
6/10/2009 12:32:20 PM
Dowop wrote:
> I went to bizco.com.au and could only find bulk for my HP. Perhaps I'm
> missing something. My HP57 is 3 inks in one unit. I did not see this
> also. I will contact the company and find out. 
> 
> I did not realize that I could refill myself. How messy would somethig
> like this be?  I assume that the savings of doing myself is costs musch
> less.  
> 
> I've seen ads where you send in your cartridge, and they'll return
> someone else's cartridge that they refilled. I was wondering if
> companys use HP ink or other ink to bring down the cost. Has anyone had
> any problems using these?
> 
Companies that refill cartridges do not use "Official" HP ink, because 
HP will not sell it to them. Many refillers use ink that is "universal" 
and is supposed to work in any printer, but it's best to avoid them 
because there are subtle differences in color across different printer 
brands. Other companies use inks that, while not sanctioned by HP, have 
been developed especially for your HP printer. In general, those will 
work much better than the universal inks.

The same goes for refilling yourself. As for the procedure, try 
searching with Google for "HP 56 57 refill instructions" and you should 
see some links that will direct you to videos showing the whole thing to 
you. It's not difficult, and not messy with just a bit of practice. I 
recommend buying a refill "kit" to start with, then bulk ink if you wish 
to continue.

One warning: I have had uneven results with buying refilled or 
"remanufactured" HP 56 and 57 cartridges, the tricolor cart especially. 
While the refillers are supposed to be cleaning and checking the 
cartridges before they refill them, some are better at it than others. 
The last supplier I tried started off well, but fell off later. Now, I 
buy expired genuine HP carts on Ebay. Only one so far, but so far, so good.

TJ
0
TJ
6/11/2009 12:38:33 AM
In article <h0pjul$f75$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
<TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Dowop wrote:
> > I went to bizco.com.au and could only find bulk for my HP. Perhaps I'm
> > missing something. My HP57 is 3 inks in one unit. I did not see this
> > also. I will contact the company and find out. 
> > 
> > I did not realize that I could refill myself. How messy would somethig
> > like this be?  I assume that the savings of doing myself is costs musch
> > less.  
> > 
> > I've seen ads where you send in your cartridge, and they'll return
> > someone else's cartridge that they refilled. I was wondering if
> > companys use HP ink or other ink to bring down the cost. Has anyone had
> > any problems using these?
> > 
> Companies that refill cartridges do not use "Official" HP ink, because 
> HP will not sell it to them. Many refillers use ink that is "universal" 
> and is supposed to work in any printer, but it's best to avoid them 
> because there are subtle differences in color across different printer 
> brands. Other companies use inks that, while not sanctioned by HP, have 
> been developed especially for your HP printer. In general, those will 
> work much better than the universal inks.
> 
> The same goes for refilling yourself. As for the procedure, try 
> searching with Google for "HP 56 57 refill instructions" and you should 
> see some links that will direct you to videos showing the whole thing to 
> you. It's not difficult, and not messy with just a bit of practice. I 
> recommend buying a refill "kit" to start with, then bulk ink if you wish 
> to continue.
> 
> One warning: I have had uneven results with buying refilled or 
> "remanufactured" HP 56 and 57 cartridges, the tricolor cart especially. 
> While the refillers are supposed to be cleaning and checking the 
> cartridges before they refill them, some are better at it than others. 
> The last supplier I tried started off well, but fell off later. Now, I 
> buy expired genuine HP carts on Ebay. Only one so far, but so far, so good.
> 
> TJ
Thank you! so very much for your fine and experienced information. I've
done the Google search and found 57,900 hits! Are there any places that
you know of that advertise that they have developed equivalent HP ink?

-- 
dowop
0
Dowop
6/11/2009 12:03:57 PM
"Dowop" <Dowop@abc.com> wrote in message 
news:110620090803572577%Dowop@abc.com...
> In article <h0pjul$f75$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
> <TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Dowop wrote:
>> > I went to bizco.com.au and could only find bulk for my HP. Perhaps I'm
>> > missing something. My HP57 is 3 inks in one unit. I did not see this
>> > also. I will contact the company and find out.
>> >
>> > I did not realize that I could refill myself. How messy would somethig
>> > like this be?  I assume that the savings of doing myself is costs musch
>> > less.
>> >
>> > I've seen ads where you send in your cartridge, and they'll return
>> > someone else's cartridge that they refilled. I was wondering if
>> > companys use HP ink or other ink to bring down the cost. Has anyone had
>> > any problems using these?
>> >
>> Companies that refill cartridges do not use "Official" HP ink, because
>> HP will not sell it to them. Many refillers use ink that is "universal"
>> and is supposed to work in any printer, but it's best to avoid them
>> because there are subtle differences in color across different printer
>> brands. Other companies use inks that, while not sanctioned by HP, have
>> been developed especially for your HP printer. In general, those will
>> work much better than the universal inks.
>>
>> The same goes for refilling yourself. As for the procedure, try
>> searching with Google for "HP 56 57 refill instructions" and you should
>> see some links that will direct you to videos showing the whole thing to
>> you. It's not difficult, and not messy with just a bit of practice. I
>> recommend buying a refill "kit" to start with, then bulk ink if you wish
>> to continue.
>>
>> One warning: I have had uneven results with buying refilled or
>> "remanufactured" HP 56 and 57 cartridges, the tricolor cart especially.
>> While the refillers are supposed to be cleaning and checking the
>> cartridges before they refill them, some are better at it than others.
>> The last supplier I tried started off well, but fell off later. Now, I
>> buy expired genuine HP carts on Ebay. Only one so far, but so far, so 
>> good.
>>
>> TJ
> Thank you! so very much for your fine and experienced information. I've
> done the Google search and found 57,900 hits! Are there any places that
> you know of that advertise that they have developed equivalent HP ink?
>
> -- 
> dowop

