HELP: Can printer switch box cause printers to print garbage?

Hey folks,
I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!
0
zcarenow

Why didn't you try replacing the switch?  That is the only thing in common
with all of these failures.
Jim
"Zylan" <zcarenow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
> I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
> box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
> print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
> print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
> characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
> thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
> i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
> printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
> have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
> doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
> settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

0
Jim
2/12/2004 12:54:41 AM
zcarenow@yahoo.com (Zylan) wrote in message news:<447f7d3e.0402111554.16d04cbc@posting.google.com>...
> I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
> box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
> print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
> print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
> characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
> thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
> i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
> printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
> have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
> doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
> settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

Easy to test the box: swap the printers.

Are these on parallel ports? You can get a PCI parallel port card for
less tha $20 and have the printers both conected directly to the PC on
lpt1: and lpt2:, and just select in software. USB even easier. (If
it's an old computer, ISA parallel cards are even cheaper.)
0
7ibehx001
2/12/2004 3:33:28 AM
On 11 Feb 2004 15:54:16 -0800, zcarenow@yahoo.com (Zylan) wrote:

>Hey folks,
>I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
>box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
>print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
>print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
>characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
>thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
>i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
>printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
>have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
>doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
>settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

This may sound like a dumb question, but it has to be asked. When your
customer attempts to print to Printer B, does he pick that printer in
the software first or does he just assume that by using the manual
switch, it somehow miraculously picks the correct driver for the
printer?  Switch boxes are very simple devices and very rarely cause
problems by themselves and they certainly won't cause a printer to
print garbage.

Frank
0
magpie
2/12/2004 7:16:20 AM
 I'm sure the printer talks to the computer when they are first turned
on - during the boot process.   So the switch will definitely cause a
problem.  You need to keep the printer on whatever port it boots on.
Just add another printer port or upgrade to USB printer.
PJ

On 11 Feb 2004 15:54:16 -0800, zcarenow@yahoo.com (Zylan) wrote:

>Hey folks,
>I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
>box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
>print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
>print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
>characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
>thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
>i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
>printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
>have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
>doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
>settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

0
PJx
2/12/2004 2:51:29 PM
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:51:29 -0600, PJx <me@privacy.net> wrote:

> I'm sure the printer talks to the computer when they are first turned
>on - during the boot process.   So the switch will definitely cause a
>problem

Not necessarily.
I have 3 printers connected to a **very** cheap switch box.
No problem whatsoever.
A problem will occur if some dummy thinks that he/she only has to turn the
switch. Dummy has to change printer with Control Panel/Printers otherwise
printed garbage in guaranteed.
But then it's a case of PBKAC (problem between keyboard and chair)
0
Malev
2/12/2004 3:28:45 PM
In article <k9AWb.21383$ey4.11310@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>, Jim
<j.n@nospam.com> writes
>Why didn't you try replacing the switch?  That is the only thing in common
>with all of these failures.
>Jim

Before doing that, what happens if printer B is connected directly to
the computer, bypassing the switch?

--
Tom
0
"Zylan" <zcarenow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
> I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
> box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
> print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
> print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
> characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
> thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
> i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
> printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
> have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
> doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
> settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

0
reid
2/12/2004 9:30:50 PM
These are on parallel ports on switch box. Main port goes to computer
parallel port, port A goes to Printer A, port B goes to Printer B.
BTw, i did switch port A and B with the printers. Still same problem.

> Easy to test the box: swap the printers.
>
> Are these on parallel ports? You can get a PCI parallel port card for
> less tha $20 and have the printers both conected directly to the PC on
> lpt1: and lpt2:, and just select in software. USB even easier. (If
> it's an old computer, ISA parallel cards are even cheaper.)
0
zcarenow
2/12/2004 11:37:58 PM
When customer wants to print, he first turns the manual switch knob to
the designated printer(either A or B), then selects the correct
printer in the software to print. Actually, the printer on B is
printing garbage. The other printer keeps popping up the message
"paper jam" eventhough no paper jams occur. That issue is more like a
sensor issue, so i don't think it has to do with switch.
magpie@shinythings.com wrote in message > This may sound like a dumb question, but it has to be asked. When your
> customer attempts to print to Printer B, does he pick that printer in
> the software first or does he just assume that by using the manual
> switch, it somehow miraculously picks the correct driver for the
> printer?  Switch boxes are very simple devices and very rarely cause
> problems by themselves and they certainly won't cause a printer to
> print garbage.
>
> Frank
0
zcarenow
2/12/2004 11:41:19 PM
  Could this be  from not making the printer you are trying to use the
default printer???   Mine did that when I would forget to  change the
default printer

