HP Photosmart 8450 Printer printing colors incorrectly.

Hello,

Ever since I had the HP Photosmart 8450 printer, as new from CompUSA,
from November 2004, I noticed its colors didn't do well after a few
months even though I didn't print much. The first incident occurred in
end of May 2005. You can read about it at
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.periphs.printers/browse_frm/thread/89a644f1d77c2e32/1d665f6a00bd8f18
(Google Groups won't let me reply to that thread). Bascially, it was not
printing colors like red (turned out to be yellowish).

I replaced the defective cartridge (97; tri-color) under warranty with a
new one from HP. It was fine after a few years, and it happened again in
February 2007. Note that I don't print a lot. I print maybe a few pages
every two weeks or more, and it is mostly Web pages with some images and
mostly texts. I print in colors too. According to HP's Web pages, this
is enough to keep the inks working properly.

Today, I noticed my colors are not correct even with best and maximum
quality. So, I thought it was time to change its tri-color cartridge
again even though I have about a half of ink left. I am still having
this problem even after changing the tri-color cartidge with a new one
(September 2006 on the box). I have to use best quality again to get the
correct colors. Best quality is slow speed. Normal is nice and fast, but
it can't output the correct colors. I used to be able to do that. :(

I also tried steps 3 and 4 in
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00254193&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=402150&rule=34749&lang=en
.... The print out shows missing red (just blank) in the top corner area
(between blue and yellow) and top center (between the thick blue and
yellow horizontal bars) --
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00254173.gif ...
Automated cleaning printer heads doesn't help.

Does this printer and/or HP cartridge(s) have problems that I don't know
about? If not, then any ideas why? Can cartridges dry out fast when
unused for a long time? During the summer, my room can be hot up to
almost 90 degrees(F) [Southern CA weather].

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"The ants are my friends, they're blowin' in the wind. The ant, sir, is
blowin' in the wind." --the misheard lyrics to Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant

"Ant" <ANTant@zimage.com> wrote in message

> Ever since I had the HP Photosmart 8450 printer, as new from CompUSA, from
> November 2004, I noticed its colors didn't do well after a few months even
> though I didn't print much. The first incident occurred in
[snip]
> Today, I noticed my colors are not correct even with best and maximum
> quality. So, I thought it was time to change its tri-color cartridge again
> even though I have about a half of ink left. I am still having this
> problem even after changing the tri-color cartidge with a new one
> (September 2006 on the box).

The date on the box is the "install by" date.  This cartrdige is a year past
its recommended installation time.

> I also tried steps 3 and 4 in
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00254193&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=402150&rule=34749&lang=en
> ... The print out shows missing red (just blank) in the top corner area
> (between blue and yellow) and top center (between the thick blue and
> yellow horizontal bars) --
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00254173.gif ...
> Automated cleaning printer heads doesn't help.

Try running the cleaning cycle three times.  If this does not clear the
problem you could try dunking the nozzles in hot water for a minute or so
and then carefully blotting them on a damp tissue.

> Does this printer and/or HP cartridge(s) have problems that I don't know
> about? If not, then any ideas why? Can cartridges dry out fast when unused
> for a long time? During the summer, my room can be hot up to almost 90
> degrees(F) [Southern CA weather].

Yes, the cartridges have a shelf life and being in elevated temperatures
makes things worse.  With your limited usage you would probably be better
off with using the #95 cartridge (less money, less ink) or perhaps even the
#93 (even less money, much less ink).  Do not store unused cartridges for
long periods of time, especially in hot areas.  Cartridges do have a shelf
life and in printer life.  Pay attention to the "install by" dates on the
cartridge.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

0
Bob
9/8/2007 4:32:22 PM
On 9/8/2007 9:32 AM PT, Bob Headrick typed:

>> Ever since I had the HP Photosmart 8450 printer, as new from CompUSA,
>> from November 2004, I noticed its colors didn't do well after a few
>> months even though I didn't print much. The first incident occurred in
> [snip]
>> Today, I noticed my colors are not correct even with best and maximum
>> quality. So, I thought it was time to change its tri-color cartridge
>> again even though I have about a half of ink left. I am still having
>> this problem even after changing the tri-color cartidge with a new one
>> (September 2006 on the box).
>
> The date on the box is the "install by" date.  This cartrdige is a year
> past its recommended installation time.
>
>> I also tried steps 3 and 4 in
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00254193&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=402150&rule=34749&lang=en
>> ... The print out shows missing red (just blank) in the top corner
>> area (between blue and yellow) and top center (between the thick blue
>> and yellow horizontal bars) --
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00254173.gif ...
>> Automated cleaning printer heads doesn't help.
>
> Try running the cleaning cycle three times.  If this does not clear the
> problem you could try dunking the nozzles in hot water for a minute or
> so and then carefully blotting them on a damp tissue.
>
>> Does this printer and/or HP cartridge(s) have problems that I don't
>> know about? If not, then any ideas why? Can cartridges dry out fast
>> when unused for a long time? During the summer, my room can be hot up
>> to almost 90 degrees(F) [Southern CA weather].
>
> Yes, the cartridges have a shelf life and being in elevated temperatures
> makes things worse.  With your limited usage you would probably be
> better off with using the #95 cartridge (less money, less ink) or
> perhaps even the #93 (even less money, much less ink).  Do not store
> unused cartridges for long periods of time, especially in hot areas.
> Cartridges do have a shelf life and in printer life.  Pay attention to
> the "install by" dates on the cartridge.

