HP 5150 Won't Print Black!

Hello!

I have an HP 5150 inkjet, and it really worked nicely for the first few
months. I don't use it much, though, and now it doesn't print black very
often anymore. It will print the black better on the first sheet after
resting for a month or so, but after that the black printing gets streaky
and sometimes goes out altogether. (There are some minor streaks in the
other colors too.) I've cleaned that black cartridge several times, both
with the printer's own function and by hand, with rubbing alcohol. It is
definitely not dried up. And I've even replaced the black cartridge, but I'm
still having the same problem. My friend who works at Office Depot said this
might be because the contacts are on the back of the cartridge and aren't
connecting just right, but I taped the cartridge securely in place and it
didn't work. Any ideas?

0
PR

"PR" <noreply@none.com> wrote in message

> I have an HP 5150 inkjet, and it really worked nicely for the first
> few
> months. I don't use it much, though, and now it doesn't print black
> very
> often anymore. It will print the black better on the first sheet after
> resting for a month or so, but after that the black printing gets
> streaky
> and sometimes goes out altogether. (There are some minor streaks in
> the
> other colors too.)

It sounds like your black cartridge may be low on ink.  When a cartridge
is running low it may recover a bit if allowed to sit with enough ink to
print a page or two.

> I've cleaned that black cartridge several times, both
> with the printer's own function and by hand, with rubbing alcohol. It
> is
> definitely not dried up. And I've even replaced the black cartridge,
> but I'm
> still having the same problem.

Did you use an HP cartridge or a compatible?  There really can be a
difference in quality...  see:
http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/supplies_reliability_ink.pdf

Try printing a self test page as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098#N1609.
If the nozzle pattern has random missing nozzles then it is likely a
problem with the cartridge printhead and cleaning may help.  If regular
repeating nozzles are missing it would indicate a problem with the
contacts between the cartridge and the printer.

> My friend who works at Office Depot said this
> might be because the contacts are on the back of the cartridge and
> aren't
> connecting just right, but I taped the cartridge securely in place and
> it
> didn't work. Any ideas?

 You should *not* apply extra force or pressure on the cartridge to hold
it in place as this may crush the printer's contact "dimples".   In this
case you would need to have the printer serviced.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob
6/8/2006 5:09:32 AM
> > I have an HP 5150 inkjet, and it really worked nicely for the first
> > few
> > months. I don't use it much, though, and now it doesn't print black
> > very
> > often anymore. It will print the black better on the first sheet after
> > resting for a month or so, but after that the black printing gets
> > streaky
> > and sometimes goes out altogether. (There are some minor streaks in
> > the
> > other colors too.)
>
> It sounds like your black cartridge may be low on ink.  When a cartridge
> is running low it may recover a bit if allowed to sit with enough ink to
> print a page or two.

Hmmm... I don't think so... the first cartridge was mostly full, and I've
replaced it to no avail.

> > I've cleaned that black cartridge several times, both
> > with the printer's own function and by hand, with rubbing alcohol. It
> > is
> > definitely not dried up. And I've even replaced the black cartridge,
> > but I'm
> > still having the same problem.
>
> Did you use an HP cartridge or a compatible?  There really can be a
> difference in quality...  see:
> http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/supplies_reliability_ink.pdf

It was an HP.

> Try printing a self test page as shown at:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098#N1609.
> If the nozzle pattern has random missing nozzles then it is likely a
> problem with the cartridge printhead and cleaning may help.  If regular
> repeating nozzles are missing it would indicate a problem with the
> contacts between the cartridge and the printer.

It seems to be mostly random. Although I have cleaned the bottom of the
cartridge thoroughly, where the ink comes out. Is there another place to
clean?

0
PR
6/9/2006 4:57:24 AM

>> If the nozzle pattern has random missing nozzles then it is likely a
>> problem with the cartridge printhead and cleaning may help.  If
>> regular
>> repeating nozzles are missing it would indicate a problem with the
>> contacts between the cartridge and the printer.
>
> It seems to be mostly random. Although I have cleaned the bottom of
> the
> cartridge thoroughly, where the ink comes out. Is there another place
> clean?

Are you manually cleaning the cartridge or are you using the cleaning
routine from the toolbox?  If manual try using the cleaning from the
toolbox, the printer is designed to do this "right".

Are you leaving the printer plugged into a live outlet?  Using a power
strip to turn off a printer may leave the cartridges un capped in the
service station, which can cause them to dry out.

Also, make sure the cartridges are not too "old".  Cartridges do have a
shelf life.  Check the "install by" dates on the cartridge box or the
end of warranty date (two years from date of manufacture)  as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bua02014.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob

HP Deskjet printer won't print black
I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine. I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. Thanks Carol wrote: > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old). All of a sudden it > stopped printing anything in black. I put in a new cartridge and > cleaned them but still no black. Color prints fine. > > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this. > > Thanks Stupid question time- did you pu...

