HELP: Can printer switch box cause printers to print garbage?

Hey folks,
I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!
0
zcarenow

Why didn't you try replacing the switch?  That is the only thing in common
with all of these failures.
Jim
"Zylan" <zcarenow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
> I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
> box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
> print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
> print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
> characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
> thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
> i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
> printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
> have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
> doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
> settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

0
Jim
2/12/2004 12:54:41 AM
zcarenow@yahoo.com (Zylan) wrote in message news:<447f7d3e.0402111554.16d04cbc@posting.google.com>...
> I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
> box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
> print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
> print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
> characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
> thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
> i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
> printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
> have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
> doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
> settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

Easy to test the box: swap the printers.

Are these on parallel ports? You can get a PCI parallel port card for
less tha $20 and have the printers both conected directly to the PC on
lpt1: and lpt2:, and just select in software. USB even easier. (If
it's an old computer, ISA parallel cards are even cheaper.)
0
7ibehx001
2/12/2004 3:33:28 AM
On 11 Feb 2004 15:54:16 -0800, zcarenow@yahoo.com (Zylan) wrote:

>Hey folks,
>I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
>box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
>print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
>print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
>characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
>thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
>i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
>printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
>have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
>doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
>settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

This may sound like a dumb question, but it has to be asked. When your
customer attempts to print to Printer B, does he pick that printer in
the software first or does he just assume that by using the manual
switch, it somehow miraculously picks the correct driver for the
printer?  Switch boxes are very simple devices and very rarely cause
problems by themselves and they certainly won't cause a printer to
print garbage.

Frank
0
magpie
2/12/2004 7:16:20 AM
 I'm sure the printer talks to the computer when they are first turned
on - during the boot process.   So the switch will definitely cause a
problem.  You need to keep the printer on whatever port it boots on.
Just add another printer port or upgrade to USB printer.
PJ

On 11 Feb 2004 15:54:16 -0800, zcarenow@yahoo.com (Zylan) wrote:

>Hey folks,
>I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
>box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
>print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
>print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
>characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
>thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
>i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
>printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
>have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
>doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
>settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

0
PJx
2/12/2004 2:51:29 PM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:51:29 -0600, PJx <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I'm sure the printer talks to the computer when they are first turned
>on - during the boot process.   So the switch will definitely cause a
>problem

Not necessarily.
I have 3 printers connected to a **very** cheap switch box.
No problem whatsoever.
A problem will occur if some dummy thinks that he/she only has to turn the
switch. Dummy has to change printer with Control Panel/Printers otherwise
printed garbage in guaranteed.
But then it's a case of PBKAC (problem between keyboard and chair)
0
Malev
2/12/2004 3:28:45 PM
In article <k9AWb.21383$ey4.11310@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>, Jim
<j.n@nospam.com> writes
>Why didn't you try replacing the switch?  That is the only thing in common
>with all of these failures.
>Jim

Before doing that, what happens if printer B is connected directly to
the computer, bypassing the switch?

--
Tom
0
"Zylan" <zcarenow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
> I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
> box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
> print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
> print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
> characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
> thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
> i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
> printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
> have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
> doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
> settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

0
reid
2/12/2004 9:30:50 PM
These are on parallel ports on switch box. Main port goes to computer
parallel port, port A goes to Printer A, port B goes to Printer B.
BTw, i did switch port A and B with the printers. Still same problem.

> Easy to test the box: swap the printers.
>
> Are these on parallel ports? You can get a PCI parallel port card for
> less tha $20 and have the printers both conected directly to the PC on
> lpt1: and lpt2:, and just select in software. USB even easier. (If
> it's an old computer, ISA parallel cards are even cheaper.)
0
zcarenow
2/12/2004 11:37:58 PM
When customer wants to print, he first turns the manual switch knob to
the designated printer(either A or B), then selects the correct
printer in the software to print. Actually, the printer on B is
printing garbage. The other printer keeps popping up the message
"paper jam" eventhough no paper jams occur. That issue is more like a
sensor issue, so i don't think it has to do with switch.
magpie@shinythings.com wrote in message > This may sound like a dumb question, but it has to be asked. When your
> customer attempts to print to Printer B, does he pick that printer in
> the software first or does he just assume that by using the manual
> switch, it somehow miraculously picks the correct driver for the
> printer?  Switch boxes are very simple devices and very rarely cause
> problems by themselves and they certainly won't cause a printer to
> print garbage.
>
> Frank
0
zcarenow
2/12/2004 11:41:19 PM
  Could this be  from not making the printer you are trying to use the
default printer???   Mine did that when I would forget to  change the
default printer