I use MR INK. Buy it in pint size. Buy a starter kit first. That has 
instructions and syringes. Be sure to specify HP printer. WW 


0
WW
6/11/2009 2:25:41 PM
In article <edKdnemimuhPjqzXnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d@bresnan.com>, WW
<ccco@nospambresnan.net> wrote:

> "Dowop" <Dowop@abc.com> wrote in message 
> news:110620090803572577%Dowop@abc.com...
> > In article <h0pjul$f75$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
> > <TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> Dowop wrote:
> >> > I went to bizco.com.au and could only find bulk for my HP. Perhaps I'm
> >> > missing something. My HP57 is 3 inks in one unit. I did not see this
> >> > also. I will contact the company and find out.
> >> >
> >> > I did not realize that I could refill myself. How messy would somethig
> >> > like this be?  I assume that the savings of doing myself is costs musch
> >> > less.
> >> >
> >> > I've seen ads where you send in your cartridge, and they'll return
> >> > someone else's cartridge that they refilled. I was wondering if
> >> > companys use HP ink or other ink to bring down the cost. Has anyone had
> >> > any problems using these?
> >> >
> >> Companies that refill cartridges do not use "Official" HP ink, because
> >> HP will not sell it to them. Many refillers use ink that is "universal"
> >> and is supposed to work in any printer, but it's best to avoid them
> >> because there are subtle differences in color across different printer
> >> brands. Other companies use inks that, while not sanctioned by HP, have
> >> been developed especially for your HP printer. In general, those will
> >> work much better than the universal inks.
> >>
> >> The same goes for refilling yourself. As for the procedure, try
> >> searching with Google for "HP 56 57 refill instructions" and you should
> >> see some links that will direct you to videos showing the whole thing to
> >> you. It's not difficult, and not messy with just a bit of practice. I
> >> recommend buying a refill "kit" to start with, then bulk ink if you wish
> >> to continue.
> >>
> >> One warning: I have had uneven results with buying refilled or
> >> "remanufactured" HP 56 and 57 cartridges, the tricolor cart especially.
> >> While the refillers are supposed to be cleaning and checking the
> >> cartridges before they refill them, some are better at it than others.
> >> The last supplier I tried started off well, but fell off later. Now, I
> >> buy expired genuine HP carts on Ebay. Only one so far, but so far, so 
> >> good.
> >>
> >> TJ
> > Thank you! so very much for your fine and experienced information. I've
> > done the Google search and found 57,900 hits! Are there any places that
> > you know of that advertise that they have developed equivalent HP ink?
> >
> > -- 
> > dowop
> 
> I use MR INK. Buy it in pint size. Buy a starter kit first. That has 
> instructions and syringes. Be sure to specify HP printer. WW 
> 
> 
Thank you!

-- 
dowop
0
Dowop
6/12/2009 2:47:31 AM
On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:03:57 -0400, Dowop wrote:

> In article <h0pjul$f75$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
> <TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> 
>> Dowop wrote:
>> > I went to bizco.com.au and could only find bulk for my HP. Perhaps I'm
>> > missing something. My HP57 is 3 inks in one unit. I did not see this
>> > also. I will contact the company and find out. 
>> > 
>> > I did not realize that I could refill myself. How messy would somethig
>> > like this be?  I assume that the savings of doing myself is costs musch
>> > less

It is a very messy nuisance and the print quality is less and the risk of
fading is greater.
>> > 
>> > I've seen ads where you send in your cartridge, and they'll return
>> > someone else's cartridge that they refilled. I was wondering if
>> > companys use HP ink or other ink to bring down the cost. Has anyone
>> > had any problems using these?
>> > 
>> Companies that refill cartridges do not use "Official" HP ink, because
>> HP will not sell it to them. Many refillers use ink that is "universal"
>> and is supposed to work in any printer, but it's best to avoid them
>> because there are subtle differences in color across different printer
>> brands. Other companies use inks that, while not sanctioned by HP, have
>> been developed especially for your HP printer. In general, those will
>> work much better than the universal inks.
>> 
>> The same goes for refilling yourself. As for the procedure, try
>> searching with Google for "HP 56 57 refill instructions" and you should
>> see some links that will direct you to videos showing the whole thing
>> to you. It's not difficult, and not messy with just a bit of practice.
>> I recommend buying a refill "kit" to start with, then bulk ink if you
>> wish to continue.
>> 
>> One warning: I have had uneven results with buying refilled or
>> "remanufactured" HP 56 and 57 cartridges, the tricolor cart especially.
>> While the refillers are supposed to be cleaning and checking the
>> cartridges before they refill them, some are better at it than others.
>> The last supplier I tried started off well, but fell off later. Now, I
>> buy expired genuine HP carts on Ebay. Only one so far, but so far, so
>> good.
>> 
>> TJ
> Thank you! so very much for your fine and experienced information. I've
> done the Google search and found 57,900 hits! Are there any places that
> you know of that advertise that they have developed equivalent HP ink?
>
0
measekite
6/12/2009 5:41:22 AM
Dowop wrote:
> In article <edKdnemimuhPjqzXnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d@bresnan.com>, WW
> <ccco@nospambresnan.net> wrote:
> 
>> I use MR INK. Buy it in pint size. Buy a starter kit first. That has 
>> instructions and syringes. Be sure to specify HP printer. WW 
>>
>>
> Thank you!
> 
If you don't print much, a pint is a LOT of ink to use up. Four ounces 
of each might be better.

