HP LaserJet 2300 "feature": HP-only toner?

Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
memory size?
0
ljb

For what is worth, HP is not the only one who chipped its Toner. The good old
days of  taking the empty toner cartridge and drill a hole to fill toner are
gone. You see, the chip has to be replaced each time the toner is rebuilt or
refurb'd now. I think HP started with the LJ 1300, 2300, 4100, etc. There are
litigations in different courts pit the OEM makers vs Reman'd toner vendors. I
have heard some vendor's would allow non-OEM toner in its printer but the
print speed will be less than half.  Don't remember where I read that now.

Dewaine

ljb wrote:

> Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
> checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
> means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
> feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
> memory size?

0
Dewaine
5/6/2005 2:28:53 AM
I suggest that you talk to compatible suppliers and remanufacturers of 2300
cartridges, there is at least one supplier of chips that can replace the chip
on the cartridge (very simple to replace). Remanufactured 2300 cartridges are
definitely available in most if not all parts of the world, done properly there
are no patent implications. You can also buy the chips but probably only in
lots of 10 or something like that (you would probably have to buy the same
quantity of toner also from the same source). So I suggest you look to buy
compatibles or remanufactured cartridges since home refilling of one cartridge
more than once or twice has serious complications. A reputable supplier will
provide a product every bit as good as an OEM cartridge (some are actually
better for certain models!!!!).
Tony

ljb <ljb220@mindspring.com.nospam> wrote:
>Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
>checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
>means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
>feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
>memory size?

0
Tony
5/6/2005 5:50:03 AM

Tony wrote:

>I suggest that you talk to compatible suppliers and remanufacturers of 2300
>cartridges, there is at least one supplier of chips that can replace the chip
>on the cartridge (very simple to replace). Remanufactured 2300 cartridges are
>definitely available in most if not all parts of the world, done properly there
>are no patent implications. You can also buy the chips but probably only in
>lots of 10 or something like that (you would probably have to buy the same
>quantity of toner also from the same source). So I suggest you look to buy
>compatibles or remanufactured cartridges since home refilling of one cartridge
>more than once or twice has serious complications. A reputable supplier will
>provide a product every bit as good as an OEM cartridge (some are actually
>better for certain models!!!!).
>Tony da Tiger
>
>ljb <ljb220@mindspring.com.nospam> wrote:
>

>>Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
>>checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
>>means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
>>feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
>>memory size?

0
measekite
5/6/2005 6:45:21 AM
To follow up my own post, having actually found the answer: yes the
toner cartridges are 'chipped', but the printer does not require use of
only those cartridges. Apparently if you use a non-HP cartridge in
the 2300 (and yes they are available), the printer will 'scold' you
through its front panel, and certain features like toner status won't work,
but the printer will print. I still think it's funny that HP considers
it a feature to 'check for authentic HP print cartridges'.

> ljb wrote:
>
>> Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
>> checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
>> means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
>> feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
>> memory size?

0
ljb
5/7/2005 1:25:34 AM
ljb wrote:
> Our new HP LaserJet 2300n comes with this advertised feature: "The printer
> checks for authentic HP print cartridges". Does this mean what I think it
> means? Only HP toner cartridges are allowed? And HP considers this a
> feature to advertise, along with things like the page-per-minute speed and
> memory size?

This machine doesn't insist on HP-only cartridges. That's actually
illegal under the laws of most countries. The machine has a number of
features in it for tracking toner usage and does predictive analysis of
when a cartridge will need replacing. It can do this via the embedded
web server of by HP Web Jetadmin.

If you use a non-HP cartridge then the machine doesn't know how much
toner was in it to start with and therefore can't work out how much
toner is left in order to do its analysis of when it will need replacing.

--
Mushroom
0

Installing printer "HP Laserjet 2420dn" in "Tru64 UNIX 5.1B"
Hi.. Folks i am having a problems installing this printer in Unix System, can anyone giving me a starting run to do it, or where can i get this information. Thks Bruno brunoacduarte@gmail.com wrote: > Hi.. > > Folks i am having a problems installing this printer in Unix System, > can anyone giving me a starting run to do it, or where can i get this > information. > > > Thks > > Bruno > You can use CUPS, but you'll probably have to compile it... www.cups.org Or if you want to use it just for text, you'll have to edit...

HP LaserJet printer "phones home"
In trying to find out why my laptop with another OS couldn't update the firmware in my LJ4050's network card, I set ethereal to watching the printer's IP. Null result on the firmware update, but I found when I turn the printer on, it sends its information as an "Attribute Reply" to 224.0.1.60 (HP-DEVICE-DISC.MCAST.NET). The information includes it's IP address, the name I've given it and other sundry strings. Is this a commonly known thing? Craig Craig McCluskey wrote: > In trying to find out why my laptop with another OS couldn't update the >...

What solvent(s) is/are used in HP deskjet cartridges? I have a HP DeskJet 940C and the cartridges are "15" (Black ) and "78" (Colour)
Ether? Methanol, ethanol? Are there different solvents for colour and black cartridges, BTW? Thanks in advance for any relevant reply! /D Dean Keaton wrote: > Ether? Methanol, ethanol? Are there different solvents for colour and > black cartridges, BTW? Thanks in advance for any relevant reply! /D I believe that the black ink uses dihydrogen monoxide for a solvent. The color one probably uses water as a solvent. -- ................................ Keepsake gift for young girls. Unique and personal one-of-a-kind. Builds strong minds 12 ways. Guaranteed sat...

