HP Deskjet printer won't print black

I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old).  All of a sudden it
stopped printing anything in black.  I put in a new cartridge and
cleaned them but still no black.  Color prints fine.

I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks
0
googlemail2003

Carol wrote:

> I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old).  All of a sudden it
> stopped printing anything in black.  I put in a new cartridge and
> cleaned them but still no black.  Color prints fine.
>
> I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
>
> Thanks
Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles?
0
tomcas
7/20/2004 10:49:06 PM
"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old).  All of a sudden it
> stopped printing anything in black.  I put in a new cartridge and
> cleaned them but still no black.  Color prints fine.

Start by disconnecting the computer and doing a simple diagnostic print as
shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N1017E

If this prints a simple nozzle pattern of black, cyan, magenta and yellow then
the problem may lie with your driver.

Regards,
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob
7/21/2004 3:20:49 AM
googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote in message news:<36f36d84.0407200645.c934c86@posting.google.com>...
> I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old).  All of a sudden it
> stopped printing anything in black.  I put in a new cartridge and
> cleaned them but still no black.  Color prints fine.
>
> I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
>
> Thanks

I don't know much about this particular HP printer but the newer ones
come with new heads on the cartridges themselves.  However, you did
say that it is an old printer so are the heads on the printer itself
(likely) or on the cartridge?  I had an Epson printer at one time
which did exactly the same thing and it turned out that the printing
head for black was plugged up.  That's the nice thing about the new HP
printers (mine anyway), you throw the head away with the cartridge and
install a new one every time so chances of them plugging up are slim.
0
done4it
7/21/2004 3:42:08 AM
tomcas <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message news:<CjhLc.65325$S45.7685436@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
> Carol wrote:
>
> > I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old).  All of a sudden it
> > stopped printing anything in black.  I put in a new cartridge and
> > cleaned them but still no black.  Color prints fine.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
> >
> > Thanks
>  Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles?

Yup
0
googlemail2003
7/21/2004 12:29:14 PM
Carol wrote:
> tomcas <tomcas@NOSPAMmjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message news:<CjhLc.65325$S45.7685436@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...
>
>>Carol wrote:
>>

>>>I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old).  All of a sudden it
>>>stopped printing anything in black.  I put in a new cartridge and
>>>cleaned them but still no black.  Color prints fine.
>>>
>>>I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>
>> Stupid question time- did you pull off the tape covering the print nozzles?
>

> Yup
Did you try the self test as suggested by Bob?
0
tomcas
7/21/2004 11:48:24 PM
googlemail2003@yahoo.com (Carol) wrote in message news:<36f36d84.0407200645.c934c86@posting.google.com>...
> I have an HP Deskjet 720c (yes, I know it's old).  All of a sudden it
> stopped printing anything in black.  I put in a new cartridge and
> cleaned them but still no black.  Color prints fine.
>
> I'd appreciate any help I can get with this.
>
> Thanks

Never mind.  I bought a new printer yesterday.  Just can't do without
a printer for too long.

By the way I did do the print test and no black appeared.  Mostly like
it was a clogged print head, although I did try cleaning it.  Anyway
printers are pretty cheap so what the heck............
0
googlemail2003

Printer won't print, messages won't delete in WindowsXP Pro
I'm running Windows XP Pro with a Lexmark Z22 printer. Often when I try to print, the printing notification widow pops up. As usual, I hear "Printing started," but nothing happens while the seconds are ticking away on the clock. If I try to cancel the job, then check the printing queue, the job is still there, marked "Deleting." The only way to get it to print is to restart, then it works (until the next time). The only way to delete the unsuccessful print job is to go into task manager under Processes and try to guess which process to delete. This works, when I g...

printer won't print black
I have an HP photosmart 7550 and I just changed the black ink cartridge and printed a calibration page and it looked fine. I went to print a Word document and the print head was moving like it is printing but the page came out blank. I changed cartridges and it happened again, so I don't think it's the cartridge (unless I happened to have 2 bad carts, but what is the chance of that?). The HP toolbox says the ink level is full. Any ideas? Thanks!! Eddie G "Eddie G" <mickeddie@(removeme)comcast.net> wrote: >I have an HP photosmart 7550 and...