When I started refilling my own 56 and 57 carts, I bought Inktec refill 
kits. They come with a cart holder, syringes, needles, ink enough to 
refill 2-3 times, and printed instructions. The company I originally 
bought my kit from has become a victim of the economy, so there's no 
point in recommending it. However, I'm sure you can find a refill kit by 
using Google.

One of the best things you can do to make refilling a success is to try 
to refill BEFORE any of the colors run out. If you continue printing 
very long after the ink has run out, you risk damage to the printhead 
part of the cartridge.

TJ
0
TJ
6/12/2009 2:58:08 PM
In article <h0tqmi$jjs$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
<TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Dowop wrote:
> > In article <edKdnemimuhPjqzXnZ2dnUVZ_umdnZ2d@bresnan.com>, WW
> > <ccco@nospambresnan.net> wrote:
> > 
> >> I use MR INK. Buy it in pint size. Buy a starter kit first. That has 
> >> instructions and syringes. Be sure to specify HP printer. WW 
> >>
> >>
> > Thank you!
> > 
> If you don't print much, a pint is a LOT of ink to use up. Four ounces 
> of each might be better.
> 
> When I started refilling my own 56 and 57 carts, I bought Inktec refill 
> kits. They come with a cart holder, syringes, needles, ink enough to 
> refill 2-3 times, and printed instructions. The company I originally 
> bought my kit from has become a victim of the economy, so there's no 
> point in recommending it. However, I'm sure you can find a refill kit by 
> using Google.
> 
> One of the best things you can do to make refilling a success is to try 
> to refill BEFORE any of the colors run out. If you continue printing 
> very long after the ink has run out, you risk damage to the printhead 
> part of the cartridge.
> 
> TJ
Very important points I did know. Thank you.

-- 
dowop
0
Dowop
6/13/2009 1:18:32 PM
In article <6UlYl.19070$%54.895@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>, measekite
<inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 08:03:57 -0400, Dowop wrote:
> 
> > In article <h0pjul$f75$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
> > <TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > 
> >> Dowop wrote:
> >> > I went to bizco.com.au and could only find bulk for my HP. Perhaps I'm
> >> > missing something. My HP57 is 3 inks in one unit. I did not see this
> >> > also. I will contact the company and find out. 
> >> > 
> >> > I did not realize that I could refill myself. How messy would somethig
> >> > like this be?  I assume that the savings of doing myself is costs musch
> >> > less
> 
> It is a very messy nuisance and the print quality is less and the risk of
> fading is greater.
This is what I thought about being messy. Also the print quality. 
thanks for your information.
> >> > 
> >> > I've seen ads where you send in your cartridge, and they'll return
> >> > someone else's cartridge that they refilled. I was wondering if
> >> > companys use HP ink or other ink to bring down the cost. Has anyone
> >> > had any problems using these?
> >> > 
> >> Companies that refill cartridges do not use "Official" HP ink, because
> >> HP will not sell it to them. Many refillers use ink that is "universal"
> >> and is supposed to work in any printer, but it's best to avoid them
> >> because there are subtle differences in color across different printer
> >> brands. Other companies use inks that, while not sanctioned by HP, have
> >> been developed especially for your HP printer. In general, those will
> >> work much better than the universal inks.
> >> 
> >> The same goes for refilling yourself. As for the procedure, try
> >> searching with Google for "HP 56 57 refill instructions" and you should
> >> see some links that will direct you to videos showing the whole thing
> >> to you. It's not difficult, and not messy with just a bit of practice.
> >> I recommend buying a refill "kit" to start with, then bulk ink if you
> >> wish to continue.
> >> 
> >> One warning: I have had uneven results with buying refilled or
> >> "remanufactured" HP 56 and 57 cartridges, the tricolor cart especially.
> >> While the refillers are supposed to be cleaning and checking the
> >> cartridges before they refill them, some are better at it than others.
> >> The last supplier I tried started off well, but fell off later. Now, I
> >> buy expired genuine HP carts on Ebay. Only one so far, but so far, so
> >> good.
> >> 
> >> TJ
> > Thank you! so very much for your fine and experienced information. I've
> > done the Google search and found 57,900 hits! Are there any places that
> > you know of that advertise that they have developed equivalent HP ink?
> >

-- 
dowop
0
Dowop
6/13/2009 1:27:05 PM
Dowop wrote:
> In article <6UlYl.19070$%54.895@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>, measekite
> <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:

>> It is a very messy nuisance and the print quality is less and the risk of
>> fading is greater.
> This is what I thought about being messy. Also the print quality. 
> thanks for your information.