Thanks. Yeah, I always buy extra because I always run out of inks at the
wrong time like off-business hours. :) How much cheapers are those #95
and #93 compared to #97? I noticed my black and photograph cartidges
still work even though the dates were way farther.
--
"Be thine enemy an ant, see in him an elephant." --Turkish Proverb
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \    Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
Ant

HP Photosmart 8450 printer lost the fairly new HP Tri-Color Print Cartridge 97 cartridge...
Hello. Tonight, my very old HP Photosmart 8450 printer lost the fairly new HP Tri-Color Print Cartridge 97 cartridge (2014/08/24 Z; 1782606105249600) after I printed out a three/3 pages of B&W PDF application form after turning on the printer for a few minutes. The printer showed a blinking red print button border and its screen says "Color cartridge failed. Replace it, or ... remove it to print using ink-backup printing mode." I tried removing and reinserting the cartridge, turning off and on including unplugging its power cable, cleaning cartridge and print...

get HP color printer print black&white if some color cartridge is used up
the printer (HP Color LaserJet 3500) refuses to print anything until the supply is replaced. Isn't it really possible to print monochrome documents if one of the color (eg, cyan) cartridges ends? "A" <kkadrese@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:179c645b.0503230653.20e2c086@posting.google.com... > the printer (HP Color LaserJet 3500) refuses to print anything until > the supply is replaced. Isn't it really possible to print monochrome > documents if one of the color (eg, cyan) cartridges ends? > No. It uses the color inks to make the black look '...

Epson Stylus Color 900 - took out a full color cartridge to test in another printer
I downloaded and installed sscserve.exe from http://ssclg.com/epsone.shtml but I can't get that program to work or I still can't get the printer to print - not sure which (but there is NO ink printing from the printer now). Anyone use that app on this printer successfully? OR is there another app that will work? OR a hardware fix? Thanks! Brad ...

Any *good* printer drivers for HP Photosmart 7550 Photo printer?
I'm not picky,...really! All I want is a printer driver that will allow me to print up a standard 8.5"x11" page with 3, 5, however many pictures at one shot. I have to print one picture, put it back into the paper tray, and hope that in the next few attempts I won't print over another picture. There should at least be software that will provide the option to show the last few prints where they were on the page. SOFTWARE PROGRAMERS...here's an overlooked oportunity to make money...this is definately needed. Type in the preferred size of a picture and how man...

color printing problem with hp printers
I have a hp deskjet 990cse. The color stopped printing. I changed the cartridges, both black and color, cleaned the printheads,and made sure the settings were set to color. Photos do not print and colored text prints black. Any suugestions will be appreciated. ...

Any *good* printer drivers for HP Photosmart 7550 Photo printer? #2
I'm not picky,...really! All I want is a printer driver that will allow me to print up a standard 8.5"x11" page with 3, 5, however many pictures at one shot. I have to print one picture, put it back into the paper tray, and hope that in the next few attempts I won't print over another picture. There should at least be software that will provide the option to show the last few prints where they were on the page. SOFTWARE PROGRAMERS...here's an overlooked opportunity to make money...this is definitely needed. Type in the preferred size of a picture and how ma...

Missing color in HP Photosmart 1215 printer
In my four-year-old HP Photosmart color printer, I am missing the yellow color in printouts, causing gross color unbalance in printouts. Printing a test or diagnostic page shows a complete loss of the yellow portion on the page--no yellow is printing whatsoever. All other colors and black-and-white print normally. I tried cleaning the cartridge nozzles and contacts, as well as the carriage contacts. I also cleaned and primed the printer with no improvement. Finally, I changed both cartridges with no improvement. (My HP replacement cartridges are several years old, but they pr...

Any *good* printer drivers for the HP Photosmart 7550 photo printer in the MAC format?
I'm not picky,...really! All I want is a printer driver that will allow me to print up a standard 8.5"x11" page with 3, 5...however many pictures at one shot. I am using a PowerMac G4 (Macintosh). I have to print one picture, put it back into the paper tray, and hope that in the next few attempts I won't print over another picture. There should at least be software that will provide the option to show the last few prints where they were on the page. HEY, MAC SOFTWARE PROGRAMERS...here's an overlooked oportunity to make money...this is definately needed! ...