0
NCHA
2/12/2004 11:52:03 PM
PJx <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<va4n209nojeo1bgcarts1653656vfi3cm4@4ax.com>...
> I'm sure the printer talks to the computer when they are first turned
> on - during the boot process.   So the switch will definitely cause a
> problem.  You need to keep the printer on whatever port it boots on.
> Just add another printer port or upgrade to USB printer.
> PJ

No, that's not true. I leave my printer off most of the time. I switch
it on start printing without any problems. I had a laser that would
overheat if left on for too long so was constantly turning it on and
off; but never had any "garbage print" problems. (All using a parallel
port.)
0
7ibehx001
2/13/2004 12:29:58 AM
This was going to be my next option, but i don't have another one at
this time to replace it. Thanks.
"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<k9AWb.21383$ey4.11310@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>...
> Why didn't you try replacing the switch?  That is the only thing in common
> with all of these failures.
> Jim
> "
0
zcarenow
2/13/2004 3:45:19 AM
In article <mg6n20l8lsmt8s5irqmigqen4pei1ckait@4ax.com>, Malev
<malev@nyc.rr.com> writes
>On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:51:29 -0600, PJx <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>> I'm sure the printer talks to the computer when they are first turned
>>on - during the boot process.   So the switch will definitely cause a
>>problem
>
>Not necessarily.
>I have 3 printers connected to a **very** cheap switch box.
>No problem whatsoever.
>A problem will occur if some dummy thinks that he/she only has to turn the
>switch. Dummy has to change printer with Control Panel/Printers otherwise
>printed garbage in guaranteed.
>But then it's a case of PBKAC (problem between keyboard and chair)

I used to have this system and would generate rubbish from time to time,
I had a parallel switch box[1] plugged into printer 1 and a scanner, the
scanner had a throughput parallel port for printer 2. Strangely enough
the scanner wouldn't work unless printer to was turned on!

I now have main printer on usb secondary one on parallel.

[1] For a while I also had a serial switch box as well for two different
digital cameras that had different cables.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
0

>I used to have this system and would generate rubbish from time to time,
>I had a parallel switch box[1] plugged into printer 1 and a scanner, the
>scanner had a throughput parallel port for printer 2. Strangely enough
>the scanner wouldn't work unless printer to was turned on!

Talking to myself, nth sign of madness, I only had the rubbish
generation problem due to user error, ie: I forgot to change the switch
over.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
0
Timothy
2/13/2004 1:48:45 PM
That's one reason why the printer manufacturers don't like the switchboxes.
My suggestion: power off both printers before flipping the switch.

--

Jerry Schwartz
FidoNet 1:142/928

"Zylan" <zcarenow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
> I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
> box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
> print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
> print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
> characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
> thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
> i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
> printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
> have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
> doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
> settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

0
Jerry

How can I send a print to a different printer than the default printer?
I want to send my print to a different printer than the default printer. The only argument i have is the 'cDevice'. Is it possible to do that ? Regards George Hi George, try this: FUNCTION SetDefaultPrinter(cPrinter AS STRING) AS LOGIC // Set the given printer to be the default printer // cPrinter: name of printer to be made default // returns: whether successful LOCAL hPrinter AS PTR LOCAL pInfo AS _WinPrinter_Info_2 LOCAL size AS DWORD LOCAL done AS LOGIC IF OpenPrinter(String2Psz(cPrinter), @hPrinter, NULL_PTR) GetPrinter(hPrinter, 2, NULL_PTR, 0, @size)...