Be aware that Measekite has zero experience with refilling HP 
cartridges, and in using aftermarket inks. It is true that some 
aftermarket inks have been tested by various agencies against OEM, and 
have been found to fade more quickly under adverse conditions. However, 
I don't know of any tests that pitted aftermarket ink from 
higher-quality sources against OEM. Also, if you keep your photo prints 
out of the light or under glass, they will last MUCH longer. Office-type 
prints that are stored in filing cabinets should last as long as the 
paper does.

As for the "mess," well, a lot depends on how much of a klutz you are. 
If you can't put jam on your toast in the morning without dropping it, 
refilling is not for you. If you don't dare eat soup without a bib, 
refilling is not for you. But for most of us, a bit of care eliminates 
any "mess."

TJ
0
TJ
6/14/2009 2:04:53 AM
In article <h11m4n$he3$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
<TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:

> Dowop wrote:
> > In article <6UlYl.19070$%54.895@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>, measekite
> > <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
> 
> >> It is a very messy nuisance and the print quality is less and the risk of
> >> fading is greater.
> > This is what I thought about being messy. Also the print quality. 
> > thanks for your information.
> 
> Be aware that Measekite has zero experience with refilling HP 
> cartridges, and in using aftermarket inks. It is true that some 
> aftermarket inks have been tested by various agencies against OEM, and 
> have been found to fade more quickly under adverse conditions. However, 
> I don't know of any tests that pitted aftermarket ink from 
> higher-quality sources against OEM. Also, if you keep your photo prints 
> out of the light or under glass, they will last MUCH longer. Office-type 
> prints that are stored in filing cabinets should last as long as the 
> paper does.
> 
> As for the "mess," well, a lot depends on how much of a klutz you are. 
> If you can't put jam on your toast in the morning without dropping it, 
> refilling is not for you. If you don't dare eat soup without a bib, 
> refilling is not for you. But for most of us, a bit of care eliminates 
> any "mess."
> 
> TJ
thanks for the info on storing photos. I didn't realize this.  I also
had to smile as I was reading your info. Of course, if your're  a
klutz, this is not for you.

-- 
dowop
0
Dowop
6/14/2009 4:54:15 PM
Let me second a caveat regarding the person on this forum who is known 
as either Measekite or inkystinky.

His "information" is heavily biased against refilling or any type, in 
spite of his never having (admitted to have) used 3rd party or bulk 
inks, or to refill cartridges.  He uses one or two Canon printers only 
with OEM inks, and does not have the experience or knowledge base to be 
making his blanket statements.

There are many people who are completely independent of any ink supplier 
who have used 3rd party inks for many years, saving hundreds and even 
thousands of dollars.  They will tell you there are both good and bad 
3rd party ink vendors and can probably suggest good sources.

Although bad ink may cause your printer's head to clog temporarily,  it 
very very rarely causes any permanent damage.  The issue really comes 
down to if your time and effort is worth the savings, and for each of us 
it will be different.  If you have a lot of money accessible, and your 
time is very valuable, you may not be able to justify refilling.  If you 
make a great deal of money and profit on your prints, again it may not 
be worth your while.  Then again, some inks offered by 3rd party 
manufacturers or distributors can actually be of better quality than the 
printer manufacturer's inks (OEM), and which may be why some people do 
not use OEM inks.

What is absolutely true is that the majority of the profit computer 
printer manufacturers make is from ink/toner and papers, not the 
printers, which are often sold a a minor percentage above cost.

With laser printers (black and even more-so color), almost all now come 
with partially filled cartridges, and the cost to replace the cartridges 
is more than the cost of the printer with the so-called "starter" 
cartridges.

Do some research to determine cost of refills, how involved it is and 
how much it will save you and make you own decision if it works for you.

If your HP printer uses "incorporated heads in the cartridge (I believe 
the 56 and 57 are these types) the heads will eventually fail.  You may 
get between 3 and 20 refills, depending upon the head.  On average 
probably 8-10 refills before the head begins to degrade or fails completely.


Art



If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
   I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

       http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/

Dowop wrote:
> In article <h11m4n$he3$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
> <TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> 
>> Dowop wrote:
>>> In article <6UlYl.19070$%54.895@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>, measekite
>>> <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
>>>> It is a very messy nuisance and the print quality is less and the risk of
>>>> fading is greater.
>>> This is what I thought about being messy. Also the print quality. 
>>> thanks for your information.
>> Be aware that Measekite has zero experience with refilling HP 
>> cartridges, and in using aftermarket inks. It is true that some 
>> aftermarket inks have been tested by various agencies against OEM, and 
>> have been found to fade more quickly under adverse conditions. However, 
>> I don't know of any tests that pitted aftermarket ink from 
>> higher-quality sources against OEM. Also, if you keep your photo prints 
>> out of the light or under glass, they will last MUCH longer. Office-type 
>> prints that are stored in filing cabinets should last as long as the 
>> paper does.
>>
>> As for the "mess," well, a lot depends on how much of a klutz you are. 
>> If you can't put jam on your toast in the morning without dropping it, 
>> refilling is not for you. If you don't dare eat soup without a bib, 
>> refilling is not for you. But for most of us, a bit of care eliminates 
>> any "mess."
>>
>> TJ
> thanks for the info on storing photos. I didn't realize this.  I also
> had to smile as I was reading your info. Of course, if your're  a
> klutz, this is not for you.
> 
0
Arthur
6/15/2009 1:55:43 AM
Thank you for your very throughtful information and advice. FYI, I do
have the time to do the refills, thus my looking into this area.

