HP 8750 printer & Windows 7

Running it as a wired network printer and having problems after going to
the driver that comes with Windows 7. If I try to print 8.5 by 11 (or
probably any other size) borderless the printer comes up an says that
the paper is too small. In short, if I choose Borderless photo 8.5 by 11
photo paper it shows that they size will be 11.14 by 8.73 thus the
printer thinks my normal 8.5 by 11 is too small.

If anyone has this combination of printer and OS please give it a try
and post the results.

Happy Holidays,

Don
0
IGot2P

On 12/24/2009 6:37 PM, IGot2P wrote:
> Running it as a wired network printer and having problems after going to
> the driver that comes with Windows 7. If I try to print 8.5 by 11 (or
> probably any other size) borderless the printer comes up an says that
> the paper is too small. In short, if I choose Borderless photo 8.5 by 11
> photo paper it shows that they size will be 11.14 by 8.73 thus the
> printer thinks my normal 8.5 by 11 is too small.
>
> If anyone has this combination of printer and OS please give it a try
> and post the results.
>
> Happy Holidays,
>
> Don

Okay, for some unknown reason it will now print but......if you print
borderless 13" by 19" it leaves about .2" on one end and one side blank.
All in all, the Windows 7 driver sucks!
0
IGot2P
12/26/2009 5:51:18 PM
On Sat, 26 Dec 2009  IGot2P wrote:

>> Running it as a wired network printer and having problems after going to
>> the driver that comes with Windows 7. If I try to print 8.5 by 11 (or
>> probably any other size) borderless the printer comes up an says that
>> the paper is too small. In short, if I choose Borderless photo 8.5 by 11
>> photo paper it shows that they size will be 11.14 by 8.73 thus the
>> printer thinks my normal 8.5 by 11 is too small.
>>
>> If anyone has this combination of printer and OS please give it a try
>> and post the results.
>
>Okay, for some unknown reason it will now print but......if you print
>borderless 13" by 19" it leaves about .2" on one end and one side
>blank. All in all, the Windows 7 driver sucks!

Isn't this always the way when Microsoft bring out a new OS? HP update
the "fully featured drivers" to the new OS but they are usually just
basic drivers and not fully featured at all, thus forcing one either to
buy a new printer or downgrade to the previous OS.

That's a good reason for me not upgrading XP for a good long time! I've
got an HP 8750 and I want to keep all the features

David

--
David Rance        writing from Caversham, Reading, UK
http://rance.org.uk

0
David
12/26/2009 10:35:34 PM
On 26-Dec-2009, David Rance <david.rance@SPAMOFFrance.org.uk> wrote:

> Isn't this always the way when Microsoft bring out a new OS? HP update
> the "fully featured drivers" to the new OS but they are usually just
> basic drivers and not fully featured at all, thus forcing one either to
> buy a new printer or downgrade to the previous OS.

MS are in league with printer mfr's to get perfectly good printers
to landfill, corporate buyers just replace, home users have to
buy new if they want the full functionality that they had with their
previous OS.
MS we don't write drivers, that's the mfr's responsibility.
Mfr's "We won't waste effort writing drivers for printers we no
longer sell. Go and buy a new one."
Funny how MS have never released a compatibilty mode
for drivers, while Linux drives practically anything ever produced,
ancient or modern.
0
Ato_Zee
12/26/2009 10:56:18 PM
"IGot2P" <don@crsales.com> wrote in message
> On 12/24/2009 6:37 PM, IGot2P wrote:
>> Running it as a wired network printer and having problems after going to
>> the driver that comes with Windows 7. If I try to print 8.5 by 11 (or
>> probably any other size) borderless the printer comes up an says that
>> the paper is too small. In short, if I choose Borderless photo 8.5 by 11
>> photo paper it shows that they size will be 11.14 by 8.73 thus the
>> printer thinks my normal 8.5 by 11 is too small.
>>
>> If anyone has this combination of printer and OS please give it a try
>> and post the results.
>>
>> Happy Holidays,
>>
>> Don
>
> Okay, for some unknown reason it will now print but......if you print
> borderless 13" by 19" it leaves about .2" on one end and one side blank.
> All in all, the Windows 7 driver sucks!

What happens if you use the Vista driver?

0
Ian
12/28/2009 2:37:42 AM
On 12/27/2009 8:37 PM, Ian D wrote:
> "IGot2P"<don@crsales.com>  wrote in message
>> On 12/24/2009 6:37 PM, IGot2P wrote:
>>> Running it as a wired network printer and having problems after going to
>>> the driver that comes with Windows 7. If I try to print 8.5 by 11 (or
>>> probably any other size) borderless the printer comes up an says that
>>> the paper is too small. In short, if I choose Borderless photo 8.5 by 11
>>> photo paper it shows that they size will be 11.14 by 8.73 thus the
>>> printer thinks my normal 8.5 by 11 is too small.
>>>
>>> If anyone has this combination of printer and OS please give it a try
>>> and post the results.
>>>
>>> Happy Holidays,
>>>
>>> Don
>>
>> Okay, for some unknown reason it will now print but......if you print
>> borderless 13" by 19" it leaves about .2" on one end and one side blank.
>> All in all, the Windows 7 driver sucks!
>
> What happens if you use the Vista driver?

Hey, that may be a good idea. HP has a software patch when upgrading
Vista to Windows 7 so maybe I could load the Vista version and then the
patch and see what happens. I did a clean load of Windows 7 on a new
machine as opposed to any upgrade. I still have three systems that are
running XP so I just may go back to one of them......never did have Vista.

Don

0
IGot2P
12/28/2009 6:15:45 AM
> On 12/27/2009 8:37 PM, Ian D wrote:
>> "IGot2P"<don@crsales.com>  wrote in message

>>> Okay, for some unknown reason it will now print but......if you print
>>> borderless 13" by 19" it leaves about .2" on one end and one side blank.
>>> All in all, the Windows 7 driver sucks!
>>
>> What happens if you use the Vista driver?
>>

> Hey, that may be a good idea. HP has a software patch when upgrading Vista
> to Windows 7 so maybe I could load the Vista version and then the patch
> and see what happens. I did a clean load of Windows 7 on a new machine as
> opposed to any upgrade. I still have three systems that are running XP so
> I just may go back to one of them......never did have Vista.
>
> Don

That's where laser printers are good.  I have an HP B&W and an
HP color laserjet, and the same universal driver is used for both
printers, for XP through Win 7.  In fact, the existing XP/Vista
driver was re-certified for Win 7.  There are 32 bit and 64 bit
versions of the drivers.  It's too bad HP didn't have universal
drivers for the inkjets.  I guess they're not considered as
business class printers.  Even early 90's HP LJ4's have Win 7
driver capability through the universal driver, which recognizes
the individual capabilities of each model.

0
Ian