Printer won't print black?
Hi, I have an Epson printer. When I changed out the black cartridge this time it wouldn't print. After many hours of frustration - trying a different new cartridge, printing in colors, cleaning printing heads repeatedly, uninstalling and reinstalling driver, and communicating with Epson - I have discovered this morning that it may not be the printer. I installed a different printer, hp officejet 6100 all-in-one, went through all the software installation procedures and finally attempted to print the document from yesterday. Did not print in black ink??? I printed the sa...

Ubuntu Lurid crapware: "hibernate hangs...ethernet disabled...no network...shutdown hangs...CD won't write...printer won't print"
"I wanted to upgrade but couldn't, for reasons not understood having to do with repository stuff. So I installed new ubuntu in dual boot with old ubuntu. Installed OK on my old e-machine. Then I decided to hibernate. Hung. Turned off power. Now the ethernet card is disabled on boot and I cannot get to network. Even if I ifconfig the card. Also, shutdown hangs like hibernate did. I have no clue how to fix this. Fortunately, old ubuntu still comes up and gets to network or I wouldn't be here. Unfortunately, cd rw won't write and printer won't print since ...

Canon S600 printer won't print in black
Hello everyone, I've got a Canon S600 inkjet printer which was working perfectly fine until a couple of days ago in which i was rearranging my computer station to another room. All that was done was that the printer was disconnected and moved temporarily. Upon re-connection, I noticed that anything I try to print in black (ie. Word document or web pages) doesn't print. Other colors including grey print fine. I've checked that all the ink cartridges are full, tried reinstalling/updating the drivers etc. but nothing. If anyone has any insight in what the problem might...

Canon i560 printer won't print black
I have an i560 printer. It has suddenly stopped printing black. I have the service manual, but it doesn't give any circuit diagrams. Can anyone help? I looked on the internet, and a number of people have had this problem, but most of the answers tell them to replace the ink cartridge - as if that was not the first thing anyone intelligent would do! I have played around with it, and I find that if I plug it into my laptop it prints a Word text document perfectly - so the black cartidge and printhead must be O.K. When I use my RISC PC it doesn't print, so it would appear that the prin...

Canon i560 printer won't print black #2
My Canon i560 has suddenly stopped printing black. I've looked on the internet, and quite a few people seem to have had this happen, and the only suggestion is "change the black ink cartridge" - which is what anyone with any intelligence would do anyway! It won't print black text from Impression on my RISC PC, but when I plug the printer into my laptop with the USB it prints out "Word" documents perfectly. I suspect this is because the RISC PC prints documents as graphics, and it has stopped printing graphics. Anyway, it proves that there is no fault with the blac...

I can't print with printer hp deskjet 5900 series
I can't print any page with labview , my printer is hp deskjet 5900 series . Labview don't accept my printer name and return error "printer name is invalid" . thank you for your help Do a search in the forum. see <a href="http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&amp;message.id=243840&amp;query.id=20162#M243840" target="_blank">here</a> also ...

Computer won't allow Printer To Be Added... and dies when HP Network Printer Wizard Runss..
One of my WIN98SE networked printers won't add printers. Two other computers on the network nicely added the new printer with no problems. There is a DirectJet 500 printer server on the network which is functional For the troublesome computer, the Printer applet in Control Pannel and in My Computer just won't run. These run on the other networked computers. When I run HP Network Printer Setup Wizard, it dies or claims the printer isn't networked, on this particular computer. The wizard runs fine on the other networked computers. The network protocols active a...