In article <wShZl.34546$VL5.20452@newsfe22.iad>, Arthur Entlich
<e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

> Let me second a caveat regarding the person on this forum who is known 
> as either Measekite or inkystinky.
> 
> His "information" is heavily biased against refilling or any type, in 
> spite of his never having (admitted to have) used 3rd party or bulk 
> inks, or to refill cartridges.  He uses one or two Canon printers only 
> with OEM inks, and does not have the experience or knowledge base to be 
> making his blanket statements.
> 
> There are many people who are completely independent of any ink supplier 
> who have used 3rd party inks for many years, saving hundreds and even 
> thousands of dollars.  They will tell you there are both good and bad 
> 3rd party ink vendors and can probably suggest good sources.
> 
> Although bad ink may cause your printer's head to clog temporarily,  it 
> very very rarely causes any permanent damage.  The issue really comes 
> down to if your time and effort is worth the savings, and for each of us 
> it will be different.  If you have a lot of money accessible, and your 
> time is very valuable, you may not be able to justify refilling.  If you 
> make a great deal of money and profit on your prints, again it may not 
> be worth your while.  Then again, some inks offered by 3rd party 
> manufacturers or distributors can actually be of better quality than the 
> printer manufacturer's inks (OEM), and which may be why some people do 
> not use OEM inks.
> 
> What is absolutely true is that the majority of the profit computer 
> printer manufacturers make is from ink/toner and papers, not the 
> printers, which are often sold a a minor percentage above cost.
> 
> With laser printers (black and even more-so color), almost all now come 
> with partially filled cartridges, and the cost to replace the cartridges 
> is more than the cost of the printer with the so-called "starter" 
> cartridges.
> 
> Do some research to determine cost of refills, how involved it is and 
> how much it will save you and make you own decision if it works for you.
> 
> If your HP printer uses "incorporated heads in the cartridge (I believe 
> the 56 and 57 are these types) the heads will eventually fail.  You may 
> get between 3 and 20 refills, depending upon the head.  On average 
> probably 8-10 refills before the head begins to degrade or fails completely.
> 
> 
> Art
> 
> 
> 
> If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
>    I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:
> 
>        http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/
> 
> Dowop wrote:
> > In article <h11m4n$he3$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
> > <TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> > 
> >> Dowop wrote:
> >>> In article <6UlYl.19070$%54.895@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>, measekite
> >>> <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
> >>>> It is a very messy nuisance and the print quality is less and the risk of
> >>>> fading is greater.
> >>> This is what I thought about being messy. Also the print quality. 
> >>> thanks for your information.
> >> Be aware that Measekite has zero experience with refilling HP 
> >> cartridges, and in using aftermarket inks. It is true that some 
> >> aftermarket inks have been tested by various agencies against OEM, and 
> >> have been found to fade more quickly under adverse conditions. However, 
> >> I don't know of any tests that pitted aftermarket ink from 
> >> higher-quality sources against OEM. Also, if you keep your photo prints 
> >> out of the light or under glass, they will last MUCH longer. Office-type 
> >> prints that are stored in filing cabinets should last as long as the 
> >> paper does.
> >>
> >> As for the "mess," well, a lot depends on how much of a klutz you are. 
> >> If you can't put jam on your toast in the morning without dropping it, 
> >> refilling is not for you. If you don't dare eat soup without a bib, 
> >> refilling is not for you. But for most of us, a bit of care eliminates 
> >> any "mess."
> >>
> >> TJ
> > thanks for the info on storing photos. I didn't realize this.  I also
> > had to smile as I was reading your info. Of course, if your're  a
> > klutz, this is not for you.
> >

-- 
dowop
0
Dowop
6/16/2009 12:59:02 PM
On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:04:53 -0400, TJ wrote:

> Dowop wrote:
>> In article <6UlYl.19070$%54.895@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>, measekite
>> <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
> 
>>> It is a very messy nuisance and the print quality is less and the risk of
>>> fading is greater.
>> This is what I thought about being messy. Also the print quality. 
>> thanks for your information.
> 
> Be aware that Measekite has zero experience with refilling HP 
> cartridges, and in using aftermarket inks. It is true that some 
> aftermarket inks have been tested by various agencies against OEM, and 
> have been found to fade more quickly under adverse conditions. However, 
> I don't know of any tests that pitted aftermarket ink from 
> higher-quality sources against OEM. Also, if you keep your photo prints 
> out of the light or under glass, they will last MUCH longer. Office-type 
> prints that are stored in filing cabinets should last as long as the 
> paper does.
> 
> As for the "mess," well, a lot depends on how much of a klutz you are. 
> If you can't put jam on your toast in the morning without dropping it, 
> refilling is not for you. If you don't dare eat soup without a bib, 
> refilling is not for you. But for most of us, a bit of care eliminates 
> any "mess."
> 
> TJ