0
NCHA
2/12/2004 11:52:03 PM
PJx <me@privacy.net> wrote in message news:<va4n209nojeo1bgcarts1653656vfi3cm4@4ax.com>...
> I'm sure the printer talks to the computer when they are first turned
> on - during the boot process.   So the switch will definitely cause a
> problem.  You need to keep the printer on whatever port it boots on.
> Just add another printer port or upgrade to USB printer.
> PJ

No, that's not true. I leave my printer off most of the time. I switch
it on start printing without any problems. I had a laser that would
overheat if left on for too long so was constantly turning it on and
off; but never had any "garbage print" problems. (All using a parallel
port.)
0
7ibehx001
2/13/2004 12:29:58 AM
This was going to be my next option, but i don't have another one at
this time to replace it. Thanks.
"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message news:<k9AWb.21383$ey4.11310@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com>...
> Why didn't you try replacing the switch?  That is the only thing in common
> with all of these failures.
> Jim
> "
0
zcarenow
2/13/2004 3:45:19 AM
In article <mg6n20l8lsmt8s5irqmigqen4pei1ckait@4ax.com>, Malev
<malev@nyc.rr.com> writes
>On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 08:51:29 -0600, PJx <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>

>> I'm sure the printer talks to the computer when they are first turned
>>on - during the boot process.   So the switch will definitely cause a
>>problem
>
>Not necessarily.
>I have 3 printers connected to a **very** cheap switch box.
>No problem whatsoever.
>A problem will occur if some dummy thinks that he/she only has to turn the
>switch. Dummy has to change printer with Control Panel/Printers otherwise
>printed garbage in guaranteed.
>But then it's a case of PBKAC (problem between keyboard and chair)

I used to have this system and would generate rubbish from time to time,
I had a parallel switch box[1] plugged into printer 1 and a scanner, the
scanner had a throughput parallel port for printer 2. Strangely enough
the scanner wouldn't work unless printer to was turned on!

I now have main printer on usb secondary one on parallel.

[1] For a while I also had a serial switch box as well for two different
digital cameras that had different cables.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
0

>I used to have this system and would generate rubbish from time to time,
>I had a parallel switch box[1] plugged into printer 1 and a scanner, the
>scanner had a throughput parallel port for printer 2. Strangely enough
>the scanner wouldn't work unless printer to was turned on!

Talking to myself, nth sign of madness, I only had the rubbish
generation problem due to user error, ie: I forgot to change the switch
over.

--
Timothy Lee http://www.wightproperty.com
0
Timothy
2/13/2004 1:48:45 PM
That's one reason why the printer manufacturers don't like the switchboxes.
My suggestion: power off both printers before flipping the switch.

--

Jerry Schwartz
FidoNet 1:142/928

"Zylan" <zcarenow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
> I have a customer who has 2 printers connected to a Belkin Data switch
> box, which in turn is connected to his computer. Whenever he wants to
> print to printer A, he turns the knob on the switch box to A, then
> print. Same for printer B. Printer B seems to spit out garbage
> characters. Previously, he had an older printer(on B) doing the same
> thing on this switch box and i thought the issue was a bad printer. So
> i had him get a new printer, but this still occurs. I re-installed the
> printer driver also, but this still occurs. The other printer doesn't
> have this problem. I am thinking it might be the printer switch box
> doing this. Any opinions? Does it have anything to do with EPP or ECP
> settings in BIOS? BTW, the OS is Windows NT 4.0. Thanks for any help!!

0
Jerry