HP 820CXi printer - Cartridge cleaning problem

When I try to clean the cartridges using the HP820 Toolbox cleaning
utility, it causes the printer to crash (all 3 lights flashing).

The sequence of events is;

1. Click Clean Print Cartridges

2. Click Clean

3. Utility starts up, then stops responding causing printer failure
indicated by all 3 lights flashing.

4. I press the Power button and the utility resumes, but I don't know
whether it actually goes through with the cleaning process.

5. The utility offers the choice of an Intermediate clean, which I
accept.

6. Utility indicates Printer Error and states that the computer has
lost communication with the printer.

7. I click Cancel.

8. Utility offers the choice of a Prime clean, which I accept. This
causes the printer to fail again.

9. I click Cancel and close the HP Toolbox.

Anyone any ideas what causes this and what I should try to solve the
problem?

PC Spec and Op System;
Pentium P133
82Mb RAM
Windows 95
0
paulhsimon

On 12 Oct 2003 09:44:29 -0700, paulhsimon@paulhsimon.plus.com (Paul S)
wrote:

>When I try to clean the cartridges using the HP820 Toolbox cleaning
>utility, it causes the printer to crash (all 3 lights flashing).
>
>The sequence of events is;
>
>1. Click Clean Print Cartridges
>
>2. Click Clean
>
>3. Utility starts up, then stops responding causing printer failure
>indicated by all 3 lights flashing.
>
>4. I press the Power button and the utility resumes, but I don't know
>whether it actually goes through with the cleaning process.
>
>5. The utility offers the choice of an Intermediate clean, which I
>accept.
>
>6. Utility indicates Printer Error and states that the computer has
>lost communication with the printer.
>
>7. I click Cancel.
>
>8. Utility offers the choice of a Prime clean, which I accept. This
>causes the printer to fail again.
>
>9. I click Cancel and close the HP Toolbox.
>
>Anyone any ideas what causes this and what I should try to solve the
>problem?
>

>PC Spec and Op System;
>Pentium P133
>82Mb RAM
>Windows 95

Sounds as if Win 95 is corrupted or more likely, your printer driver
is corrupted. I'd try to uninstall the driver and reinstall it.
Download a fresh or u pdated copy of the driver from the HP site
though.

Frank

Frank
0
magpie
10/13/2003 8:03:24 PM
Thanks for the reply, Frank; I'd almost given up hope of getting one.

I've already downloaded updated drivers from the HP site. Any
suggestions on the Win 95 side?
0
paulhsimon
10/14/2003 1:56:03 AM
On 13 Oct 2003 18:56:03 -0700, paulhsimon@paulhsimon.plus.com (Paul S)
wrote:

>Thanks for the reply, Frank; I'd almost given up hope of getting one.
>
>I've already downloaded updated drivers from the HP site. Any
>suggestions on the Win 95 side?

Best suggestion is to try to reinstall Win 95. Hopefully you have at
least the OSR2 version of it. Better suggestion would be to upgrade
your OS, at a minimum to Windows 98SE or go all the way up to Windows
XP.   Best of luck.

Frank
0
magpie
10/15/2003 5:27:54 AM
Thanks Frank

I've got Win98 on CD, and have been strongly considering upgrading to
it but was a little unsure of the consequences given that the PC is
only;

Pentium P133
82Mg Memory
Only 1.2g Hard Drive ( have about 300mg free space)

Would changing to Win98 be feasible?

What would the consequences/side effects be?
0
paulhsimon
10/15/2003 6:01:25 PM
On 15 Oct 2003 11:01:25 -0700, paulhsimon@paulhsimon.plus.com (Paul S)
wrote:

>Thanks Frank
>
>I've got Win98 on CD, and have been strongly considering upgrading to
>it but was a little unsure of the consequences given that the PC is
>only;
>
>Pentium P133
>82Mg Memory
>Only 1.2g Hard Drive ( have about 300mg free space)
>
>Would changing to Win98 be feasible?
>
>What would the consequences/side effects be?

I've got to ask this. In this day and age of ever cheaper (less
expensive) motherboards, cpu's, memory, hard drives etc. etc., why on
earth would you still be struggling with a dinosour?    You could
reformat your drive and load Win 98 in "compact" mode if you really
wanted to, but if it was me, I wouldn't bother.

Frank
0
magpie
10/16/2003 6:41:53 AM
> I've got to ask this. In this day and age of ever cheaper (less
> expensive) motherboards, cpu's, memory, hard drives etc. etc., why on
> earth would you still be struggling with a dinosour?    You could
> reformat your drive and load Win 98 in "compact" mode if you really
> wanted to, but if it was me, I wouldn't bother.
>
> Frank

Point taken Frank!

I've been thinking of building a new PC, but this one seems to run the
software I use OK. That was until you mentioned that Win 95 may be
responsible for my printer problem.
0
paulhsimon

Web resources about - HP 820CXi printer - Cartridge cleaning problem - comp.periphs.printers

Cartridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TI-99/4A Pitfall cartridge demo - YouTube
Retrocloud's adaptation of the classic Pitfall game - for the TI-99/4A. Filip has remade the classic game, and it works in a 32K EPROM! (Sorry ...

Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges
Customers misled by 'remanufactured' printer cartridges

Atari's E.T. The Extraterrestrial cartridges found in landfill
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari E.T. The Extraterrestrial game cartridges ...

Diggers find hundreds of Atari 'E.T.' and other game cartridges in New Mexico landfill - CTV News
A documentary film production company has found buried in a New Mexico landfill hundreds of the Atari "E.T." game cartridges that some call the ...

Dollar Shave Club Claims to Top Schick As No. 2 Razor Cartridge
Dollar Shave Club claims it passed Schick to become the No. 2 razor cartridge brand by volume in July, a little more than three years after the ...

Rocker Releases Album on Nintendo Gaming Cartridges
Rocker Jon Black, who performs as Fort Atlantic, decided to offer his latest album on original Nintendo cartridges. As the music industry's brick-and-mortar ...

“Empty” Epson ink cartridges are still 20 percent full
The high-end Epson 9900 printer, which retails for around £3,000 ($5,000), reports that ink cartridges are empty even when they are still about ...

This is why our brains lied to us about blowing into Nintendo cartridges
Before they were the basis of hip soaps or remade as even hipper clocks, Nintendo’s cartridge games were a source of delight and vexation for ...