He forgot to say to you that the vast majority of what he prints are throw
away flyers where quality is totally unimportant.
0
measekite
6/17/2009 3:17:58 AM
On Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:55:43 -0700, Arthur Entlich wrote:

> Let me second a caveat regarding the person on this forum who is known 
> as either Measekite or inkystinky.
> 
> His "information" is heavily biased against refilling or any type, in 
> spite of his never having (admitted to have) used 3rd party or bulk 
> inks, or to refill cartridges.  He uses one or two Canon printers only 
> with OEM inks, and does not have the experience or knowledge base to be 
> making his blanket statements

To show you that this top posting pious know it all knows is that I also
have an HP990Cse and I use HP ink there.  I use my Canon mostly for
photos..
> 
> There are many people who are completely independent of any ink supplier
> who have used 3rd party inks for many years, saving hundreds and even
> thousands of dollars.  They will tell you there are both good and bad
> 3rd party ink vendors and can probably suggest good sources.

There are many pretenders who post in this ng who either own or are
employed by many of the fly by nite ink sellers.  Many of them have
multiple websites and sell the same crap under different names.  One major
one went out of business.

> 
> Although bad ink may cause your printer's head to clog temporarily,  it
> very very rarely causes any permanent damage.  The issue really comes

That is a lie.

> down to if your time and effort is worth the savings, and for each of us
> it will be different.  If you have a lot of money accessible, and your
> time is very valuable, you may not be able to justify refilling.  If you
> make a great deal of money and profit on your prints, again it may not
> be worth your while.  Then again, some inks offered by 3rd party

I do not sell my prints but I do pay a little more for better quality and
less aggravation.

> manufacturers or distributors can actually be of better
quality than the
> printer manufacturer's inks (OEM), and which may be why some people do
> not use OEM inks.
> 
> What is absolutely true is that the majority of the profit computer
> printer manufacturers make is from ink/toner and papers, not the
> printers, which are often sold a a minor percentage above cost.
> 
> With laser printers (black and even more-so color), almost all now come
> with partially filled cartridges, and the cost to replace the cartridges
> is more than the cost of the printer with the so-called "starter"
> cartridges.

Laser is for business and not for photos.
> 
> Do some research to determine cost of refills, how involved it is and
> how much it will save you and make you own decision if it works for you.
> 
> If your HP printer uses "incorporated heads in the cartridge (I believe
> the 56 and 57 are these types) the heads will eventually fail.  You may
> get between 3 and 20 refills, depending upon the head.  On average
> probably 8-10 refills before the head begins to degrade or fails
> completely.
> 
> 
> Art
> 
> 
> 
> If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
>    I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:
> 
>        http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/
> 
> Dowop wrote:
>> In article <h11m4n$he3$1@news.eternal-september.org>, TJ
>> <TJ@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> 
>>> Dowop wrote:
>>>> In article <6UlYl.19070$%54.895@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>, measekite
>>>> <inkystinky@oem.com> wrote:
>>>>> It is a very messy nuisance and the print quality is less and the
>>>>> risk of fading is greater.
>>>> This is what I thought about being messy. Also the print quality.
>>>> thanks for your information.
>>> Be aware that Measekite has zero experience with refilling HP
>>> cartridges, and in using aftermarket inks. It is true that some
>>> aftermarket inks have been tested by various agencies against OEM, and
>>> have been found to fade more quickly under adverse conditions.
>>> However, I don't know of any tests that pitted aftermarket ink from
>>> higher-quality sources against OEM. Also, if you keep your photo
>>> prints out of the light or under glass, they will last MUCH longer.
>>> Office-type prints that are stored in filing cabinets should last as
>>> long as the paper does.
>>>
>>> As for the "mess," well, a lot depends on how much of a klutz you are.
>>> If you can't put jam on your toast in the morning without dropping it,
>>> refilling is not for you. If you don't dare eat soup without a bib,
>>> refilling is not for you. But for most of us, a bit of care eliminates
>>> any "mess."
>>>
>>> TJ
>> thanks for the info on storing photos. I didn't realize this.  I also
>> had to smile as I was reading your info. Of course, if your're  a
>> klutz, this is not for you.
>>
0
measekite
6/17/2009 3:23:54 AM
measekite wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:04:53 -0400, TJ wrote:

>> As for the "mess," well, a lot depends on how much of a klutz you are. 
>> If you can't put jam on your toast in the morning without dropping it, 
>> refilling is not for you. If you don't dare eat soup without a bib, 
>> refilling is not for you. But for most of us, a bit of care eliminates 
>> any "mess."
>>
>> TJ
> 
> He forgot to say to you that the vast majority of what he prints are throw
> away flyers where quality is totally unimportant.