ATTAC "On the Fly printing" printing to default printer regardless of printer choice in dialog box.
Our application has used this PrintersClass module for some time without a problem but some new Toughbooks have caused problems. We use laser printers, usually the default choice, and some label printers. The label printers use the Seagull Scientific print drivers. The new notebooks will not print to the selected label printers even though the default printer for the report comes up in the dialog box as the selected printer. Even if you redundantly select this label printer again, before selecting print, you get the label printed to the user profile's default printer instead of the selecte...

Printer Ink

Can't set up the HP Printer on DSL Box on the Shared Printer port...
Hi Group, Maybe wrong group, but there seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. I feel a bit of a berk that I can't repeat on my own machine but I did on the girlfriends! We have a Draytek Wireless G router and it's got a USB port on the back to enable 'network printing'. We've both got Windows XP and I'm going bonkers. The driver is installed on my machine, and the IP of the router is 192.168.1.1 (which is the printer). I've added a TCP\IP port in the Ports Tab, and ticked it. When I unplug the printer locally from the USB and plonk it in the router, the pri...

!Printers: How do I open Printer:$ ?

Queue of printer cycles, but printer does not print
Hi, we have two printers in our network, both connected to a different computer. When installed, they worked well, but now and then they refuse to print and they show a strange bahaviour. When looking in the Queue (Spooler), the print jobs are cycling. So, the first becomes the last while the second becomes the first, thirt becomes second, etc When we restart the computer, the printer starts printing, just befor shutdown. We Run XP-pro. Any ideas????? Thanks, Ben By the way, it is an old panasonic matrix printer (used for labels) and a HP officejet HP 1170c, bot...

IE - Print to Default Printer
Hello, I have an .asp page that needs to print multiple, seperate text documents to 1 printer. That one printer could be any printer based on the user. I aldready have the hDC (Device Context) of their desired printer on a previous page. I simply want to do the Window.print or some other method to print these documents without having the Print Dialog box display forceing the user to select the same printer over and over again. This can be in either JavaScript or VBScript for all I care. Heck, even .Net if need-be. I just really need help. TIA, Kevin ...

Can somone help a Windows geek get a Mac to print to a USB printer on a print server???
I'm trying to help my sister and brother-in-law with their mixed marriage! They had a nice Windows home, pc's networked together and he decided he wanted to kill the home PC, get a MAC and have the two of them roam the house in cyber bliss. The problem is the printer - a HP PSC 2210 All-In-One. Since the desktop was PC was removed, I put in a D-Link DP-301U network USB print server. The Windows PC can print fine. The MacBook pro running OS X 10.4.11 can't. Despite the statements that MAS OS is supported all over the D-Link box, I can't get any support from D-Link. ...

necessary to install printer driver for shared printer on computer that is not attached to printer?
We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is it necessary to install the HP drivers on the Win 7 computer in addition to the XP computer? best, Aaron From: <aaronep@pacbell.net> > We have two computers, one has XP OS and the other Win 7 OS. We > have an HP Office Jet All in One Color printer attached to the XP > computer. In order to access the printer from the Win 7 computer, is > it necessary to in...

Help I need a printer driver for cannon S330 printer
Hi I am trying to download a printer driver for my cannon S330 printer and I dont know what I am doing or how to get one. I downloaded a printer driver to my desktop but dont know how to install it from there. Now i think i threw it in the recycle bin. Can anyone help me, I need my printer to work and dont have the disk. It worked fine before my puter crashed and i had to reload backups. any help will be greatly appreciated sincerely mike On 7 Jan 2005 14:26:47 -0800, carstereos89@aol.com wrote: >Hi >I am trying to download a printer driver for my cannon S330 printer and >I dont know what I am doing or how to get one. I downloaded a printer >driver to my desktop but dont know how to install it from there. Now i >think i threw it in the recycle bin. Can anyone help me, I need my >printer to work and dont have the disk. It worked fine before my puter >crashed and i had to reload backups. any help will be greatly >appreciated > >sincerely > >mike Hi Mike, You can obtain a driver from here http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=SupportDetailAct&fcategoryid=231&modelid=6610 The method of installing that I would use is as follows: Download the file to your desktop and as a matter of principle I would right click the 'Setup' icon and run and anti-virus check. Skip that if this is a problem for you - I would trust Canon in this case. Go to the taskbar, bottom right of your s...