Printer addendum for HP printer

HP Photosmart 8450 printer, volume of the ink in cartridge
In one of the HP Photosmart 8450 reviews, i have found information on ink volume in each cartridge: "HP No. 344 Tri-Colour Inkjet Print Cartridge, 14 ml ink volume, C8766E HP No. 348 Photo Inkjet Print Cartridge, 13 ml ink volume, C9369E HP No. 100 Grey Photo Inkjet Print Cartridge, 15 ml, C9368W" I understand, that these volumes refer to each part of the three colour ink cartridge! meaning 14ml cyan + 14 ml magenta + 14 ml yellow, and so on. Are my expectations correct? Regards Tadeusz "Tadeusz Jerzy Korsak" <tkorsak@polbox.com> wrote in...

Color laser printer prints colors much darker than screen colors
I want to be able to print the standard basic colors** exactly the same way that they appear on the screen. A specific instance of this is that cyan*** is printed as a much darker shade of blue than appears on the screen. I have found this exact same problem exists across several laser printer brands and models, and is likely an issue with all laser printers. How can I correct this problem? ** (Defined by combinations of RGB values at their maximum value of 255 and half of their maximum value of 128) . *** cyan--->Red(0), Green(255), Blue(255) Peter Olcott wrote:...

FIX: HP 4000/4050 "41.5 Printer Error", printer printing blanks
Hello everyone Just posting this in the hope of making it easier for someone else down the line - we have an HP LaserJet 4050 that suddenly started throwing a 41.5 Printer Error and printing blanks. The fix turned out to be very easy but if I hadn't figured it out it may have resulted in an expensive service call. My separation roller - the blue & grey roller in the paper tray - had moved out of place. I just pushed it back in place and it was fixed. Here's a page that has pictures of the separation and feed rollers on a 4000 series printer. The separation roller is part of the...

Unable to print from old NEC SuperScript 870 printer after installing HP DeskJet 450 mobile printer driver.
Hi. Is there a reason why I cannot have multiple printer drivers set up at the same time? My father's old Toshiba laptop runs Windows 98 SE and has various printer drivers installed. He has an Epson 785EPX, NEC SuperScript 870, HP DeskJet 450 mobile printer, and many others that I cannot remember right now. Both NEC and HP printers use LPT1/parallel port. Epson printer uses USB port through an USB hub. I don't know about the other printers. NEC printer didn't have any problems before installing HP's printer driver and rebooting. HP printer worked. Then, we switc...

Web resources about - HP Photosmart 8450 Printer printing colors incorrectly. - comp.periphs.printers

Fat finger transactions incorrectly sent online
WE know it’s important to enter the right account and BSB numbers when transferring money and paying bills, but what happens if you get it wrong? ...

'Saint': Are you pronouncing Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's son's name incorrectly?
Kimye loves all things Parisian, so some say the pronunciation of the newborn's name is French, as in 'San' like frying pan or Yves Saint Laurent. ...

One in five migrant workers on 457 visas could be underpaid or incorrectly employed
One in five migrant workers&nbsp;in Australia on 457 visas are being underpaid or employed in jobs they are not qualified for, a workplace audits ...

Counties may be incorrectly labeled as poverty stricken
Datong’s case exposes how authorities do not strictly implement policy determining the areas rankings according to criteria and standards.

Apple App Store bug incorrectly claims Facebook, Instagram, other apps offer in-app-purchases
The iTunes App Store is incorrectly featuring the “Offers In-App Purchases” badge on select apps that do not include In-App Purchases, as David ...

CNN’s Jeffrey Toobin incorrectly says a lot of Americans support Bush’s domestic spying
“It is an issue where a lot of Americans think, ‘we’re spying on Al Qaeda, good, and the more the better’.” – Jeffrey Toobin, CNN, right now ...

iOS 4.1: Repeating alarms may trigger incorrectly before or after DST change
In some regions, shortly before or after the daylight saving time (DST) change, repeating alarms created in the Clock app may work incorrectly. ...

A map in yesterday's editions incorrectly showed the...
... Home → Collections → Regrets November 11, 1995 A map in yesterday's editions incorrectly showed the boundaries for the proposed Chapman's ...

Booting Up: Apple’s Holiday Is Annoying and Incorrectly Filmed
So sullen. (Photo: YouTube) Bitcoin's value sunk last night after a Chinese exchange stopped accepting deposits because of the country's new ...

"What is it Gingrich is afraid his wife of 18 years is going to remember incorrectly?"
"And what could be so bad that it would eclipse all that many Christian conservatives have already forgiven and forgotten about his history?" ...