I didn't say that because it's not true. While a lot of what I print is 
those throw-aways, it is not the "vast majority." It's probably, oh, 
35%. Another 35% or so would be office-type stuff, including tax forms, 
spreadsheet financial and other bookkeeping documents, word processor 
documents, photocopies, reports for the government, and farm maps for 
reporting and planning purposes. The rest would be web pages, hard 
copies of various downloaded manuals, the occasional glossy photo, plain 
paper photo prints not meant to be archived, and driving directions from 
Google now and then.

And by the way, it's now been 5 1/2 years, and I'm still waiting for the 
first glossy photo that I printed with aftermarket ink to show signs of 
fading. It's been hanging on my mother's bedroom wall all that time, 
under glass, and looks as good now to me as it did the day I printed it.

TJ
0
TJ
6/18/2009 9:15:52 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Printer Ink
Printer Ink - Pictures and Diagrams of Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill - Hi, I am working on a new Website, www.Printer-Ink.biz, for information on Printer Ink, Printer Ink Cartridge, and Printer Ink Refill. I already have some information about Printer Ink on the website - www.Printer-Ink.biz; what I am looking for is pictures and diagrams of how printer ink, printer ink cartridge and printer ink refill work for the www.Printer-ink.biz website. Specifically, I am looking for good pictures of printer ink, printer ink cartridge, or printer refi...

Any *good* printer drivers for HP Photosmart 7550 Photo printer?
I'm not picky,...really! All I want is a printer driver that will allow me to print up a standard 8.5"x11" page with 3, 5, however many pictures at one shot. I have to print one picture, put it back into the paper tray, and hope that in the next few attempts I won't print over another picture. There should at least be software that will provide the option to show the last few prints where they were on the page. SOFTWARE PROGRAMERS...here's an overlooked oportunity to make money...this is definately needed. Type in the preferred size of a picture and how man...

Any *good* printer drivers for HP Photosmart 7550 Photo printer? #2
I'm not picky,...really! All I want is a printer driver that will allow me to print up a standard 8.5"x11" page with 3, 5, however many pictures at one shot. I have to print one picture, put it back into the paper tray, and hope that in the next few attempts I won't print over another picture. There should at least be software that will provide the option to show the last few prints where they were on the page. SOFTWARE PROGRAMERS...here's an overlooked opportunity to make money...this is definitely needed. Type in the preferred size of a picture and how ma...

FS: CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)
Posted on Ebay, item# 330331170291. Goto www.ebay.com & enter this item# 330331170291 into search window (or item# window); BUY NOW OPTION is AVAILABLE, i.e. NO need to wait for Auction ending. Do NOT reply on Newsgroups (I just posted here, but may not read) - instead contact via Ebay (best) or Email; if you insist on emailing and see "NOJUNK" strings in my address (or something to that effect) - REMOVE THEM before hitting send! (these are sometimes added to prevent SPAM, i.e. people who "harvest" addresses off Newsgroups). My Ebay feedback is 100% positive...

FS: PORTABLE CANON (GENUINE, NEW/not used)
Posted on Ebay, item# 330331170291. Goto www.ebay.com & enter this item# 330331170291 into search window (or item# window); BUY NOW OPTION is AVAILABLE, i.e. NO need to wait for Auction ending. Do NOT reply on Newsgroups (I just posted here, but will NOT read) - instead contact via Ebay (best) or Email. My Ebay feedback is 100% positive, not to mention 13 YEARS of Newsgroups trading without complains, and it's best to deal via Ebay though will respond to regular email also. Please read description there, but a few facts are copied here: 1) NEW (sealed) Canon cartridges for their p...

Any *good* printer drivers for the HP Photosmart 7550 photo printer in the MAC format?
I'm not picky,...really! All I want is a printer driver that will allow me to print up a standard 8.5"x11" page with 3, 5...however many pictures at one shot. I am using a PowerMac G4 (Macintosh). I have to print one picture, put it back into the paper tray, and hope that in the next few attempts I won't print over another picture. There should at least be software that will provide the option to show the last few prints where they were on the page. HEY, MAC SOFTWARE PROGRAMERS...here's an overlooked oportunity to make money...this is definately needed! ...

Printer addendum for HP printer
I need a postscript printer addendum for HP printer. I want to add staple commands in postscript file that is to be printed on HP 8150. In article <57a6ecd34f060417a6e59c1076434888@localhost.talkaboutprogramming.com>, Needo <mnmateen@yahoo.com> wrote: >I need a postscript printer addendum for HP printer. >I want to add staple commands in postscript file that is to be printed on >HP 8150. So look in the PPD for that printer for the corrrect incantation. -- -- Rod -- rodd(at)polylogics(dot)com ...

Ink levels in hp printer 5650 refilled 56 cartriges
I have the hp inkjet 5650 printer. The black cartridge is a hp 56. I have refilled it according to the refill manufacturer's instructions, including removing the top label over the fill holes. The printer and cartridge work fine, but the printer assistant from hp tells me the cartridge is not inserted correctly or that I need a new cartridge. Also the ink level in the cartridge which has been just refilled is almost empty, which it is not.How do I get the printer assistant to reflect the correct ink level, and why the other message if it is not a shill to buy a new hp 56 cart...

