HP Laserjet 6L printer connect via USB port?

I have just purchased a new HP Computer, & to my chagrin, it did not
contain a parallel printer port.  It does contain several USB ports.
Am using Windows XP Pro.

The printer I have is the HP Laserjet 6L printer that contains only a
parallel printer port.  Can I connect the printer using a USB to
Parallel Printer Cable purchased off the shelf at Frys, or do I need a
special HP cable?

Also, when setting up the printer using ADD HARDWARE function of XP,
do I select the "virtual usb printing" option or the parallel printing
option.

All info welcomed!    Aaron in N. Hollywood

0
aaronep

On 19 Apr 2007 16:47:07 -0700, in comp.periphs.printers
"aaronep@pacbell.net" <aaronep@pacbell.net> wrote:

>I have just purchased a new HP Computer, & to my chagrin, it did not
>contain a parallel printer port.  It does contain several USB ports.
>Am using Windows XP Pro.
>
>The printer I have is the HP Laserjet 6L printer that contains only a
>parallel printer port.  Can I connect the printer using a USB to
>Parallel Printer Cable purchased off the shelf at Frys, or do I need a
>special HP cable?
>
>Also, when setting up the printer using ADD HARDWARE function of XP,
>do I select the "virtual usb printing" option or the parallel printing
>option.
>
>All info welcomed!    Aaron in N. Hollywood

Why not just put an inexpensive PCI parallel port card in the machine?
0
Ed
4/20/2007 1:49:08 PM
I installed my 6L on a DLink DP300U printserver, been working great for
a couple of years now.

On 2007-04-19 16:47:07 -0700, "aaronep@pacbell.net" <aaronep@pacbell.net> said:

> I have just purchased a new HP Computer, & to my chagrin, it did not
> contain a parallel printer port.  It does contain several USB ports.
> Am using Windows XP Pro.
>
> The printer I have is the HP Laserjet 6L printer that contains only a
> parallel printer port.  Can I connect the printer using a USB to
> Parallel Printer Cable purchased off the shelf at Frys, or do I need a
> special HP cable?
>
> Also, when setting up the printer using ADD HARDWARE function of XP,
> do I select the "virtual usb printing" option or the parallel printing
> option.
>
> All info welcomed!    Aaron in N. Hollywood

0
blodwyn

Connecting to Networked Printer via USB Port
Hi, I'm a consultant at a client site with no access to their network or their printers. I tried to connect directly to one of these networked printers using the USB port on the printer. After loading and installing the printer drivers in my laptop (for a Laserjet 4350dtn), I would get a printing error messagewhen trying to print a document. What I'm trying to figure out is whether this is an installation problem in my laptop, or if what I'm trying to do creates a conflict at the printer level between the network connection and the USB connection. Any input would ...

Need help! Setting up a HP LaserJet 1200 printer connected via HP Jet Direct EX Plus print server on AIX 4.2.1
I have an AIX 4.2.1 box (yes it's old and out of support I know). I am attempting to setup at remote print queue to a HP LaserJet 1200 printer which is attached to our PC network via a HP Jetdirect EX Plus print server. I used the method I use to setup remote print queues to our HP Jetdirect 4200 printers with internal network cards. I am not having any luck with this, possibly because the print drivers I have installed for AIX 4.2.1 are not up to date enough to include this new print server. Has anyone set one of these up on an AIX 4.2.1 box? What network port does the HP print serve...

HP All-in-One via Wireless Router with USB printer port
Hi, I own an HP PSC2210 all-in-one printer which is currently connected to my PC via USB. I now think of buying a wireless DSL Router with integrated USB printer port. Does anyone know if I can only use printer functions with the port on the router or if all functions of the PSC2210 will work that way (printing & scanning) Thanks, Olaf ...

Connecting a USB printer to an old laptop via the serial port
Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port using a USB/serial adapter? http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1 66835&Sku=B133-1012&SRCCODE=SHOPPINGDF "Tom" <thall91739@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1df688cb.0310171128.14cdc780@posting.google.com... > Is it possible to connect a USB printer to a computer's serial port > using a USB/serial adapter? Whereas On 17 Oct 2003 12:28:41 -0700, thall91739@yahoo.com (Tom) scribbled: , I thus relpy: >Is it possible to connect a...

HP All-in-One via Wireless Router with USB printer port #2
Hi, I own an HP PSC2210 all-in-one printer which is currently connected to my PC via USB. I now think of buying a wireless DSL Router with integrated USB printer port. Does anyone know if I can only use printer functions with the port on the router or if all functions of the PSC2210 will work that way (printing & scanning) Thanks, Olaf ...

USB connection between Canon i9900 printer and USB hub port
i9900 printer works by USB connection. A USB 2.0 cable was connected from the printer to a USB port in computer tower. In the past, I did not have any problem printing images. Last week, I purchased a 4-port, USB 2.0 hub (Ultra from RadioShack). The Ultra hub is powered by plugging into a power outlet. With flashdrive and SD flashcard, the Ultra hub worked very well. But when I connected a USB cable from i9900 to the Ultra hub, it prints only a half an inch of images. But the cable was connect to a USB port in the tower, it starts to print pictures. It seems that c...

USB printer Router with parallel port for printer
HI, We are looking for a braodband router with build-in printer server with a USB port. There a lot of broadband router that offer printer server but all the one we have found have parrallel port for the printer. The printer we want to buy with the router is an all in-one printer. Here all the printer we find have only USB port. Have any one find a way to connect the two or we facing a strange mismach? Thank you Andr� Blanchard <andre.blanchard@fadq.qc.ca> wrote in message news:<p1vdhvscbh85tv4mfspltfn007vfiaqa7c@4ax.com>... > HI, > > We are looking ...

