HP Printer Software to show INK Level? hp 932c

>Where can I get software that shows how much ink level I have left in
>the cartridge.   I have a HP 932c printer.   The CD that came with my
>printer was in french, so I found some drivers on the internet a couple of
>years ago (in English).    But mine does not show ink level.

I have posted this before and as a result downloaded the latest software
and drivers from the hp website.    But my printer settings still don't show
any ink level gage.    Is there a 1-800 number for help with hp printers? tx

0
lbbs

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

In article <Dl0Ib.95573$8Y4.612141@read2.cgocable.net>, "lbbs" <lbbs
@dadffo.ca> says...
> >Where can I get software that shows how much ink level I have left in
> >the cartridge.   I have a HP 932c printer.   The CD that came with my
> >printer was in french, so I found some drivers on the internet a couple of
> >years ago (in English).    But mine does not show ink level.
>
> I have posted this before and as a result downloaded the latest software
> and drivers from the hp website.    But my printer settings still don't show
> any ink level gage.    Is there a 1-800 number for help with hp printers? tx

  You MUST have full bidrectional support for ink levels to work in
Windows. Further, I don't think it works with USB on some models. More
details on which version of Windows, and your connection type (parallel or
USB) would help. Also, some driver versions come in corporate or home. The
home versions have the ink level support and install using a setup
program. The corporate doesn't support in levels, and installs using Add
Printer and looking for the .INF file.

  You can get the level directly from the printer. Hold down the power
button, press the X button 4 times, then the paper-feed button once (or is
it twice?), then let go of the power button. This will print a status
page. At the bottom is the estimated ink levels. I=black, II=color.

  Also, you can simply open up the cover. The carriage will move over and
point at one of 5 icons molded into the printer. The ones with little
waves in them mean ink low. One dot=black, 3 dots = color. The sad faces
mean a cartridge problem. The happy face means everything is fine.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
12/29/2003 11:27:23 PM
Thanks, that was  helpful.   btw: I have win2k pro, if that  makes any
difference.

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
> [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
> the cited author.]
>
> In article <Dl0Ib.95573$8Y4.612141@read2.cgocable.net>, "lbbs" <lbbs
> @dadffo.ca> says...
> > >Where can I get software that shows how much ink level I have left in
> > >the cartridge.   I have a HP 932c printer.   The CD that came with my
> > >printer was in french, so I found some drivers on the internet a couple
of
> > >years ago (in English).    But mine does not show ink level.
> >
> > I have posted this before and as a result downloaded the latest software
> > and drivers from the hp website.    But my printer settings still don't
show
> > any ink level gage.    Is there a 1-800 number for help with hp
printers? tx

>   You MUST have full bidrectional support for ink levels to work in
> Windows. Further, I don't think it works with USB on some models. More
> details on which version of Windows, and your connection type (parallel or
> USB) would help. Also, some driver versions come in corporate or home. The
> home versions have the ink level support and install using a setup
> program. The corporate doesn't support in levels, and installs using Add
> Printer and looking for the .INF file.
>
>   You can get the level directly from the printer. Hold down the power
> button, press the X button 4 times, then the paper-feed button once (or is
> it twice?), then let go of the power button. This will print a status
> page. At the bottom is the estimated ink levels. I=black, II=color.
>
>   Also, you can simply open up the cover. The carriage will move over and
> point at one of 5 icons molded into the printer. The ones with little
> waves in them mean ink low. One dot=black, 3 dots = color. The sad faces
> mean a cartridge problem. The happy face means everything is fine.
>
> --
> If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
> All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
> law!!
> http://home.att.net/~andyross

0
lbbs
12/29/2003 11:55:29 PM
In article <W93Ib.70565$mV5.58600@read1.cgocable.net>, "lbbs" <lbbs
@dadffo.ca> says...
> Thanks, that was  helpful.   btw: I have win2k pro, if that  makes any
> difference.

  A last effort is to try and get as clean an install as possible.

  Disconnect the printer from the computer.

  Uninstall the HP software. You can do this from Start/Settings/Control
Panel/Add/Remove Programs, or rerun the printer setup program, but choose
the remove option.

  Go to Start/Settings/Printers. On the File menu, go to Server
Properties, then the Drivers tab. Remove any drivers for your 932.

  Reboot the computer to flush out anything left over.

  Download the latest Home version from HP:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?
reg=&cc=us&softitem=dj966en&prodId=hpdeskjet919034
&lc=en&plc=&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software
(shorter version: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G68643BE6)

  Run the download, which will extract the files then automatically runs
the setup.

  At some point, it will tell you to connect the printer. Do it then. If
not, wait until it ends, then connect the printer.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross
0
Andrew
12/30/2003 3:55:33 PM
Those icons that show the levels, shows that my color cartridge is empty.
The
only question I have is, how can that one arrow show the level for both the
color
and the black cartridge at the same time? tx

"Andrew Rossmann" <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote in message
> [This followup was posted to comp.periphs.printers and a copy was sent to
> the cited author.]
>
> In article <Dl0Ib.95573$8Y4.612141@read2.cgocable.net>, "lbbs" <lbbs
> @dadffo.ca> says...
> > >Where can I get software that shows how much ink level I have left in
> > >the cartridge.   I have a HP 932c printer.   The CD that came with my
> > >printer was in french, so I found some drivers on the internet a couple
of
> > >years ago (in English).    But mine does not show ink level.
> >
> > I have posted this before and as a result downloaded the latest software
> > and drivers from the hp website.    But my printer settings still don't
show
> > any ink level gage.    Is there a 1-800 number for help with hp
printers? tx

>   You MUST have full bidrectional support for ink levels to work in
> Windows. Further, I don't think it works with USB on some models. More
> details on which version of Windows, and your connection type (parallel or
> USB) would help. Also, some driver versions come in corporate or home. The
> home versions have the ink level support and install using a setup
> program. The corporate doesn't support in levels, and installs using Add
> Printer and looking for the .INF file.
>
>   You can get the level directly from the printer. Hold down the power
> button, press the X button 4 times, then the paper-feed button once (or is
> it twice?), then let go of the power button. This will print a status
> page. At the bottom is the estimated ink levels. I=black, II=color.
>
>   Also, you can simply open up the cover. The carriage will move over and
> point at one of 5 icons molded into the printer. The ones with little
> waves in them mean ink low. One dot=black, 3 dots = color. The sad faces
> mean a cartridge problem. The happy face means everything is fine.
>
> --
> If there is a no_junk in my address, please REMOVE it before replying!
> All junk mail senders will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the
> law!!
> http://home.att.net/~andyross

0
lbbs
12/30/2003 5:54:03 PM
>>Where can I get software that shows how much ink level I have left in
>>the cartridge.   I have a HP 932c printer.   The CD that came with my
>>printer was in french, so I found some drivers on the internet a couple of
>>years ago (in English).    But mine does not show ink level.

The HP PCL Technical Reference Manual (on CD-ROM is less than $10, but
it's hard to purchase even though it is featured on an HP website).

I've not looked for commands which do ink-level reporting (or any other
reporting, for that matter), but if they exist and they are PCL (Printer
Control Language), they BETTER be in the Tech Ref Manual!

--Myron.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms:  soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD EE (retired).   "Barbershop" tenor.   CDL(PTXS).  W0PBV.   (785) 539-4448