Would someone kindly explain HP Printer WinXP Home shareing syntax (printers & faxes dialog)?
Can someone who knows HP printers on Windows XP Home explain? I am trying to share an old printer across the wireless network. This printer is an HP LaserJet 3200m and it's connected directly to a Windows XP Home desktop PC. All I want to do is share that printer across the home wireless network (Linux and Windows laptops) using a simple name (for Linux especially) of something like "printer". Much to my chagrin, every time I rename my HP 3200m laserprinter in the WinXP home printers-and-faxes dialog box to something normal, like "printer", it keeps...

HP Printer Ink Expiration & Warranty Date Secret Decoder Ring
As far as I can tell from googling like crazy, here are the six HP printer ink relevant dates. Note that most people throw away the ink cartridge upon the first (false) expiration date. Only those who read the google record know that first end-of-service date can be overcome, giving the user an additional year or two of useful service. I post this by way of peer review so that the experts can correct where I make any mistake. 1. Manufacture date = date printed on ink cartridge minus 30 months 2. Installation date = hand written on ink cartridge when first installed 3. Install-by date = manuf...

Is it necessary for both black & color cartridges to have ink with HP 1400 Printer/Scanner
I am a user of HP 1400 Printer cum Scanner which provides two slots for one black and one color cartridge. If the color cartridge has dried up and I am urgently in need of printing out a document in black, can I print in black keeping the exhasted color cartridge in the cradle? Have I to press the Black button on the Printer for starting the print operation? Similarly if the black cartridge has dried up, can I print in color, keeping the exhausted black cartridge in the cradle as a dummy? Have I to press the Color Button on the Printer to start operation? Why doesn't HP provide ...

What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejet d145 printer
What I learned fixing printheads & refilling ink on HP Officejet d145 printer is going to go into this thread. I broke a lot, spilled a lot, cursed a lot, and tried a lot ..... and I just want you to benefit from what I learned so I'll try to put it in this thread. Please feel free to interject what you've learned. The hope is that this thread helps anyone who has an HP officejet d145 printer who wishes to refill seemingly expired ink tanks and resurrect seemingly dead printheads. I'll post pictures and describe the process and reference URLs on the Internet in subsequent po...

Any "good" compatible ink cartridges and/or refills for HP 56, 57, and 58?
I just bought a HP Photosmart 7260, and I was curious about getting quality pigment-based refills for the HP 56, 57, and 58 cartridges OR getting a compatible non-OEM cartridge; as everyone would, I'm sure, I'd like to get quality similar to HP (I know, possibly a stretch, but that's why I'm asking). While I imagine it will be a while (few months) before I need a refill or new cartridge, based on the amount of printing I typically do, and though I'll probably wait to order, I'd like to get kind of a "pre-screening" to see if other folks have had any lu...

HP printer vs. Canon printer
I need to replace my Epson Stylus Photo 825 as one of the print nozzles is permanently clogged! I have been looking at both HP and Canon printers, more specifically HP 7550 & Canon Pixma ip6700. Has anyone had any experience with either printer, good or bad? I need a printer that will do everything from print invoices, newsletters to photos. Photos do not have to be gallery quality, but good enough for a newsletter. Also, in comparison, which brand has better prices on ink? Is one brand of ink better than another (assuming I would use the same brand of paper) in relation t...

Web resources about - Good aftermarket for HP 56 & 57 printer inks? - comp.periphs.printers

Aftermarket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the ...

Buy Domains & Sell Domains on Aftermarket.com
Make a name for yourself on Aftermarket.com. Search our premier online marketplace for quality domains

Verizon unveils aftermarket vehicle diagnostics service
Verizon today announced a new aftermarket vehicle diagnostics and roadside assistance service that works by plugging a dongle into any car's ...

Q&A: Aftermarket seatbelts
IS there an aftermarket seatbelt that would fit my Mazda MPV.

Open Automotive Alliance partners new & old confirm Android Auto support, aftermarket solutions
Following Google’s unveiling of its new Android Auto connected car platform, a long list of both new and old members of the Open Automotive Alliance ...

Car electronics manufacturer Alpine to sell aftermarket CarPlay units in the fall
Alpine devices already integrate with the Siri Eyes Free feature of iOS devices. In March, Mercedes-Benz said that it had plans to offer aftermarket ...

GoDaddy Buys Afternic, a Domain-Name Aftermarket Seller
Domain and online services provider GoDaddy said it had acquired Boston-based Afternic, a seller of aftermarket domain names, from NameMedia. ...

OWC to Bring Aftermarket SF3700 PCIe SSD Upgrades to 2013 Macs
... surprised to drop by OWC's booth at CES to see a mechanical sample of its forthcoming LSI SF3700 based PCIe SSD. OWC plans on offering aftermarket ...

Pioneer Demos Apple CarPlay For The Aftermarket
In April , Pioneer became the first company to announce it would bring Apple CarPlay to the aftermarket. This week, the first demos of Pioneers ...

Pioneer aftermarket car stereos & Spotify both add support for Apple's CarPlay
Though it arrived later than expected, Pioneer on Thursday supplied updates for its existing NEX lineup of car stereos to support Apple's CarPlay. ...

Resources last updated: 2/2/2016 12:01:40 PM