USB Port on HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer... Only USB 1.1?
Hello. I have a HP PhotoSmart 8450 printer. I used its USB port, on the bottom left of the printer, to connect USB 2.0 Flash Sticks/Drives/... It seems to access files very slow. It feels like USB 1.1 speed. Does anyone know if this is supposed to be 2.0 speed? Is there a way to check? I was not able to find this information in my printer manual and on HP's Web site. I tried disconnecting the printer from the computer motherboard's USB port WITH its 2'(?) USB extension cord (printer is on my bookshelf and not close enough to the computer) and connecting the same USB s...

Move document between printers / More than one printer when changing USB port
I have an annoying problem in XP. I have only one printer, but if I plug it in a different printer port - XP insists it's a differnt printer!!! Stupid XP seems to do this with all USB devices (suggestion/complaint sent to MS). So I ended up with a load of documents in a dead queue, so why can't I just move them to the correct queue? The driver etc etc is the same as it's the same actual printer!!!! -- 11 parrots http://www.petersparrots.com 93 silly video clips http://www.insanevideoclips.com 1259 digital photos http://www.petersphotos.com Tell a man tha...

Cannot connect to printers via "Search For Printers" in Windows 2000
When I do a Start-Search-For Printers and try to right-click and connect to the printer the endusers aren't able to connect. As a domain administrator I don't have this problem. However, if the enduser goes to start-settings-printers-add printer they CAN connect to the printers. Anyone have any idea what is causing this problem. All of our printers have been successfully listed in the Active Directory. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. ...

Unable to print to an HP USB port printer...
Hi all, I've worked with an Intersystems person on this but we were unable to figure it out. I have an HP inkjet that is a USB printer. I also have an ancient Panasonic dot matrix printer connected as LPT1... I can print to both from any Windows application and from my MSM system. I can't, however, get the HP to work from Cache. The Panasonic works great (it's a workhorse of a printer - gotta give it that) from Cache. We've tried just about everything we can think of in the Config Manager Devices screen. We've tried "W" as the "Open Parameter&quo...

Interface to connect a USB printer to a parallel port
USB to Parallel port adaptors are two a penny, but with few Printers now having parallel ports it is getting difficult for us to offer printers to many RISC OS users. Does anyone know of a Parallel port to USB adaptor i.e. a computers parallel port to a printers USB port. I realise that as the adaptor would have to run a USB stack it's not an inconsequential design. I know we can recommend UniPods but for some such as a Siblius user running an A5000 there are a few downsides: cost, memory loss & not a very straight forward setup. We will often try and suggest an upgrade to a RiscPC ...

Connecting Mac and PC to a printer, via USB
OK, that pretty well describes what I want to do. We just bought an HP6110 All in one printer (scanner, fax machine, copier, coffee maker, etc). Currently, we have it hooked to my wife's e-Machines PC, through the USB port. USB is the only way to hook up this printer to a computer. Now, in the near future, I hope to be replacing my beige G3 with a newer Mac (though, I'm not sure when, or with what model yet). The question is, how do I hook up both computers to this printer? Does USB printer sharing work cross-platform? (I don't think it does). Can I hook them both up, using a USB h...

HP USB Printer Access via LAN
Hi, I have bought a HP PSC 1100 Printer/Scanner/Copier. The printer works well but there is a driver problem. The printer is attached to my PC and I want to share it with my notebook via LAN. Before I can print from the notebook (Win 98), I have to install the driver. But I am not able to install the driver, because the notebook does not have USB. HP only provides a 180 MB Full installer which checks if you have enough memory, USB and all that kind of stuff. I have not found a pure printer driver which comes along with a standard .inf file and the correct dlls (and about...

Web resources about - HP Laserjet 6L printer connect via USB port? - comp.periphs.printers

HP LaserJet 4 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The HP LaserJet 4 (abbreviated sometimes to LJ4 or HP4) is a group of monochrome laser printers produced in the early to mid-1990s as part of ...

HP LaserJet Pro MFP M277dw colour laser printer
Chemistry changes to the toner make this small office printer quite interesting

HP enables AirPrint in 8 more LaserJets
... today issued a firmware update which adds support for wireless printing from iOS devices via Apple’s AirPrint technology to eight new LaserJet ...

LaserJet 1200: Adios, faithful friend
... piece of equipment in my office. But after ten years and nearly 50,000 pages it's time it's time to look for a replacement for my HP LaserJet ...

HP announces new LaserJets for small, midsize business
HP announced today the availability of two new LaserJet printers aimed at small to midsize businesses. The LaserJet Pro 200 color M251 and MFP ...

gdgt's best deals for September 16th: HTC One, HP LaserJet Pro and a 32-inch LG HDTV
... offers, and won't last long. Today's hottest deals are the much-adored HTC One at its lowest price yet, and a sizzling bargain on an HP LaserJet ...

HP Combats Waste, Boosts Security With LaserJet Enterprise Printers
HP's latest business laser printers are more energy-efficient while preventing snoops from getting their hands on sensitive information.

Tens of millions of HP LaserJet printers vulnerable to remote hacking
... seems, though HP is yet to confirm it, that researchers from Columbia University have found a security hole in “tens of millions” of HP LaserJet ...

Linux 的 HP LaserJet Professional m1132 驅動設定
一般來說, Linux 的打印機抓到後, 就可以直接打印, 但是這台需要在多做點事情.

HP LaserJets vulnerable to remote file access
Some HP LaserJets and Color Laserjets are vulnerable to a directory traversal attack which could expose cached documents on the networked printers. ...