A Virtual Printer That Lets You Print Big Posters With ANY Printer
I want to announce a utility program I've published -- free software, GPL, this is not a commercial advertisement (and I don't ask for donations either) -- for the creation of posters . I think it could make it much easier for all kinds of interest groups to communicate their message. Basically, you can create a poster from anything you can print to a single page on your normal printer. The poster can be big -- 5 feet, or more, on a side, if you want. You can use any application to make it. You can grab an image from the internet using your web browser, for example. ...

Can't delete printer from Printers Folder
When I open my Start/Settings/Printer folder and select the printer I need to delete, I get a Spool error and the computer freezes. This happens as soon as I click on the printer icon. I have other printers installed that work fine. But any time I change printers in a program like Word and I scroll past the bad printer I get the spool error and have to restart. Thanks, Patrick Les Moore wrote: > When I open my Start/Settings/Printer folder and select the printer I > need to delete, I get a Spool error and the computer freezes. This > happens as soon as I click on the printer icon. I have other printers > installed that work fine. But any time I change printers in a program > like Word and I scroll past the bad printer I get the spool error and > have to restart. > > Thanks, > Patrick Did you try deleting it in safe mode? On 5 May 2004 08:57:59 -0700, patrick_sdc@hotmail.com (Les Moore) wrote: >When I open my Start/Settings/Printer folder and select the printer I >need to delete, I get a Spool error and the computer freezes. This >happens as soon as I click on the printer icon. I have other printers >installed that work fine. But any time I change printers in a program >like Word and I scroll past the bad printer I get the spool error and >have to restart. > >Thanks, >Patrick Try Control Panel/Add/Remove Hardware. -- Hecate Hecate@newsguy.com veni, vidi, reliqui ...

Can a printer+airport be a "network" printer?
Situation: We have an Airport Extreme, and plugged into it is an HP LaserJet 1300 printer. When we first got it, we had two Mac Powerbooks, and I set up the printer from PB1. With only a bit of twiddling, we got PB2 to use it. So far, so good. But then, one day, it refused to work from PB2. Huh? With a bit more experimenting, we discovered that when we opened the lid of PB1, PB2 could use the printer. When we closed PB1's lid, PB2 lost contact with the printer. Recently, I upgraded a nearby linux box to the latest rev (of knoppix, FWIW). When I started up the CUPS stuff, it discover...

A printer attached to Windows report printer faulted printing
Does anybody knows how to solve this error? The output below is from a printer attached to an Windows Server root@sapunx10 # lpstat -p BAPRIP01 printer BAPRIP01 faulted printing BAPRIP01-0. enabled since Dec 28 11:03 2006. available. Windows NT LPD Server Printer BAPRIP01 Owner Status Jobname Job-Id Size Pages Priority ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- root (10.0. Waiting /etc/apache/httpd-s 1326 9402 0 1 cbpadm (10. Waiting /usr/sap/CBP/D01/da 240...

I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the printer. Is this true?
I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt the printer. Is this true? "Enda80" <fasb80@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a1ec1b40-d0e7-4824-aa7d-c968a5a6a654@z66g2000hsc.googlegroups.com... >I am told that if you take a piece of paper that you printed on, put > it back in the printer, and print on it again, that this will hurt > the > printer. Is this true? I did it once and the printer was so hurt it bawled like a baby for 15 minutes! "Enda80&qu...

printer prints some garbage after clicking on Print....
Ever since one of my kids installed something a couple of years ago, every time I click on the "Print..." selection from the File menu in any program, my printer (it can be any printer, HP OficeJet or Brother HL1040) will feed a new page, then print a few garbage characters. This happens as the Print dialog box appears, before I do anything else. Eventually the page gets ejected, but any printing I want to do has to wait until that happens - the print dialog box works normally other than this spurt of garbage. It happens in any software, from Word to TurboTax to Neato (C...