Printer won't print, messages won't delete in WindowsXP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro with a Lexmark Z22 printer. Often when I try to print, the printing notification widow pops up. As usual, I hear "Printing started," but nothing happens while the seconds are ticking away on the clock. If I try to cancel the job, then check the printing queue, the job is still there, marked "Deleting." The only way to get it to print is to restart, then it works (until the next time). The only way to delete the unsuccessful print job is to go into task manager under Processes and try to guess which process to delete. This works, when I g...

printer won't print black
I have an HP photosmart 7550 and I just changed the black ink cartridge and printed a calibration page and it looked fine. I went to print a Word document and the print head was moving like it is printing but the page came out blank. I changed cartridges and it happened again, so I don't think it's the cartridge (unless I happened to have 2 bad carts, but what is the chance of that?). The HP toolbox says the ink level is full. Any ideas? Thanks!! Eddie G "Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote: >I have an HP photosmart 7550 and...

Printer won't print black?
Hi, I have an Epson printer. When I changed out the black cartridge this time it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly, uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have discovered this morning that it may not be the printer. I installed a different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document from yesterday. Did not print in black ink??? I printed the sa...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "hibernate hangs...ethernet disabled...no network...shutdown hangs...CD won't write...printer won't print"
"I wanted to upgrade but couldn't, for reasons not understood having to do with repository stuff. So I installed new ubuntu in dual boot with old ubuntu. Installed OK on my old e-machine. Then I decided to hibernate. Hung. Turned off power. Now the ethernet card is disabled on boot and I cannot get to network. Even if I ifconfig the card. Also, shutdown hangs like hibernate did. I have no clue how to fix this. Fortunately, old ubuntu still comes up and gets to network or I wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, cd rw won't write and printer won't print since ...

HP c5180 won't print in black?
Got the C5180 from a relative because it didn't work. I tried a new black ink tank, it doesn't print anything in black. Color print looks weak and washed out without black for shadow, and black only print comes out almost blank, just a few tiny black dots like I have an empty ink tank installed. I figured something is interrupting the flow of ink from the tank to the printer head as the tank are mounted stationary on the front. Is there any instruction I can use to take apart the 5180 (or any 5100 series) so I can check the connections? ...

HP 930C won't print in black
My colour and black cartirdge ran out around the same time. I had a new black but no new colour. I changed the black but it wouldn't print a black document. I assumed it was still a problem with the colour cartirdidge. I have finally now replaced the colour cartirdge, but it still won't print an all black document. Any ideas? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/03 -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- ...

HP 970cxi won't print black!
Help, suddenly my printer won't print any black text. Checking HP Toolbox, shows I have plenty of black in in the cartridge, but I can't get it to work. I check the text default, and it shows the type should be black. I'm not sure what to do next. I could try a new cartridge, but this one is pretty full, and I don't want to waste it! Thanks for suggestions. Run a clean cycle or better still dab the print head on a tissue to see if there really is any ink left "John" <john@john.net> wrote in message news:bv4m1051i2rcv0mc0c8o5vnqtnbudl0krk@4ax....

Canon i560 printer won't print black
I have an i560 printer. It has suddenly stopped printing black. I have the service manual, but it doesn't give any circuit diagrams. Can anyone help? I looked on the internet, and a number of people have had this problem, but most of the answers tell them to replace the ink cartridge - as if that was not the first thing anyone intelligent would do! I have played around with it, and I find that if I plug it into my laptop it prints a Word text document perfectly - so the black cartidge and printhead must be O.K. When I use my RISC PC it doesn't print, so it would appear that the prin...

Canon S600 printer won't print in black
Hello everyone, I've got a Canon S600 inkjet printer which was working perfectly fine until a couple of days ago in which i was rearranging my computer station to another room. All that was done was that the printer was disconnected and moved temporarily. Upon re-connection, I noticed that anything I try to print in black (ie. Word document or web pages) doesn't print. Other colors including grey print fine. I've checked that all the ink cartridges are full, tried reinstalling/updating the drivers etc. but nothing. If anyone has any insight in what the problem might...

Canon i560 printer won't print black #2
My Canon i560 has suddenly stopped printing black. I've looked on the internet, and quite a few people seem to have had this happen, and the only suggestion is "change the black ink cartridge" - which is what anyone with any intelligence would do anyway! It won't print black text from Impression on my RISC PC, but when I plug the printer into my laptop with the USB it prints out "Word" documents perfectly. I suspect this is because the RISC PC prints documents as graphics, and it has stopped printing graphics. Anyway, it proves that there is no fault with the blac...

Willie won't, Willie won't, won't go!
Ah yes, some 70s nostalgia tunes. ...

HP PSC 1510 Won't Print Black & White Photos
I've tried with photo paper, both glossy and matte, and plain paper but the photo pages which are in black and white come out with a reddish cast. Any idea what the problem could be? The ink levels are good and the settings are correct for black and white printing. I've run the clean print cartridge option but it didn't help. Please help. Pat ...

database layouts won't print, now database won't open
using Mac OS 10.3.4, filemaker pro 7. working with a database converted from filemaker 3. Everything seemed to be fine. Created a new table and imported data into that from another Filemaker 3 database (someone else created these). Layouts were created very easilly. I go to print a layout (label) and choose ALL and it will only print one record, no matter what I put in the print dialogue box. Open other databases and they all printed fine in similar layouts. Tried to "recover' it, thinking it was somehow corrupted (the woman was having a hard time printing it. I thought it was...

Web resources about - HP 5150 Won't Print Black! - comp.periphs.printers