Vista doesn't print to an old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection)...
Hello. I have an old college friend who has a fairly new Gateway computer from April/May 2007. It came with Windows Vista. She has a printing problem with her old HP Deskjet 870Cse printer (parallel connection). She bought a Belkin USB Parallel Printer Adapter (part number F5U002v1). She says the box doesn't say Vista support. Is this a problem? I don't think it is since it is just a cable adapter. When she tries to print, Vista saves as a XPS file and not send to the printer. I read that XPS is like PDF. It sounds like Vista doesn't have her printer connected ...

Can't print to HP LaserJet printer via Windows Printing
I can print to one of the HP LaserJet 2100tn printers via AppleTalk. But when I try to add the printer (via the Printer Setup Utility), I can't see it. 1. I click the Add button 2. I select Windows Printing from the drop-down list 3. I select a workgroup from the lower drop-down list No printers show up in the list. There are 2 HP LJ printers on the net, but none of them show up under Windows Printing. Am I doing something wrong? Also, I tried adding a printer via IP Printing. But when I try to print, I get no indication that the printer has received the job; no output. Maybe...

Laser Printer Won't Print
I've owned my Minolta QMS 1200w for five year and the last time I changed the cartridge was four years ago. Today I tried to print a document and keep getting the error message "This document failed to print". I've checked the parallel cable connections and power supply, tried printing from the command prompt without success. I've uninstalled the printer and reinstalled using the "Add Printer" again without success. I've taken the cartridge out of the printer and gently shaken it from side to side. I'm pretty sure that the cartridge is empty e...

printer won't print straight
At work, we have an HP clolor laserjet 4600. I had a document with a border. When I printed it, the document apparently was not straight, as the margin to the top of the border was slanted. Does it just about every time, although the slant differs from time to time. Is there some calibration I can do? Thanks, Peter This is a common problem with laser printers. As the paper feed rollers wear, paper can slip and slide as it is being pulled through the printer resulting in skewiff borders. You will need to replace the paper feed rollers. James Sodor www.whatcartridge.com ...

Epson printer won't print
A friend of mine with an Epson USB printer a couple years old running under Windows 98 is having a problem not being able to print. She says the printer indicates no paper is present when there is ample paper. When the printer is turned off and then back on it usually prints. Is there a fairly easy solution for this problem? ...

Printer won't print landscape
I have an HP 1300 laserjet printer. I just connected it to a Linksys PSUS4 print server. In order to get it to work, I had to change it from a CUPS printer to a networked Unix printer using printtool: Queue type: Networked UNIX (LPS) Server: 192.168.1.6 Queue: lp Now it does not print landscape fro OpenOffice, or anywhere for that matter. I've tried changing the driver, as well as other options using printtool under Fedora Core 4. I also tried using OO's spadmin but that had no affect either. Is it possible to get this configuration to support landscape printi...

Printer just won't print
I configured my printer with APSFILTER. It usually works very well, but this time I tried to install CUPS before and it might be why I've had problems ever since. When I look at the printer settings in KDE, everything seems fine. When I try to print a document, I receive a message saying that data is sent to the printer, but nothing happens thereafter. I don't even recieve an error message. I can't even print from the command line with lpr /etc/hosts or echo "Hello World" | lpr -PCan300. No error message, no nothing. lpq (ou lpstat) yields: Printer: Can300@here 'lq850;r=300x300;q=medium;c=full;p=letter;m=auto' Queue: no printable jobs in queue Server: no server active Status: job 'gp@here+831' saved at 00:46:10.773 Rank Owner/ID Class Job Files Size Time error gp@here+831 A 831 ERROR: aborting operations ---------------------------------------- lpc reread: lpd server pid 651 on here, sending SIGHUP ---------------------------------------- ps ax: 651 ? S 0:00 lpd Waiting ---------------------------------------- Still doesn't print! Here at my links in /usr/bin . Is it normal that lp links to lp-lprng, which links to lpr, which links to lpr-lprng ? It looks like quite a merry-go-round! ls -l /usr/bin/lp* : lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 2004-06-19 15:18 /usr/bin/lp -> lp-lprng* -rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 148 2003-09-12 01:13 /u...