Help - Printer Jobs Slow to Printer
Greetings! I have two printers connected through a Model F5U224, 4 port Belkin USB 2.0 Hub, to the USB 2.0 port on my PC. Printer 1: HP PSC 1210. Printer 2: Cannon i560s. Recently the HP 1210 has begun to take several minutes for a print job to begin printing. The Cannon i560s has not been affected at all, and all types of print jobs spool up and begin printing immediately. At first I thought it might be related to the recent installation of AV software, but dismissed that idea because the slowdown is only with the HP printer. Compaq Presario S3200NX 2.0 Ghz 512 MB RAM Any / all suggestions and trouble-shooting tips are appreciated! TIA! -- Dave ...

Printer trays.....network printers
Still having a problem here... If I define a Xerox printer with two Ldev nos, with data_intray=1 on one ldev, and data_intray = 4 on the other, I can send interleaved spool files to them and it works beautifully. If I remove data_intray = 4, and try to use setup_file=x.hpenv where x contains <Esc>&l4H (PCL for use lower tray), nothing works, it doesnt even rotate to landscape (understand that part). If I embed the esc sequence in the data at start it works, but thats not a viable solution. In fact if I send the tray value anything from 2 to 5, it uses bottom tray. I want t...

Network Printer help: Use a Shared Printer on a WinXP machine
Hello, I am new to Linux. I have the Slackware flavor installed, version 9.1. I am trying to use a shared printer on a Windows XP machine. I have verified that I can access the machine (ADDIE) through the network with: smb://Addie in Konqueror (Note: THis requires a USername/Password). I do have CUPS installed. I tried adding the printer with the CUPS "Add Printer" method. Below is the infomation I added: <First Page> Name: Addie's Printer Location: //Addie Description: Addie's Printer <Second Page> Device: Unknown Network Device(smb) ...

Phaser printers and LED printers
I have need to purchase, for a small office environment, a printer for color brochures. It needs to handle speeds in the 10-20 pages per minute range and mainly for letter size paper. Target price is $1000-1200. I prefer something other than inkjet printers for this application, and recent color laser printer output I've seen is quite good. There seem to be several models from the major manufacturers available for under a grand, but they seem to cluster around 4 pages per minute in color, which is too slow. We will be printing runs of a few hundred pages at a time, probably...

printer supplies or new printer
I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter feeding a Canon BJC210. I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 I need either ink cartidges for the printer, or a new printer that turbo will recognise. Any suggestion? (PS - sorry I use a Windows for internet and everything else.) "Letmesnapu2" <alan.r.archer@btinternet.com> wrote: > I am running a RiscPC700 (NO strongarm), withComputer Concepts turboprinter > feeding a Canon BJC210. > > I only use it for !HolyBible and !Sibelius6 > > I need either ink cartidges for ...

Printer vs printer vs ...
I have an old HP. If I load a graphic into Mozilla it will print to the HP. If I load a graphic into PMView it will not print. Why? Jim L -- If you think people are out to get you you're paranoid. If you think people are out to get anybody they can what are you? Sir: inkleputDEL@ETEisp.com wrote: > I have an old HP. If I load a graphic into Mozilla it will print to the > HP. If I load a graphic into PMView it will not print. Why? > PMview has a size limitation. Look in the re-size option to see the largest size to which it will convert a picture. In ...

Web resources about - HELP: Can printer switch box cause printers to print garbage? - comp.periphs.printers

App Store - EPSON Printer Finder

9to5Toys Lunch Break: Philips Hue Starter Kit $120, LifeProof FRĒ iPhone 6 Case $30, Brother AirPrint ...
... FRĒ Waterproof iPhone 6 Case in multiple colors: $30 shipped (Reg. $72) Get ready to file your taxes w/ this Brother AirPrint Laser Printer ...

Can you really get a solid all-in-one printer, copier and scanner for just $90?
... Deals team's advice. And in this case, we're going to help you upgrade to the Epson WorkForce WF-3620 WiFi Direct All-in-One Color Inkjet Printer, ...

Mattel unveils ThingMaker, a 3D printer for kids
Toy company hopes to make 3D printing mainstream with a new system designed for children