"The HP LaserJet 1020 has the front door open or the toner cartridge is missing."
I get this message even though the front door is NOT open nor is the toner cartridge missing. Help! "aesthete8@hotmail.com" <aesthete8@hotmail.com> wrote: >I get this message even though the front door is NOT open nor is the >toner cartridge missing. > >Help! The simplest thing to do is to remove the cartridge and examine it. There are 3 (I think) contacts at the ends of the cartridge that mate with contacts in the printer. Make sure they are all clean (in the cartridge and the printer), from memory some of the ones in the printer are spring metal...

HP LaserJet III-Error code 12 "Printer Open" problem
This printer was just put into service 3 years ago although it was made in 1990. It is new out of the box and has printed less than 1000 pages. When turned on it cycles through the self test and into the printer open error. I have checked the obvious items including all switches, DC voltage, most cable connections, ground connections and have changed cartridges. I would scrap this machine except it is like new, it's fast ,quite, and I have several extra cartridges. Anybody have any ideas on fixing this problem? >HP LaserJet III-Error code 12 "Printer Open" problem ...

USB bootable maker: Diff between "HP Drive Key Boot Utility" and "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool"?
As far as I found out there two different tools for making an USB stick bootable: "HP Drive Key Boot Utility" and "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" What is the difference between them? J. On 20 Apr 2009 09:54:57 GMT, jjstacy@yahoo.net (Jason Stacy) wrote: >As far as I found out there two different tools for making an USB stick bootable: > >"HP Drive Key Boot Utility" > >and > >"HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" > >What is the difference between them? > >J. "HP Drive Key Boot Utilit...

"""""""""ADD ME""""""""""

Printers HP "host based"
Hi All, Somebody has a solution for printing on HP or other printers with "host based" drivers (without PCL5 or PCL6 emulate) using Windows ? I found on http://sourceforge.net/projects/hplip a driver to linux but I didn�t found to Windows. TIA, FabioNery I Forgot: I�m using xHarbour Nov/07 with www "FabioNery" <desenv@graphosinformatica.com.br> escreveu na mensagem news:474d880b$0$1346$834e42db@reader.greatnowhere.com... > Hi All, > > Somebody has a solution for printing on HP or other printers with "host > based" drivers (without PCL...

HP Laserjet "Powersave" mode.
I stuck a power meter on my Laserjet 4000 yesterday. The HP specs are accurate and sure enough it sits at about 30watts when idle and up to about 600 when printing. What surprised me, however, was that there was seemingly no difference at all when the printer went into what the display calls "powersave". This turns off the backlight on the display but the power drawn by the printer remains at 30 watts. Is this a fault or is HP's Powersave a load of greenwash? b33k34@hotmail.com <b33k34@hotmail.com> wrote: > I stuck a power meter on my Laserjet 4000 yeste...

"Limited Edition" HP-15C and HP-12C
Previously spotted in a Japanese web site, announced here: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/calculator/30th-anniversary.html -- Roberto Waltman [ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ] On 3 sep, 00:57, Roberto Waltman <use...@rwaltman.com> wrote: > Previously spotted in a Japanese web site, announced here: > > http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/calculator/30th-anniversary.html > > -- > Roberto Waltman > > [ Please reply to the group. > =A0 Return address is invalid ] Is this for real? When are they available? On 9/2/2011 6:57 PM, Roberto Waltman wr...

WTT: HP rx2620 ("Montecito") for an HP zx2000
Is anyone perhaps interested in trading a zx2000 for an rx2620? An rx2620 with "Montecito" (dual-core, hyperthreading, VT-x, etc.), no less! So you could run HPVM (also known as Integrity VM) and run mulitple virtualized VMS 'guests'. That's 4 cores, 4 threads (so 8 logical processors, pretty much), compared to the single-core processor of a zx2000. I've recently put my rx2620s up for sale, which would leave me Integrity-less and I'd still like to run VMS I64. A zx2000 would be better for me, considering the lower power consumption and that I wouldn&...

"If then; if then;" and "If then; if;"

"out" and "in out"

why "::", not "."

about "++" and "--"

"or" and "and"

"Wikibook" on programming HP calculators in HP-BASIC
Hi everyone, I'm reasonably sure most of you will have heard of Wikipedia, if not, have a look at this page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia This explains what Wikipedia and the wiki concept are all about. A sister project of Wikipedia, Wikibooks, was more recently created, and I've made substantial edits and additions to the book on programming HP calculators in HP-BASIC. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Programming_HP_Calculators However, the content is still far from complete, and needs expansion! Anyone can edit the wikibook, you don't need to make an account although I re...

"/a" is not "/a" ?

"my" and "our"

HP-UX "ping -i" vs. Linux "ping -I"
Hi, I have a problem with a missing feature in HP-UX ping that is present in Linux ping: Option "-i address" for HP-UX ping sets the source address only if the destination address is a braodcast address. In Linux option "-I address" sets the source address unconditionally. (Both systems require the requested source address to be configured on a local interface) What I need is the Linux feature for HP-UX. Does anybody have the C source program that works for HP-UX. I have no idea how difficult it is to port the Linux sources to HP-UX. Thanks, Ulrich Ulrich Windl <U...

Web resources about - HP LaserJet 2300 "feature": HP-only toner? - comp.periphs.printers