Printer won't print any colors!
Canon i850, WinXP, USB. Don't know what's going on here. Printer worked normally a week or 2 ago when I last used it. But now it will only print black--no colors. I've uninstalled/reinstalled it. Updated driver to latest. Cleaned print head by removing it from printer and also from Maintenance tab. Any more ideas? First of all what happens when you do a nozzle test print from th printers maintenance Window....are there any colours showing on th test strip.. Dav "Davy" <no@spam.invalid> wrote in message news:%S83g.193466$iS4.193071...

Classic won't work with HP printer
A client of mine has a small ethernet network, using 1 iMac Flat-Panel and 2 eMacs. There's an Asante' hub to connect them and an HP 4050 TN printer.One of the eMacs was bought maybe 6 months ago, and the other was bought about 10 days ago. The latest eMac won't print on the HP printer, although the others will, whether in os x or classic. These three are mostly used on a proprietary program, DentalMac. When I discovered the printing problem on the latest eMac, I tried printing from SimpleText (in Classic). I get an error message "SimpleText is unable to print this document....

HP 5150 Won't Print Black!
Hello! I have an HP 5150 inkjet, and it really worked nicely for the first few months. I don't use it much, though, and now it doesn't print black very often anymore. It will print the black better on the first sheet after resting for a month or so, but after that the black printing gets streaky and sometimes goes out altogether. (There are some minor streaks in the other colors too.) I've cleaned that black cartridge several times, both with the printer's own function and by hand, with rubbing alcohol. It is definitely not dried up. And I've even replaced the bla...

HP Printer won't scan... augh!
Just got a new HP printer,,HP Officejet J5780 All-in-One,,but it won't scan. Everything else works fine, but when I try to scan it says No scan options, and also tells me that there is 'no connection to the PC'. I've tried re-installing the software, and other things, but no luck. It faxes and prints without problems. I'm using updated XP Any clues? Thanks ...

Printer won't print new data!
I have a similar post in news:comp.syshp.hardware My mate has a HP DeskJet printer. I sent him a few photos as did someone else. He got them all printed out but when he tried to print out a document from Word the printer kept printing the photos. Does anyone have any idea what the problem would be? Many thanks for any replies Barney Sorry for the misprint. I have posted this to news:comp.sys.hp.hardware > I have a similar post in news:comp.syshp.hardware > > My mate has a HP DeskJet printer. I sent him a few photos as did someone > else. He got them all printed ...

iPhoto won't print to my Epson printer
Fellow Mac users: After using the program and printer for about 9 months, iPhoto 2.0 will not print to my Epson Stylus Photo 925. Here's what I've done. 1. Called Epson - In that the printer works with other applications including MS Word and Epson's Film Factory, they say that the problem is not with their printer. 2. Called Apple - trashed com.apple.iphoto.plist preference, tried starting with all new preferences. No luck. They say that they can't help me. Here's what happens. The signal goes from the computer to the printer. The printer starts to process. The...

HP c5180 won't print in black?
Got the C5180 from a relative because it didn't work. I tried a new black ink tank, it doesn't print anything in black. Color print looks weak and washed out without black for shadow, and black only print comes out almost blank, just a few tiny black dots like I have an empty ink tank installed. I figured something is interrupting the flow of ink from the tank to the printer head as the tank are mounted stationary on the front. Is there any instruction I can use to take apart the 5180 (or any 5100 series) so I can check the connections? ...

HP 930C won't print in black
My colour and black cartirdge ran out around the same time. I had a new black but no new colour. I changed the black but it wouldn't print a black document. I assumed it was still a problem with the colour cartirdidge. I have finally now replaced the colour cartirdge, but it still won't print an all black document. Any ideas? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.542 / Virus Database: 336 - Release Date: 18/11/03 -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- ...

Web resources about - HP Deskjet printer won't print black - comp.periphs.printers